Can We Save Tonight?

Submitted into Contest #95 in response to: Start your story with someone being presented with a dilemma.... view prompt

24 comments

Romance Creative Nonfiction Contemporary

“You didn’t do much, but I fell for you – so much to have lost myself. I fought it every time. I cried, prayed, smeared it with detachment, yet even my distance tactic proved weak in battle.”

 

“Joe, I have fallen deeply, and my redemption now rests in your hands. I love you very much, and I can’t help it. I always thought of myself as one too difficult to please. How could I now be swept off both feet? Well, I am; I’m still hard-to-please. But you are the only exception.”

 

“It’s two and half decades of defending this hymen gate, but I’m more than willing – and never been this passionate to will their keys to anyone but you. Joe, please take it.”

 

Joe froze. He froze again.

 

It was a breezy night. At about midnight, the winds seemed to have heightened. The netted windows slid half-open, permitting the cool air to chill their partly exposed bodies. It was Joe’s place, and Amber had visited.


The plan was not to spend the night, but emergencies happen—and the Lagos traffic, who can deal? It was getting late. Torn between letting her go by morning or facing the Friday ghouls of Lagos, Joe struggled. Although he hesitated, he seemed to have decided—in silence.

 

The bed lamp was on; it was the only illumination in the room besides the glow on Amber’s face. Her speech had sent Joe speechless. He looked around for a befitting reply but found nothing; nothing was coming. Maybe she caught a glimpse of his shocks, fears, and mixed uncertainties as he grappled with them. But these emotions were more powerful to suppress; they spilled out at once!

 

Yet the battle was not over, for a man likes to appear invulnerable. Hurrying to counter what she might have captured, Joe poured out a long smile. But Amber was not satisfied; she locked her eyes in his, waiting for his words. Her opening speech was precise – yet long, and her confidence was territorial, strong enough to displace any man’s composure. So Joe waited: his silence tarried in that smile, allowing him to form an appropriate response.

 

But what is said about not keeping the lady waiting? Again, Joe smiled, slowly readjusting his lower lip that stood too long in awe – lest it dents the genuineness of his beam. Joe sought to ease her of the depths she had shared: to make her comfortable, not regretting a single word. But she saw all his vulnerabilities before any quick scheme. And that enduring silence made her cringe.

 

The story of her kid sister ran through Joe’s mind. He replayed the account as told by an acquaintance. The contact narrated how that sister had begged him to be gentle with her — he was going to be her first. She expressed how painful she anticipated the breaking-in and pleaded for a slow pace. His heart sank, but in joy. And he said to himself, “What a lucky man I am. I won’t think twice about marrying her!”

 

He continued recounting, “I approached her gateway that night with mighty erections, cushioned by the joys of meeting a virgin. But quickly, I realized that there was never a need to be slow. The gates were wide open, surely it was an express route, and I was just another passer-by.”

 

“No! People are unique!” Joe wrestled within himself; he knew better. But it’s one thing to learn of a story, yet another to not generalize it.

 

Even here with Amber, Joe remained lost, unsure of what to do. That sister’s story had struck him hard, yet he refused to confirm it, judging it as a family thing.

 

Amber’s stares were haunting. So, he drew her closer to lean into him, for he was saving himself from the fires in her eyes. Shortly, Amber pulled away—tormenting him even more with her gaze. But Joe recalled her slowly. Holding tight her now shivering hands, he pressed in a bear hug. She needed it; her palpitations required the calm.

 

Finally, Joe found some words; he recovered them during the embrace and whispered, “Hey, it’s okay to keep these gates as they are—until nuptial vows. Please.” Joe was still speaking when Amber squeezed further into the hug, rendering the rest of his words broken, “Let. us. save. to-nigh.”

 

The hug lasted a while, and they fell asleep in each other’s arms. No, Joe fell asleep in her arms. Nights like this can be remarkably long; even in his sleep, Joe found himself waiting for dawn.

 

It wasn’t long before Joe was awoken by fingers caressing his back; they tickled much, stirring the sensations he had preserved. When he regained some consciousness, he jerked to interrupt the arousing strokes. He tried finding an escape. One reason to get out of bed will do; a rational, believable excuse. Pretending to be pressed, Joe ran his feet for the pair of slippers by the bed.

 

At the restroom, Joe settled on the toilet bowl. He tried to flush down his sensualities, but they were not ready to go down the drain, forcing a growing erection that refused to be tamed. The boner stretched beyond his briefs — head high, an indestructible commando.

 

The toilet’s call was taking too long, and he managed to back himself out, slipping into the bed as not to bother the sleeping damsel. But she was awake, and Joe was soon welcomed with a crossed arm to his sides — cuddles, kisses.

 

Argh! Her kisses were firm like a first-timer’s; she had assumed kissing to be the colliding and munching of lips. The entrée of romance? No! Sensei Joe had to school her in the art, and she was a fast learner.

 

More kisses followed; an aroused man awakened. Joe was in the clouds, and his ‘true’ spirit left him vulnerable in the cold hands of lust.

 

Lust possesses a crazy strength, and she flourishes in the night—even in the corridors of darkness. Like a thousand warriors tugging a chord against one, was this war. Joe’s defeat was sure before the battle bell rang, for he was alone. “And where is the light I was supposed to be?” He sorrowed.

 

The power supply went out, but the cold stayed back, and every part of Joe was as charged as the heated moment. “Do it, Joe! Take me!” Amber groaned, wrenching the sheets that wrapped their bare bodies. “I may bleed, but I’m ready!” Her pose was invitational; she flung her braids to expose the contouring gleams of her jaw. She was indeed beautiful, even in her intense moans.

 

Once more, Joe thought back on that narrative, but now with shivers. She was true; Amber hadn’t known any man. Her hymens were like high-men with shields and bucklers, and they frowned at Joe when he crashed into them. They stood fearsome, formidable beyond seven Great Walls, without a slight fissure! They were still—sealed and taut.

 

But Joe’s arousal sought to double his confirmations. He ran his fingers to verify that he was in the right direction. Only then did he notice the rigid breastplates of these guards; he also met with their furrows.

 

Indeed, Amber was as tight as a drum, an unbroken blood wall. In front of those sturdy gates was the collapse of all Joe’s passions. There and again, he mumbled in a shaky voice, “let us. save. tonight.”


May 21, 2021 20:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Charlie Murphy
16:57 May 31, 2021

Great story! But, you did a little too much telling and not enough showing.

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
10:47 Jun 01, 2021

Thank you, Charlie! I do appreciate your feedback. Please, can you take a moment to point out an instance where I 'told' too much? Thanking you in advance, Charlie! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:48 May 26, 2021

Wow!! powerful use of words. Powerful descriptions. Twas so engaging and I really like the subtle progression of the events. Great writing style. It's the likes of your kind that challenge the writing potentials in me waiting to be unlocked🥴

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
06:13 May 27, 2021

Thank you, Beauty! Can we have those potentials unlocked already? I can't wait! 😁😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Onuabuchi Lizzie
22:50 May 22, 2021

Well-done

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
06:13 May 27, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Oluwatosin Issac
12:22 May 22, 2021

What a captivating write up.💓

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
20:00 May 22, 2021

Thank you, Tosin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shalom Odama
08:52 May 22, 2021

I love how evocative your words are. I was confused along some lines though, but my curiosity had me skip understanding because of the suspense. Great job

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
09:48 May 22, 2021

Oh, Shalom! Thank you!! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rhema Osibe
08:36 May 22, 2021

Wow, this is amazing! ❤

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
09:54 May 22, 2021

Thanks, Rhema! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Samuel Omokore
08:09 May 22, 2021

Wow. At first, it was as if you didn't know to fully express the writing. I felt a little bit of tautology. Reading on, I was wrong. I found out that you were indeed taking your time. You engaged me slowly, driving my interest even more progressively. Nice one, Jerry Osibe. I hope you increase the intensity along the way keeping it more suspenseful.

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
09:53 May 22, 2021

Ouch! My pace! In trying not to be too fast, I shot myself there. Thank you for your observation, Samuel Omokore. I've noted them. Thank you, sir! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jacob Are
07:07 May 22, 2021

Well, Jerry. I don't like suspense! Now, I have to be worried about what finally happened.😉 Nice one, Jerry.

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
08:05 May 22, 2021

Haha! 😅 Jacob, you're not alone. I'm worried too! Thank you for stopping by! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Enyichukwu Offia
07:07 May 22, 2021

I can identify with this story! I cannot recollect how many times I found myself in this cloud without 'high-men'. God is simply gracious, He has made me righteous and I am precious to Him.

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
08:06 May 22, 2021

Wow! Thank you for sharing, Enyichukwu! God is simply gracious! ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Onimisi Taiwo
06:54 May 22, 2021

Wow. Nice one. I was forced to read this, but I must say I couldn't stop from the first read. Engaging, Progressive, suspense filled... Keep it up.

Reply

Jeremiah Osibe
08:07 May 22, 2021

Whoa! Thank you, Taiwo! Cheers! ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Egbe
06:10 May 22, 2021

Engaging. I love the progression of words and how subtly they linger; there's no way you'd forget this one on time.

Reply

Enyichukwu Offia
07:08 May 22, 2021

Mary was that you in the story?

Reply

Mary Egbe
07:37 May 22, 2021

At some point I thought it was😅 But no, that is not me in the story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremiah Osibe
08:08 May 22, 2021

Ouch! Glad I made those changes! 😅 Thank you, Mary! ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.