Marshmallow Pride

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

328 comments

Friendship

THIS IS DEDICATED TO THE MARSHMALLOWS, CELESTE, KATE, NAINIKA, MIRA, JENNIE, (AND ME) FOR BEING SO NICE AND NURTURING AND FOR BEING SO AMAXING. NEW MALLOWS HAVE JOINED BUT THESE ARE THE ORIGINALS. THESE BOOKS WILL CHANGE OVER TIME, THEY ARE NOT SET IN STONE FOREVER. HAPPY NEW YEAR, LAST STORY OF 2020!!!



10. Keeper of the Lost Cities


“No. Absolutely not.” Celeste took the pencil from me and broke it in her hands. “I refuse to put that on the list behind the Great Gatsby. I never got the storyline of Gatsby and Daisy, but KotLC is awesome.” 


Jennie kept on nodding in agreement, and she inched closer to Celeste to pick up the shards of my pencil before breaking it again. 


“All right, all right, I’ll take it off.” No I wouldn’t. They can say what they want about my choices, that doesn’t mean I’m changing them. I shoved Celeste lightly, and Jennie fake-fell to enunciate the HEINOUS CRIME I COMMITTED BY PUSHING OVER CELESTE. If I’m not allowed to push my friends, I might as well be a criminal.


9. The Great Gatsby


“YOU LIAR!!! YOU SAID YOU WOULD PUT KOTLC BEFORE THIS!!!” Jennie and Celeste spoke almost in tandem, as if they were playing a mega-game of jinx. 


“Come on, guys, this is like a classic. It’s one of the most famous American novels, give him a break.” Nainika, obviously the only one to actually have read it, chimed in with a smile. There we had it, team Gatsby and team Foster-Keefe. 


8. Beloved 


“Have you even read this book?” Mira was always questioning me, always skeptical of my book-nerd omnipotence. 


“Eh, I skimmed through it.” This was around the time that Kate chimed in, shoving me right over the log. We were at a campout, toasting some marshmallows while discussing booknerdom. Of course, Kate had read Beloved. She’d read all of the books that we hadn’t. 


“Well, why did you include it then?!?!?” Mira was yelling now, as loud as I’d always expected her comments to be IRL. 


“Even if I haven’t read it, Toni Morrison is a queen above queens. She’s the Ailee of books.” Mira started cackling the way she always did, but don’t worry, she’s not a dark witch, that’s just how she laughs.


7. One Hundred Years of Solitude


“Ok, I have no objections to this one.” Kate gave me a fist-bump from across the fire. 


“See?? Kate’s with me!! This one slaps you right in the face.” None of the other Mallows had read it, but they trusted our combined judgment. 


“How’re everyone’s marshmallows?” Mira was already playing around with hers, mushing it into the graham crackers. Mine was burning up, charring just the way I like it.


“Luke, you’re gonna kill us all with that demon monster.” We all laughed, but my marshmallow kept roasting. 


6. The Wife


“Ok, is Luke the only one that’s read this one?” Kate nodded, which made everyone gasp in awe. Other than my all-time favorite book of all time, there were only a couple of books that all of us combined hadn’t read. 


“Really?? No Anton Chekhov fans?? How dare you?? YOU CALL YOURSELVES WRITERS!?!?!” This was how I was sometimes, fire-monster crazy about the books I loved. They’d gotten used to it by now, they just rolled with it and repented.


5. 1984


As soon as I said the “4”, they all nodded their head and started spouting crazy stuff about “Big Brother” and “Ingsoc”. Ha, the children, they thought that they knew books. WERE THEY FLUENT IN THE ENTIRE LANGUAGE OF NEWSPEAK??? I thought not. 


“You people. I took the time to learn all of the languages of Newspeak and I CREATE NEW WORDS EVERY YEAR!!!” Mira started fake-falling backward to be dramatic. Well, it’s true!


4. And Then There Were None


“No. This is not high enough.” Jennie started flying into a full-on rage, smashing her skewer everywhere and yelling about Lawrence Wargrave.


“I adore this book, Jen, you know I do. Howeverrrrrrrr, the other books in front of this are better. I’m so sorry, Agatha Christie.” I prayed to the lords of literature that they would forgive me.


“And Then There Were None is an amazing book. It slaps. IT SLAPS!” Celeste started emphasizing the slaps, slapping her legs as hard as she could.


“I am aware of that. I understand…” I had to keep trying to appease them, and eventually they calmed down a little more, but I was glad to have such faithful Christieites as my friends.


3. War and Peace


“Ohhhhhhhhhh, yes. YES.” Jennie and I were obviously on the same page.


“Did you guys even read this?” I was talking to everyone but Jen. 


“...No… too long.” Mira cowered in shame of what she had just uttered. Sure, it was 1600 words, but it was worth it.


“Ugh, are any of you guys even gonna eat your s’mores?” Kate was a s’more enthusiast, with only one motto: Get s’more s’mores. If there’s not enough, get s’more. I was more low-key with my s’mores consumption.


2. Crime and Punishment


“Luke, you’re the only one that’s read this.” Nainika decided not to spare me any pain and just tell it to me straight out. 


“What??????!?!?!?!?” I screamed like a deranged parrot. Everyone started laughing, trying to calm me down. How could I be calm when none of my friends had read one of the best books of all time? They don’t know any of the characters, they don’t have a favorite, nothing. Sacrilege, that’s what I call it. 


“You are all sacrilegious fools,” I said slowly, trying to let it sink in that they needed to read it in order to get back in my good graces.


“Ugh, come on.” They all threw s’mores at me, and I forgave them. Never hold grudges against your friends, that’s what I’ve learned. 


1. Atlas Shrugged


“Ah, yeah, I know, John Galt.” Jennie and Mira had heard it so many times. So. Many. Times. I couldn’t get through a day without saying it.


“It is literally the best book I’ve ever read. I loved it so much.” They were blown to the ground by the gravity of that statement. For a dedicated booknerd, as they all were, the favorite book is not a stamp of approval given lightly.


“Fine. We’ll all read it.” They said that now, but I knew they wouldn’t. Still, one can hope. 


Authors Note:

EVERYONE READ THE BOOKS ON THIS LIST. NOW.


December 29, 2020 20:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

328 comments

Amaya .
20:02 Dec 30, 2020

heyy could you check out my bio?

Reply

. .
21:24 Dec 30, 2020

Of course!!

Reply

Amaya .
21:44 Dec 30, 2020

what do you think?

Reply

. .
22:34 Dec 30, 2020

I totally agree!! We need to care for our environment, especially when we're all at home burning more fossil fuels.

Reply

Amaya .
22:52 Dec 30, 2020

yay thank you! you could sign it if you want but if you cant I completely understandd

Reply

. .
22:54 Dec 30, 2020

Of course I will!!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:22 Dec 30, 2020

THIS IS TOTALLY 1000% AWESOME! XD

Reply

. .
18:22 Dec 30, 2020

OMG THANKS SO MUCH GINGERRRRRR

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
15:17 Dec 30, 2020

"Mira started cackling the way she always did, but don’t worry, she’s not a dark witch, that’s just how she laughs." Oh, yes. I SMUSH MY (burnt) MARSHMALLOWS BETWEEN THE GRAHAM CRACKERS, TOO!!! "“...No… too long.” Mira cowered in shame of what she had just uttered. Sure, it was 1600 words, but it was worth it." I would legit say that Yeah, you do scream like a deranged parrot when I haven't read any of the books you have....it's hilarious. "“Ah, yeah, I know, John Galt.” Jennie and Mira had heard it so many times. So. Many. Times. I co...

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:19 Dec 30, 2020

"...KoTLC is awesome" is the best line you could ever have in a story. BUT YOU FORGOT THE RIORDANVERSE!!!!!!! (The representation! Drama! Action!) AND SCYTHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (MAKE A PART 2????????????????????)

Reply

. .
15:55 Dec 30, 2020

Lol I mighttttt

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:58 Dec 30, 2020

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY

Reply

. .
16:31 Dec 30, 2020

Lol I loved writing thisssssss

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:32 Dec 30, 2020

I bet, lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:17 Dec 30, 2020

I love this so much! You had me by the first few lines, “KotLC is awesome.” A beautiful line, all in its self. Great story and I appreciate all the marshmallows who help with upvoting:)

Reply

. .
12:32 Dec 30, 2020

Omg thanks so much Luna :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Upvotey Girl ✨
17:27 Apr 05, 2021

FRICK THIS IS SO FRICKIN CREATIVE LOVE THIS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jay DMer
17:06 Feb 10, 2021

MaRsHmElLoW PRIDEEEEE! :)

Reply

. .
17:11 Feb 10, 2021

XD

Reply

Jay DMer
17:18 Feb 10, 2021

Yes yes, I'm a marshmallow:) Funny thought: when marshmallows get stale they get hard on the outside, but they're still soft in the inside. Maybe that's us. We are tough mallows who have cool shells of creativity and don't really like downvoters :p and we are super kind and soft and amazing inside...

Reply

. .
17:20 Feb 10, 2021

XDXDXDXDXD THAT IS SO TRUEEEEEEEEEE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mazie Gray
13:15 Jan 30, 2021

IMMA MARSHMALLOW (please?) -Brooke

Reply

. .
14:57 Jan 30, 2021

OFC!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niketa Nitya
10:43 Jan 23, 2021

can I be marshmallow

Reply

. .
11:49 Jan 23, 2021

Sure!! We don't upvote anymore, but we will spread kindness and cheer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel Cross
18:13 Jan 21, 2021

IMMA MARSHMALLOW

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
21:15 Jan 17, 2021

You've read War and Peace?? Respect, man, that's cool. Is it good? Light story, I enjoyed it.

Reply

. .
12:53 Jan 19, 2021

Yeah, I haveeeeee its great

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
17:52 Jan 14, 2021

Creative with a capital C! (I thought I'd try that, but apparently, I don't know who would use that, it doesnt sound very cool!!!!!) Very funny. Great job!!!

Reply

. .
17:54 Jan 14, 2021

Thanks a ton, Cassia!!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
17:56 Jan 14, 2021

Of course!!! I read on Brooke D's bio that if you comment IMMA MARSHMALLOW, then you could be one, but I certainly, don't want to intrude!!!!! Really Good!!!!!!! You have so much more creativity than me, I wish I could write like you!

Reply

. .
17:57 Jan 14, 2021

Of course you can be a marshmallow!! Thanks so much, it takes practice.

Reply

Jexica Marcell
18:01 Jan 14, 2021

Oh thank you! Could you read my stories "when I come back" and "the chronicles of I DON'T UNDERSTAND"? If you cant thats fine and thank you again!!!

Reply

. .
18:02 Jan 14, 2021

OFC!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
16:19 Jan 05, 2021

Marhmallow comment thread cause Amethyst cant find the other one XD Anyways, lilliana's a mallow YAASSS

Reply

. .
16:20 Jan 05, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:21 Jan 05, 2021

YASSS SHES FREAKING OUT!!!

Reply

. .
16:21 Jan 05, 2021

HAPPPYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:21 Jan 05, 2021

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/75/submissions/48821/ HEHEHE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
16:09 Jan 05, 2021

Starting another marshmallow thread 'cause....LILLIAN IS OFFICIALLY A MARSHMALLOW :DDDD Here's her profile - https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/lillian-brooks/

Reply

. .
16:11 Jan 05, 2021

OMG YES SHE'S SO NICE I HAPPY!!!!!!!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:13 Jan 05, 2021

Yeah!!!! Also Do y'all wanna secretly upvote amethyst to 1000 to surprise her? I wanna make her feel better. She can't find this comment thread for some reason which is actually perfect!!! I will make another fake comment thread and send her a link to that one, but only if you guys are on board :DD

Reply

. .
16:15 Jan 05, 2021

Ofc!!!!!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:17 Jan 05, 2021

YESS PLAN INTO ACTIONNN

Reply

. .
16:18 Jan 05, 2021

She's at 1020

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
00:46 Jan 02, 2021

NEW STORY ALERT BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Reply

. .
15:34 Jan 02, 2021

YAYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. Jude
12:02 Jan 01, 2021

Nice! I was going to ask if this was based on real events, and all i had to do was scroll, and find the real life embodiements of the characters I had just read about! That was really cool! Well done! I really enjoyed this list, it was lots of fun, and a really appropriate, fitting topic! I could really feel the essence of the story, and hear all the characters voices. It would really help if you could check out one of my stories, if you don't mind! E.

Reply

. .
15:31 Jan 01, 2021

Thank you so much!! I really enjoyed making it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:43 Dec 31, 2020

ok I WILL READ THOSE BOOKS great story! question: how do you become part of the marshmallows? :D

Reply

. .
17:45 Dec 31, 2020

You put IMMA MARSHMALLOW in your bio, and you tell all of the other members!!! Then we tell you if someone needs upvoting at the moment Celeste, Varsha, Akshaya Sutrave and Nora K. need help. Happy you wanna join!!! The members are named in my bio!!!

Reply

17:51 Dec 31, 2020

yayyy! also sapphire is a marshmallow, she added it in her bio

Reply

. .
17:52 Dec 31, 2020

OH YAY!!!!!YOU GUYS SHOULD TELL TGE OTHER MEMBERS!!!!

Reply

17:53 Dec 31, 2020

do i just comment in a story?

Reply

. .
18:01 Dec 31, 2020

Yeah, that’ll do it😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
18:14 Dec 31, 2020

HEY AMETHYST I WAS THINKING THE MALLOWS SHOULD HAVE A MEETING PLACE AND ME AND CELESTE THOUGHT THAT THIS STORY WOULD BE A HREAT ONE!!!! TELL SAPPHIRE, THIS IS NOW THE MALLOW MEETING PLACE

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
22:58 Jan 01, 2021

yeah celeste managed to recruit me

Reply

23:00 Jan 01, 2021

okee

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
15:23 Dec 31, 2020

Lovely story! Unluckily I haven't read a book that was mentioned in the list:/

Reply

. .
15:24 Dec 31, 2020

Awww, you should read them!!!

Reply

Amel Parvez
15:25 Dec 31, 2020

Yeah! I will make sure of that.

Reply

. .
15:26 Dec 31, 2020

ESPECIALLY ATLAS SHRUGGED

Reply

Amel Parvez
15:27 Dec 31, 2020

Okay, sure. Btw what type of book is it?

Reply

. .
15:27 Dec 31, 2020

It's like kinda philosophical, with a lot of industry stuff, but its amazing. It's real long tho.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

The humor is great! Love it! I also like the all caps parts, they're my faves. That and the bit about war and peace. LOL

Reply

. .
15:01 Dec 31, 2020

Lol I know I love the caps!!! Thanks you, if I do this again you'll be in it bc you're a marshmallow now!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
20:57 Dec 30, 2020

NEW STORY!!!

Reply

. .
21:24 Dec 30, 2020

OMG

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:29 Dec 30, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Litlover! I got downvoted:(

Reply

. .
17:43 Jan 11, 2021

NOOOOOOOOOOOO ALERT THE MALLOWS WE WILL UPVOTE

Reply

Thank you Luke!!!

Reply

. .
18:04 Jan 11, 2021

NO PROB

Reply

I got downvoted again Luke:(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.