15 comments

Speculative Suspense Adventure

The subsequent entries have been transcribed verbatim from a weathered journal discovered just off the Lake 40 trail in (redacted), Washington, USA. It’s contents provide a first-hand account of a series of events in the summer of 2019, detailing the author’s explorations into obscure rituals and the alleged supernatural. The authenticity of the experiences and the identity of the journal’s author remain unknown. Readers are advised to approach with an open mind, recognizing the blurred line between reality and fiction that often accompanies such discoveries.


Journal Entry: June 1, 2019

Trying out ‘The Fade’ tonight. I’ve got all the mirrors set up. Not entirely sure what to expect, but the folks on the subreddit seem pretty intrigued by it. Let’s see if it lives up to the hype.


Journal Entry: June 5, 2019

‘The Fade’ was... weird? Didn’t quite get the profound experience some others claimed, but there were a couple of moments I can’t explain. Definitely felt like something was watching.


Journal Entry: June 8, 2019

I stumbled upon another one of those urban legend “games.” Thinking of giving this a shot next weekend. It involves a candle, a dark room, and whispered chants. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen, right?


Journal Entry: June 14, 2019

Okay, the candle game was a bust. Nothing happened. Maybe it’s just my skeptical mind, but I’m feeling like a lot of these rituals are just urban legends blown out of proportion. Still, there’s something oddly satisfying about trying them out.


Journal Entry: June 20, 2019

A friend told me about another ritual, but this one’s outside. A solo hike at midnight called the ‘Lake 40 Challenge.’ Initially brushed it off, but there’s something about it that’s nagging at me. Plus, a night hike could be cool, even if the supernatural part turns out to be nonsense.


Journal Entry: June 23, 2019

Prepping for the ‘Lake 40 Challenge’. Got a headlamp, poles, and some safety stuff. I’m genuinely excited. Even if I don’t encounter anything supernatural, I’m sure it’ll be a memorable experience. A few folks on the subreddit mentioned it too, so it’s gained some traction.


Journal Entry: June 27, 2019

Two days out from the ‘Lake 40 Challenge’. Re-read the ritual steps. I’m not a superstitious person, but there’s this nagging feeling... Can’t shake it off. Maybe it’s the allure of the unknown? Either way, I’m committed now. Let’s see how this goes.



Journal Entry: June 30, 2019

Had everything prepared to do the ‘Lake 40 Challenge’, but my friend, who was supposed to drop me off, bailed last minute. A bit frustrating, but maybe it’s a sign? Going to reschedule it for another night. Just for clarity, jotting down the ritual steps again:


The Lake 40 Trial:

  1. Start your hike at the Lake 40 Trailhead at midnight on a moonless night. Be alone. If there’s a car in the lot or people around, do not proceed.
  2. Walk steadily and don’t look back. If you hear noises or voices behind you, ignore them.
  3. Past the 1.3-mile marker, find a moss-covered rock with a crack. Put a personal item inside. Stay focused on the rock and trail.
  4. At the lake, sit facing the water. Close your eyes and listen. If you don’t hear a baby’s cry, the ritual failed.
  5. If you hear the cry, look into the water. Keep your gaze steady even if you see shapes or hear whispers.
  6. If a dark figure appears, you’ve succeeded. Avoid its eyes and don’t answer its questions.
  7. Regardless of the result, leave without looking back or taking your item. Following these steps will grant you special sight, revealing hidden paths.
  8. Never share your experience. Speaking of it attracts unwelcome attention from the fade.


I’ll need to set a new date soon. The anticipation is building.




Journal Entry: July 1, 2019

Checked the lunar calendar today. The next new moon is on July 2nd, but that’s way too close to the 4th. With the upcoming festivities and potential crowd, I don’t want to risk it. I’ve rescheduled the ‘Lake 40 Challenge’ for the next new moon on July 31st. Secured another ride–fingers crossed, they don’t flake out on me like last time. I’ve got this feeling that July 31st is going to be the perfect night for this. The wait will be worth it.




Journal Entry: July 10, 2019

Decided to do a dry run today, in broad daylight, of course. Visited the Lake 40 Trailhead to familiarize myself with the path. I located the 1.3-mile marker and, sure enough, there’s a moss-covered rock nearby with a prominent crack in it. I wonder how many others have placed their personal items there, trying their hand at this ritual. It’s weird – even during the day, there was something about that place that felt... heavy? Hard to put a finger on it. Regardless, I’m feeling more prepared.


Journal Entry: July 20, 2019

It’s strange. Ever since my recon trip to the Lake 40 Trailhead, I’ve been experiencing some peculiar dreams. Visions of moonlit lakes, dark figures lurking just beyond my field of vision, and eerie lullabies. Sometimes I wake up feeling like I’ve genuinely been somewhere else. These could just be nerves or my mind playing tricks on me. With the challenge fast approaching, I guess it’s natural to be anxious. I’ve chosen my personal item to leave at the moss-covered rock – my grandfather’s old pocket watch. It’s always brought me luck. Hope it serves its purpose this time.


Journal Entry: July 23, 2019

Having second thoughts about using grandpa’s watch. It holds too much sentimental value. Plus, if I do decide to leave it behind, it would crush me. Instead, I thought about using this journal. Ironic, isn’t it? Leaving behind a record of my thoughts and anticipations for some supernatural insight. If it’s truly an offering, a piece of oneself, this journal might just be more personal than anything else I own.


Journal Entry: July 28, 2019

News broke out today about a body found not too far from the Lake 40 Trailhead. They’re calling it a bear attack, but the rumors are already flying, and my imagination isn’t helping. A part of me can’t shake the thought: is this related to the ‘Lake 40 Challenge’? Could someone else have attempted it? I’m battling my own nerves and now this. Everyone’s talking about safety and how insane it would be to hike alone at night, especially with predators about. But I’ve planned, prepped, and even re-conned the trail. It’s not just a whim – I’ve invested a lot in this. Deep breaths. Just a few more days to go.


Journal Entry: July 30, 2019

The day has been dragging, and every moment feels like an eternity. The news of the body has deeply unnerved the local community. Friends have messaged me, warning about nocturnal hikes. They don’t know about the ‘Lake 40 Challenge,’ but their words weigh heavily on me. Tonight, I revisited the ritual steps. The instructions are simple, but so are the consequences of mistakes. Every rustle outside my window makes me jump. I hope it’s just anticipation. There’s a thickness in the air, an electric charge. Maybe it’s all in my head, or perhaps the night knows what I intend to do.


Journal Entry: July 31, 2019

Well, tonight’s the big night. I’ve got a weird mix of nerves and excitement churning in my stomach. Going through the ritual steps one more time, just to make sure I’ve got everything down. Can’t shake off the thought of that bear attack, though; nature has its own dangers, even with no added supernatural elements. Still, I’ve come this far and I’m too curious to back down now. If, for some wild reason, I don’t make it back, hope this journal finds its way to someone. It’s been an interesting ride documenting all of this. Guess we’ll see how tonight turns out. Catch you on the flip side!






September 17, 2023 06:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

21:25 Sep 26, 2023

Wonderful stuff Beth. A very easy read , words flowed beautifully. Great idea to point out the journal couldn't be retrieved no matter what happened on her walk. Maybe nothing. Maybe everything. Cool story 👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
20:39 Sep 26, 2023

Very fun, and the journal style nails the mood. It's that kind of playful "let's fool around with supernatural BS" with just enough doubt we wonder, "is it real after all?" I think step 7 is the key to this. It's what makes the story work so wonderfully, because whether the ritual worked or didn't, whether it's real or not, the journal remains behind and we have no idea of the fate of the writer. All we have are questions, intensifying the mystery. Maybe the Fade ate them, or maybe they're sitting at home with a beer, working on a new jour...

Reply

Beth Connor
16:07 Sep 28, 2023

Thank you for reading! I look forward to when you give my stuff a read, I always love your well thought out comments, and aspire to be a better at my own. I sometimes struggle with short form, and now have a whole novel for this one mapped in my head. I am struggling with letting it go, because I am really loving the idea of leaving the story open ended, and being happy with that... (It is also fun to give an evil laugh and think to myself, I know what happened...)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
19:02 Sep 26, 2023

Open ended for sure! The suspense builds as the date draws closer. I like how you added the elements of the possible bear attack and creepy feelings being there during the day. It adds to the overall tone of the story.

Reply

Beth Connor
16:08 Sep 28, 2023

Thank you for giving it a read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dragon The Poet
13:46 Sep 25, 2023

I love your approach for the prompt!! I love the idea of journal prompts with suspense and then an abrupt cliff hanger. We the audience don't get to know if the mc gets attacked, makes it back with nothing happening, etc. If you make this story as part of a bigger project, I'd love to read it!

Reply

Beth Connor
16:10 Sep 28, 2023

Right now, a longer story is up in the air. Long form is more my comfort zone, so there is part of me that is super happy I could produce a short story I am happy with. There is another part that already wrote another story tying to this that fits one of this weeks prompts perfectly. I have yet to decide if I post yet. I have a day and a half to decide hahaha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
05:51 Sep 24, 2023

This hits the prompts perfectly: very suspenseful, very speculative. This could easily be part of a bigger project as the few references to The Fade really increase the mystery. Yes, lots of longing to find out if it was a bear (unlikely in the context of the story) or the supernatural. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Beth Connor
14:26 Sep 24, 2023

Thank you so much for taking the time to read it! This one may yet become a larger project someday.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. Neptune
22:48 Sep 23, 2023

As an avid journaler, I love the use of journal entries in this. The anxiety of the "Bear attack" and their uneasiness about continuing what they'd been doing. That ending gave me goosebumps. Especially since no one knows the actual fate of the journal's owner. Well done!

Reply

Beth Connor
16:11 Sep 28, 2023

Thank you for reading! I am a journaler too, it made writing the story pretty fun!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
14:31 Sep 22, 2023

Love it! I am reminded of "The Blair Witch Project," for some reason. This was spooky, to say the least, Beth. The build up, the anticipation, and then...nothing, save a journal found by the trail. What happened to the MC is anybody's guess, but I am of the opinion that something tragic happened. Wonderfully chilling, my friend. Top notch. One item: Your second sentence - "It’s contents provide a first-hand account of a series of events..." I believe "It's" should be "Its." Nicely-spun tale of chilling, creeping, insidious horror, Beth. I'...

Reply

Beth Connor
02:15 Sep 24, 2023

Thank you for the read (I wish I could still edit lol!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
01:40 Sep 20, 2023

Great prompt follow through. But now we will never know...🤔 Thanks for liking my monsters.

Reply

Beth Connor
16:12 Sep 28, 2023

Part of me likes having readers not know- but I also can't stop haha- There may be more on this one, we will see!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.