2 comments

LGBTQ+ Suspense Sad

“Maria, there are some people who would like to see you.” That was Dina, Maria’s best friend. She had known her since she was 16 when she met her in the streets. They had developed a strong friendship since then and they were now living together and own a tech business together. “I’ll be there in a minute,” Maria answered back. She hurriedly finished ironing clothes and rushed to the living room to see who was there.

“Mom? Dad?” she was surprised to see her parents, “what are you doing here?” she asked calmly, trying to hide all the anger and hatred that was building up. She was not sure how she should react that nine years later her parents decided to pay her a visit. They had thrown her out of the house, something that made her hate her parents a lot. “Are you guys planning on doing that the whole afternoon? Standing there just staring at each other?” Dina asked jokingly as she left the room.

It was David, Maria’s father who broke the silence. He started explaining to her how they’ve missed her, how the house was never the same again after she left. Although he sounded so sincere, there was something in his voice that Maria could not trust. “Now that I am loaded they want to be back to my life? Never.” Maria thought to herself, almost loudly. All she wanted to do was to chase them out of her house, just like they did nine years ago, but she missed them so much.

“Mom please don’t kick me out” she recalled.” How am I going to survive out there alone and am only 16?” she asked begging not to be kicked out. She was now down on her knees begging. All was in vain, her father had thrown her bag outside with her mother pulling her out by her ears. She had arrived home from school to find an unusual atmosphere. Alice, her best friend together with her parents were at her house. One look at them was enough to send chills all over her body. She walked slowly and sat on a sofa after her mother told her to. Earlier that day, she had written a not to Alice declaring her love for her, and how she will never be complete without her.

“Young lady is there an explanation for this?” her mother asked, shoving the letter into her face. She tried talking but could not pronounce every word. She lifted her head and stared at her friend who seemed to be enjoying every moment of it. “Maria! How dare you disgrace our family like this!” that was Sofia, Maria’s mother. She had never seen her mother so angry like this before. She tried looking for her father but he was nowhere near. “Here,” David threw her bags at her and ordered her to leave. “You can’t just kick me out because I am a Lesbian, I am your daughter,” she had tried to explain. “Can’t?” Sofia asked and laughed. “Wait and watch,” she said and pushed her out and firmly locked the door inside. Jennifer, Alice’s mother tried to reason with them but all fell in vain.

That was nine years ago, the day she found herself homeless even though she had a home and parents. It suddenly seemed like it was only yesterday. She felt a lot of anger and her heart started beating faster. “Get out of my house!” she yelled, as she put a fist through a glass on the table. She had waited for this day for a long time, a day she would finally reunite with her parents but meeting them brought lots of painful memories. She hated them more and hated herself for yelling at her father. “How dare you talk to your father like that!” her mother, who had not said a single word since they got in the house yelled back at her. Just as she was about to apologize for her behavior, her mother said, “We saw that you’ve made some progress since we left you, so we thought we could come and borrow some money.” What? She couldn’t believe what she just heard.

“Of course,” she laughed. “All this time I thought that you actually came here because you missed me and that you actually care about me, but no! all you can think of is taking money from me.” She laughed, her eyes welling up. Sofia tried to explain herself but she could not hear any more of it, Maria stood and left the room cursing. “Thanks for nothing mom and dad,” she said and left. Dina tried to run after her but she ran away faster. She felt the rage inside her ready to burst, her heart was aching. Yearning for something, something from far away, something from the past. She felt lost and lonely. It was like she was a lone traveler on a deserted island.

She suddenly stopped when her chest started aching so much. She wanted water, she wanted her parents but her anger and memories from the past kept her from her parents. She felt betrayed, betrayed by her own soul. Her legs were weak and hurting. She needed to take a little rest.

It was almost midnight when she got back to the house. “Where have you been? Are you okay? What happened with your parents?” Dina asked. She was waiting for her friend to show up that she had nearly lost hope and called the police. She had searched for her in the neighborhood but could not find her anywhere. “Am alright.” That was all Maria could say, as she went to her room and locked herself there.

“Did I made a big mistake? Why did they visit me? What if they really needed my help” so many questions crossed her mind but she found no answers. The only people who had the answers were her parents. It was her right to be angry and to never want to talk to her parents. Even her parents knew that. They deserved all that after what happened before. She woke up late in the morning since she had stayed up all night thinking.

As she walked to get some breakfast, the phone started ringing. It was her father. “Hello,” she answered. “Good morning dear,” her father spoke, “I realize that we made a huge mistake but could you just hear us out and let us explain ourselves?” Maria felt sorry and missed her father so much. She wanted to tell him that she had forgiven them but, “So now you finally remembered that you had a daughter? Stop calling me and forget about me already just like I’ve been doing for nine years. I hate you!” she said and hung up the phone.

February 01, 2021 14:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

12:14 Mar 12, 2021

Love the story it was really amazing but even though there was a great plot there are some things that could change When you talk about the parents the narrator immidiatly goes which made her hate them a lot remember show not tell you could use: her cheeks turned bright red and she couldn't help but wanting to shout at them kick them even, they sure deserved it. and for the “Mom please don’t kick me out” she recalled.” How am I going to survive out there alone and am only 16?” she asked begging not to be kicked out. She was now down on her ...

Reply

Maureen Cherono
09:40 Mar 13, 2021

Thanks a lot for your comment. I will improve on my writing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.