169 comments

Inspirational East Asian Friendship

The static buzz of the alarm was dreaded, as it meant a day of haggling and hassling was about to begin. 5:00 AM. Mei-Zhou sat up in bed, and shivers ran through her body. It was colder in the morning, but a deep breath of fresh air could always awaken her. The rest of the family was still sound asleep, so Mei-Zhou steamed some buns for herself as breakfast.  

Once she was moderately full, she gathered the cart containing all the bags of rice and harnessed it on her bike. Maybe she could get a good deal at the Market today and get herself a treat. Mei-Zhou's mouth started watering at the very thought. Sweet black bean tapioca candy or maybe salty crackers. Oh! What delicacies! With that, Mei-Zhou hopped onto her bike and started riding towards the city.  

When Mei-Zhou arrived at the Nanjing Market Square, streaks of light had just begun to run across the pale sky. First thing Mei-Zhou did was to find her friend, Rui-Xuan, who worked as a delivery boy. They were both fifteen and had started working at a young age in order to support their family. Although Mei-Zhou often remained situated in a single place calling out to passerby to buy rice, Rui-Xuan traveled around the square distributing mail, packages, and occasionally doing free labor (such as hauling Mei-Zhou's heavy rice bags). Both were glad for each other’s company, since otherwise life would be much duller.  

“Hello Rui-Xuan! You’re here early today.” It was 5:30, and Rui-Xuan usually arrived at 5:50, or later since he lived further away from the market square. The nannies who were picking up daily groceries would start arriving at 6:30, to get the best pick of vegetables and such, but all the other vendors would only start arriving at 6:00. That meant that Mei-Zhou had half an hour to pick a good spot, unload all her rice bags, and visit the post office for possible news of her younger brother, Xiao-Ling, who had gone to Nanking to work.  

“I’m probably going to the post office to check for a letter from Xiao-Ling. Can you watch my table for me to make sure nobody steals anything?” 

“Oh, no need! I already picked up your letters.” Mei-Zhou quickly murmured a thanks as she scanned through the stack of letters. There were ten or so advertisements, and four orders for rice, which she would tend to later. Her excitement faded as she reached the end of the stack and still no letter from Xiao-Ling arrived. But instead, there was a stiff, tan colored envelope lined with silver border along the edges. The address on it stated,  

To Wu Mei-Zhou 

 P.O. Box 24978, 518018, Shen Xiang Province, China, East Asia, Asia” 

“That’s funny. It’s a letter from a foreigner! They listed the zip code and the province name, even though they’re the same. Oh, and China, East Asia and Asia are all listed.” Rui-Xuan said amusedly as he leaned over Mei-Zhou's shoulder. Mei-Zhou gasped, and pointed to the stamps plastered all around the envelope.  

“Rui-Xuan! Look! This letter is from the United States! America!” Both had heard the stories of the land across the ocean. Where people of all colors and backgrounds and ideological beliefs could be seen on the streets. Skyscrapers that climbed taller than any buildings they had ever met, and spacious houses which housed one family at a time. An extremely different world from what they both knew.  

They knew only one color of skin, but that didn’t bother them at all. They also knew of skyscrapers, but it was rumored that skyscrapers in America were five times as tall. They knew of antique houses which had housed the same family for hundreds of years. But this was a world they knew, and one they had grown up with.  

“Well, what are you waiting for? Open it up!” With shaky hands, Mei-Zhou slit the envelope and pulled out a stiff piece of high-quality paper.  

Dear Mei-Zhou,  

You do not know me. In fact, I don’t even know who you are. My vast network of agents have scouted you out as the daughter of Ling-Wei, my dear sister. Thirty years ago, I worked on the streets selling rice as you surely are at this moment. But due to my luck, I met an American businessman who soon became my husband. My parents were aghast at my decision to marry a foreigner, of all people! A foreigner from a country across the sea. Without their blessing, I couldn’t marry John, so I left China with him. 

 However, that is not what is important. My husband died last week, and left me with a huge inheritance. Although my new life in America has blessed me far greater than I could ever have wished for, I still feel remorse for what I did to my family. I’m ashamed to say that I cannot face my sister, since I have not once contacted her all these years, and I cannot do so now. But perhaps you will understand? It is my wish for you to take on my inheritance left to me by my husband. To do so, you must come to America. You really will love it. Once you come here, you can then bring our family.  

Please come; I miss the family of my roots.  

Mei-Ru (Mira Smith, as is my English name) 

P.S. I’ve enclosed a plane ticket, which you will surely need. (You’ll also need your passport and birth certificate.) 

There was silence for a moment.  

“I suppose this is a good-bye then?” Rui-Xuan said rather hoarsely.  

“What?” 

“I mean, you’re going to America now. I shan’t see you again, will I?”  

“No, I’m not going.” Mei-Zhou said, staring at him.  

“What?! You’re crazy! Look, Mei-Zhou, I didn’t mean to change your mind, ok? You have to accept this offer. America is the land of the future! Of freedom! Don’t you hate this life? Working and toiling away?” 

“No, Rui-Xuan. I don’t want to. My roots are here, my language is here. I don’t even speak English. I would be a complete outsider there.” 

“But Mei-Zhou, if you don’t take this chance, you will always stay here in China, selling rice. Your children will sell rice. Their children will sell rice. And the children of their children will sell rice. You are trapping your whole family here if you don’t go.” 

“I don’t care, okay? You just go back to work. Let this be a nice, normal day. Look, the customers are starting to come.” Mei-Zhou turned away, but Rui-Xuan grabbed her arm.   

“Listen to me. You think this life is nice and fulfilling, don’t you? Well, let me tell you this. Here, you have no chance whatsoever of becoming something better. No matter how hard you work, the only thing you’re going to get is an extra piece of tapioca candy. Your children will never, ever, have the chance of being doctors, lawyers, or businessmen. Don’t you want something better for them and for you?” Rui-Xuan's voice cracked on the last syllable, and Mei-Zhou didn’t know how to respond.  

So what? I don’t want to go to America, and that’s that. He can’t tell me what to do. And yet the more Mei-Zhou thought of it, the more enticing the idea of going to America sounded. A tall glamourous building which she worked at as a doctor. She had always wanted to be a doctor. And perhaps, in America, she would. 

-------------

Thank you for reading! This is based on a somewhat of a true story, inspired by the path my parents took (they're both Chinese). So I may have exaggerated some parts (heh...), but the basic storyline is the same.

-------------

BIG SHOUTOUT TO: LitLover (I took his Chinese name, Rui-Xuan, so thanks!) Also, Mira Caplan, I'm supppper sorry I couldn't put you in my story as a main character because the names were all Chinese... but Mei-Zhou roughly could translate to Mira. And, Kate Reynolds, one of the KINDEST people I've ever met!

December 17, 2020 22:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

169 comments

San T.
10:26 Dec 18, 2020

Nice and bright one... the little personal tidbit at the end really made your story personal.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
14:08 Dec 18, 2020

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, I also thought the personal addition made it more of a personal memoir instead of a story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:56 Dec 18, 2020

i loveeeed this story, it has great descriptions, AND I also learned some things on the way. 😊 great job! - Amethyst

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
03:00 Dec 18, 2020

wow thank you so much!!!

Reply

03:29 Dec 18, 2020

np! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:41 Jan 08, 2021

jennie im gonna take a stab at you're extremely hard question 14?

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
19:08 Jan 08, 2021

ahahhhhhhhhhh so close.... but no

Reply

19:19 Jan 08, 2021

15?

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
19:20 Jan 08, 2021

*younger*

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
19:15 Jan 08, 2021

but i created a new trivia lol

Reply

18:59 Apr 26, 2021

hi :))) UR BACK :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
06:53 Apr 26, 2021

No poo; happy fairy is here;Peace begins with a smile

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
22:52 Dec 17, 2020

OMG JENNIE THANKS SOOO MUCH (even though I'm not in it :D) Anyways this was reallyyyyyyyy good! I could almost feel like I was in China! Btw I am soooooooo sorry if I don't get my story out this week because I've been kinda of busy (but I will still try my best!)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:55 Dec 17, 2020

No problem!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PRAISE!!!!!! Once again, super sorry! I think your Chinese name could be Kai-Rei tho!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:01 Dec 17, 2020

Ooh!! That sounds super cool! And ofc!! You deserve it :D and it's not a problem!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:02 Dec 17, 2020

I can't wait for tommorows prompts, and I'll definitely find a way to feature you!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:04 Dec 17, 2020

Aw thanks!!!!!!!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:05 Dec 17, 2020

I'm thinking of writing a fantasy because I'm really bad at it... can you tell me how you would like to look like?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
22:48 Dec 17, 2020

Great job but make the dialogue more natural, which you can do by asking whether you could imagine someone saying it irl. Loved the characters!!!! Thanks so muchhhhhgg

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:50 Dec 17, 2020

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE FEEDBACK!!!!!!! yeah, the dialogue is often really awkward when I write it, but oh wellll they're supposed to be mature i suppose

Reply

. .
22:51 Dec 17, 2020

Still use that exercise to make it a little better but great job and I loved meeeeeeeeeeee

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:52 Dec 17, 2020

Because I think you would be as sensible as he was (or as you were lol)

Reply

. .
22:52 Dec 17, 2020

Lol yeahhhh

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:57 Dec 17, 2020

do you think that he had a crush on her? i know you hate romance... but I feel like he genuinely wanted the best for her, even though he might never see her again

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
23:06 Dec 17, 2020

Hey Luke, I'm putting you in my next story (which will be a fantasy because I need practice) so can you tell me how you want to look like? no powers yet because I'm still thinking!

Reply

. .
23:41 Dec 17, 2020

I want dark brown hair gold eyes lanky build with strong limbs and a backpack to always carry a book in

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:53 Dec 17, 2020

ok! so, intelligent, kind, or adventurous?

Reply

. .
00:00 Dec 18, 2020

Yeah and don’t forget the booooook

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
00:01 Dec 18, 2020

i won't forget... how could i? lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Lia Nina
16:36 Jan 19, 2021

This was fantastic! I like how you deftly set up the conflict of a girl torn between 2 worlds!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
16:43 Jan 19, 2021

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:56 Jan 02, 2021

CAN I BE A MARSHMELLLLLLLOW

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:37 Jan 02, 2021

Please be! Yayayayay!

Reply

00:59 Jan 03, 2021

Yayyy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:36 Dec 30, 2020

Hi Jennie! Thanks for reading so many of my stories, I really appreciate it. I'd love a follow up to see Mei-Zhou's adventures in America!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Wow, Jennie great work! Really well done. Loved that you included your heritage into it to make it extra special:) Amazing!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:45 Dec 23, 2020

Thank you so much!!! Adding in my heritage made it more personal for me to write!

Reply

Totally! And anytime!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Saizen 🦜
19:18 Dec 23, 2020

Hi there, it's a nice story there. It feels pretty realistic but has a sort of a conflict. It's interesting to see the conflict between choosing a comfortable life and giving up everything for a potentially more fulfilling life. So you've talked about red herring. I know something about using it. I can give some tips if you don't mind. First of all, you have to decide whether you want to dupe the reader only, or both the reader and the character. Examples: 1) Dupe the reader only: A detective is investigating on a suspect of a crime. T...

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:44 Dec 23, 2020

First off, thank you for the tip (no, more like THE MOST VALUABLE ADVICE EVER) much appreciated!!! I love critiques, tips, and advice which can overall make me a better writer. I see what you mean; like choosing what to show and what to hide... plus is the first example from The Murder of Roger Acroyd...? that was amazing!! great use of a red herring! oh, and is the second example from WoF? sounds like it... tell me if i'm right! I think i shall try to use a red herring in my next story using these tips and examples!!

Reply

Saizen 🦜
17:06 Dec 24, 2020

So the Murder of Roger Acroyd is correct. Although I've not read it in a while and probably forgot the details. The second one I forgot where it's from and basically just made up some scenario. I look forward to see your next story!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
17:10 Dec 24, 2020

Oh wow! Thanks again for your advice!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
12:53 Dec 22, 2020

JENNIE FLAWLESS IMPERFECTION IS KATE REYNOLDS NOT FELICITY WILLIAMS!!!!!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:31 Dec 22, 2020

omggggg sorry!!!!! i remembered it was one of the 10 people I followed but I couldn't remember whoooooooo then I fixed it and forgot to click 'update bio' IT"S NOW FIXED sorry kate!!!!!!

Reply

. .
01:25 Dec 23, 2020

Lol Yay!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:48 Dec 17, 2020

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally was in the story, and LOVED the fact that you used a traditional name and made it mine!!! The cultural-ness was SO AMAXING, and I learned a lot just by reading your story. Thank you, Jen!!!!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:49 Dec 17, 2020

YAY YAY YAY YAY! I'm glad you liked it!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:50 Dec 17, 2020

😁😁😁😁😁😁 You NEED to write more stories like this. I really love the cultural representation. You just do it so effortlessly.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:51 Dec 17, 2020

wow really? Thanks!! You're too kind! too bad I can't write stories as fast as litlover

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:52 Dec 17, 2020

No one can write stories as fast as him, lol.

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:53 Dec 17, 2020

You are seriously a great writer, though, so KEEP AT IT

Reply

Show 1 reply
. .
22:54 Dec 17, 2020

Ha this made me feel like a marshmallow in hot cocoa!!!!!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
23:06 Dec 17, 2020

Miraaaaaaaa I'm writing a fantasy for next week and I really want to include you. Tell me how you want to look like! (no powers yet, because I'm still thinking sorry)

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:18 Dec 17, 2020

K. I want to have my signature black, wavy hair, maybe pulled back like Legolas or Arwen in LOTR with the two small sections in the front braided and tied in the bacl, if that makes sense? I also want...hmmm....probably some shade of blue or dark brown eyes, and olive skin. 😁

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:19 Dec 17, 2020

adventurous, kind, or intelligent? like as a defining trait

Reply

Mira Caplan
01:38 Dec 18, 2020

Hm....probably kind, with a bit of a sarcastic edge.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
14:47 Dec 18, 2020

ok! That's you in real life!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
23:21 Dec 17, 2020

omg yeahhhhh!!!!! with a gold circlet on top?

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:27 Dec 17, 2020

YOU READ MY MIND!!!! Or maybe a silver one? Gold or silver, either works. For colors, I'd do dark ones, like midnight blue and dark green, with pale blue and white and grays and etc. The color palette I usually wear and prefer, lol

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:30 Dec 17, 2020

Got it!!! great minds think alike lol!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
23:18 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you SO much for including me, though!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:19 Dec 17, 2020

no problem! You're one of my best friends!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:28 Dec 17, 2020

You're one of mine, too!!!! (Even though I don't know you as well, yet)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Amaya .
22:26 Dec 17, 2020

what does using red herrings mean?

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:29 Dec 17, 2020

Like tricking the reader with a false clue... yeah, I didn't use it here (because i suck at it)

Reply

Amaya .
22:30 Dec 17, 2020

oooooh that's really cool!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:32 Dec 17, 2020

yeah! great mystery writers use it as their greatest weapon!

Reply

Amaya .
22:33 Dec 17, 2020

i love reading stories that trick me tbh they're the most fun do you have any tips for mysteries? I've never read one, but maybe I will someday soon...

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:35 Dec 17, 2020

errrrrr... nooooo I SUCK AT MYSTERIES... maybe read one of Agatha Christie's books?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ruth Porritt
06:46 Feb 07, 2021

Hello Jennie, I had a chance to read more of your work, and I also loved this story. (I currently live and work in China, at an international school, and am my school's Elementary ELL teacher.) I especially enjoyed reading the description of the market. (That part took me back to living in Shanghai, in 2011, and seeing the local markets for the first time.) Again, can't wait to read the rest of your work, Ruth

Reply

Show 0 replies
Corey Melin
01:51 Jan 24, 2021

When it comes to your writing I would say if you get the person judging stories at the right time reading your story will make you a winner. Excellent read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
06:23 Dec 26, 2020

It's such a nice story. On top, I loved that it's roughly based on your parents. Do you dream of becoming a doctor? Just assuming. Keep writing. I would love your feedback on my stories. Merry Christmas.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
14:10 Dec 23, 2020

Helloooooooo!!!!!!! (I honestly can't stop reading this- it's amazing.)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:35 Dec 23, 2020

reeeeaaaaaaalllly? you too nice!!!!! omggg yayayayyaayaaaaay

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:11 Dec 23, 2020

:) :) :) Guess what- I'm getting glasses. I picked out the frames today, and you'll see em in class after break!!! (They're just reading glasses, but still!)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:20 Dec 23, 2020

omg reaaaallllllyyyyy? wows!!! can't wait!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:25 Dec 23, 2020

XDDD My mom, sister and I took 45 minutes just to pick out the right frames. We did a whole competition and eliminated glasses frames one by one until the finals, where we chose the winner

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:25 Dec 23, 2020

XDDD My mom, sister and I took 45 minutes just to pick out the right frames. We did a whole competition and eliminated glasses frames one by one until the finals, where we chose the winner

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amarillis G
14:37 Dec 18, 2020

Amazing story! I like the way you describe the culture of Chinese people.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
14:40 Dec 18, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
15:13 Feb 02, 2021

oop 69 69

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.