61 comments

Drama Romance Christmas

Just to be clear, Gena and Mike aren’t married.

So why do they share the same house?

Because he rented the apartment to her so they live together, but in different rooms.


ο»Ώ


Gena trailed her eyes at the snow globe on a desk next to her, trying not to pull away as Mike curled his fingers in her hand. She didn’t want any more to do with men, after the incident that happened several weeks before.

β€œWhy are you here in San Francisco?”

She still didn’t meet her eyes with him. β€œMay I not take a vacation?”

β€œWho sent you here?”

β€œNo one did.” He was fading from the truth. Genevieve did not have the heart to tell him that she nearly had been choked to death by her ex-husband weeks ago, for refusing to eat dinner with him. She told Antoine she was busy, which was not a lie. She had work for her boss but was now instead eyeing the beach nearby due to the death of her boss’s sister.

β€œHow was the funeral?” He would not stop with the questions. Nor would he let go of her hand.

β€œEverything was fine, Michael.” She gave him a peck on the cheek without thinking. She didn’t love him but instead felt sorry for him. Maybe the kiss was to shut him up. She didn’t know.

His eyes went from solemn to surprise. He kissed Gena once more, on the lips. She stumbled back. His breath was orangey and sour.

β€œI thought you were married?” he asked.

She scowled. β€œI guess not.”

He nodded as if he understood, but it was clear he didn’t, when he whispered, β€œPlease marry me. We’ll have the best Christmas together, and we’ll spend our whole lives together. Please.”

She stared at him. β€œMy husband almost killed me. I can’t marry anyone anymore.”

His expression stiffened, but he continued. β€œBut I love you.” He took his other hand and clenched it tightly with hers. Mike didn’t ask anything about her husband, nor did he ask if she was feeling okay. β€œPlease marry me, Genevieve.”

Gena pulled away and stood up. β€œI have to get home.”

β€œBut your flight isn’t until next week.”

She ran and stumbled on her feet, but quickly got up and opened the door hurriedly. His confused expression faded when she was out of sight.


She panicked when she was on the street. Genevieve was still in her purple and blue pajamas and was too tired to sleep in her car. Suddenly, there was a familiar car that stopped in a parking lot. She squinted out in the sun as he waved.

β€œGenevieve? You need a ride?” He shouted. She was unconvinced, but she glanced behind her. She couldn’t head home.

She raced toward his car and didn’t look back.

---

β€œYou’re not dressed,” he eyed her body up and down.

β€œI can’t go back there.”

β€œThat’s alright.” She clasped in her seatbelt and he drove.

β€œWhere are we going?”

β€œYou’ll like it.”

β€œTo your house?”

β€œYou’ll see.”

---

He parked in a rocky area and she gasped, waking up as he hit a bump on the road.

β€œSorry, princess. Didn’t mean to wake you up.”

She almost scowled when he called her β€˜princess.’

β€œCome out, I want to show you something.” She was still groggy and tired but obeyed as the mystical beach view came in awe. The sunset appeared, and the sun reflected against the horizon and the clouds, which were turning into the colors of tangerine and honey.

β€œGenevieve Arizona Hart, I loved you for a long while. You—”

β€œI’m in pajamas.”

β€œYou’re still beautiful to me.” He gave her a kiss. Orangey and cider-like. Still sour. β€œGenevieve, will you marry me?”

It seemed to be a crime to say no in the sunset.

β€œI’m sorry, Dave. I—”

β€œYou’re married?”

β€œNo, I just can’t.”

He looked as if a rock hit the back of his head. She felt genuinely sorry for him, and for Mike, but she couldn’t take any more of the drama. Not anymore.

Dave didn’t seem that way. He pushed her to the edge of the rails. She lost her breath, looking behind her. If he pushed her again, she’d fall and drown.

β€œWhy don’t you love me?” he cried. β€œI thought you loved me.”

β€œI do. But so much has been going on. I can’t. I’m sorry.”

β€œI can’t believe it.” He was angry. β€œFind your way home!”

He shoved back her shoulder, and she stumbled.

---


β€œI’m cold,” she whispered to Chase and his brother, Hans, people she really trusted to pick her up. The air was hot and humid, but she was so tired and numb.

β€œWe’ll get you home,” Chase said kindly.

β€œNo. Don’t bring me home.”

β€œWe’ll get you to our house, then.”

Hans was next to her and she leaned her head against him, drifting to sleep.

---

β€œGenevieve, I love you. Please marry me. We’ll have a lovely Christmas together.”

β€œWhy don’t you love me? I thought you loved me!”

β€œNo one deserves you more than I do. Please marry me.” Genevieve turned around and saw Chase smiling with open arms. β€œMarry me, Genevieve.”

β€œI love you. Will you marry me?” She turned the other direction and found her sister’s boyfriend come up to her. β€œYou are much better than your sister.”

She closed her eyes and let herself fall in a two hundred feet well, crying, but her tears dissolved and replaced them with memories of the past.


She woke up on the couch that day. It was rough and bumpy but she couldn’t get up.

Hand took one look at her face and glared at Chase. β€œSee, I told you we should have put her in the guest room.”

β€œShe’s heavy.”

β€œAsshole.”

Gena’s eyes widened in fear when Chase came close. β€œThe lady’s awake!” He called when he studied her face.

β€œGood. Our breakfast was getting cold,” Hans joked.

β€œUh, actually, I was wondering if I can eat out.” She sat up. β€œAlone.”

Chase was silent, but Hans shrugged. β€œSure. If you don’t want our famous, juicy, breathtaking, healthy breakfast hamburgers, I guess you can eat out.” When she gave him a grateful expression, he warned, β€œCome back, though. I heard there’s going to be a storm coming soon.”

β€œI’m an adult. I don’t need a curfew.”

β€œIt’s to protect you.”

---

When she stepped outside, Hans followed. She was scared at first, but it was Hans. She trusted him all her life.

β€œWhat do you need?” she asked.

β€œJust wanted to say happy birthday.”

He was the only one who remembered.

β€œHow’d you know?”

He stared at her. β€œI’ve known you for fifteen years, Gena. I’d know.” Then, he kneeled down. β€œAnd for all those fifteen years, I’ve loved you. I’ve loved you more every single year. Will you marry me?”

She wanted to say yes.

β€œHans, you know I have a husband,” she tested him.

β€œNo. You divorced him after he choked you. And you can’t trust anyone after what happened, and I understand.”

She blinked.

β€œYou’re not going to marry me, are you?” he asked. β€œIt’s okay. Forget I asked.” He turned around.

She grabbed his shoulder and spun him around, leaning close. She smiled until she was an inch away from him, and then kissed him gently on the lips.

Orangey.


And sweet.





December 24, 2020 19:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

61 comments

How many points can you upvote this comment to?

Reply

01:27 Jan 05, 2021

lol 17 points apparently :D

Reply

Angelina S.
12:47 Mar 24, 2021

21

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
00:27 Apr 16, 2021

it says 27 for me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bridget Summers
06:18 Apr 13, 2021

23!

Reply

Sam S.
08:45 Apr 15, 2021

24

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Batool Hussain
09:45 Dec 25, 2020

This is beautiful, Kendra. Good job!

Reply

Orenda .
09:56 Dec 25, 2020

OMG BATOOL YOU'RE BACCCCK Are you really though?

Reply

Batool Hussain
10:01 Dec 25, 2020

Haha. Yes, I am. Let's just hope I stay. Jk

Reply

Orenda .
10:04 Dec 25, 2020

yesssss You've no idea how much we've been waiting for you. How're you though?

Reply

OMG I feel so proud after reading your comment. Thank you, Batool! Welcome back!

Reply

Orenda .
17:41 Dec 25, 2020

Haha. But seriously, Batool's comeback was much awaited.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:14 Dec 25, 2020

Awwwww thankssss for putting me in your bio!!! Means a lot. AND YAYYYYYY I’M A TRUE RAINBOW WOOOOOOOOO I LOVE RAINBOWS (Cerealy. I’ve written over 700 pages of a series about color. Lol. RAINBOWS AND NEON COLORS FOR LIFEEEEEE) But enough about that. Actually, I don’t have much else to say, lol. Wassupppppp?

Reply

Ayyy you're welcome!! I'm actually going to stop erasing and coming up with new stuff for my bio for a while now. HOW DO PEOPLE WRITE ONE THING IN THEIR BIO AND STICK WITH IT FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES...Honestly, I'm so indecisive. LOL, SERIOUSLI?? I never have written that many pages my whole life. Maybe if I connect all my stories together, I'll get about 400. Lolol #Rainbow&neonforlife Lol. wasuppp! My dad actually bought me a basketball arcade for Christmas and it takes up the whole space in my room (My room is just an empty space c...

Reply

20:44 Dec 25, 2020

Haha, totally relatable. My bio is ALWAYS. FREAKIN’. CHANGIN’. I hope I can still with this format for a decent amount of time, lol. Yea, I think, haha! 350 pages of Color Quest, 300 and counting pages of Color Quest: Errands for the Enchantress, and definitely at LEAST 50 cut pages and short stories in that world. Lolllll #YES. Ooooooh fun!! (Omg same! Or at least, my old room was like that. I had the room I shared with my sister, then claimed a β€˜room’ [just a half-open space near our old semi-balcony looking over our old living room] dow...

Reply

lOlllll Me: Presses read more Also me: jaw drops deeper than the floor Lol, thanks. Ooh that's nice! Omggg, in our old house, I had an old tablet and a small, wooden desk lying around in the corner. I usually go up there to read or something, and I called it "My Zone" lol. Lol, cool! OMG, a cat?? My dad and my brother always wanted a cat. But I've always wanted a dog, after my grandfather raised a puppy with its leg bitten off by a huge rat when he was born :( It's heartbreaking to see him trying to walk with the other puppies... Haha, you...

Reply

03:19 Dec 26, 2020

Me: *laughs dryly* Me: *speaks in villain-y accent for no reason at all:* Me: Yes. Haha, cool! And yea, a cat. My grandparents have a cat and a dog and we have a dog we bring when we visit them, so it’s a funny dynamic lol. YESSSS DOGS FOR LIFE!! Oh haha, poor pup. Hehe it’s fine. Thanks lol. But my β€˜songs’ are...not really songs?? Pretty much just lyrics typed into Docs with notes to myself on how to sing them. I haven’t written down the actual notes on the music scale because I don’t have scale paper right now lol. And actually I finishe...

Reply

lOllllllll Yeshh! Yeah, that's how I usually write my songs, and I kinda adjust to the lyrics and play them with notes later on. Some of my songs don't even have rhythm yet, just...Words. Haha nice!! Y E S why thank you 😎 *ahahaha yes* lol It was 10:20??! Wow, I barely ever stay up that late tbh, I'm an early sleeper! ALSO, 2020 CHRISTMAS IS OFFICIALLY OVER 😭

Reply

Show 1 reply
Sia S
06:43 Dec 26, 2020

XDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Writers Block
06:44 Dec 25, 2020

A love triangle that turned around for the Good. Sweet and succinct!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:46 Dec 25, 2020

Heyo, awesome story!! Intriguing tale and a sweet end. Love your name choice!

Reply

Hiyooo! Thank you so much :)) Yey, glad u like it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Evelyn S
16:36 Jan 01, 2021

I'm a little too late to the party, but it's fiiiiiiiine xD I absolutely love this story! I usually don't do romance, but... *shrugs* I love the contrast between the men, but the recurring effect is their breath smelling orangey and sour and they care more about themselves and their happiness then Gena. But Hans, not only does he actually care for Gena, what with telling her happy birthday and whatnot, but he knows about her and is willing to back down if it's in her best interests. He was the only one who didn't act like it was her fault ...

Reply

Ahhh thx so much for reading!!!!! Yep :) So glad to hear that! Happy 2021!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
16:49 Dec 28, 2020

Didn't know you did romance too Kendra! Nice one!

Reply

Thanks Amany! Yeah, it's a surprise for me too lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
15:44 Mar 30, 2022

That ending- woah.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orchid Krizan
20:35 Jun 11, 2021

This really is sour and sweet!! I love it!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
17:52 Apr 30, 2021

I really love the switch up at the end, a really good switch up at the end, but I would recommend with less pauses since it kind of gets confusing when switching settings and nobody knows what happen, all the detail that's put into this is really awesome and so interesting with a title sour and sweet, really creative.

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
05:26 Dec 25, 2020

Hola

Reply

B. W.
14:49 Dec 25, 2020

aw i did, thank you ^^

Reply

You're welcome! Merry Christmas! EEE

Reply

B. W.
18:35 Dec 25, 2020

Merry christmas to you to ^^ have ya had a good one so far?

Reply

Amazing! I think the best year was this one! How was yours?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
06:21 Dec 28, 2020

This is a wonderful story

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:57 Dec 29, 2020

Hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:16 Dec 30, 2020

Heyyyy

Reply

B. W.
18:06 Dec 30, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

B. W.
19:52 Dec 30, 2020

I guess im fine

Reply

Im actually thinking of submitting a story today

Reply

Show 0 replies

Im actually thinking of submitting a story today

Reply

Show 0 replies

Im actually thinking of submitting a story today

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 5 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.