Give Yourself a Second Chance

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

51 comments

General

“Hello, folks! Merv here. Welcome back to another day on 'Second Chances'. Today, our guest on the show is a tried and true New Yorker, teaching students by day and making art by night, Folks give it up for…..Cora Flores!” the large room filled with thunderous applause as Cora made her way onstage. Her long dirty blonde hair flowed freely down her shoulders and her dark brown eyes were shining with hope. She smiled and waved shyly to the crowd as she sat in the chair meant for her. 

“Hi, Merv!”

“Hello, Cora! How are you doing today?”

“I’m doing great! Super excited to be here.”

“We’re excited to have you! So, what brings you from the big apple to our small town here in Colorado?”

“Well, Merv, I’d hardly call this town small, but, I’m here for a second chance.” More applause filled the room as the signature line was said. Merv chuckled and signaled for the crowd to quiet down. 

“Alright, alright folks, settle down. Care to explain Cora?” Cora laughed and relaxed into the soft chair, crossing her legs.

“Well, a couple years ago, I gave up. I gave up on my biggest dream. And you know what Merv? Giving up is never the answer. Sometimes, you have to give yourself a second chance. Even if it seems like everything is going wrong. Even if it seems like it’s not the right choice. If you feel it in your heart, it can only be right, you know?” Merv nodded.

“Of course. Now, what kind of dream are you talking about? Hopefully not something illegal. Do I have to tell the kids not to try this at home?” The audience laughed and Cora smiled.

“No, no, not illegal.” she said, pausing for dramatic effect, “I gave up on my art.”

“Your art?!” Cora nodded.

“Yes, my art. Teaching was never something I wanted to do with my life. Ten years ago, if you asked me where I envisioned myself in a decade, I most definitely wouldn’t have said ‘making a worksheet’. I probably would have said something along the lines of ‘going to an art show’ or something like that. But you know what? I didn’t believe. I didn’t believe in myself, I didn’t believe in my abilities, I didn’t believe that me doing art for a living would ever be possible. I thought, ‘you know what, I’m good at teaching, I’ll do teaching’ There’s no ‘what if’ to that, you know? There’s no, ‘what if people suddenly don’t like my art?’ There’s no’ what if I break my arm and can’t make art’. There’s just, go teach kids, come home, eat ‘nd sleep. And some of me was fine with that. A part of me enjoyed seeing the smile on kid’s faces as they understood a math problem. Part of me did like coming home at a set time every day. But the other part…”

“The other part didn’t?”Merv said, sadness edging into his normally peppy voice. Cora looked more far off and distanced as she spoke. She nodded.

“The other part found a way to incorporate a small drawing into almost every assignment. The other part of me longed to doodle as staff meetings wore on. The other part of me wanted to follow the kids to their art class. And so….”

“So you want a second chance?”

“Yes. I want to find the courage in myself to stop teaching and to give my art dreams a second chance. Hopefully, with the support of you guys,” Cora said, slowly turning to look out at the audience. 

“Of course. I know I can speak for the entire audience when I say that you have our wholehearted support.” Merv said. As if to confirm it, the audience clapped. “Before we conclude today’s episode, why don’t we take a look at some of Cora’s latest works.” A large screen behind the stage turned on to a presentation featuring pictures of Cora’s artwork. The audience clapped louder and louder as each picture was shown. Cora smiled and blushed, astonished to have received so much love for her artwork. 

“Thank you guys so, so much. Your support means the world to me, really. “

“It's our pleasure. Thank you for coming on our show today. Here’s to hoping you give yourself, a second chance!” the show ended as booming applause filled the room once more. They were off air. 

The room began to empty quickly. Cora stood up and stretched, covering her eyes as the lights all around the large room turned on. Merv drank some water from one of the glasses on the table. It wasn’t easy being the host of a talk show.

“You were great, Cora, really, what did I tell you, you were nervous for nothing.” Cora smiled.

“You really think so?”

“I know so. And I really do hope you give yourself a second chance. I mean, I want to buy your art!” Merv said, his talk-show charisma showing through. Cora laughed, tucking her hair behind her ear.

“Thanks.”

“You two comin’?” a techie said, poking his head through the curtains. Merv stood up, smoothing down his suit.

“Yeah, yeah, we’re comin’,” he said. Cora sighed, checking the time on her watch. She walked off the stage and towards the dressing room reserved for the guests of the show. She quickly filled her purse with her makeup, sprayed on some perfume, and walked out. On her way out, she bumped into a man.

“Cora! Wait up!”

“Um, sorry, do I know you?” Cora said, gripping her purse a little tighter.

“It’s me, Merv!” he said, running his hand through his messy brown hair. Cora’s eyes widened in surprise and recognition.

“Oh! Oh my gosh, I didn’t recognize you without a suit! I am so sorry!” she said, embarrassed. 

“Oh, it’s no problem, really. I get that a lot…”

“Well?”

“Well, what?”

“Well, why did you tell me to wait up?”

“Oh! Well, um, I was wondering if you wanted to get a drink?”

“I’m sorry, I don’t drink! Bad for your health and all, you know…”

“I don’t mean like drink drink, I know a killer smoothie shop that’s open practically 24/7.”

“Really? That sounds great.” Cora said. Normally, she wasn’t one to indulge in love, not after her heart was broken. But maybe it was time for her to give it a second chance….


August 14, 2020 23:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

51 comments

Amany Sayed
23:13 Aug 14, 2020

I hadn't realized it was Friday until I saw new prompts! I had 3 ideas. At least one of them is out... I hope you liked this! It's just a small story. So... yeah, I kind of wrote it in a rush, so please tell me of any grammar errors. Thanks! ~Amany

Reply

Lulu Lemon
17:04 Sep 03, 2020

It was a great story! I didn't find any grammar errors... but I wasn't looking for errors, I was just enjoying the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Yesssss great job! I got super excited when I saw your new story, LOL. I love this character, Cora Flores, and how she entered the story: ‘ the large room filled with thunderous applause as Cora made her way onstage. Her long dirty blonde hair flowed freely down her shoulders and her dark brown eyes were shining with hope. She smiled and waved shyly to the crowd as she sat in the chair meant for her.‘ That’s just so amazing. Also, I love the plot in general! Great ending! Keep it up! ~Aerin

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:44 Aug 14, 2020

Thank youuu! I love her too, lol, she was fun to write about! Aw, thanks! You too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
18:03 Aug 17, 2020

Whenever I dont know how to compliment someone's story I just agree with Aerin. Great story Amany! I really liked it!

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:05 Aug 18, 2020

Lol it's fine! Thanks for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Doubra Akika
19:20 Aug 15, 2020

Another amazing story, Amany!!! Loved Cora. The dialogue in this was amazing! And it was so inspirational! Giving up really is never the answer. Beautiful job!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:21 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you! Yeah, I wanted to put a message in there. Glad you liked it! :D

Reply

Doubra Akika
19:22 Aug 15, 2020

It was amazing! If you’re not too busy though, would you mind checking out my story?

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:37 Aug 15, 2020

Of course! I'll go as soon as I can!

Reply

Doubra Akika
19:41 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
נιмму 🤎
16:46 Aug 15, 2020

this felt like it would be a real talk show! I could feel the chemistry between them, and the hype that merv had (that talk host usually have) felt very realistic! You have a talent of creating great characters, and their dialog flowed smoothly. Simple prompt; GREAT story! 🥰

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:04 Aug 15, 2020

Aw, really! Thanks! That means a lot! Also, I told my best friend to follow you on here, cause you remind me a lot of her, so you might get a new follower.

Reply

נιмму 🤎
20:27 Aug 15, 2020

no problem 😝whats your friends username??

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:29 Aug 15, 2020

Crystal W/ some sort of emoji

Reply

נιмму 🤎
20:30 Aug 15, 2020

i dont think ive seen a crystal in my notifications yet🤷

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:31 Aug 15, 2020

Yeah, she didn't do it yet, just giving you a heads up lol. She's not rlly active on here either, I told her about it. She had no stories or anything.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
01:09 Aug 15, 2020

You have a knack for vivid description and filling out characters. Well-written. The feelings came through with a smooth pace and excellent dialogue 👍 The first part of the story was very inspirational.

Reply

Amany Sayed
01:13 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me! So glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cal Carson
21:22 Aug 17, 2020

Great story, Amany! I really love Cora, she's such a lovable character. I loved the way you made it so simple, but your writing was so elegant and detailed. Great use of words. Just two tiny grammar edits, though. Where you say, '“You were great, Cora, really, what did I tell you, you were nervous for nothing.”Cora smiled.' You're just missing a couple spaces in between 'nothing' and 'Cora.' Also, in the line, '"You too comin’?” I think 'too' should be 'two.' Of course, if someone else has already mentioned these, feel fre...

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:41 Aug 17, 2020

Thanks so much! I don't know why everyone loves Cora so much, lol. Oh! Thanks a ton for catching those and reading so thoroughly! Thanks again! You too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jamela Faye
16:48 Aug 16, 2020

Woaaah that was awesome! I never thought she's also try love for the second time, too! This is very inspirational! I gave up on writing before because my friends usually laugh at me but since quarantine, when my parents sleep, I join contests.

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:11 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks so much! Yeah, I needed to somehow end it, and my stories are usually never done until there's a touch of romance... That's too bad! They probably aren't real friends if they don't support your dreams! I'm sure your parents would support you too! Keep writing! I'm sure you'll write a best seller someday!

Reply

Jamela Faye
17:23 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you so much! I'm crying right now~

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:31 Aug 16, 2020

Aw! Keep writing and stay strong! They are all probably jealous that you have the mind and soul of a storyteller! I'm glad I'm here to tell you that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
02:10 Aug 16, 2020

Ah this was a pleasant read. I think you managed to flesh out Cora well in the short word count and the message in this speaks to all creatives, including writers! ☺️ Good stuff Amany!

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:42 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks! Yeah,I wanted to put a message I'm there cause it's such a short story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
21:32 Aug 15, 2020

This story is so good and it has such a sweet ending! :) keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:52 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks so much! You too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
15:29 Aug 15, 2020

This was amazing! Your dialogue ran really smoothly, which made it even better! Great job!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:01 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks! I try to make my dialogue flow as smoothly as possible.

Reply

Avery G.
21:02 Aug 15, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Clara D Berry
18:17 Aug 24, 2020

You asked for a challenge, so here it is: Can you write a story about someone who gives up her art to follow her dream of becoming a teacher?

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:26 Aug 25, 2020

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! I wanted someone to like give me a parallel version of my story and this is PERFECT. I have the PERFECT plan, I'm switching it up, Cora and Merv switch, I'll do it for the fast friends one, this is perfect, I love it so much, except of course they'll fall in love because I have a romance problem, but I'm doing this week! Thanks so much!

Reply

Clara D Berry
01:48 Aug 25, 2020

You're welcome. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Itay Frenkel
02:06 Aug 17, 2020

Great job Amany! Your story had a good message and great dialogue. I also really liked the characters, especially Merv! If you get the chance, could you check out my new story "Temporary"?

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:03 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed! Of course, no problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:50 Aug 15, 2020

This was great! You weren't kidding about adding Romance at the end of your stories Lol😂 I enjoyed the whole thing, it really felt like a real show honestly. I enjoyed how you put in her backstory there too and how she grew up loving art. And it is really relatable cause I like to draw, I mean even though its not really my dream to become a artist when grow up I still hear that you know doing art won't get you a lot of money, and people won't buy it blah blah. Anyways back to your story. It was truly inspiration. Great job! - Ugochi✨ your...

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:03 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you so much! Yeah, please send help... Yay! I'm glad you liked it. I like to draw too! How alike can two people possibly be?! Thank you Snow 😉

Reply

19:44 Aug 15, 2020

I actually really like Snow, I think that might be it. I was just thinking that too. and I was literally reading your Bio and like I was like 'omg shes a Taurus, I'M A TAURUS' andd I literally just got a violin a few months ago (I'm still trash at it but- um hopefully I get better) but it was just crazy..! Oh and I was thinking about a nickname for you I was thinking Sunny, or Sanny. Even though you love Winter I think it really goes with your personality. If you don't like it😂I'll just keep on looking

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:41 Aug 15, 2020

Oh, and good luck with the violin. I have a bit of experience, so I'll say some advice. Don't focus on vibrato until you can play super in tune Practice practice PRACTICE Watch utube to help Do ur scales ~Sunny

Reply

23:54 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you so muccchhh😭Your the best! - Snow*~ 😊

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:57 Aug 15, 2020

I know 😂😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
20:12 Aug 15, 2020

Yay, I'm so glad! NO WAY! YOU'RE KIDDING! DO YOU LOVE FOOD/ARE YOU STUBBORN TOO (THAT'S WHAT TAURUSS DO LOL) Ahhhh, I can't believe I "met" you! Aw, Sunny is cute! Really, it goes with my personality? That makes me happy lol :)

Reply

20:53 Aug 15, 2020

Yess I get that I'm stubborn a lot, haters😂, and yes food is literally my first love. Yeah I imagine you as this really cheerful person it really just fits with Sunny!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:52 Aug 15, 2020

Thank youuuuuuuuuu :) ~Sunny

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:52 Aug 15, 2020

AMAZING!!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:13 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sandy Buxton
21:36 Aug 19, 2020

Really interesting tale. Nice twist at the end. I enjoyed the info and tension build but I think it would be a little better if we see Cora or Merv with some physical movement. ...Her hands were clenched on the chair arms (or together). Merv gestures to the audience... Nice story. Enjoyable read.

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:39 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks for reading! Interesting advice, I'll take it into consideration for future pieces. Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.