17 comments

Science Fiction Fiction

Author's note: I'm trying to make these a little shorter because I have so many to do, I also feel like they are getting kinda boring and repetitive. Ya'll tell me what you think!



Sulien, Lighterdome.

Project Ignite, day seven.

Yukio, Annie.

Female.

Age: 14.

Threat level: 0.

________________

She never expected it.

Never foresaw anything out of the ordinary would happen to her.

Annie lived a normal lived a normal life with her parents and little brother. Their house was large, their property spacious. But nothing new ever happened in their little family. Until one night.

Annie crawled out from under her covers. The clock on her desk read it was past midnight. Though it was late spring, she wore a thick, maroon hoodie.

She slid up the window and clambered out onto the flat roof. She pulled her hood over her red hair, the white tips hung in her face as she climbed to the highest point. Annie lay on her back, sharp green eyes reflecting the map of stars above her. The moon gleamed a soft, silver light on her.

Annie closed her eyes, glad for the moment of peace. She was an anxious girl, afraid to hurt anything or anyone. She was afraid of many things, but not of heights. Not of the dark.

Up here, she felt freed of some weight.

However, the feeling quickly disappeared as a helicopter roared overhead.

It all happened so fast.

Annie got to her feet, preparing to leave. It struck her from behind, that tiny dart.

Just an instant, and the unexpected happened.

Annie couldn’t decide if unexpected was good as her body struck the roof and all faded away.

____________

Retrieval successful.

____________




Sulien, Lighterdome.

Project Ignite, day eight.

Furik, Lyndyn.

Female.

Age: 16.

Threat level: 2.7.

_________________

“I suggest you stay on the floor if you want to keep your teeth,” Lyndyn hissed, silver eyes blazing as she stared down the man in front of her. She pushed him, she was stronger and taller than him, the force of her shove sent him sprawling to the dirty floor. Before he could recover, she stole around the corner of a shabby building and disappeared. The man had threatened to steal from her. She delivered a rock-hard fist to his face in reply. When he tried to fight back, she had given him a warning.

Lyndyn had learned the hard way that in her city, you can’t be soft on anyone, because they won’t be soft on you. She had many a scar hidden beneath her dark cloak. The man had made a mistake thinking she was easy picking. He had learned a hard lesson that day.

Don’t mess with Lyndyn Furik.

Lyndyn swept her amber hair out of her face. She pulled the cowl of her dark cloak over her head, obscuring her features. Hidden beneath it, there were multiple daggers and other useful tools. Over her shoulder one could see the feathered ends of arrows. She had strung the large longbow across her chest.

Her cloaked form was barely visible as Lyndyn stole through the plentiful shadows towards her target, a small and rarely visited store. She moved closer.

Ten meters. She took her bow off her back, nocking a blunt arrow. This was not a normal arrow.

Five meters. She pulled back the arrow, back muscles bunching together.

She positioned herself, carefully aiming at her target.

__________

Retrieval in action...

__________

Just as her fingers were about to release, a noise from above startling her and her shot went wide, hurtling over the head of her target, who flinched violently. Lyndyn swore under her breath. The arrow was made to incapacitate its target, but not when she missed.

Lyndyn glanced up, cursing whatever that had startled her. Her colorful language ceased as her eyes fell on a glistening black helicopter hovering the air. It had been years since she saw one of those.

She frowned at it. It was low, the roar of the blades grated on her ears. As she watched, two men sped down almost invisible cables and landed somewhere out of view. Time to go. Lyndyn spun on her heel and hurried down the alley behind her. She had nearly been caught trying to steal from the store, so it would be best if she wasn’t seen.

Lyndyn replaced the dulled arrow in her tall boot and slung her bow back over shoulder as she hurried away. The chilly air raised goosebumps on her skin.

She turned into another alley, almost to her hideout, but barring her way was the two men from the helicopter. In an instant, Lyndyn whipped out her bow and nocked a normal arrow. The gleaming arrowhead was pointed straight at them. “Get out of my way.” she said evenly.

They were carrying guns. They didn’t say a word, but they had an air of confidence around them. One of them leveled his gun at Lyndyn and pulled the trigger.

Lyndyn instantly jumped out of the way, using her momentum to lunge at the man who had shot. He fell, but she fell with him. He hit the ground heavily, quickly recovering.

He jumped to his feet and swung a fist at her.

She danced out of the way.

The other man shot at her.

She dodged.

In the fray, Lyndyn had dropped her bow. She cursed herself for her stupidity and pulled out one of her daggers. The fight came to a stand-still. The two men stood in ready stances. Without thinking, Lyndyn hurled her dagger at the closest man, catching him in the shoulder. He cried out and fell with a thump. One down, one to go.

Lyndyn turned to the other man, but only to find he was gone. She glanced around. Where could he have gone? She got her answer when pain lanced through her neck and head. Just before she collapsed, she saw him. He climbed the wall and shot her from the roof. Smart.

_________

Note: Injuries inflicted due to self-protection.

Retrieval successful.

_________


Featured in this story: Phoebe DeNeve as Annie and Luna Colon as Lyndyn. (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know if it was another Luna. It just said Luna in the form)

March 30, 2021 20:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

11:14 Mar 31, 2021

I agree with Lone Wolf- I can’t wait for the others to get captured!! I am really looking forward to all of them meeting each other. That is going to be a very crazy (and super fun) meeting. 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darya Silman
05:39 Mar 31, 2021

The story is great, and I want to read more. But you managed not to follow the prompt :))) Long stories (novels, poetry, etc) can be posted on wattpad com. It's a platform for writers, no restrictions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
20:03 Apr 06, 2021

Superb and divine story

Reply

Show 0 replies

NOOOOODLESSSS

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
20:07 Apr 06, 2021

Yummy nooodles

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phoebe DeNeve
05:16 Apr 01, 2021

You did an amazing job on this one, and I can't wait for the others. Keep up the great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
A.G. Looney
21:26 Mar 31, 2021

Yes, OC stands for Original Character, your correct. As far as the stories thing, thank you for telling me. I understand that you are new too and don't know a whole lot yet. But thanks for responding and not just ignoring, that is very kind of you 😌. Thank you for reading my stories and liking them, I look forward to starting my new story, which will be a marvel fanfic about the daughter of Thanos(not Nebula or Gamora, my character design.) I plan on making it series, such as the ones you do, and hope to bring a lot of enjoyment to other peo...

Reply

Creed .
21:45 Mar 31, 2021

I look forward to reading your story! (I know a lot of people just say this, but for real, I do!) Thank you for reading the story you have. Good Evening!

Reply

A.G. Looney
02:13 Apr 01, 2021

Same! I'll get to reading your stories ASAP, promise!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A.G. Looney
17:17 Mar 31, 2021

Hi, I saw you can join a story, somehow, in the comments. I'm seriously interested, especially if it's all Marvel fanfic or something. Could you please explain this and when and how I'm able to sign up? Sorry if this is a waste of your time. I do have marvel OC, if you interested in that. Noodles

Reply

Creed .
20:16 Mar 31, 2021

I'm sorry, I've only been here on Reedsy for three months and still don't know much about it. Maybe try asking someone else about the joining stories thing. I have read both your stories and enjoyed them both. I am assuming OC stands for original character, but you'll have to correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
20:06 Apr 06, 2021

Perfect philosophical divine can not be corrected we have to ask someone outside the world to correct you but we are sorry there is no one on planet earth to correct you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jay DMer
16:09 Mar 31, 2021

Ah!! Literally thought the bad guys literally killed Lyndyn. Hopefully, she just got tasered of something, cross-fingers*. I really like the character of Luna. I cant wait for the next stories<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
02:53 Mar 31, 2021

eek! So excited for the others to get captured (wow that sounded darker than intended XD)! I get that when you're writing a series and then you just want to get to the main exciting part. It happens. I hope you are doing well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
AntMan 🐜
23:25 Mar 30, 2021

😁These are all so great! As for the question about these being shorter: If you don't have time to make them super long, then you should probably make them short. But! If you make them too short and don't give any information, then there might be a problem later on. I think this amount of info would be a happy medium, so I would keep it this length! 😁 P.S. I love how you play out each backstory!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
02:47 Apr 11, 2021

This is great, and I'm super curious as to why everyone's being captured...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ryan LmColli
19:41 Apr 08, 2021

First of all, a big thank you for such an excellent critique of my story. And coming from someone who's heading the leaderboard this is very humbling. I gave read a couple of your stories, and as I had mentioned I am a huge, huge fan of writing skills. Let me tell you, this is my first attempt at a longer story though I have penned four full length novels besides two books of poems. I wrote this on my phone, and hit the sent button without so much as a second look. Also, it's something to do with my phone button keys- I get confused and at t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.