The Physics Professor and the Latte

Submitted into Contest #174 in response to: Write a story about a brilliant scientist making a startling discovery.... view prompt

76 comments

American Happy Romance

It wasn’t like Dr. Stevens to spend $4.38 for coffee. 

Not coffee—a latte

A latte was essentially fancy coffee with a thin layer of foamed milk. Either way, $4.38 was an egregious amount of money to spend on a beverage for a young professor with crushing student loans—a young professor who wasn’t sure about his lackadaisical students understanding the beauty of physics—a young professor who would have been just as happy sipping the dregs from the burnt coffee pot in the faculty lounge. 

He wasn’t sure why he agreed to meet the one colleague who had befriended him since joining the faculty. She taught in the university's humanities department. 

As he waited, he noted the other patrons’ coffee cups festooned with decorative swirls in the foam. 

Not foam—crema

Is that what justified the expense? 

He thought about the formulas for oscillations and mechanical waves that made the coffee swirls possible. This passed the time while he checked his watch and waited.

Perhaps he should order his coffee now? 

According to the laws of thermodynamics, the coffee would cool too quickly before his colleague’s arrival. Of course, this was relative to how much energy would be given off by the styrofoam cup compared to the time it would take the coffee to lose its energy. He quickly conjured up the equations, solving for x.

He looked at his watch again. From the sidewalk, he watched cars start and stop at random intervals, mentally drawing up a calculus proof of centripetal acceleration.

“Sorry I’m late,” she repeated, more loudly. 

“Oh, I didn’t see you,” he smiled sheepishly. She’d startled him.

“This coffee shop is fun. You’ll like it!” she beamed. 

She liked everything, like most humanities professors. The humanities building brimmed with effervescent idealists, all on the cusp of discovering new revelations about the human condition. Its lobbies were cozy with overstuffed couches and festive throw pillows. There were “contemplating chairs” to invite minds to ruminate. 

As for the physics building? The 1970’s gray slab had the worst lighting on campus, tacitly alerting future engineering students that they’d sold their souls to STEM, a lifetime of endless physics and calculus calculations. 

Dr. Stevens’ new friend opened the door to the coffee shop for both of them. He peered at the array of options posted on the wall above the counter.

“See the specials on the chalkboard? Every month the coffee shop picks a theme. Since October is cuffing season—”

Cuffing season?” Dr. Stevens inquired. 

“October is the official start of cuffing season. When there’s a chill in the air? You haven’t noticed students pairing off—sometimes right in the hallway? It’s the time of year to find a mate to cozy up with for the winter months,” she laughed, a sound as melodious as windchimes. 

But he knew the sound of her laugh was simply vibrations in the air traveling in longitudinal waves. 

Yet, still. 

“Oh, cuffing season, I see,” Dr. Stevens replied.

“So there are eight special lattes,” she continued. “All based on the eight types of love, according to the Greeks.”

“I didn’t think I’d need a humanities professor to order a cup of coffee,” Dr. Stevens said seriously, but she laughed, touching his arm. 

“There’s Autumnal Agape with cinnamon and vanilla. Agape is unconditional love.” 

“Like a mother’s love?”

“More like Jesus,” she replied. 

“That may be a bridge too far. How about the Magic Mania with Irish crème? That sounds good,” he suggested.

“Mania means obsessive love. It’ll get you a restraining order.”

“I’ll pass on that one,” he decided. They both nodded in mutual agreement.

“Let’s see. How about a Pint of Pragma with toffee and buttered rum?”

“It sounds like old people smell,” he remarked, knowing that quantum physics purported that smell depended on the shapes of molecules, not age. 

“Makes sense that you’d feel that way as pragma is love that has matured over time. It’s like watching your grandparents hold hands, assuming they are still married,” she added quickly.

“They’re dead, so let’s pass on the pragma.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. Let’s look at the next one.” She squinted. Her nose scrunched up in an adorable way, a way that Dr. Stevens stared at for a bit too long. “Steaming Storge with hazelnut? Fabulous Philia with raspberry? Both have heavy friendship connotations.”

“Friendship is all right,” he wavered a bit.

“Ah! Peppermint Philautia, the love of self. Perfect for you!” she beamed.

“Do I come across as arrogant?” He was stung.

“No,” she laughed her windchime laugh. “Philautia is self-care, self-compassion. It’s a healthy love.”

I’ve had years of self-care, Dr. Stevens thought. Years alone in the lab with Michelson and Morley's luminiferous ether experiment and Minkowski's spacetime and the Lorentz transformation. No where in Einstein's velocity addition did anyone mention anything about cuffing season. 

“You could try Elderberry Eros,” she whispered slyly.

“Eros—”

“Eros is unchecked passion. Perfect for a lost weekend in Vegas. It’s the type of love that burns hot and bright, yet burns out fast. The Greeks were actually afraid of Eros, afraid of losing control.” 

Eros is basically combustion, Dr. Stevens surmised. A chemical reaction between substances. It would generate a lot of heat and light in the form of a flame. 

“I’m not sure what elderberry tastes like, so I’m not going to risk my $4.38,” he decided. She thought he was joking again and laughed, returning her hand to his arm. It felt nice there.

“Last one. Red Licorice Ludus.”

“I love red licorice!” he exclaimed, pulling out his wallet. “What exactly is ludus? Can I get arrested for it?”

“Ludus is the Greeks’ playful form of love. It’s a crush—the starting point for all lovers,” she explained.

“That is the perfect cup of coffee for cuffing season,” he said, calculating how cozy it would be to cuddle up with her. 

And with that, Dr. Stevens cheerfully paid $8.76 for two Red Licorice Ludus Lattes, and even tossed the extra $1.24 into the tip jar on the way out. 


December 03, 2022 00:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

76 comments

Delbert Griffith
19:25 Dec 09, 2022

Ok. I just had a shot of Jack Daniels (my personal siren) and am sipping a beer, so I now feel qualified to make a fool of myself with a comment or two. I read a few authors very carefully, you being one of those few. I re-read. I analyze. Call it an obsession, so I guess some Magic Mania for me. I am struck by the war (if you will) being played out by science and the humanities. As a man steeped in the arcane art of mathematics, I should be offended, right? Not so. I found this delightful interplay between the hard sciences and the soft h...

Reply

21:16 Dec 10, 2022

Glad your liquor cabinet is doing its job of providing liquid confidence. :) Your thoughtful reading elicited a far deeper meaning than I probably intended, so thanks for making me sound smarter than I am. I am down for duality, the engine that makes everything chug along. Being unbalanced seems to be the worse crime, I've decided, now that I'm old(er). Also, thanks for fact-checking the science. And I'm hopeless at math, too. Left brain all shriveled up on some level. Always fun to hear from you. Send over your novel outline after 12/2...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. B. Bullet
16:46 Dec 07, 2022

You've really got a way with bringing a character together nicely! The professor comes across from every little nook in this story, and it's super endearing. Not sure why, but the slight insecurity at coming across as arrogant humanized him so much for me that EYE might have been the one forming a little crush at that point. He definitely feels autistically coded, not sure if on purpose, but I love seeing those kinds of characters explored, if even a little. Lovely work, as usual! Also great job on making each of those lattes sound yummy

Reply

21:32 Dec 07, 2022

Agreed: Nerds are hawt ❣ Thanks for dropping by for a read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Rozanski
17:28 Dec 06, 2022

This story... Its very sweet and adorable. You alway have a way of putting a twist on the prompts and opening door to ideas and possibilities that us readers would not have thought of on our own. How do you know what to write about and how to portray the feelings you want to in the correct and appropriate way to your readers?

Reply

21:41 Dec 07, 2022

I have no idea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sometimes things just align. I usually have no idea. I try to come up with a character I like -- then run around after them to see what they do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
22:29 Dec 05, 2022

Ooh - another analytical romance! Love it. You have this down pat. Witty and sweet - but what is sweet, really? *The gustatory organ, the taste buds, expresses a canonical sweet taste receptor, whose activation induces Ca2+ rise, cell depolarization and ATP release to communicate with afferent gustatory nerves* OR is it… 🥰? Keep them coming through December, please!

Reply

23:14 Dec 05, 2022

Cite your sources ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡ ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡ ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Reply

Cindy Strube
23:33 Dec 05, 2022

😉 https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2021.667709/full

Reply

23:58 Dec 05, 2022

Taste bud cells make up less than 1% of the tongue !!!

Reply

Cindy Strube
00:24 Dec 06, 2022

Yep, science is fascinating! But love makes the world go ‘round…

Reply

00:27 Dec 06, 2022

...and sets it on fire.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
05:52 Dec 05, 2022

Thank you for this, Deidra! The perfect story to end my night. I'm a very auditory person so I used my text-to-speech app to listen to this as an audiobook; loved every minute of it (Also, as a grammar nerd, I must say your syntax is impeccable--but you already know that. The text-to-speech app had zero hiccups.) Plus, I learned something new--I've never heard of the seven types of love (only the nine circles of hell 😂) I'm reading more about it now. Favorite line of many: she laughed, a sound as melodious as windchimes. But he knew t...

Reply

21:34 Dec 05, 2022

Ooo. Text-to-speech. Can you pick the gender and dialect? That could be cool. As for the types of love, the Greeks figured EVERYTHING out. Highly recommend: http://rhetoric.byu.edu/ The Greeks knew how to use words to their advantage...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
00:52 Dec 06, 2022

It's pretty cool! I upgraded (for I think $5) to translate longer copy https://voicemaker.in And yes! There are many types of voices and you can add inflections like happy or sad. I need a Greek perspective on love!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
00:16 Dec 05, 2022

First, Deidra, before I forget, isn't a cappuccino, and not a latte, a serving of coffee with a topping of foam? I only know because I used to be an incorrigible imbiber of the Euro-trashy caffeinated scholar's libation. Aside from that minor, but important, narrative detail, I've got to say the way you bridge the mundane (flirtatious coffee shop banter), and the philosophical (different classical words for the differing concepts of love), is brilliant. Its imbricating of the quotidian and sublime makes this my favorite of the latest half...

Reply

01:02 Dec 05, 2022

I hate coffee, almost as much as math (and physics.) This story worked out a lot of demons :) If anything, I research the shit out of stuff: https://crema-coffee.com/brewing-guide-latte-art Your diction is why I love you: incorrigible, imbiber, libation, mundane, imbricating, quotidian, Rock on... I'm almost convinced you are the reincarnation of Samuel Johnson. https://samueljohnson.com/

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:37 Dec 05, 2022

These days, coffee rubs me the wrong way as well. I looked up Samuel Johnson. He had an intellectual's equivalent of a potty mouth ;P Not an altogether bad reincarnation, though.

Reply

02:01 Dec 05, 2022

Samuel Johnson was too smart for this world (and too funny.) Check out some entries of his dictionary—and Black Adder does a great send up of him. https://johnsonsdictionaryonline.com/

Reply

Mike Panasitti
02:02 Dec 05, 2022

I did a random search on the dictionary and it spat out the following lovelies: fireshovel, ostentatiousness, and transmutable....now that I think of it, not altogether random.

Reply

18:26 Dec 05, 2022

The Circle of Liiiiiife

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.