The Physics Professor and the Latte

Submitted into Contest #174 in response to: Write a story about a brilliant scientist making a startling discovery.... view prompt

76 comments

American Happy Romance

It wasn’t like Dr. Stevens to spend $4.38 for coffee. 

Not coffee—a latte

A latte was essentially fancy coffee with a thin layer of foamed milk. Either way, $4.38 was an egregious amount of money to spend on a beverage for a young professor with crushing student loans—a young professor who wasn’t sure about his lackadaisical students understanding the beauty of physics—a young professor who would have been just as happy sipping the dregs from the burnt coffee pot in the faculty lounge. 

He wasn’t sure why he agreed to meet the one colleague who had befriended him since joining the faculty. She taught in the university's humanities department. 

As he waited, he noted the other patrons’ coffee cups festooned with decorative swirls in the foam. 

Not foam—crema

Is that what justified the expense? 

He thought about the formulas for oscillations and mechanical waves that made the coffee swirls possible. This passed the time while he checked his watch and waited.

Perhaps he should order his coffee now? 

According to the laws of thermodynamics, the coffee would cool too quickly before his colleague’s arrival. Of course, this was relative to how much energy would be given off by the styrofoam cup compared to the time it would take the coffee to lose its energy. He quickly conjured up the equations, solving for x.

He looked at his watch again. From the sidewalk, he watched cars start and stop at random intervals, mentally drawing up a calculus proof of centripetal acceleration.

“Sorry I’m late,” she repeated, more loudly. 

“Oh, I didn’t see you,” he smiled sheepishly. She’d startled him.

“This coffee shop is fun. You’ll like it!” she beamed. 

She liked everything, like most humanities professors. The humanities building brimmed with effervescent idealists, all on the cusp of discovering new revelations about the human condition. Its lobbies were cozy with overstuffed couches and festive throw pillows. There were “contemplating chairs” to invite minds to ruminate. 

As for the physics building? The 1970’s gray slab had the worst lighting on campus, tacitly alerting future engineering students that they’d sold their souls to STEM, a lifetime of endless physics and calculus calculations. 

Dr. Stevens’ new friend opened the door to the coffee shop for both of them. He peered at the array of options posted on the wall above the counter.

“See the specials on the chalkboard? Every month the coffee shop picks a theme. Since October is cuffing season—”

Cuffing season?” Dr. Stevens inquired. 

“October is the official start of cuffing season. When there’s a chill in the air? You haven’t noticed students pairing off—sometimes right in the hallway? It’s the time of year to find a mate to cozy up with for the winter months,” she laughed, a sound as melodious as windchimes. 

But he knew the sound of her laugh was simply vibrations in the air traveling in longitudinal waves. 

Yet, still. 

“Oh, cuffing season, I see,” Dr. Stevens replied.

“So there are eight special lattes,” she continued. “All based on the eight types of love, according to the Greeks.”

“I didn’t think I’d need a humanities professor to order a cup of coffee,” Dr. Stevens said seriously, but she laughed, touching his arm. 

“There’s Autumnal Agape with cinnamon and vanilla. Agape is unconditional love.” 

“Like a mother’s love?”

“More like Jesus,” she replied. 

“That may be a bridge too far. How about the Magic Mania with Irish crème? That sounds good,” he suggested.

“Mania means obsessive love. It’ll get you a restraining order.”

“I’ll pass on that one,” he decided. They both nodded in mutual agreement.

“Let’s see. How about a Pint of Pragma with toffee and buttered rum?”

“It sounds like old people smell,” he remarked, knowing that quantum physics purported that smell depended on the shapes of molecules, not age. 

“Makes sense that you’d feel that way as pragma is love that has matured over time. It’s like watching your grandparents hold hands, assuming they are still married,” she added quickly.

“They’re dead, so let’s pass on the pragma.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. Let’s look at the next one.” She squinted. Her nose scrunched up in an adorable way, a way that Dr. Stevens stared at for a bit too long. “Steaming Storge with hazelnut? Fabulous Philia with raspberry? Both have heavy friendship connotations.”

“Friendship is all right,” he wavered a bit.

“Ah! Peppermint Philautia, the love of self. Perfect for you!” she beamed.

“Do I come across as arrogant?” He was stung.

“No,” she laughed her windchime laugh. “Philautia is self-care, self-compassion. It’s a healthy love.”

I’ve had years of self-care, Dr. Stevens thought. Years alone in the lab with Michelson and Morley's luminiferous ether experiment and Minkowski's spacetime and the Lorentz transformation. No where in Einstein's velocity addition did anyone mention anything about cuffing season. 

“You could try Elderberry Eros,” she whispered slyly.

“Eros—”

“Eros is unchecked passion. Perfect for a lost weekend in Vegas. It’s the type of love that burns hot and bright, yet burns out fast. The Greeks were actually afraid of Eros, afraid of losing control.” 

Eros is basically combustion, Dr. Stevens surmised. A chemical reaction between substances. It would generate a lot of heat and light in the form of a flame. 

“I’m not sure what elderberry tastes like, so I’m not going to risk my $4.38,” he decided. She thought he was joking again and laughed, returning her hand to his arm. It felt nice there.

“Last one. Red Licorice Ludus.”

“I love red licorice!” he exclaimed, pulling out his wallet. “What exactly is ludus? Can I get arrested for it?”

“Ludus is the Greeks’ playful form of love. It’s a crush—the starting point for all lovers,” she explained.

“That is the perfect cup of coffee for cuffing season,” he said, calculating how cozy it would be to cuddle up with her. 

And with that, Dr. Stevens cheerfully paid $8.76 for two Red Licorice Ludus Lattes, and even tossed the extra $1.24 into the tip jar on the way out. 


December 03, 2022 00:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

76 comments

Jack Bell
08:06 Dec 03, 2022

Your prose unfailingly hits the sweet spot. Seductively and so enjoyably easy to read, while also intelligently stimulating. That is by way of blaming you for my inability to resist close-reading the piece in a probably fairly reprehensible manner... Is this a love story or a rather sad story of missed opportunity? Everyone’s a winner in this charming vignette—Dr. Stevens, the unnamed humanities colleague, cuffing, the tip jar. There’s only one brief glimpse of a sad-sack loser and it’s Physics, represented by the lonely gray slab buildin...

Reply

21:47 Dec 03, 2022

Jack, I love comments that are longer than the story :) and I believe all miserable old misanthropes are the best of men. You make a good point about the subtext skewering Physics generally and STEM field majors in particular. During the past decade, humanities have been jettisoned for "left brain" degrees. This is cyclical, as Ages of Enlightenment tend to go too far (SEE "GULLIVER'S TRAVELS - PART III. A VOYAGE TO LAPUTA, BALNIBARBI, GLUBBDUBDRIB, LUGGNAGG AND JAPAN.) When they do, the humanities (and Hamlet and hippies) always sho...

Reply

Jack Bell
09:09 Dec 04, 2022

Ha! Your Sirens riff is very true a little bit magnificent. Make it a prompt! I could not agree more about the need for more art/poetry/spirituality. I guess I have a different view of its opposing force in our time. Not science, not rationality per se, but POLITICS. All is now politics (along with its evil helpmeet Bureaucracy). And it's driving everyone mad. The exciting artistic and spiritual possibilities raised by the Aquarian hippies burned off fast and left us with nothing but politics, politics, politics. And I like to think Hamle...

Reply

11:02 Dec 04, 2022

Hamlet loves R&C — and he is authentically glad to see them until he finds out they are being bribed to spy on him by his stepfather and mother. Losing his friends is Hamlet’s third and last foundational loss. The first loss is his family — murdered father, duplicitous uncle, and (slutty?) mom. (And when did Gertrude’s affair start, anyway?) The second loss is the love of his life. Ophelia dumps him because her father and brother grotesquely overthink her sex life. (That creepy castle, claustrophobic and besieged both inside and out. No won...

Reply

11:08 Dec 04, 2022

I see the sciences and the humanities as dualism, not opposites. Yin and Yang. Necessary. We need both in the proper proportions that the times require. As for politics? 🤮 It is the very opposite of education. Pure knee jerk opinion over logic and reason. Tribalism at its core. As Shakespeare should have written in Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the [political pundits]".

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jack Bell
12:27 Dec 04, 2022

"Hamlet loves R&C" Well that floored me! Maybe in his childhood, but from the very first moment of their meeting, Hamlet's onto them, surely. "What's the news?" and "Well, let be question more particular" -- while R and G are waffling with the most egregious smarminess. Do you really think Hamlet's banter with them is open, hearty friendship? I just had another look -- I could never read it that way. I've always taken it for granted Hamlet knew of their brief before he met them, or twigged the very second he saw them. Compare his first meet...

Reply

13:17 Dec 04, 2022

As nebulous as things are in Hamlet (which is why it is great), the one truism is that his (probable college buddy from Wittenberg) Horatio is honest and faithful to Hamlet from his very first line: "Friends to this ground" to his last line: "Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince, / And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest." Everyone else is suspect. Yes, Hamlet loved R&C -- his childhood friends! -- until they showed their true colors. Here's the context. Hamlet's mental state has been bandied about in court -- his girlfri...

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Indy Walen
16:55 Dec 03, 2022

This was such a wonderful story to read! As a former barista and a current professor I really delighted in the simple yet elegant way you described everything. I really loved how you wrote her laugh sounding like a wind chime. Also, not going to lie, all those lattes sounded really delicious! You are super creative!

Reply

20:53 Dec 03, 2022

So, I basically wrote your biography? (What a coincidence!!) Fun fact: I don't even like coffee and I have never bought a latte or expresso or ??? -- so writing this was an act of faith (and research.) Funner Fact: My Starbucks order is always one Iced Passion Tango® Herbal Tea with no sweetener -- TRENTA, BABY.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jordan Bassett
16:54 Dec 03, 2022

So different loveing this

Reply

20:50 Dec 03, 2022

It loves you right back.

Reply

Jordan Bassett
23:10 Dec 03, 2022

Aww so kind keep smiling I know didn't get much but positive vibes I have so kind thankyou means a lot even just one or more I truly have a golden heart keep smiling

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jordan Bassett
07:21 Dec 08, 2022

Thankyou means alot keep smiling

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jordan Bassett
12:40 Dec 08, 2022

Thankyou keep smiling so kind

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 5 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:20 Dec 04, 2022

Really enjoyed this interpretation of the prompt. A discovery of human emotion is also a valid discovery. You've paired the two opposites really nicely here, creating strong characters as representatives of the opposing sides, though I do wonder about science and humanities being in opposition, rather than working in concert. Then again, you conclusion suggests the possibility of the two united, an idea people should be reminded of. I work in education, and the overwhelming assault of STEM worship on the humanities in recent years has been d...

Reply

17:01 Dec 04, 2022

Thanks for the wonderful comment, Laurel. I think discovering we are human (and having the same emotions/experiences as recorded in literature ever since the Epic of Gilgamesh) is the best discovery -- but you know how English teachers are.) I totally agree with you that the sciences and the humanities work together in tandem. Not particularly harmoniously, but still -- a pair, indeed. Many of my students who have gone off to college to earn STEM degrees suffer when existential crises hit; science offers cold comfort. But then again, it's...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
19:00 Dec 04, 2022

I'm guessing you are an English teacher! Likewise. Good point about an excess of STEM ed (or absence of Humanities) leaving students ill-prepared for personal crisis. But I'd also add that it is leaving all of us ill prepared to deal with each other interpersonally. The thing about literature is its ability to help us see from another perspective, to practice empathy, to understand others across time and space and our suppossed differences. I think we need that now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:29 Dec 04, 2022

A nice scene in a coffee shop between two completely different types of people, and we learn something completely new and unexpected about the Greek list of love's flavors. Then I went backed and looked at what prompt this was written for. The brilliant scientist makes a 'humanities' discovery at the end LOL. A fun and uplifting short story;)

Reply

17:06 Dec 04, 2022

Thanks for the read, Scott. The startling discovery for our scientist is -- that someone likes him (!) ƪ(ˆ◡ˆ)ʃ♡ƪ(ˆ◡ˆ)ʃ Whether platonic or romantic, the fact that another human being puts up with us is always a revelation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Starry Skies
00:25 Dec 04, 2022

Wow, this is really fun! I like all the different types of coffees based on the types of love, that's super creative. I love the protagonist, I think his little crush on his co-worker is adorable, and I think you portray how he reacts to it well with the rest of the information we have on him.

Reply

17:15 Dec 04, 2022

Glad to oblige with a pre-holiday love story. I'll save the tragedies in January, when the bills are due and the skies are gray. For now? Deck the halls with fun romances :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jordan Bassett
23:13 Dec 03, 2022

Thankyou so much and following me

Reply

17:15 Dec 04, 2022

Good luck with your writing :)

Reply

Jordan Bassett
06:11 Dec 05, 2022

Thankyou means so much so kind keep smiling

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jordan Bassett
05:43 Dec 09, 2022

It's a pasion my grandma says I have a gift with words never give up doing that I can randomly start writing anything so cool I love from the heart writing for others golden heart keep smiling fabulous

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
22:33 Dec 03, 2022

What a fun coffee shop! I see the Rom-Com story arc to come, the misconstrued physics reference, then the humanities professor ex- who shows up with the Elderberry Eros dripping over his large and elegant fingers, until the friend with the Fabulous Philia encourages them to make one more go, and finally they reminisce over a Pint of Pragma how they could have ever been apart.

Reply

17:20 Dec 04, 2022

To quote Johnny Mathis: "Perhaps the glow Of love will grow With every passing day? Or we may never meet again But then It's not for me to say." ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
05:03 Dec 03, 2022

This was fantastic! I'm a big fan of fiction blended with science, and the wordplay with the names of the coffees was just plain fun. :) Great story!

Reply

20:46 Dec 03, 2022

Woo hoo! I'm glad you enjoyed this bit of froth. And the Greeks figured everything out -- EVERYTHING -- even love :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
04:40 Dec 03, 2022

Out of curiousity, are you a student of physics? All your descriptions and callbacks to concepts in physics were immaculate, and I loved the style of piece and the amusing way it flowed.

Reply

20:44 Dec 03, 2022

I am barely a student of simple addition. I'm sure someone will correct my dabbling with the dark arts...math (shudder!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Physics and a latte. I wonder, how will these things play off of each other? Ah, romance! Always throwing us into unusual situations. [Perfectly for a lost weekend in Vegas.] I think [perfectly] is supposed to be {perfect} [She thought he was joking again and laughed, returning her hand on his arm.] Perhaps swap [on] for {to} I like how in the beginning, before the humanities professor arrives, Dr. Stevens is thinking about physics equations: [He thought about the formulas for oscillations and mechanical waves that made the coffee swirls...

Reply

20:43 Dec 03, 2022

Thanks for the wonderful comment and the SUPERIOR editing! :) Great catches. I was hurrying to meet the deadline and you absolutely found some hideous mistakes! Thanks for making me better. Happy holidays

Reply

I usually encounter the same difficulty, editing up to the deadline and missing things that need fixing. Glad to be of help. Happy holidays to you too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maliha Naveed
17:09 Dec 05, 2022

THIS IS AMAZING! I submitted a story for the first time but I must admit that this one is the best I’ve read so far!

Reply

21:32 Dec 05, 2022

Thanks for the kind remarks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roxanne Ward
05:13 Dec 05, 2022

I love the science the character goes through in contemplating how to order a coffee. “He thought about the formulas for oscillations and mechanical waves that made the coffee swirls possible.” His brain is in full calculation mode while awaits his date, that he calls a meeting. However, it is clear by her choice of conversation she has settled on it being a date. He doesn’t want to be alone, or should I say lonely. He reflects on engineers’ and their world of black and white numbers and “that they’d sold their souls to STEM, a lifetime of...

Reply

21:35 Dec 05, 2022

I wish this couple the best of luck. There are worse ways to start a lifetime together :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miriam Anderson
00:46 Dec 05, 2022

Hi! Beautiful job.! Quaint and comfortable, that sort of ordinary story that no one can deny loving! Masterfully done. And you should know how much you inspire me (I've read most of your stories) as I travel down that wearisome path towards being a better writer. Thx for this!

Reply

01:20 Dec 05, 2022

You've made my night. Thanks for the generous comment. The farther back you read, the worse my stories are. :) I definitely started out as a hack. Progress has been slow, but the only way to be a better writer is to write write write (and read read read.) I highly recommend attending writers' conferences in your area. It's so reassuring to talk with others in the community. (And Reedsy has been a warm and wonderful community -- a joy to be a part of.) Best wishes in your journey :) Onward!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:17 Dec 04, 2022

Another one of my favourites from you. Short and cute.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
19:43 Dec 04, 2022

A funny, sweet start-of-love story :) The barrage of flavours offer up all sorts of possibilities, and they explore them together until they finally find which one fits for them. No longer being students, they settle on an option that's perhaps more sensible, but still exciting. There's a sciences vs humanities undertone to this, which I think gives rise to a deeper meaning. Particularly, if we consider the Peppermint Philautia. Science/humanities are often split, even attributed to different halves of the brain, left/right. Taken to the ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jacob Brown
00:53 Dec 04, 2022

I loved this from beginning to end! I especially loved the line, "No where in Einstein's velocity addition did anyone mention anything about cuffing season." It ties in very nicely with his realization that there is more to life than just equations and physical principles, great job!!

Reply

17:10 Dec 04, 2022

Thanks, Jacob :) Tis the season to watch Lifetime Movies #relationshipgoals

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
00:42 Dec 04, 2022

Clapping. I am reminded of that scene in Sex and the City -- where Charlotte is taught by her new mother-in-law how to touch her fiance's arm so that he becomes a docile. The man cannot calculate the terms of his captivity. Your professor is great, paying more than he wants, learning about love. He even tips in custom. Are the cuffs fuzzy?

Reply

17:14 Dec 04, 2022

Dr. Stevens will be just fine. He could have been pursued by a political science teacher (!!!), or even worse, marketing. (And fuzzy cuffs? This is why we can't have nice things, Mr. GR.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:54 Sep 06, 2023

https://exampledomain.com/?u=XXXXX&o=YYYYY please come in I beg you

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:54 Sep 06, 2023

https://exampledomain.com/?u=XXXXX&o=YYYYY please come in I beg you

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.