48 comments

Fantasy

“You can’t go back.”



“I must.”



“It’s sheer madness, Your Excellency. At least allow a retinue of your finest soldiers to join you.”



“No, my soldiers have seen enough. This is my burden, anyway. I will bear witness in their stead. And I will suffer in their stead.”



“But, Your Excellency—”



“Not another word. I leave at dawn.”




🌱




The man who once ruled the world hauls a solemn canoe across liquid sadness. There is an ache in his arms, but it is the sweet ache of action, of blood coursing through once-slumbering musculature. The salt on the breeze swarms his lungs and fills him with vigor, with the sting of memories long-faded.



The sand welcomes him not with banners blaring the colors of a hundred nations or a mosaic of blood from a warzone, but with frigid apathy. He doesn’t even realize he’s come ashore until the oars give a gasp of exhaustion and refuse to budge.



He almost, almost expects to see such things when he plants two feet in terra firma and greets the world that was once below him.



(A palace, bricks proud and lustrous, casting a dutiful gaze over the children of tomorrow. A pristine stream, stringing every facet of civilization together like a necklace draped across a beating heart. Ribbons in the air, pink and blue and golden, flowing out of mouths and noses and ears, twisting souls together to make more souls.)



Now there is a mountainous tree, inflicting darkness under its canopy, where there was once a Palace. An alga-choked murk where there was once a stream. The hum of raw, unadulterated silence, like bees tumbling against the man’s jaw, where there was once laughter.



The man sheds a tear.



There is longing treading the strings of his heart, tiptoeing down the hallways of his soul like a lost child. It’s what jolted him out of complacency and brought him here to begin with, what fuels his feet to push past the curtain of fear framing the brokenness before him.



With nothing but the clothes on his back, the man takes a walk.



(“Long live the Emperor,” the world had cheered, and every syllable had been seared into his psyche, had propelled an uncertain young ruler to triumph after triumph, had secured him a future dripping with milk and honey. 



Not once had he paused to think.



Not even when a little girl warned him to leave the trees alone.)



There is no longer a world to cheer him on as he navigates shattered earth, vines groping their way out of fissures like lecherous hands up a skirt. There is only an air thick with silence and spores and a certain something that makes his heart rate surge in a curious mix of fear and excitement. A certain something that guides his feet to the heart of the brokenness, somewhere in the tree that was once a Palace.



He walks on, one foot in front of the other in rhythmic monotony, heedless to the ferns depositing their future across his ankles, to the tiny winged creatures that hover suspiciously around him, wary of his return. He came here with one goal in mind, and he won’t let the sight of so much wrongness deter him.



(The Palace bridge had welcomed him with uproarious applause, as per usual. Conquest after conquest, for every ocean of blood he had spilled across enemy soil, he had reinforced the love of his people.



So how could he refuse them, when they kept on loving and breeding and multiplying, and demanded more and more from him?



That was the first time he had sensed her presence. Crossing the bridge on a magnificent stallion, clad from head to toe in armor polished to such perfection that it glowed like the stars, he had experienced the chill of four words, burrowing through his helmet like a well-placed arrow:



“Leave the trees alone.”



In that heartbeat, his armor had never felt so rusted, his sword so dull, his mount more pathetic. And yet he was surrounded only by the love of his people.



Oh, how he wishes it had ended there.)



The Palace bridge is currently in shambles, fragmented into ruin yet held together haphazardly by tendrils of greenery that snake between the cracks and crevices, breathing a morsel of stability into a bygone structure. The man stumbles over rubble and slips on patches of moss, insufficient he is without a horse or armor to bear the brunt of his journey. This new world has stripped him bare, exposing his nakedness, his innate clumsiness that is to be human.



Was this inevitable? Did we… bring this upon ourselves?



The answers don’t matter. Not when they can’t banish the demons. Not when they can’t scrub him clean of sins.



A gaping mouth nestled in between two gargantuan roots has usurped the Palace gate. He allows it to swallow him, mind, body and spirit. Eeriness clamps down, along with an inky darkness so thick he begins to doubt his own existence. In the stillness, his thoughts begin to stir and foam at the top, threatening to erupt from his cranium and consume him from the inside out.



Until salvation arrives in the form of a pocket of light, waiting in the gloomy distance. He flits from one light source to the next, dutifully cleaving a path through nothingness. It emanates from the brick walls themselves; a type of mold, he figures, that exudes an otherworldly violet hue. Fear wraps its grimy tendrils around his bones, pulling him backwards, threatening to drag him out into the sunlight. His heart beats like moth wings, soft and diminutive, for fear that even the faintest disturbance will be his demise.



And yet he presses on. The darkness is nothing new.



(It had been dark when she had slipped into his presence, as gently as a leaf on the breeze.



The four words had jolted him awake. There had been a sense of being targeted, because his lover was still snoring beside him.



“Leave me be,” he had seethed through a curtain of cold sweat, the resoluteness of her presence ripping a response out of him.



“Then leave them be,” she’d shot back, right on cue, from the foot of his bed. Her voice was a raindrop, her eyes uncut gemstones piercing the black through to the man’s soul.



“I have wars to win,” he’d stated plainly, fear molting into anger. “The trees will die for my fortifications, for my siege weapons, for the fires that will melt rocks into tools. The land will bleed for its ore, for the iron that will transform men and women into soldiers, for the gold that will feed nations. The sky will choke on smoke and ash and the screams of the vanquished. You shan’t dissuade me from success.



“What of the birds that nest in those trees?” she had asked, unperturbed by his intensity. “What of the Planet, who weeps when you take His children out of the ground? What of the Planet, who yearns for the warmth of His parent, whose rays will never enter the ashen skies you leave behind?”



“All shall burn,” the man had declared, and he had been lucid. “All shall burn except for my Empire.”



It had taken a few heartbeats for him to realize the gemstones were long-gone, replaced by a suffocating darkness.)



Light. Streaming in from a tinted pane of smashed glass, an ugly vine dripping from the sill like a viscous teardrop. The man runs calloused fingers over once-pristine marble, over a thing that had a lifetime ago been the architectural wonder of the world. Now it harbors coiling green limbs that slither into every nook and cranny, the natural and the artificial coexisting in silent harmony.



Not a whimper escapes his feet as he treads hallways and spiral staircases, because there is a thick carpet of moss where there should be actual carpets. The Planet seems almost… curious, in the way it explores every man-made surface, in the way it has ruined but never erased.



In the way flowers blossom from the eye sockets of a fallen soldier, vibrant petals adorning the bones like medallions. The man crouches down and he… remembers.



(The scorched battlefield had been heavily seasoned with bodies, though mostly from the opposing side. Naturally.



She had appeared again, for the last time, in the aftermath of his greatest victory, an all-consuming fire framing her meek silhouette.



His soldiers had continued their merrymaking, laughing and drinking and sorting out the spoils of war, heedless to the anguish of their ruler. The air had been thick with smoke, and the sky had been ashen, just as he’d promised. And she had stood there, eyes brimming with tears, wearing a look that pressed upon him: “Why didn’t you listen?”



“Nothing will stop me,” he had yelled in her direction, drawing a few worried glances. “Nothing.



And then fear sank its claws into him. The glow of the fire brought out something in the girl. The veins clambering through her milk-pale skin seemed to pulse a green hue. Her locks had coiled into branches for a fleeting heartbeat. And a stream had flushed across her eyes, his panting face reflected in each watery pupil, so small, so pathetic.



He had expected fury, perhaps retaliation. Instead, she had appeared... sorrowful.



It is only much later, after she disappears, that he will realize she had been thinking of him.)



The man pauses a pace away from a set of massive double doors. Well, what was once double doors but is now a tangle of vines with slivers of regal wood peeking through.



His blood freezes before he can push them open. It started on the other side of these doors, and spread outwards like a shockwave, devouring the Palace first before claiming the city and everything beyond.



He sighs.



Remembering… hurts.



(The wings were only the beginning. They fluttered into the throne room, playful, carefree, majestic.



And then everything shattered like a dinner plate. The vines had come like piranhas, erupting from the floor, devouring the marble and spraying rubble into the air.



The creatures came next. Not just swarms of insects that herded stragglers to their demise, but once-dormant beasts clambering out of the dark belly of the earth, ancient monstrosities responding to the Planet’s cries for help.



Armor had split and swords had dulled that day, impotent in the face of a foe that doesn't flinch, that doesn't stagger, that doesn't stop.



The fear inflicted had been so incredible, so all-consuming that the man who was once Emperor could only watch as his lover was splattered across the pillars, a coating of paint to mark the sins of humanity. He had run, spiriting himself away from an unquenchable threat just like everyone else.



When he next looked back, a great tree had his Palace in its dark embrace, hunched over it like an owl over a mouse. He doesn’t know by what arcane powers led to it sprouting here.



He only knows that he's finally lost.)



The man pushes.



And sets his gaze upon destruction.



Only to find peace. The cracks are there, but the vines caress them into serenity, binding the fractured floor together like bandages. There is something strangely aesthetic about the two disparate elements, together, harmonious.



Your intention never had been to destroy, he realizes, but to reclaim.



It’s a moment from days gone, immortalized in a portrait, two radically different brushtrokes overlapping but never competing. The man expects some sliver of the Planet’s wrath to have remained, but even the air, unperturbed for a lifetime, is free from the iron tang of blood, from the echoes of screams.



It’s beautiful.



(It’s always been beautiful.)



His throne awaits him across a sea of moss. Slumbering under a blanket of dew-speckled green for god knows how long, it too has been reclaimed.



The man runs apologetic fingers across the emerald clumps, savors the trapped morning chill tickling his naked skin. He takes his place, allowing the Planet to envelope his being, to soothe his battered, broken soul. To forgive him.



When he next opens his eyes, a smile tugs at his lips.



The girl is there, in a distant corner of his throne room, watching. Golden ribbons twist the two souls together, and in those peaceful heartbeats they seem to echo each other’s sentiments; that they have been fighting for the same thing, and it had cost too many lives, but it had all been, inexplicably, worth it.



When the silence persists in beautiful tranquility, and the four words don’t come, the man rests his eyes again.



His throne has never been more comfortable.

September 19, 2020 03:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

48 comments

Harken Void
19:25 Sep 24, 2020

Well, you were right. I liked this story :) Your prose feels like opening an old book of spells and admiring the craftmanship of the old wizard's handwriting - it's rich, delicate and precise. You have a very eloquent way of writing (I found a few words that I'm not familiar with). The descriptions and analogies are excelent ("the vines reaching into the craks like hands under a skirt" "liquid sadness" "the four words, hit like a well-aimed arrow") and I could vividly imagine each one. And the story itself is intriguing, makes you devour t...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
00:32 Sep 25, 2020

Thanks so much for the lengthy review, this was awesome! I did certainly go for a fairytale style of writing, so that book of spells comparison is amazing. I had absolutely no idea about that envelop/envelope thing, thanks for enlightening me 😅 And yeah, I have to agree with you, I accidentally made the memories more exciting than the present events. I’ll keep your advice in mind for future stories 😉

Reply

Harken Void
17:03 Sep 25, 2020

Glad to help. Keep being awesome ;)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
17:04 Sep 25, 2020

Back at you 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
18:05 Sep 23, 2020

This is beautiful. The imagery, the tone, the care and consideration put into each word. Just beautiful. I absolutely love the narrator’s voice you have here. It’s almost mythological or fairy tale-like and it works so well. I have questions (where did he go to be safe? How did he escape? Why has he returned?) but they’re almost washed away by your prose. It’s too lovely to nitpick. Excellent writing - I really loved this one.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
18:17 Sep 23, 2020

Aagghh I wish you got here sooner 😫 those are definitely things I could have conveyed better since I wrote this one in a hurry. Basically, the Planet never wanted to kill him or his people, but only attacked the Empire to send a warning. He is allowed to escape so that he can return one day and ask for forgiveness, which the Planet accepts. But I’m glad you liked it anyway, thanks so much for the praise as always 😙

Reply

Elle Clark
18:20 Sep 23, 2020

I’ve been so busy the last two weeks! I’m sorry - you need to nudge me if you’ve got a new one up. I love to read them but if I’m not tapped on the shoulder, I get caught up in my own life. But honestly, the questions didn’t detract from your magical writing. I think this is my favourite one that you’ve written - the style is just gorgeous.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
18:30 Sep 23, 2020

Understandable, considering you're a judge and all that ;) Will keep that in mind. Wow, thank you. I didn't think any of my recent stories could top "Shell" (the one about the princess) so that means a lot!

Reply

Elle Clark
05:51 Sep 24, 2020

I did love that one. That one is a close second.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
02:37 Sep 22, 2020

Wow! This is fantastic! Your descriptions are delicious and I ate them up. It's like I almost forgot you could write this well after going through writer's block and debating if I should write another story. This fits the prompt like Cinderella and the glass slipper and I can't wait to read more of your work.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
04:37 Sep 22, 2020

Much appreciated! When you said you ate them up I imagined a golden retriever gobbling up a bowl full of adjectives 🤣 And I see you liked my story so much that you commented twice. Well I’m very much flattered I must say ☺️

Reply

Scout Tahoe
11:03 Sep 22, 2020

Oh haha, oops, that’s just me and my clumsy fingers. I deleted the extra one lol. Great story, though!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lina Oz
16:19 Sep 21, 2020

You have a control over language and structure that makes reading this story not only inviting, but enticing. It's so fluid. I couldn't STOP reading even if I wanted to (which I didn't). Also, your description is just fantastic. Poetic. Can't wait to read more of your work. I have a feeling I'll be waiting expectedly for more every week!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
20:47 Sep 21, 2020

Oh you’re too kind ☺️ Thanks so much, I definitely attempted a semi-poetic tone this time around.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
14:28 Sep 20, 2020

Highly skillful and poetic... as is your style, I guess. Your writing is simply on another level, I really can't say anything more than this. 😊

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
16:00 Sep 20, 2020

Hey, thanks so much! Means a lot more to me than you think coming from you 😉 I definitely went for poetic this time around!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L.A. Nolan
02:29 Sep 27, 2020

"In the way flowers blossom from the eye sockets of a fallen soldier, vibrant petals adorning the bones like medallions. The man crouches down and he… remembers." - Really, REALLY good. Your prose is so fluid....fantastic!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
09:01 Sep 27, 2020

Hey, thanks so much for the generous comment! Glad that line was worthy of being singled out haha 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shreya S
14:58 Sep 26, 2020

Oh wow I got confused at first and almost commented on another person's story that had the same title. Which is an amazing title again, by the way. I laughed reading it first but then i read the story and i didn't quite cry but i probably stopped breathing a couple centuries. THE DESCRIPTION! so so so so good. I can't even mention which lines i liked the most because I'd end up copy pasting the whole story. Every single line was 'rich, delicate and precise' in Harken Void's words, because they describe it perfectly. Teach me, sensei. ...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
15:17 Sep 26, 2020

HAHA yeah I think I saw that story, you know a pun is bad when everyone is using it 😂 And yes, I do think this story was a little too abstract and I don’t blame you for getting distracted (it definitely happens to me when a story isn’t flowing well). That’s how you can tell I wrote it in a hurry—it’s just filled with flowery descriptions that are nice to read but don’t really get the story moving. My bad, I wasn’t feeling inspired that week 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lani Lane
01:26 Sep 25, 2020

Hi Rayhan! Wow--this was quite beautiful. I love the switch between in parentheses, out of parentheses. That was unique and well done. I enjoyed so many of your descriptions--liquid sadness, bees tumbling against the man’s jaw, etc. Wow. I combed through this looking for something to critique, and either I can't find anything, or I need some time to absorb this. I'm really looking forward to more of your stories! :) Beautiful work.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
06:33 Sep 25, 2020

Thanks for stopping by Leilani! Oh you’re too kind, even I can see things wrong with my story haha

Reply

Lani Lane
12:32 Sep 25, 2020

I’m just too inspired by ‘bees tumbling against the man’s jaw,’ what a cool phrase!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
05:43 Sep 23, 2020

Love the punny title

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
06:16 Sep 23, 2020

Haha thanks, all the titles to my stories are puns 😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jill Davies
05:04 Sep 23, 2020

I love the layers in this story, and (of course) the vivid imagery.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
06:16 Sep 23, 2020

Thanks for stopping by! 😙

Reply

Jill Davies
20:45 Sep 23, 2020

Caught my attention reading comments on A.Ram’s Submission

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
21:12 Sep 23, 2020

Ah yes, she's quite the writer, isn't she?

Reply

Jill Davies
21:21 Sep 23, 2020

Definitely she is. She deserves the credit. Her pieces are always tight and very well put together

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dalyane Deblois
18:10 Sep 22, 2020

Wow, amazing story and the descriptions are so well written. The concept is fantastic, the idea of saving trees is great. Keep writing!:)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
18:22 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks so much for stopping by! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
14:13 Sep 22, 2020

This was great! The dialogue was perfect for brining the reader in, and your narrative about the empire and the land was beautiful.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
14:23 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks so much, glad the dialogue worked for you ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
19:07 Sep 21, 2020

Your descriptions are so poetic and smooth. Beautiful. I love the idea of saving trees. It's unique and a beautiful piece. Keep writing! I await more of your work! ~Adrienne P.S. Would you mind checking out my stories? Thanks! :)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
20:57 Sep 21, 2020

Thanks for the kind words! Saving the trees is probably a pressing matter these days. And yep, I’ll head on over when I get the time! 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.Dot Ram
06:20 Sep 21, 2020

We're both in worlds of vines, fern, and moss this week! Lushly written on your part.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
06:33 Sep 21, 2020

Thanks so much! I’ll have to check yours out now haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
17:19 Sep 20, 2020

The description! The creative juices! Fantasy! Absolutely superb! Like reading a story before TV and social media. Very well done

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
18:30 Sep 20, 2020

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Fantasy is definitely my favorite thing to write so I’m glad that could appeal to you! 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
00:48 Sep 20, 2020

Whoa, this story had that feel to it. I don't really know how to describe it, but like those movies you have to watch again to catch all the juicy details. You wove such an intricate story that just had me sucked in and waiting for everything unravel and the whole time you had me questioning. And your descriptions. Oh. My. God. Like how? It was so vivid and captivating and part of the reason why I was so immersed, and that opening bit of dialogue was so well written. I love all the descriptions of nature, and your title is genius. Also yes...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
05:11 Sep 20, 2020

Hey, thanks so much, I appreciate the appreciation haha. So glad you liked the descriptions, this week was all about setting so I decided to go all out. And the scene break thing, I think that conversation we had changed my mind, I might just start putting weird stuff in my stories like that 😜 And I left a comment, it was a great story as always!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
05:21 Sep 20, 2020

I'm glad I changed your mind! They're so cute. :) You definitely described the setting very well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
20:14 Sep 19, 2020

Woah, this is so vivid and describe it. Idk, but the way you describe the vines is my favorite :) Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
05:12 Sep 20, 2020

Thank you! Yes there seems to be an excess of vines in this story lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jen Park
15:05 Sep 19, 2020

I.....got goosebumps. I'm so glad I read this. The whole story was like a piece of poem. And it was deep and somewhat dark but the darkness was not shown so easily unless I meditate on your words. Beautiful word choices, and some of the sentences were gold. I have to write them down because they're so true. I loved that the whole story shouted out that the King was somewhat powerless and bitter and he had obsession on regaining his power, though you never mentioned directly. That's the skill which I have to learn. I'm on practice. Loved how ...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
16:30 Sep 19, 2020

Oh wow, now you’re just making me feel like a dick for leaving short comments on your stories 😂 I’ll do a thorough review on your next one, that’s a promise! Anyway, THANK YOU, this made my day! It’s so awesome that you picked up on a lot of the subtext. You were spot on on why I only called him “the man,” and never used a name or a title, because there is nothing special about him. Haha I’m glad you liked the ending but that was kind of just a placeholder! I changed it to something (hopefully) better, and I’d love your thoughts on it....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:30 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, Rayhan would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.