128 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult Fantasy

The night had been restless, as expected when one's death is only a few days away. I hadn't been able to get any sleep, so I woke early, just as the sun was creeping up from behind the water. I quickly dressed, pulling on a sweater- wrap that acted somewhat as a blanket, for I was still cold, and walked down the wide hallway to the center, circular room, sitting down on one of the white couches. Everything here was different from home. In Emran, there weren't blinding gold and silver chandeliers, water features streams trickling through every room, even though this kingdom's primary element was fire, as Forane's was earth. 

 

Home... I thought of that word again, sighing. My breathing was uneven. Home. I missed it dearly. The thought that I would never see my family or best friend again finally struck me. I was gone to them. Even if my plan did somewhat work, I was dead. I stared out one of the large glass panes that stretched from the floor to the ceiling, standing up and silently walking over, sitting down on the window seat, and leaning my head back. I didn't care what the Sinistrians thought. Or what anyone thought. I wasn't just a young and naive sixteen- year- old, joining the Dragon Races for the glory of Forane, to bring my kingdom some acknowledgement, for once. I didn't care. Or did I? I didn't. 

 

The sunrise was slow, the ascend towards it's zenith seeming to take hours. I didn't mind. I rather savored it. This might be my last sunrise. 

 

I turned as I heard footsteps. It was Karila. She sat down next to me with a soft smile. "Couldn't sleep?" she asked, and I nodded in agreement, turning back to the window. The water was dyed in hues of violet, bronze, and fiery orange. We were silent as the the dawn broke through the thick mass of cotton clouds, occasionally murmuring and pointing out as winged creatures took flight from the dense forests. 

 

In Emran, I would be sitting with Nepthys or my brother while I watched the sunrise. I wouldn't be sitting in a luxurious room of a palace, but rather outside on one of the flower- dotted hills; and when we went back inside, her mother would be waiting with two, large cups of steaming hot cocoa. I would then want more marshmallows, and both she and Nepthys would remind me that I didn't have to ask. 

 

That was all gone. 

 

"Eriene," I heard her say, and I looked up. The sky was a bright blue. The sunrise was long over. She was standing, and offered me a hand. I took it and stood up, adjusting the collar of my white satin shirt, sighing. Even the clothes here were different. Fancier. Made of richer fabrics. We were in the palace, after all. I hadn't expected any less. But it still made me miss home even more. 

 

A woman walked into the center room from a long, wide staircase that connected to the center of the castle. People carrying measuring tapes and small squares of fabric followed in suit. Oh, no. 

 

The woman's assistants were looking at all of us, even the competitors who had just woken up and shuffled unwillingly towards the center circle of couches, sorting through the textiles and occasionally murmuring to the person next to them, nodding or shaking their heads as they held up the vibrantly colored squares.

 

"You have your first meal with the king and queen, along with some of the nobles." She said, her dark eyes flickering from person to person. "My assistants will make sure that you look...acceptable, for it isn't every day that you dine with royalty." 

 

I could see that Karila was excited. Her gaze was bright, and was unable to keep a smile from creeping up on to her face. I, on the other hand, dreaded dressing up, even if it was for an event such as this. I glanced over at her and she flashed me a grin before I was dragged away by a young woman who lead me into a large, mirrored room full of dresses of all fabrics and shades. I refrained from rolling my eyes, biting my bottom lip instead. 

 

"You must be Eriene." she said with a smile, tying up her wavy blonde hair and sorting through the hangers. I nodded. "My name's Emmeline. Emmie." She seemed nice- hostility didn't radiate off of her sharply as it did for others. Calm waves of joy laced with dread came from her. She held up two dresses, one of them a dark violet that reached the ground with thin straps the crossed in the back. The other one was a pale yellow, and she held it up to me, immediately shaking her head. "You don't say much, do you?" she tried again. 

 

"Apparently not." I replied curtly, and could see her raise a brow in amusement. 

 

"I don't expect you to at a time like this." She said with a shrug, handing me the dark violet dress and turned, gesturing to the dressing room that had previously been behind her. She sat down in the corner chair, fiddling with one of her many bracelets. "Well, go on." And I reluctantly entered, pulling the curtain to the right and staring back at the velvet heap in my hand, taking off my sweater and uncomfortably soft satin shirt before tugging down on the dress as I slipped it on, struggling to fasten the back before reluctantly turning to my reflection. 

 

"I hate it." was the first thing I said, swiftly shoving back the curtain and crossing my arms over my chest. It was a dress that would look gorgeous on any other girl- it hugged my curves perfectly, the thin straps showing off my arms and the dark color complimenting my hair and eyes. 

 

It felt...wrong. It was a beautiful dress, no doubt, but it didn't suit me. It just didn't. Emmeline stood, circling me once before turning back to the stacks, eyes flitting from dress to dress before pulling out a chiffon, knee- length dress that ended in gentle waves with a classic sweetheart neckline and short bell sleeves, all in a pale, sky blue. I took it, running my fingers over the fabric of the skirt, re- entering the dressing room and replacing the violet dress with it.

 

When I walked out Emmeline smiled, and I didn't protest as she brushed my hair until no knots remained, placing a comb with golden flowers in my hair, wincing as the teeth scraped my scalp.

 

I looked at my reflection one more time before she ushered me back to the center room and down the stairwell. I stumbled once; it's difficult to walk in high heels. I entered the large dining room as one of the last, taking my seat in between Alaric and another boy I didn't know. 

 

He wasn't one of the contestants- it was obvious for two reasons. One, he was seated directly next to one of the nobles. Two, the emotion radiating from him was one of superiority. We made eye context for a moment. I didn't look away as I had for the queen the previous day. He raised a brow, but gave me something between a smile and a smirk. I wasn't sure which. "Luke." he said, dark eyes not leaving their mark. "Not Lukas, not Luka, Luke. Heir of the noble Sinistrian house of Castor." He mumbled the last sentence, rolling his eyes as he said it. 

 

I couldn't help but smile. "Eriene Pyrallis of the house Pyrallis." Luke smiled back at me and I felt happier than I had in the past two days. Our budding conversation was interrupted as the food was brought out and I was given a glare from the blonde girl-Everlys. Why? I didn't know. 

 

My question was soon answered as she struck up a conversation with him, and I was left with Karila glancing over at me from a few seats away. I took a bite of a roll, trying not to listen to Everlys and Luke. It was mostly about the competition and how skilled she was with using her Telepathic magic in battle. The conversation took an interesting turn, however, as they started to discuss the dragons. I looked up voices started to raise. 

 

"Yeah, and then they're killed." Luke said through clenched teeth, while Everlys shook her head. 

 

"They're dangerous. Using them in the competition is the only way to keep us safe." 

 

"The only reason why we're threatened is because they're chained down and killed 'for the sake of balance.' We started it first, not them." 

 

"Quiet!" one of the nobles yelled, standing up. "This discussion has ended." She glared at Luke, swiftly walking out and beckoning for him to follow her. She must be his mother. He glanced at me for a brief moment, offering the slightest of smiles before shoving his hands in his pockets and walking out with a sigh. 

 

Had I heard correctly? Had Luke- nobility of this kingdom, Sinistra- said what I had thought he did? 

 

This question plagued me for the rest of the day; after all, there really wasn't anything else to distract myself from the seemingly never ending stream of questions. The day flew by swiftly, the only noteworthy thing being Everlys, again, glaring at me, her emotion sometimes confusion, other times jealousy, but mostly a sharp, piercing anger that I couldn't shake away.

 

Our other two meals were brought up to us, the rest of the time given to freely roam the castle grounds or do a number of what seemed like useless activities. Everyone spent most of their time in the training bay, the Sinistrians and competitors from Alcator seeming eager to show off their fighting skill to the nobles, but I spent the entire time thinking. It might seem like a waste when my death is only a few days away, but it wasn't. I have a proper strategy now. One worthy of a Sinistrian, possibly better. 

 

I quickly changed into the night clothes that had been set out, pulling on my knitted sweater wrap and walking over to the window seat and hugging one of the pillows to my chest, curling up and staring out at the moon which had taken the sun's place in the sky, and sending rays of dancing moonlight over the water. I gazed down at the moon's reflection, then up at the celestial object. This would be one of the last nights that I saw it. 

 

Every night, the moon rises. It doesn't matter whether the day was bright or dreary, whether the sun had reached it's potential or not. Every time, there is moonlight, even if it's obscured by clouds. Even if the sun doesn't shine, the moon does. I know that. And while I do, there is still hope. 

 

 

*****************

 

Shoutout to Litlover who helped me with this short story, let me use his name, and is overall an amazing friend! :)

November 19, 2020 22:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

128 comments

Wow...lovely story Mira! Great job! =)

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:22 Nov 20, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

My pleasure! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:55 Jan 14, 2021

Calm waves of joy laced with dread came from her Loved this sentence. Loved the conversation between Luke and Eriene. The flirt of the friendship stuck well in this conversation. Your characters have a bold but elegant definitive voice which I love and like more. I can see the movie imprint fading away.

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:56 Jan 14, 2021

Thank you!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
17:56 Jan 14, 2021

Thank you!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Beth Connor
20:51 Nov 20, 2020

Great story! I hope to learn what happens next, and look forward to reading more of your writing :-)

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:58 Nov 20, 2020

Thanks for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philia S
15:52 Jun 10, 2021

Hey Mira! I finally got round reading the series fully(Not that you asked, but I like 'em a lot so...yeah :D) And like Wow, I mean this is so good, I'm officially addicted to TDR :)) Great job!!(I hope I'll be able to catch up by today!)

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:54 Jun 10, 2021

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
15:54 Jun 10, 2021

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!! :)

Reply

Philia S
16:11 Jun 10, 2021

:DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
TJ Squared
03:41 Mar 10, 2021

"Every night, the moon rises. It doesn't matter whether the day was bright or dreary, whether the sun had reached it's potential or not. Every time, there is moonlight, even if it's obscured by clouds. Even if the sun doesn't shine, the moon does. I know that. And while I do, there is still hope. " This was awesome! I love stargazing and this just painted a lovely picture :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
12:58 Mar 10, 2021

Thank you!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
12:58 Mar 10, 2021

Thank you!!! :)

Reply

TJ Squared
15:09 Mar 10, 2021

:)) Welcome :))))))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
01:44 Mar 10, 2021

Wow Mira, now I know why they call you the Fantasy Queen XD The names are FANTASTIC, how do you come up with them? Your descriptions and personalities are so well developed, great job! If Luke is Eirene's (maybe) friend, is Eirene based off of you? GREAT JOB! :D ~ Amethyst

Reply

Mira Caplan
01:49 Mar 10, 2021

:DDDDD The names get SO much better. (Like... Nevara Elestren Castor, Everlys Deverell, Elliane Cambry (nee Velessia), and etc.) Thank you!!!!!!! Kinda, lol. All of the characters are loosely based off of me, and all hold some aspect of my personality. I relate to Raya Castor the most, honestly. You'll meet her later. I am very awkward like Alaric, though, and am actually pretty quiet like Eriene. (And snarky like Everlys.)

Reply

01:51 Mar 10, 2021

HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH THEMMMMMMM Np! Yes, me too. oOoOh lAtEr I'm so late at reading this lol

Reply

Mira Caplan
01:55 Mar 10, 2021

Um... I USE NAMEBERRY!!! AND MYTHOLOGY!!! And... my mind? I guess? Like... Trisandra= Tris + Sandra. Trisandra. I wanted it to be something cool, like Tris Prior from Divergent and Cassandra from Greek Mythology, so...yeah. The names ALWAYS have to fit the characters, in my opinion. Like Alaric's name!!! If you look up what it means, it's a clue about... something. (Eheheeeee not telling!)

Reply

01:57 Mar 10, 2021

Nameberry? Well you have a great mind so like- ook I'm gonna search it up >:)

Reply

Mira Caplan
02:00 Mar 10, 2021

233 Fantasy Names List: https://nameberry.com/userlist/view/224720 This one, too: https://nameberry.com/userlist/view/180942 I only really use the top one and use the names I find as inspiration. If you click on a name, 20 others like it appear at the bottom. If you want a name with a similar vibe or feel to one that you found that doesn't quite work, I find that helps A TON.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
02:00 Mar 10, 2021

233 Fantasy Names List: https://nameberry.com/userlist/view/224720 This one, too: https://nameberry.com/userlist/view/180942 I only really use the top one and use the names I find as inspiration. If you click on a name, 20 others like it appear at the bottom. If you want a name with a similar vibe or feel to one that you found that doesn't quite work, I find that helps A TON.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
01:55 Mar 10, 2021

Um... I USE NAMEBERRY!!! AND MYTHOLOGY!!! And... my mind? I guess? Like... Trisandra= Tris + Sandra. Trisandra. I wanted it to be something cool, like Tris Prior from Divergent and Cassandra from Greek Mythology, so...yeah. The names ALWAYS have to fit the characters, in my opinion. Like Alaric's name!!! If you look up what it means, it's a clue about... something. (Eheheeeee not telling!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
01:49 Mar 10, 2021

:DDDDD The names get SO much better. (Like... Nevara Elestren Castor, Everlys Deverell, Elliane Cambry (nee Velessia), and etc.) Thank you!!!!!!! Kinda, lol. All of the characters are loosely based off of me, and all hold some aspect of my personality. I relate to Raya Castor the most, honestly. You'll meet her later. I am very awkward like Alaric, though, and am actually pretty quiet like Eriene. (And snarky like Everlys.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
GRACE LARSON
20:34 Nov 24, 2020

Wonderful sequel to parts 1 and 2! Loved the development with Luke - can't wait to see what his role will be in the next part!

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:14 Nov 24, 2020

Thanks for reading! Part 3 is actually in Alaric's perspective, so you'll get to see a different view of both Luke and Eriene. It'll be out by the end of the week! :)

Reply

GRACE LARSON
21:52 Nov 24, 2020

Awesome! Can't wait to read it:)

Reply

Mira Caplan
01:41 Nov 28, 2020

Hi! Part 4 is out, in case you didn't see it. Luke isn't mentioned, so I apologize about that. Eriene, however, is.

Reply

GRACE LARSON
14:24 Nov 29, 2020

Hey! I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now, but I will go take a look at part 4 right now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K. M. Carpenter
15:11 Nov 23, 2020

I was looking forward to Part 3 and you didn't disappoint! Fantastic job with the descriptions. I enjoyed the introduction of the new characters, as well. You're constructing an intriguing story, and I'm eagerly awaiting Part 4!

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:13 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you so much! Part 4 will (most likely) be out by the end of this week!

Reply

K. M. Carpenter
15:15 Nov 23, 2020

I can't wait to see what happens next!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I like the flow of this story. As a writer, I'm truly stumped with words to explain how much I love these characters.

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:46 Nov 20, 2020

Thank you!!! That means a lot! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
03:36 Jan 09, 2021

Oh? Is this a potential ally I see?

Reply

Mira Caplan
03:38 Jan 09, 2021

Yessss!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
03:38 Jan 09, 2021

Yessss!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Aiden Chu
09:32 Jan 08, 2021

AMAZING

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
23:20 Nov 22, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
23:07 Nov 19, 2020

Hey Mira Post tons of stuff on this so I can upvote.

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:08 Nov 19, 2020

Hi

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:08 Nov 19, 2020

I'ma call you Luke Castor now

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:08 Nov 19, 2020

Or just "Sir Luke"

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:08 Nov 19, 2020

Or whatever the heck it is

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:08 Nov 19, 2020

You are nobility now

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
22:42 Nov 19, 2020

OH MY GODDDDDDD YAYAYAYATAYAYYAYTAYAYATTATATATATASHDHRJEIDHNDEJJWJEEHJEHA!!!!!!!!!!! I love my character and you can see in the beginning that your pace is improving a lot. Your descriptive language and empathizeable character made it amazing. However, you did make a few spelling errors probably from typing errors, so look through it again. This checked all the boxes and even though you say I’m a better writer this was on par with a story of mine any day

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:46 Nov 19, 2020

AAAAAAAAHHHH those are typos. Your character is AMAXING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's nobility, really cool, and really nice. Or is he...? He is. And THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
22:50 Nov 19, 2020

Lol I hope he’s nice

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:53 Nov 19, 2020

He is. That's what I'm planning so far, but it might change depending on the prompts. I'm basing him off of you, obviously, so he talks a lot and is really funny.

Reply

. .
22:53 Nov 19, 2020

Awwwwww thanks lol I’m not that funny

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:55 Nov 19, 2020

You ARE! It's really relatable humor, which is part of what makes it funny. He just seems kinda quiet now because he's trying to understand why the heck Eriene's there, especially cuz she wasn't chosen. Word travels fast.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:53 Nov 19, 2020

I didn't actually see that many spelling errors, and fixed the ones I saw, so could you point em out, please?

Reply

. .
22:56 Nov 19, 2020

U misspelled Sinistra

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:36 Nov 19, 2020

I really don't have a lot to say about this story and my type of critique wouldn't be that good, though I will say that the story was just as great as the other parts and all your other stories ^^ I'm a bit excited to see your other stories that you'll make a bit later, though ill give this story a 10/10 :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:37 Nov 19, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

B. W.
22:50 Nov 19, 2020

no prob ^^ what did ya think about the prompts?

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:52 Nov 19, 2020

I liked them!

Reply

B. W.
22:53 Nov 19, 2020

Do ya think your gonna make another story if the new prompts are good?

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:54 Nov 19, 2020

Yep. Part4

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.