Meeting of the Next Galaxy

Submitted into Contest #243 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of a non-human character.... view prompt

1 comment

Science Fiction

Every 365 days in human terms, a group of Martians called “The Predictors” meet together for a Meeting of the Next Galaxy. They meet in a large space vessel that has just completed a tour of the solar system. 

If someone were able to observe the meeting, they would see that the group of Martians are light gray, relatively small in height, and oval shaped. Their arms and legs are the same length. The have an oversized head to hold a large brain, and their large eyes and antennae provide enhanced senses of sight and sound. 

They would also see a speaker who appears projected onto a large monitor above the group of Predictors gathered in the control room, but there is no sound. The Martians communicate through mindreading. 

At this year’s meeting, the lead Predictor addresses the audience through mindreading:

“Fellow Predictors, we meet together for this Meeting of the Next Galaxy to discuss our future as it relates to the humans. 

For a long period of time, we have observed them. It has taken a long time, but they are beginning to catch up to us. The computers they use are becoming more and more sophisticated, they have shifted their reliance for energy towards solar energy and other alternatives, they have successfully implemented services in the cloud, they have been experimenting with bioengineering, and developing strategies to address atmospheric conditions. 

They have an advanced space program that has launched rockets to the moon and satellites to better understand life in space. They are conducting experiments in space. They have also been launching satellites to locate and observe us, and it is only a matter of time before they try and land on our planet. If this were to happen, it could destroy the species. We know from the soil samples we have collected from our visits to Earth that we would not be able to withstand the carbon dioxide they emit. 

The lead Predictor continues, “We need to develop a mutant gene that could absorb the carbon dioxide. If we are successful, a new genetic combination will develop to help us continue to exist on the planet if we ever come into contact with contamination from these types of foreign substances. Does anyone have any ideas?”

One of the Martians raises a hand. The Martians mindread the suggestion, “I have been studying the composition of several substances including carbon dioxide and I think I have discovered a formula that could be developed.”

The lead Predictor responds silently as the other Martians mindread the response, “Let’s see it.”

The Martians leave the vessel and quickly board onto flying saucers that float in the atmosphere and provide them the ability to move from one place on the planet to another. They fly to The Martian Space Lab where the Martian works. They go inside and gather into a laboratory. The Martian steps in front of a large sophisticated incubator and thinks the command “Please provide formula X”. The incubator makes a series of beeps and a beaker filled with a clear liquid is dispensed.

The incubator has been designed to hold samples of every chemical compound and is used to develop formulas that are used in a variety of scientific experiments. The Martian simply has to think the command, and the incubator will dispense the chemical compound.  

The Martian explains the chemical formula that has been used to develop the formula by thinking it to the other Martians who mindread the Martian to understand it.   

One of the other Martians silently communicates, “You need to add another oxygen atom”.

The Martian thinks the command to the incubator, “Please provide an oxygen atom”. After a series of beeps, the incubator dispenses a test tube filled with a clear liquid.

The Martian pours the contents of the test tube into the beaker, and dips a test strip into the mixture. The test strip is then placed onto a fluorescent glass plate and the new formula is projected onto the monitors located at the front of the laboratory.

The lead Predictor silently communicates to the Martian, “What do you think? Have we developed a mutant gene?”

The Martian silently responds, “We need to test it. Before we release it, we should first test it on a neighboring planet.”

The lead Predictor silently communicates, “I would like you to lead an expedition to a neighboring planet and conduct a series of experiments to test the formula. Once the mutant gene is released into the atmosphere, we need to test its impact on biological life. If the atmosphere is able to absorb the mutant gene and new life develops, we should be able to release it on our planet.”

Another Martian silently intervenes, “We do not need go to a neighboring planet. I have a simulator that could simulate the impact of the formula. I will go get it.”

The Martian boards a flying saucer and a journey that would take several hours in human terms occurs instantaneously. The Martian goes to a lab to pick up the simulator and returns to the laboratory where the other Martians are waiting.

The Martian plugs in the formula and after a few moments, the simulator projects the following output onto the monitors located at the front of the laboratory:

Y = CO2 Resistant

The lead Predictor silently communicates, “Great work. It looks like we have developed a mutant gene.” Let’s re-board the vessel and complete our observatory work.”

The Martians re-board the vessel and land on a few planets to collect samples before returning to their planet. They collect the samples in order to study whether or not they could live on other planets.

Once they return to their planet, they launch a series of experiments that involve releasing the mutant gene into the atmosphere. If successful, they will develop immunity to foreign substances such as carbon dioxide and would be able to survive an encounter with a human being if they land on their planet. But, only time will tell.

In the meantime, the Martians continue to observe the humans often puzzled by their behavior and reliance on rudimentary machinery as humans are still in the preliminary stages of understanding and adopting aspects available in outer space. 

March 24, 2024 09:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kristi Gott
01:50 Mar 25, 2024

Very immersive! The vivid imagery and descriptions paired with science make this come alive. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.