558 comments

Creative Nonfiction

Hi guys,


I only joined Reedsy around 4 months ago. I have been embroiled in some really crazy politics here, and I just wanted to share my opinions on some topics. First off, upvoting. Upvoting insane amounts is not good for the site, as it makes people more paranoid about their points and more willing to beg for points rather than earning them through writing. Critiques, on the other hand, are like teaching a man to fish rather than giving him a fish. Upvotes can be doled out in small amounts, and a strong sense of community should be the binding force, not a sense of protection of points. Let me make myself clear: REEDSY. IS. A. WRITING. CONTEST. Not a point contest (Zilla would totally win XD) but a contest based on good writing. It is not right to have a ton of points but very little stories and, even then, stories of questionable quality. We need to maintain the purpose of the site and stop worrying about the points. If anyone needs critiques, I'm here. Secondly, about the Marshmallows. I was one of the founders and people have come to think of them as role models and helpers of the community. However, there are other ways to do this. People argue that Marshmallows are good for people. There are other ways to make people happy, and there are certainly better ways to include someone in the community. Felicity Williams, one of my most devoted followers at the beginning of my account, did not make me happy through upvotes, but by being positive, complimenting, and giving helpful critiques. By being HELPFUL and INCLUSIVE, we can gain a better community and better collective happiness. If upvoting is your way of doing that, then you can continue. However, we are no longer an upvoting group. We are a group that makes a community and love. Lastly, the Age issue. If you are on Reedsy and are less than 18, I believe that is permitted by the rules and by my standards. However, do not expect to, even if your writing is über-awesome-amazing, win a contest. I hope you all understand that what I'm saying isn't to shut anyone down but to redirect you, to show you a better way. If you want to continue to upvote habitually, that's fine with me, I won't call you out. I'm not a cancel-culturer. However, I do implore you to see reason. Felicity Williams, an author no longer active on here, is the paragon of what I am saying. She gave me inspiration and love as a fledgling author and she complimented me. Just having her pay attention to my stories made me want to be her friend. Take her as an example. I would like to label this new idea of how to create a sense of community as inspired by Felicity Williams. Please take her example and take my and Upvoter's example. This is a consensus between me, Upvoter, and an unknown person on the leaderboard who has created the alt account of Prove me Wrong. Be a Felicity.


I love you all and wish you the best health (physical and mental) and happy writing,

Luke.


P.S. Think about what I have said

January 15, 2021 00:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

558 comments

14:07 Jan 15, 2021

I don't know how to respond to this... It all makes sense, but... I just don't know... Kudos to you for voicing your opinion like this, though... :| Your friend, Craycray

Reply

. .
14:07 Jan 15, 2021

Thanks, Brooke!! *cries because Brooke doesn't know* *smiles bc craycray so sweet*

Reply

14:09 Jan 15, 2021

You're welcome, Luke.

Reply

. .
14:09 Jan 15, 2021

:DDDDDDDDD *cries because Brooke didn't continue the asterisks*

Reply

14:13 Jan 15, 2021

*smiles sadly because of all of the politics on Reedsy and because Litlover cried* *tears slowly roll down face because of all of this*

Reply

. .
14:17 Jan 15, 2021

*cries because I have to mediate all of this* *smiles bc Brooke is so nice*

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
13:45 Jan 15, 2021

Well said, Luke. I think you did a wonderful job writing this to clear the air, something that a comment wouldn't quite justify.

Reply

. .
13:47 Jan 15, 2021

Yeah, my comments weren't really doing the trick. Thanks a ton, Nainika :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:49 Jan 15, 2021

:) That being said, I hope we can TRULY change the community for the better :D you're such a great frein!!!

Reply

. .
13:50 Jan 15, 2021

:DDDDDDDDD I love how Celeste popularized the frien XD

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:51 Jan 15, 2021

XDXD easier to write AND easier to remember XDXDXD are you gonna write a another Malfice soooonnnnnnnn??

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:52 Jan 15, 2021

I gotta wait until the next prompts to continue GoL :((((( WHICH SHOULD BE SOOON THOUGH

Reply

Show 1 reply
. .
13:52 Jan 15, 2021

YAS I WILLLLLLLL

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:03 Jan 15, 2021

Yess! Be a Felicity! I personally think your an amazing writer. AND you submit about 5000 stories a day lol, plus your magnetic personality which has caused you to be friend a lot of people on this website...would have gotten you to the leader board in time anyways. So don't feel to bad about being in the leaderboard, you have 28 stories which is more than me AND you started in September, you deserve to be there as much as anyone and so does Aerin and Amany and everyone else. This was something I was also worried about when the Marshmellows...

Reply

. .
01:10 Jan 15, 2021

Felicity is just so much like what we're saying its scary. Yeah I post so much XDDDDD Thanks so much!! I do write a ton, and I think that's super sweet of you to say. I'm happy we're realizing these things too, and I'm glad we have your blessing =D Thanks so much, you make me smile!!

Reply

06:48 Jan 15, 2021

Yeahh! Of course!! Ohh and I meant to say this earlier but two days ago you said you don't think we are that close- the day you got on the leaderboard! Well, I don't agree, I think we are close in our own little way haha! And I always got youu if you need anything. Have a great day or night!!

Reply

. .
13:36 Jan 15, 2021

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww samesies, snow!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Oh no Luke... I am so sorry about your emotional state. I do hope you get better! =( Your friend and Reedsy follower, Haripriya/Laila Lavender

Reply

Show 0 replies
Regan Boden
09:39 Jan 15, 2021

I, as a newbie to Reedsy, resonate with this so much. If you are keen to give critique to my stories, please do. I wrote my first ever short story last week ago and am so keen to keep learning. Will be writing at least twice per month (or at least I aim to)!

Reply

. .
13:25 Jan 15, 2021

I would love to read your stories!! Critiques are the best thing I can give.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
01:53 Jan 15, 2021

Hey, fun quiz! I just did it. One of my favorites, though I recommend adding a way where the quiz taker can put in their name.

Reply

. .
01:53 Jan 15, 2021

Yeah, that would probably make it a lot more easy for me too XD You really liked it?

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
01:59 Jan 15, 2021

I seriously did. It made me think. One question was way hard though. I spent five minutes thinking about the "which series encompasses you as a person"!

Reply

. .
02:20 Jan 15, 2021

XD Yeah, I thought that was a good one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
XANDER DMER
13:55 Jan 21, 2021

Interesting... Nice Story! Guys Check Me Out - https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/xander-dmer/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
12:39 Jan 17, 2021

I love and respect your opinion. You are right. But I will show you the mean side of groupism and whatnot. You, Naninka, Varsha, Jeannie, kate and many others are really good. If you ask them they will give you honest feedback. If you give feedback on their stories they will appreciate it and in return give feedback to my stories. But your dearest friend. Mira. Yeah her. I hate series on reedsy and I even don't read it. But I accidentally stumbled in their chats where I felt Mira was sad. So, as a writer, I felt that I should read her storie...

Reply

Maya W.
19:25 Jan 17, 2021

Radhika. I mentioned this in my original comment on the Oasis message, and you never responded, though you did respond to Ugochi's comment telling you to read mine. I understand that you are trying to spread positivity on this site, but this is not the way to do it. Complaining about other authors behind their backs is just wrong, in my opinion, especially on a site where you know they can read it. I enjoy your writing, so I will continue to read and give you honest feedback, as I hope you will do for me, but this is just not the right thing...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:40 Jan 18, 2021

It's your opinion, Maya. But sometimes even I have feelings. If someone had read your 10- 11 stories and is asking for your opinion, you cant give one. Are you so high profile? Coming to reedsy here we are given a prompt to write a unique story. If you want to write a series based on movies you have Wattpad. And I am not talking behind anyone's back. I have said this to Mira as well. And it's an open site so I knew she is going to read it anyway. And my complaint as a reason. so I will continue to read and give you honest feedback, as I hop...

Reply

Maya W.
02:53 Jan 18, 2021

I'm trying to be as respectful as possible here, but I think that Reedsy is just as much about helping amateur authors grow as writers as much as it is a writing contest. I try to read all of the stories people request me to read, but even I have stuff going on in my life. I do read the shortlisted and winning entries, as I try to learn from them, but I'm more concerned with helping other authors grow and improving my own writing. People aren't always going to read your stories. That's just the truth. People have things going on in their liv...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:33 Jan 18, 2021

If I have read you 10-11 stories and asked you several times. All you do is like it and go away. It's the behavior of Mira. She has time for others, she can chat in the comment section but she can't give me one comment. Maya, It's logic ok. You are dragging it unnecessary. I have not asked about you. I know people are busy. But if I am especially sidelined, then here comes the problem. After opening oasis many writers applauded me for my move. You know the reason? I can show you writers who are here for a year or so but have not gotten tha...

Reply

Maya W.
15:58 Jan 18, 2021

I really don't want to get into a big argument here, so let's just agree to disagree, And thank you!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
03:41 Jan 18, 2021

By the way, saw your insta. You look pretty

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
18:28 Jan 22, 2021

I understand if you feel the upvoting/ downvoting is unfair, or if you would like to get more feedback on your stories, but this isn't helping anybody. Putting down other authors isn't going to raise you higher, all it's doing is taking away from the point of the site and adding to the drama and disagreements. You have a right to your own opinion, but complaining about other author's hard work without saying it in a constructive way is not at all productive. If Mira wasn't able to give you feedback in return that doesn't mean she wronged you...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:51 Jan 22, 2021

See you are missing the point. I just said that I gave her honest comments. I did not give her expecting she would do in return. But sometimes you need other people's help. Sometimes you also like someone giving you honest feedback. I was so bad at the beginning but now I have improved. Because of the support you all give me. It's just that sometimes you ask someone just for fun. You see 500 comments on their stories, you talk to them. And I personally said her about her stories on her stories. When I got upset I deleted all my comments from...

Reply

Maya -
18:56 Jan 22, 2021

You say you gave her feedback without expecting anything in return, then you say you were upset when she didn't comment on you stories in return. I feel like you should take a step back and try to see the situation from an objective perspective. Also, just because people frequently leave comments on each other's stories doesn't mean they're like a gang. It just means they enjoy reading each other's writing. I would be happy to give feedback on your stories if you would only ask for it in a kind way. No one on here is ever going to be sati...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:59 Jan 22, 2021

I got upset when I asked her opinion on one story and I asked her frequently. I used to ask her this. "Submitted a new story would love your feedback" she never responded. I gave every time she asked. In your heart you may get a tinge of feeling she will respond and she didn't and I got upset. And should I get upset?

Reply

Maya -
19:03 Jan 22, 2021

I can understand if you would be disappointed if she didn't respond, but you're speaking about it like it was intentional and meant to hurt you. You don't know why she didn't respond, so you shouldn't assume the worst. If you really want to know what happened, you could kindly ask her instead of saying something that will only cause more problems in return.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Nainika Gupta
23:38 Jan 15, 2021

hey hey hey read my *updated* bio :D:D:D:D

Reply

. .
23:40 Jan 15, 2021

heeeheeheehee

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:41 Jan 15, 2021

:D:D:D:D:D

Reply

. .
23:42 Jan 15, 2021

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
18:34 Jan 15, 2021

#IMMAMARSHMELLOW!!!!!! I totally agree! This was great and important! Amazing, once again (even though its not a story) -Cass

Reply

. .
19:00 Jan 15, 2021

AWWWWW THANK YOU!!!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
19:04 Jan 15, 2021

OF COURSE!!!!!!!! BTW thanks for liking my new story! I really appreciate it!!!!!! your friend, -Cinnamon P.S- my name (Cassia) means cinnamon. I just found that out! XD

Reply

. .
19:06 Jan 15, 2021

No problem!! Ooh, that's cool!! Luke isn't a cool name :(

Reply

Jexica Marcell
19:08 Jan 15, 2021

LOL. It's cooler than mine XD I always thought my name was just a bunch or random letters put together, like in "The Chronicles of "I DON'T UNDERSTAND" where his name is Triw XD Im so glad my name isn't Triw...

Reply

. .
19:10 Jan 15, 2021

No it isn'tttttttttt. XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
01:12 Jan 16, 2021

Lol, the chef/name nerd has entered the chat. Cassia is a type of cinnamon also called Chinese cinnamon, or the name of the plant that cinnamon comes from. I think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riddhi Shedge
00:42 Jan 15, 2021

Thank you so much for helping to make Reedsy a happier and healthier place, Luke!! You've been really supportive to me and all the writers here. I wish you an engaging and wonderful journey here on Reedsy. Happy writing!!

Reply

. .
00:45 Jan 15, 2021

Thanks so much, Riddhi. You have been a kind soul and I think that you, me, and the person who made proveme wrong can be described as in consensus. I am grateful to you for agreeing.

Reply

Riddhi Shedge
00:46 Jan 15, 2021

Of course, Luke. I'm just a bit worried because it looks like Aerin isn't too happy about our opinion. I hope she understands...

Reply

. .
00:48 Jan 15, 2021

I know... I'm trying to explain it to her. In a sense, I don't know if you've read Atlas Shrugged, but I feel like there are a lot of connections. Also, Felicity Williams is the archetype for the new Reeder we are trying to advocate for, because she already used all of these ideas in her Reedsy life. I feel like we should pay homage to that.

Reply

Riddhi Shedge
01:02 Jan 15, 2021

I agree. I just feel bad because I didn't want my opinion to affect others in bad ways. I hope Aerin doesn't feel like everyone is against her or anything. It was never my intention to make anyone feel that way. I just wanted to spread my opinion and see if people agreed with it...

Reply

. .
01:08 Jan 15, 2021

Yeah, I mean we're agreeing with her that we need to spread community. In a sense, I'm Dagny Taggart XD Yeah, me neither.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:08 Mar 02, 2021

I agree. Felicity is so cool. Yeah, points aren't everything. I didn't know what they were for a few weeks LOL.

Reply

. .
23:52 Mar 02, 2021

I agreeeeee agree!!!!

Reply

10:56 Mar 03, 2021

YAAAS!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AntMan 🐜
14:39 Feb 23, 2021

Hi Luke! I've read a lot of stories, and I try to give my honest feedback, and I completely agree with this. I know this is a problem, and some people have differing opinions. I am one of those people who stands in the middle of a fight and says, "Please, can we just get along?" For those people out there who have strong opinions, you can have them and voice them, but we are all right and wrong sometimes. I am a newbie, but I joined Reedsy because I liked writing, but after I joined, I began to love it more. I started writing a book and subm...

Reply

. .
14:44 Feb 23, 2021

I totally agree!!!! Ooh, Frank and Hazel, interesting...

Reply

AntMan 🐜
14:46 Feb 23, 2021

😀I'm just a little bit obsessed with PJO, sorry 😆

Reply

. .
14:48 Feb 23, 2021

XD I thought you were Katelyn Howell from the Marvel thing and your bio...

Reply

AntMan 🐜
14:49 Feb 23, 2021

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
AntMan 🐜
14:49 Feb 23, 2021

No, I'm Katelyn K.... I should probably change that 🤣

Reply

. .
14:52 Feb 23, 2021

I larb the name tho!!! Paul Rudd's amazing.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
AntMan 🐜
14:48 Feb 23, 2021

Also, sorry if my statement was too long, I'm not that great at making a point or writing, unless its fiction

Reply

. .
14:52 Feb 23, 2021

Nah it was fine!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
01:01 Jan 27, 2021

Oh my goodness I just read this! This is so sweet and we all need to learn to be kind. <3 You're spreading a beautiful message. :)

Reply

. .
01:01 Jan 27, 2021

That's so sweet coming from youuuu *bows*

Reply

Felicity Anne
01:02 Jan 27, 2021

:)

Reply

. .
01:02 Jan 27, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
18:24 Jan 24, 2021

Geez, I was just noticing that it seemed to upset Luke and frankly me, as I used to have a good friend people would always claim I liked.

Reply

. .
18:26 Jan 24, 2021

Yeah, its annoying, but I just feel strongly about peeps I care about :)

Reply

Maya W.
18:27 Jan 24, 2021

Exactly.

Reply

. .
18:28 Jan 24, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
16:52 Jan 23, 2021

hey Luke someone is saying that you are harassing his gf? What's going on? It seems sensitive.

Reply

. .
18:17 Jan 23, 2021

I have honestly no idea.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
19:02 Jan 22, 2021

Look even if I felt that she should have given me feedbacks what's wrong with that. I commented on her 12 stories. I felt she could have given me one when she is giving it to everybody. It's basic human nature what's wrong with that. Don't I have the right to tell my feelings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dorsa S.
13:53 Jan 22, 2021

your message really should speak volumes to everyone; happiness is not made by digital points on a writing contest. i bet Felicity was an amazing person who brightened up everyone's day on reedsy, aside from the points and things. we should all be a Felicity on our time here! :) it'll surely make this online community somewhere to be in, rather than pulling down each other aimlessly with downvotes. *ahem whoever that downvoter is ahem* if you could, i'd like some critiques on my stories. one story is enough; i just need to clear up somethi...

Reply

. .
13:54 Jan 22, 2021

Thank you so much, Dorsa! Felicity was a really nice person, arguably one of the sweetest, and I'm glad you feel that way. Of course I'll check out your story!!

Reply

Dorsa S.
13:59 Jan 22, 2021

thank you so much, and she does sound like a sweet person, truly.

Reply

. .
13:59 Jan 22, 2021

:D I critiqued one of your stories

Reply

Dorsa S.
14:03 Jan 22, 2021

ahh, i saw that. thank you, i wanted some critique on my stories for a while now, since i didn't like how it sounded and needed an outside perspective to look at it. :D

Reply

. .
14:06 Jan 22, 2021

Yeah, that can be tough. I find reading some AMAXING authors makes it easier to emulate the things they're great at. I'd recommend Dostoyevsky and maybe some George Orwell.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
13:32 Jan 22, 2021

Heyyyyy Are you doing alright, you know, since you were taking some time off? Just checking. :)

Reply

. .
13:39 Jan 22, 2021

Yeah, I'm doing fine!! School's just annoying :( but I'm totally find :) So sweet of you to ask

Reply

Maya -
13:44 Jan 22, 2021

I'm glad! Yeah, school's annoying. :/ Of course, friend. :D

Reply

. .
13:44 Jan 22, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Maya -
13:45 Jan 22, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

. .
13:51 Jan 22, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
18:04 Jan 21, 2021

Hi Luke! So I read this a few days or weeks ago (can't remember) and was wondering if you could read my story "PEACE Tea and LOVE" because its basically the same as this story. You inspire me!!! (I added some thank you's in there to all my followers and everyone, including you) Your friend, Cass

Reply

. .
18:43 Jan 21, 2021

Ofc!! I will def read it when I have the time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.