143 comments

Romance

Elaine

Oh, God. Oh god. Why did I agree to this again? Cause you’re lonely and you have no life, so why not take any chance you can get to be in a relationship? Thank you, super supportive voice in my head. 

But why the movies. I mean, of all places. The movies are super romantic. Don’t you want it to be romantic? It’s a date for goodness sake. No. I really hope it isn’t a romantic movie. I will kill Willow. Oh, but scary movies are even worse. Then it’ll be like a whole vendetta against myself when it gets scary to hold his hand super tight. Or worse, put my head in his chest. Good old comedy will work just fine. But knowing Willow, it’s at least a drama.

What do I even wear? I don’t want to look like I’m trying too hard. Then again, first impressions are always important. I settle on a cute sweater with some tights and put my dirty blonde hair up in a messy bun. I check my phone and walk out to my car, making my way to Willow’s house.

***

 Once I’ve arrived a take a deep breath and walk out of the car to see Willow standing with a guy. 

My heart drops because it’s him.

We’ve been called a “cute couple” by random people for as long as I can remember. We’re best friends. He’s already my other half non romantically. How can I go on a date with him? I cross my arms as I near Willow. I glare at her with a look that says “you-are-so-dead-when-this-is-over-I'm-killing-you” She smiles back her toothy grin and pulls out her phone.

“Elaine. You’re one minute late! You guys’ll miss the movie if you don’t start walking now.

Walking?” Jacob says. Willow laughs and snatches the keys from my hand, running off towards my car.

“What the-You know, this doesn’t count as a blind date cause we know each other!” I yell after her, but she’s already driving away. The cold air blows past us and I shiver, pulling my arms around myself. Well, this is awkward.

“We better, um, start walking,” Jacob says, his green eyes not even close to contact with mine. I nod and we start shuffling our feet, making sure not to graze elbows. This is super weird. Why? We’re hugging friends. I think he carried me on his shoulders once. And now, here we are acting as we might as well be strangers. 

He elbows me. “Stop”

I elbow him back. “Stop what?” This is good. This is great. I can feel the awkward-o-meter slowly falling. Who cares if this is a so-called “date”? We can do things like we always do, like the best friends we-

“Stop playing with your bracelet. You don’t have to be nervous.” I let my hands that were indeed playing with my bracelet fall to my sides. This is why you’re not supposed to know the person you’re with on a blind date. They’re not supposed to know your nervous habits!

We finally reach the theater after a little more, slightly less awkward silence. Our tickets were bought electronically, so we just go to the desk to say our names.

“First Name-Elaine. Last Name-Flores.” I say. It’s under my name.

“Ah, yes, right here, Elaine and Jacob, correct? Great, you’ll be in theater number 5.” We walk towards the place they’re selling snacks first. We buy a large tub of buttered popcorn and go to the soda section.

I’m holding the popcorn off to the side and watching Jacob fail miserably at operating the machine. I can’t help but laugh. 

“What? This is-this is practically impossible," he sputters. I laugh again and shove the popcorn at him, easily pouring out our two cups of soda. He mutters something under his breath as we walk towards our theater number 5. Next to the door, I see a big poster for what looks like a horror movie. Great. Wonderful. Willow’s dead. We sit in the middle and settle ourselves into our chairs. We’re sort of early, so the lights in the theater are still on. I awkwardly eat some popcorn. 

So. This is going to be amazing. It’s a horror movie. There’s only one arm thing on the chair. WILLOW IS SOOOO DEAD. 

“Sooooo, this is awkward…”

“Yeah. I am so killing Willow after this.”

“Why? You always said I’d be a great boyfriend.” Jacob says, smirking.

“Wha-”

“Look, Elly, I didn’t have anything to do with this and I didn’t know you’d be here today. But I do know that if I have to sit awkwardly though a movie date with someone, I’m glad it’s you.” I feel heat rise to my cheeks as the theater lights turn off. Thank God. 

***

We’re about halfway through the movie. No super scary parts yet. I look over to Jacob. He’s been pretty quiet-He’s sleeping. He’s been staying up pretty late, so it’s not a surprise.

I gotta admit, he looks pretty peaceful. He’s not even drooling or anything. How does he look so perfect?!

I look back to the screen to see...clowns. About three of em. I knew a scary part would come on eventually. I’m terrified of clowns. Don’t ask. I shut my eyes tight and grip the arm of the chair. Shoot, I forgot there’s only one. I had to put my hand at the exact same place that Jacob’s hand is. I grip his hand instead of the chair. At least he’s sleeping. 

I peek and see that the clowns aren’t on the screen anymore. I fully open my eyes and look down at my hand, intertwined with Jacob’s. I then look up at his sleeping face. 

Do we really look like that cute of a couple?

I think I’ll just keep my hand where it is. Wouldn’t want to wake him, after all.

***

The movie’s over. The lights turn on. I feel a squeeze at my hand still holding Jacob’s.

I look up at his face to see him smile. I feel myself blush, but I don’t let go of his hand. We stand up, brushing popcorn off ourselves, still not letting go. Hand in hand, we walk out of the theater. 

“Oh, oh my gosh, you guys are such a cute couple.” a girl we pass by says. I look into Jacob’s big green eyes.

“W-”

“Thanks.” I cut him off. We walk by the park and sit on the swings. Here, our hands drop. I pull my arms around myself. I’m not self-conscious though, it’s getting cold. I look up at the moving trees.

 Seconds later, a big jacket is draped across my shoulders.“You looked cold.”

I smile and stand up, pulling it tighter around myself. “We should walk home now.” He nods. I get up from the swing and we start walking.

“I thought you hated it when people call us a cute couple.”

“Shut up and hold my hand.” He does, and we stay like that, forever and always.

Jacob

Blind dates are the worst. Why the heck did I let Willow drag me into this? I cannot sit through a movie with some random girl. I wonder what movie it is. I look outside, surveying the weather. 

It looks sorta windy. I don’t mind the cold, but I put on a big jacket in case she gets cold. Whoever she is. I check my hair and walk outside, going to Willow who’s standing right in front of her house, grinning from ear to ear. We’re neighbors, so I left just at 8 o clock when she told me to be ready. 

“Jacob! You’re just on time. Hold on, the girl is driving here, she should be here any-Oh, there she is!” a small white car pulls into the driveway. Hey, I sorta recognize that car...It’s probably a coincidence.

A pretty girl walks out, and when she turns her face towards us I nearly gasp. It’s my best friend. I can’t do this! It’s supposed to be a random girl, not a girl I’ve literally held on my shoulders, gotten detention with, and passed notes in class with!

“Elaine. You’re one minute late! You guys’ll miss the movie if you don’t start walking now.” Willow says, ignoring Elaine’s death glare.

Walking?” I say, surprised. The girl, who I now know is Elaine, was supposed to drive both of us to the movies. But Willow laughs, snatching the keys from Elaine and running off to the car. 

 “What the-You know, this doesn’t count as a blind date cause we know each other!” she yells, but Willow is long gone. A gust of wind blows past us, and Elaine shivers. I’m about to give her my jacket but stop myself. That’s way too much of a romantic gesture. 

“We better, um, start walking,” I say, avoiding eye contact. This is so awkward. We start walking, slightly separated, when I notice she’s playing with her bracelet. I slightly smile. Looks like I’m not the only nervous one. 

I elbow her. “Stop” 

She elbows me back.“Stop what?”

“Stop playing with your bracelet. You don’t have to be nervous.” I say. She blushes and turns away, dropping her hands to her sides. Shoot, did I upset her? I mean, she’s my best friend, in a non-romantic way, I don’t want to hurt her feelings!

We finally reach the theater and go up to the desk.

“First Name-Elaine. Last Name-Flores,” she says. We ordered the tickets online. Well, Willow did. 

“Ah, yes, right here, Elaine and Jacob, correct? Great, you’ll be in theater number 5.” We walk over to the snack section and order a large tub of popcorn. Elaine holds it as I try to pour us soda. 

It’s not working! Ugh! Elaine laughs.

“What? This is-this is practically impossible.” I stutter out, embarrassed. At least it’s just Elaine...Just Elaine. Her laugh is pretty, I guess I accomplished that. She gives me the popcorn and easily pours the soda. “I swear it was broken…” I mutter as we look for Theater 5. 

We find it. It’s playing some horror movie. Well, at least it isn’t Romance. 

We go inside to the theater, finding our seats. The lights are still on. 

“Sooooo, this is awkward…” 

“Yeah. I am so killing Willow after this,” she says. I think of something witty to say back.

“Why? You always said I’d be a great boyfriend.” I say, smirking. She really does say that, oddly enough.

“Wha-”

“Look, Elly, I didn’t have anything to do with this and I didn’t know you’d be here today. But I do know that if I have to sit awkwardly though a movie date with someone, I’m glad it’s you.” I finally say. The lights dim and the movie starts. 

***

I feel someone squeeze my hand. I open my eyes slightly. Shoot! I fell asleep! I look slightly to the left to see Elaine with her eyes shut tight., and to the screen where there are clowns. Elaine’s terrified of em. 

I look back down at our intertwined hands. Everyone always says we make a cute couple, people who don’t know us, at least. I gotta admit, our hands together look kinda natural. I pretend to be asleep and don’t move my hand a bit. 

***

Finally, the movie finishes. Throughout the whole thing, Elaine didn’t move her hand at all. I really hope I wasn’t drooling or anything while I slept.

I squeeze her hand and smile. My heart flutters in my chest as she smiles back, light pink rising to her cheeks. 

We stand up without letting go of each other and brush popcorn off our clothes. We walk out of the theater, still hand in hand. 

 “Oh, oh my gosh, you guys are such a cute couple.” a random girl says. I look at Elaine. She hates it when people say that.

“W-”

“Thanks.” she cuts me off. I curiously look at her as we walk towards the park and let go of each other's hands. She sits on a swing, hugging herself. She’s probably cold. I don’t know what I’m doing anymore, but I take off my jacket and drape it around her. 

“You looked cold,” I say, hoping the heat in my cheeks doesn’t actually show. She smiles and pulls it tighter around herself. 

“We should walk home now,” she says, getting up from the swing. I nod.

“I thought you hated it when people call us a cute couple,” I say, waiting for her reply. 

“Shut up and hold my hand,” she says, and I can’t hold back my smile as I do, and we stay like that, forever and always.



August 25, 2020 16:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

143 comments

19:13 Aug 25, 2020

Awww this was sooo cutee! Crazy how she was so against it in the beginning but her mind was literally fighting back. (Me. Everyday. I swear my mind is a different breed) I really like the part where shes afraid of the clowns cause it gave them a chance to hold hands😏😏. I said this before but i'll say it again. YOUR 👏 SO 👏 GOOD 👏AT 👏WRITING 👏ROMANCE. The flow was quick and I got the feeling that you didn't want another 'To Be Continued'. But regardless this wass sooooo good! I'd read this twice and more, GREAT JOB! - Snow✨*~

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:54 Aug 26, 2020

Hey! If you want to re-read, I've added Jacob's perspective :)

Reply

20:04 Aug 26, 2020

Wow I was literally going 'Text' you! Read my Bio🤭(not the whole thing😂 just the bolded area) And YES I'm going to go reread it now!

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:07 Aug 26, 2020

**Squealllllllll** Yay! That made my day, thanks :) Yay! Just go to the middle where the word Jacob is

Reply

20:17 Aug 26, 2020

Of course! Lol! I already read the whole thing over! It was even better than before!, the two perspectives was definitely a clever idea. I knewww he wasn't asleeppp!! when I read the first one! Anyways this was soooooo goooddd! You should write more Romance🤭

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:49 Aug 27, 2020

Yeah, it was the propmt so I sorta had to. Hehe, we all did... Awww, thankssss :) You too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
20:13 Aug 25, 2020

Thanks sooo much! I'm so happy you liked it! She wasn't so much as against it as just not really knowing how to feel. I swear, mine too. Yesss I loved that part too **evil laugh YOU REALLY MEAN IT??? Thank youuuuuu Aw, thank you! I really liked the ending. No cliffhanger, but we might see more of these two soon. -Sunny

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Helene Ahlberg
12:54 Nov 11, 2022

Hi Amany, My name is Helene Ahlberg and I work at a publishing company in Sweden called NE. We publish learning material for all school levels in Sweden. Right we are working with a learning material for high school students learning English and our theme is Love. I found your fantastic editorial For Ever and Always and I wonder if we could publish it in our learning material only for the students to read (and understand) and also work with exercises to the text afterwards? I would be very grateful if you would contact me at helene.ahlberg@n...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helene Ahlberg
15:11 Oct 24, 2022

Hi Amany! I work at a publisher company called NE in Sweden (or Propello in the USA). We provide digital learning material for the compulsory school and high school i Sweden for pupils learning English. I found your text Forever And Always and I'm interested to get in contact with you. Can you contact me on helene.ahlberg@ne.se

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elk Whistler
15:20 May 15, 2021

I love this story so much! It's so cute and hilarious, and it was interesting to see the same story rewritten through both of their perspectives. Thank you for writing it, and great job! :) -Elena

Reply

Show 0 replies
Atenaga Monday
06:47 Dec 20, 2020

Please everyone check out my story and analyze it

Reply

Show 0 replies

These characters were so great and lifelike! You captured the awkwardness perfectlyyy. Dude!!! Your daily ¨Am I the only one who´s¨ are just like me. Whenever I watch a movie or finish a really good book, I pretend I am in a movie... Idk I'm weird. And the second one is just like me also. And I will answer your questions: I sorta plan, like I know the overall plan but not the little details, I just make that up along. Well, I just go lol when I am super lazy but most of the time I put an emoji. So.... yeah :D ( Or I will go like t...

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:22 Sep 08, 2020

Thanks! Hehe, yay, I'm weird too lol. Ineresting, interesting. Thanks for answering,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:02 Sep 02, 2020

I could feel the awkwardness. Great job

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bryce Lauren
16:19 Sep 01, 2020

This was great!

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:32 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cait Audrey
11:21 Aug 30, 2020

This story is such an amazing piece of work! I really feel like I'm inside of Elaine and Jacob's mind when I was reading each perspective. Oh, I especially love the beginning, the little inner monologue, mainly because that's how I think to my self as well. Watch me getting sucked into your other works :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:25 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you so much! Aw, that means a lot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
21:29 Aug 28, 2020

Awwwwww....that's so cute! Great writing, great dialogue. Love it!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:29 Aug 28, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
🄼🄹 🅂
14:49 Aug 28, 2020

This was sooo awesome! What Willow did sounds like something my friend would do 🤦🏾‍♀️ lolol. I love the characters so much and the way you ended. Could you check out my one of my stories? Thanks! Peace ✌🏾

Reply

Show 0 replies
Krishi Norris
13:28 Aug 28, 2020

Nice story! I love the sexual chemistry between Elaine and Jacob, it's so cute!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
23:44 Aug 26, 2020

Oooooh, I liked the Jacob POV. Very cute story, amazing as always!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:20 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you! Also, Vampire Hunt 2 is out if you wanna check it out! (it's my most recent story)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This was a very adorable easy read. I feel like Eliane and Jacob would last forever if they were a couple. Friends that turn into more than friends tend to last the longest. I enjoyed this a lot Amany, great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thom With An H
18:41 Aug 29, 2020

So this is the first story of yours that I've read and it's so good. It's almost hard to believe how much you packed into such a short story and you meshed the perspectives so well. Your characters were so very real. The situation seemed so believable it almost felt like non-fiction. I'm also a sucker for a happy ending and you were able to do that with the final three words of each perspective. I find it hard to write dialogue so I impressed when I see someone who does it well and you do. This is a first rate read. If I remember ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:27 Aug 28, 2020

This is a phenomenal piece of writing. The dialogue is brilliant and even though I find it a bit too romantic for my taste, I still think that you did an excellent job on setting the mood to extra awkward. I made my romance-loving friend read it, and she agreed with me on the point that it was a first-rate piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
PAMELA ABWAO
04:47 Aug 28, 2020

Sweet romance. Was it really a blind date?

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
04:42 Aug 28, 2020

Good story.Great job👍keep it up.Waiting for your next story. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior?”

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya Reynolds
00:30 Aug 28, 2020

Aww this is such a cute story!! I love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.