198 comments

Sad Friendship Happy

It's hard knowing you'll be away from your granddaughter for a while. Brinn is the crystal dewdrops, the silken petals, the diving moonlight to my earth. She's the cinnamon to my apple, the sugar to my spice, the salt to my pepper. 

I love my Brinn.

She'll always be my sweet little darling and my granddaughter and partner in crime. I remember unclipping my fountain pen from my pocket and finishing off those words with a flourish in my cookbook.

"What's a partner in crime, Grandpa?"

I chuckle. "It means someone who commits crimes along with you."

"We're not bad! We don't co-commit any crimes!"

"But we do-making these pies is a crime against me because I can't eat them."

"Why not?"

"Diabetes." I smile, stretching my fingers out to show her the barely healing punctures. The same fingers I've dipped in pie filling so many times to check the consistency. The same fingers baby Brinn chewed on. The same fingers that fed her and brushed her hair and pinched her cheeks.

The cookbook is Brinn's now. 

Apple, blueberry, peach, pumpkin, banana cream, banoffee, blackberry, cheese, cherry, chess, coconut cream, key lime, lemon meringue, meat, mince, pecan, raisin, raspberry, rhubarb, strawberry, and sweet potato pies and their recipes line the pages, hand-in-hand, in my cramped writing. 

My favorite has always been pumpkin. I ignore this when three-year-old Brinn tugs on my finger to tell me she prefers apple and blueberry pie instead and spend every pie-baking or -eating time with her watching her consume apple and blueberry. 

Eight-year-old Brinn asked me once, "What's your favorite flavor, Grandpa?" 

I replied with apple and blueberry; any of Brinn's favorites were mine as well, regardless of my tastes.

Her eyes and dimples crinkled upon hearing so, a smile occupying her small face--a few teeth missing here and there, taken by the Tooth Fairy---and spirit.

I love my Brinn.

Her toothless-then missing a few-then adorned with braces-now diamond smile is the real treat, regardless of which delicacy we decide to bake that day. I wouldn't mind missing a pie, but I know I'd miss that smile-I still do. Video calling doesn't do her smiles justice, pixelating the whiteness and glints I've looked forward to so much every day of her twenty-six years of living.

I love my Brinn.

Her hands, slowly growing over the years, hadn't gone a day without occupying me in the kitchen. Hers, smooth, tanned, and plump, whisking the ingredients together, kneading the dough, slipping into oven mitts, and mine, liver-spotted, wrinkled, and bony, always guiding hers. 

I miss the warmth of her hands. The only time I see them now are during video call when she reaches towards her phone to take a picture or end the call. 

Even if I could see her, we wouldn't be able to hold hands-she works in healthcare, and I'm eighty-seven. The risks are too high; she repeats to me worriedly when I ask to see her.

I don't mind the risks if I get to see my granddaughter. If I do die, the last person I want to see is Brinn.

I love my Brinn.

I love her so much that I decided to cook an apple and blueberry pie dedicated to her. 

She might not be with me now, but she's always had a firm grip on me-my heart, my beard when she was a baby, my clothes as a toddler, my hands as a child, and my kitchen tools as a woman.

I think of her powerful hold on my heart now as I preheat the oven and pull the ingredients from my shelves.

The recipe has always been crisp in my memory book-it's Brinn's favorite, after all. 

Apples.

Blueberries.

Flour.

Butter.

Salt.

Water.

Shortening.

Sugar.

Sugar? What will I do with the pie? My blood sugar levels don't need this much glucose.

I don't know, but I push the thought into a cell now, planning on unlocking it for trial later.

Cutting the butter into small cubes, like the rainbow ones she'd twist and turn. What did she call them? Rubix? Yes, Rubix cubes.

I smile at the memory, remembering how she brought me one for my kitchen counter. 

"Every kitchen counter needs a little something-like you always said," she laughed. 

I cried that night. Brinn always remembered the little things I said.

I need ice water. I remember the Ice Age, our word for the winter. We had watched a documentary about how early humans lived during the Ice Age and how they used every component of their resources when preparing food. Giggling, Brinn nudged me, mentioning I used all parts of my ingredients when baking as well-the fruit flesh for the pies and the peels and stems for compost for my orchards.

So it became our little joke.

I push my fingers through the pie crust dough, a smile appearing on my face. It feels like flying through clouds-doughy, perfect ones. I'll be pouring some apple and blueberry filling sunshine onto these clouds soon enough.

Soon, I place pie weights on top of the crust, thinking of Brinn's marble phase in elementary school and how they'd roll everywhere. 

The oven beeps, and I pull the crust out, marveling at its golden flakiness. The apples and blueberries have simmered into a sugary delight, perfuming my kitchen. 

I assemble the pie and unlock my thoughts for trial. What do I do with the pie? 

A grandpa can have a treat, and besides, I miss Brinn. I haven't had pie in almost twenty years; I lament as I dish myself a mouthwateringly large piece of apple and blueberry.

The filling pours out the sides, just how Brinn liked her slice and how I like mine too, because her favorites are always mine.

I miss my crystal dewdrops, my silken petals, my diving moonlight, my cinnamon, and my sugar and salt.

I know this is dangerous. What danger is it when it’s for my granddaughter, though? What are risks when it's for an angel, a diamond, an inspiration, a friend, a loved one, a family member?

I slide a fork into the pie and eat.

I love my Brinn.

March 12, 2021 16:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

198 comments

Julian Race
16:21 May 27, 2021

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/julian-race/

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
03:10 May 18, 2021

so, not active I hear? I guess I get that, just wanting someone to talk to so yeah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
10:46 May 15, 2021

Adding my observation to that of others, it is well crafted.

Reply

Laiba M
23:07 Jul 27, 2021

Thank you so much, Philip! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
07:51 May 06, 2021

New story out. Would love your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chelsea Iversen
13:47 Apr 23, 2021

This was so lovely and sad. I really enjoyed reading it. I almost cried. Well done! One small suggestion is about your use of dashes. I think there are some places where you could have used an "em" dash ( — ) instead of a hyphen ( - ) just for clarity. Otherwise, I think it was wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Laiba M
23:05 Jul 27, 2021

Hi, Chelsea!! So sorry for the late response, I've been taking a break from Reedsy~ Thank you for the suggestion!! If I could, I'd edit them into my story, that's a very thoughtful critique!! Thank you for your comment!! :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amarah Friedman
18:39 Apr 20, 2021

This is beyond beautiful. I teared up. I love the way you compare the granddaughter's braces to diamonds and use crystal dewdrops, etc to tie the piece together. Your characters' relationship is beyond sweet. I cannot wait to read more of your work! P.S. My favorite pie is pecan with ice cream... yum

Reply

Laiba M
23:02 Jul 27, 2021

So sorry for the late response, I was taking a break from Reedsy! You're so sweet, Amarah, thank you so much!!~ I know braces usually are thought of in a negative way and I wanted to display just how beautiful they are!! You're so sweet! I've never had pecan pie, but pie and ice cream together definitely are delicious!! :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hallie Blatz
15:56 Apr 16, 2021

This was beautiful! Ps: thanks for liking so many of my stories!

Reply

Laiba M
23:00 Jul 27, 2021

No need to thank me, you're a great writer!! Sorry for the late response-I was taking a break from Reedsy! Thank you for your sweet comment though!!~ :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ann Tillinghast
18:45 Apr 11, 2021

Nice and sad story. Very well written 😊 Please read mine and like it if you want ☺️

Reply

Laiba M
22:59 Jul 27, 2021

Thank you, Ann!!~ I definitely will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I love Brinn, too. She's the prefect granddaughter, and the grandfather (grandfather, right? Might have missed something but I think he's the grandfather) is so kind. You really hit the nail on the head, twice!

Reply

Laiba M
22:59 Jul 27, 2021

Yess he is the grandfather!! Thank you so much, Jade!! How are you, by the way?? And so sorry for my super late response, I just came back onto Reedsy T-T

Reply

I'm actually going to be off for a while. I'm not really writing much anymore, because I found a better passion with music. I might put up some lyrics, but I'm going to be mostly inactive for... I don't know. A while. Plus, now you have to pay to enter the contests, so yeah.

Reply

Laiba M
17:00 Apr 14, 2022

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that :(( Yeah, I've been taking a break from Reedsy for a while too-I'll miss you!! :) Glad we got to talk for a while~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lemon Lime
19:44 Apr 09, 2021

lol, i didnt think brinn was a person

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
00:28 Mar 28, 2021

Wait are you gonna come back?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
16:13 Mar 26, 2021

Heyyyy how are you doing today? Have you seen the new prompts?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
18:31 Mar 22, 2021

How are ya today?

Reply

Laiba M
18:37 Mar 22, 2021

Thank you for asking :)~ I'm really good!!!!!!!!! You?

Reply

B. W.
20:17 Mar 22, 2021

I guess I've been good, a little bored and tired though :/ still doing stuff for the novel at the moment.

Reply

Laiba M
11:22 Mar 23, 2021

Good to hear that and that makes sense~! Remember to take breaks and do some self care, whether that's alone or with others :) Which chapter are you on?

Reply

B. W.
13:36 Mar 23, 2021

I'm on chapter 3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:58 Mar 20, 2021

Could you maybe help me with something?

Reply

Laiba M
13:26 Mar 21, 2021

Sure!

Reply

B. W.
15:41 Mar 21, 2021

You know how we were talking about the novel a little bit ago?

Reply

Laiba M
18:35 Mar 22, 2021

Yeah!

Reply

B. W.
20:17 Mar 22, 2021

I need some more help with the whole chaos thing

Reply

Laiba M
11:21 Mar 23, 2021

Okay!! Is there anything specific you want help with, like physical appearances and such?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:05 Mar 20, 2021

Hey, I just got a new story out ^^

Reply

Laiba M
02:18 Mar 20, 2021

Thanks for letting me know!!!! I'm SO excited :DDDDD And yes, I'll remember to leave feedback, haha!!

Reply

B. W.
02:21 Mar 20, 2021

No prob ^^ It's probably one of my favorite stories that I've done so far

Reply

Laiba M
14:58 Mar 20, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
03:22 Mar 19, 2021

Ya wanna hear a joke?

Reply

Laiba M
12:37 Mar 19, 2021

Yesss!

Reply

B. W.
14:19 Mar 19, 2021

Knock Knock

Reply

Laiba M
14:35 Mar 19, 2021

Who's there??

Reply

B. W.
16:26 Mar 19, 2021

Shelby

Reply

Laiba M
16:36 Mar 19, 2021

Shelby who?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
16:51 Mar 18, 2021

Do you think the new prompts will be good tomorrow?

Reply

Laiba M
16:52 Mar 18, 2021

Hmm, I don't really know. I hope!~ They should be good-this week's and last week's prompts were amazing!!

Reply

B. W.
16:53 Mar 18, 2021

Any ideas on what they'll be about?

Reply

Laiba M
17:09 Mar 18, 2021

Maybe cooking? Or weather? What do you think?

Reply

B. W.
17:14 Mar 18, 2021

Maybe something about Luck?

Reply

Laiba M
18:07 Mar 18, 2021

Oooh!!!! That's actually really good, I didn't even think about St. Patrick's Day!! Or finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, whether that's literal or figurative!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ivy Spade
13:22 Mar 16, 2021

HI! Your story is great! I came here from Avani's story. It has a great description and everything. Keep writing!

Reply

Laiba M
13:49 Mar 16, 2021

Hi, Rosey!!!~ Thank you so, so much! You're very sweet, and I will!

Reply

Ivy Spade
14:08 Mar 16, 2021

Your welcome! Also thanks for the follow. :3

Reply

Laiba M
15:11 Mar 16, 2021

Of course! Sweet people always deserve followers! Is there a specific story of yours you'd like me to read?

Reply

Ivy Spade
17:03 Mar 16, 2021

Thank you! And not any in particular you can just read what you would like!

Reply

Laiba M
17:10 Mar 16, 2021

Okay!! Thanks for letting me know~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.