One Sucky Christmas Day... (Lyra's POV)

Submitted into Contest #73 in response to: Write about someone who gets proposed to five times on Christmas Eve.... view prompt

597 comments

Romance LGBTQ+ Christmas

“There! All done!” my little brother - Adryan - screamed, his arms above his head in a jumping jack position. In front of him, the lights of my mother’s Christmas tree twinkled red and green.

A loud, shrill beep came from the kitchen, and the mouthwatering smell of candy-cane cookies filled the air. My mom rushed into the kitchen, a grin on her face. We all followed her, ready to help her whenever she asked.

“Lyra, when did Marcia say she was coming?” Mom said. She took the cookies out of the oven and put them on a separate platter.

I glanced at my phone and looked out the window. “She’s coming soon, okay? Nobody’s arrived yet, so it’s fine.”

I ran to the window and pressed my hands to the glass because I wanted to see the snow float in the air. The snowflakes caressed the window and accumulated on the bushes like dust.

Headlights blinded me as they came closer to our home. I looked away for a second and skipped to the door, a smile on my face.

“Marcia’s here!”

I threw the door open but stopped it before it slammed into the wall. The taxi Marcia had taken was stopped in the driveway, which Adryan and I had cleared beforehand. Marcia stepped out and paid the driver. They backed out of the driveway and left.

Marcia, her neck covered by a coat and the most beautiful gold scarf I’ve ever seen, ran up the pathway, her mouth curved into a grin. White smoke emitted from her mouth as she jumped up the stairs. I opened the door and hugged her tightly. The sounds of our laughs mixed.

“Hi, how are you?” she asked and pulled away.

I held onto her, my candy cane pajamas tickled my skin, and exclaimed, “Check out the tree! It looks so good!”

Marcia looked behind me, and I backed out of the doorway, letting her come inside. She took off her boots and shook off the snow, and we walked arm-in-arm to the Christmas tree. As she marveled over the star and the pretty colors, I stared at the present with her name on it.

“Hey, anyone home?” a voice came from the door, and it creaked open.

I turned and saw John standing in the doorway, a huge grin on his face. “Merry Christmas!”

We avoided each other’s eyes, and I crossed my arms as Marcia ran up to him and hugged him. He turned red and his eyes widened. He hugged her back, a huge grin on his face.

I knew he liked Marcia, and he was so obvious about it too! It’s a bit surprising that Marcia didn’t know about his crush.

Once John let go of Marcia, he said, “I-I meant besides these two gremlins!”

We both laughed, and just to make Marcia happy, I copied her actions and smacked John’s arm. As I did, John glared at me.

“Hey, Marcia, u-um… can I talk to you about something?” John asked and scratched his chin.

Marcia stared at me, her eyebrows raised, and I glanced away, my eyes wide. They burned with tears that threatened to spill from my eyelids if I didn’t run away. I backed up away from them and ran into the kitchen.

Paper towels on the marble counter caught my attention. I grabbed them and blotted my eyes with the rough towels.

Adryan gave me a curious look, his eyebrows furrowed at me, but I avoided his eyes, as I didn’t want to have to explain myself.

I envied John. He had the confidence to confess his feelings to Marcia, but I could never do that. If Marcia said she didn’t feel the same… I don’t know what I’d do. I wouldn’t be able to face her anymore.

I grabbed three cups of eggnog - two for me, one for Marcia - “C’mon, Marcy! Have some eggnog! I spiked it with extra scotch!”

“Woah, there, take it easy! What’s that, your fifteenth cup? You gotta calm down, Ly!” Tom exclaimed.

“Excuse me,” - I took a sip and let the foam bubble up against my top lip - “This is actually my first! I’m not an alcoholic, you know.”

Tom laughed his throaty laugh and took off his coat. “Seems pretty close though.”

I rolled my eyes and drank more as Marcia ran up to Tom and yelled, “Tommy! Come here and give me a hug!”

Their hug lasted about a minute and 50 seconds, as I counted in my head. I could see Marcia get uncomfortable in his grasp, but I said nothing. I wish I could.

“How’s lawyer stuff?” she asked.

“Ugh, hard,” Tom said. He let go of her and smacked John’s arm. Marcia turned to me and grabbed her cup of eggnog, just as I finished my second cup.

Tom tapped Marcia’s shoulder. “Hey, Marcia, can I talk to you?”

I sighed and shook my head. Why did Tom have to be so formal about his confession? It wasn’t like it would affect their lives that much. They would still be friends. But… if Marcia said yes…

She’d always spoken about how good-looking Tom was.

I reached for another cup of eggnog, and with nobody there to stop me, finished the third glass.

Marcia didn’t understand that Tom and John would never really be my friends. They didn’t care about me at all, and it wasn’t like I cared. The only thing they cared about was Marcia.

My mom beckoned me over and I walked over to where she sat on the couch. An enormous platter of cookies was on the table, and I took one. Mom smiled at me. The wrinkles and dips around her nose and mouth deepened. She still looked prettier than ever, even though her old age had caught up to her.

“What’s wrong?”

Mom pointed behind me, and I looked back to see Marcia standing with Adryan. He puckered his lips dramatically at her, and I snorted. Cookie crumbs and pieces of candy cane almost burst out of my mouth.

I set my cookie down. “Defend my cookie, Mom. Make sure none of these germs,” - I looked around the boys - “touch it, ‘kay?”

She bobbed her head up and down, her eyebrows furrowed. “Roger that.”

I laughed at her and ran to where Adryan stood. I lunged for his shoulders and dug my nails deep into them.

“Stop bothering her, boy!” I kicked his back, and he laughed.

Marcia smiled at me. That smile suddenly turned to a frown. “Ly, did you know that the boys were… in love with me?”

I avoided her eyes and bit my lip. “Y-yeah…”

“Well,” - she grinned and took a huge sip of eggnog - “I just gotta say thank you for not telling me ‘cause this night was horrible. Like, REALLY horrible.”

I smiled at her and slithered my arm around her shoulder. I could feel the dirty looks that John and Tom gave me, but I ignored them.

“I’m so happy that you’re not proposing. That’d be too much.”

I could feel the tears again. They burned the corners of my eyes, and I rushed up to my room before Marcia could say anything more.

She ran up the stairs behind me, and I jumped into my bed, grabbed the seam of my blanket, and pulled it over my head.

“Ly? You okay?”

I peeked through a hole in my blanket. Marcia stood awkwardly in the doorway, her hand wrapped around the frame.

“You could sit here,” I said and patted my bed.

She nodded and sat next to me.

“Marcy… I- I dunno how to tell you this....” I hesitated and took the blanket off my head.

“Let me guess, you wanna marry me, you’ve been madly in love with me, blah blah blah,” she said, her arms behind her on my bed.

My eyes narrowed at her and icy tears dripped from my chin onto my bed, opposing the burning temperature of my face.

The door to my room creaked open, and I raised my head to see Mom. “Girls, I propose we listen to something other than Mariah Carey? She gets enough money every Christmas anyway- oh, I’m sorry!”

She left the room and closed the door behind her.

“I- I’m really sorry, Ly.”

That was all she could say. Tears dripped faster onto my sheets and I tried to keep my cool because it wasn’t her fault. I knew that. But I also knew I could never compare to Tom or John.

“Lyra, I think I know what you were going to say,” Marcia said again.

I shook my head, wiping my eyes with my sheets. But I couldn’t contain the sobs that tumbled from my lips. Marcia held up a hand to stop me, her arms around my shoulders.

“I’m free on Thursday… wanna do it then??”

I gasped and looked up at her. “Do what?”

“Uh… go on a date with me!” Marcia exclaimed. “Duh, silly!”

I laughed too, hiccups from my shaking body mixed with them.




Dedicated to Luke/Litlover, who I collabbed with on this story! :D

December 18, 2020 20:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

597 comments

Kristin Neubauer
14:42 Dec 19, 2020

This was really cute - and really well done! I am amazed by anyone who can put something out so quickly after the prompts come out. The dialogue and the plot flowed so easy and naturally. It was also a really creative an entertaining take on the prompt. Loved it!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
15:54 Dec 19, 2020

Thank you so much! I was also REALLY surprised, I've never been that fast before. Thank you again! :)

Reply

. .
13:16 Dec 23, 2020

*Laughs in Luke-world** 7/19 of my stories were right after the prompts came out!!!!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
13:28 Dec 23, 2020

I knew it! You have speedy fingers! I swear, my fingers are like the slowest in the world when it comes to writing stories for prompts! That was also the first story I did without any planning way beforehand, lol. Only 1/26 stories came out when the prompts first came out, and that's this one. However, about 4/26 stories came out at the last possible second.

Reply

. .
13:32 Dec 23, 2020

Ha lol everyone says that!! I don't really plan mine. Lol, only 1/26. That's ok tho, there's no right way!!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:42 Dec 23, 2020

I plan all of my stories beforehand because it gives me such satisfaction to know my character's personality, but it's also sort of intriguing to just write and let your hand take you wherever it wants, lol. Yeah, that's true!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
19:51 Apr 13, 2021

Hey :) I know I don't really know you that well, but are you okay? (you know, with the downvoting stuff)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
12:41 Apr 26, 2021

Hello! Oh, well honestly I haven't been on here in a while, but like I was kind of surprised when I looked because things kept changing. Somehow, I feel like I kind of deserve this because I haven't been writing, but I dunno if that's true-.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
02:46 May 01, 2021

Hi!

Reply

Hello! I'm basically annoying people so I'm sorry if you're feeling bothered!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
03:48 May 01, 2021

No, you're not annoying! You're completely fine :)

Reply

Oh ok!!! SO how are you?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
12:36 May 17, 2021

I'm pretty okay, hbu?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
20:24 Mar 17, 2021

Hi! I know we don't know each other but that just makes this funner How are you? :)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
21:16 Mar 26, 2021

Oh, hi! Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on at all lol. I feel pretty meh, how've you been?

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:55 Mar 26, 2021

Hi!!!! Nope it's okay, I haven't either lol I'm pretty meh! You?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
21:59 Mar 26, 2021

Lol. I mean, I've been trying to get used to everything on Reedsy, especially since I was downvoted so much-

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:06 Mar 26, 2021

I KNOW ME TOO! It's so crazy, and I spend most of my time on reedsy gawking at how low everyones points dropped.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
22:19 Mar 26, 2021

Lol yeah, it's weird. I thought I was the only one, but these downvoters have definitely gotten busy.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
19:40 Feb 20, 2021

Heyy, Raquel!! We haven't talked in so long! I've been super busy. How are you? Do you want to continue that random question thing we were doing? :)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:10 Feb 22, 2021

Hey Laiba! I know, right? Same, I've had a bunch of exams in Earth Science. I'm pretty good, hbu? Sure, it was a lot of fun! :D

Reply

Laiba M
17:25 Feb 22, 2021

Yeah! Oof, that sounds really stressful T-T I'm good too, thank you for asking! What would you say is the first/most important thing on your bucket list?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:38 Feb 22, 2021

That's good! Hm, first thing on my bucket list would probably be... writing my first novel! What about you?

Reply

Laiba M
20:07 Feb 22, 2021

To get a kitten, I love them so much!~ What's your favorite emoji?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
20:26 Feb 22, 2021

Kittens are so cute, I have a dog so I can't get one, but in Minecraft they're so adorable lol. My favorite emoji issss 🍵

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:37 Jan 19, 2021

Hey?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
21:43 Mar 26, 2021

Hey!

Reply

B. W.
22:42 Mar 26, 2021

How are you doing?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:09 Mar 29, 2021

I'm doing pretty well, kind of getting over the shock I had when I came back on and all my points were gone.

Reply

B. W.
14:35 Mar 29, 2021

Oh, you lost a lot of points aswell?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:37 Mar 29, 2021

Yeah- it's not fun at all. I only have 667 now

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
23:40 Jan 13, 2021

gurl i was rereading ur bio after such a long time and it's so funny cause nowadays i have like zero time and i dropped my novella 😳

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
21:43 Mar 26, 2021

lol hey sis! what's up? I have zero time too because of school, and when I came back everything changed, it was so weird!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
00:27 Jan 06, 2021

Raquel you're in my new story!!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:34 Jan 06, 2021

Ooh, I'll go check it out right now, thank you so much! :D

Reply

. .
14:35 Jan 06, 2021

No prob!! I think you'll enjoy it hon hon hon hon hon hon XD

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:41 Jan 06, 2021

Tysm again! I think I will lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
18:22 Jan 05, 2021

Hey Raquel! It's been awhile! Nice work here, I really like the characters you've developed in such a short story. I haven't read Luke's story, but I'm sure it's also amazing. My only critiques are that there are some errors in grammar and certain bits I'd edit up, but otherwise, nice work! I just posted a new myth story and another non myth story recently, if you could read them!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:31 Jan 06, 2021

Hello! Thank you! Also, I don't mean to sound rude (if I do) but can you please tell me where the errors are so I can try not to make the same mistakes next time? Sure!

Reply

Maya W.
14:49 Jan 06, 2021

Of yeah, sure! I'm sorta busy right now but I'll definitely go back later.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
15:21 Jan 06, 2021

Alright, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:35 Jan 01, 2021

Could ya check out my new story and leave some feedback?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:21 Jan 03, 2021

Sure! Sorry, I haven't been online as much, but once school starts on the 4th that'll change, oof.

Reply

B. W.
04:43 Jan 03, 2021

Its alright ^^ you do online school as well?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
12:28 Jan 04, 2021

Yep! I told my mom I didn't want to do blended learning, so she let me do all remote

Reply

B. W.
16:38 Jan 04, 2021

I just didn't want to go to regular school while all this stuff was going on

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
18:28 Jan 04, 2021

Yeah same, I didn't wanna wear a mask for long

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
11:35 Jan 01, 2021

how are you doing today? could we talk?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:26 Jan 03, 2021

Sure, sorry about not being active as often! Happy (late) New Year, btw!

Reply

B. W.
04:43 Jan 03, 2021

Did ya watch a ball drop or anything?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
12:33 Jan 04, 2021

No, I couldn't because my mom doesn't like cable, lol

Reply

B. W.
16:38 Jan 04, 2021

she doesnt?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
18:29 Jan 04, 2021

No, so we couldn't watch the ball drop.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
19:55 Dec 30, 2020

read my bio? important

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:26 Dec 31, 2020

Right away!

Reply

Amaya .
00:40 Jan 01, 2021

what do you think

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:30 Jan 03, 2021

I put it in my bio too, and I wrote a message! That's horrible, and I love to see that you're standing up for the animals and making this place a better world! Also, Happy New Year!

Reply

Amaya .
20:22 Jan 03, 2021

yay!!!! i know right, thank you! you too! can't believe it's January

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
12:31 Jan 04, 2021

:D Yeah, I really hope 2021 is better than 2020!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
16:38 Dec 31, 2020

What's up gurl?

Reply

Chilling! Whaddup with u?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
18:20 Dec 31, 2020

Nothing much, reading Wattpad and watching Youtube, lol. Too lazy to do anything oof

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:20 Jan 03, 2021

Lolllll, we're kindred spirits I guess?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:25 Dec 30, 2020

Hm, whats a burn book?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
00:28 Dec 30, 2020

A book that you burn after you're done writing in it! It's really fun to do :)

Reply

B. W.
02:20 Dec 30, 2020

It is?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
02:28 Dec 30, 2020

Yep, it could be about anyone or anything, you just burn it at the end.

Reply

B. W.
02:51 Dec 30, 2020

Have you done one before or is this the first one your ever doing?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:10 Dec 30, 2020

Nope, never done anything like it before, so I'm excited :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
19:06 Dec 28, 2020

oh..i'll edit it

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:12 Jan 06, 2021

hm?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
18:52 Dec 28, 2020

what's a burn book?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
20:45 Dec 28, 2020

It's a book that you burn at the end

Reply

Amaya .
20:51 Dec 28, 2020

what do you write in it?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
20:53 Dec 28, 2020

For me, I write about my current crushes. A different chapter for each one. But you could rage in it, or make a fake hit list. You just have to burn it after you're done writing

Reply

Amaya .
20:54 Dec 28, 2020

oooh that's really cool! sorta unrelated but I would love having a journal if I wasn't constantly paranoid that my fam would find it

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
00:42 Dec 29, 2020

Lolll, I know, right? SO fun! Same, when I'm with at my dad's house he tries to look through my journal, but when I'm with my mom she doesn't, so yeah. It's pretty funny how my dad tries to look through my diary, but that's why I don't bring it to his house anymore :P

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎉🎁🎂🎈🎊 HENLO FRIEND I A M HERE TO SAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂 💝💝💝💝💝💝💝🎉🎉🎉💝🎉💝💝🎉🎉🎉💝🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜🎂🎂🎂

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:32 Dec 27, 2020

HENLOOOOO! OMG YAY! GURL THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHH! *virtually squeezes to death*

Reply

NO PROBLEM *virtually squeezes baccccc*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:16 Dec 26, 2020

I'm not sure if i told you already or not, though I got a new story out ^^

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:45 Dec 27, 2020

I don't think you did, I guess I could check it out!

Reply

B. W.
18:01 Dec 27, 2020

alright thanks ^^ remember to leave feedback, its called "A weird adventure with two friends"

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:33 Dec 27, 2020

Okay! I'll check it out right now! :)

Reply

B. W.
21:31 Dec 27, 2020

thanks ^^ im excited to see what ya think

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
17:53 Dec 26, 2020

How are you doing today?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:30 Dec 26, 2020

Good, you?

Reply

B. W.
19:32 Dec 26, 2020

I'm a bit tired, though im working on a new story.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:42 Dec 27, 2020

Oh, that's nice!

Reply

B. W.
18:00 Dec 27, 2020

It's actually already out now

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:34 Dec 27, 2020

Okay, I'll check it out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:33 Dec 24, 2020

what do you think of the new prompts?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:26 Dec 26, 2020

I absolutely loved them, I'm really interested in the ten-second one.

Reply

B. W.
04:39 Dec 26, 2020

Nice

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:41 Dec 26, 2020

Yeah. How about you?

Reply

B. W.
04:42 Dec 26, 2020

i dunno :/ all of them are good

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:45 Dec 26, 2020

Yeah, I've never done anything like this before

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.