Her Strange but Loving Family (part 1)

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a fairy tale about someone who can communicate with woodland creatures.... view prompt

588 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

~17 years ago...~

It had been quite peaceful in the dead of night, and almost everyone there was drifting off into sleep, except of course some of the Owls and some of the other exceptions that were up in the night.

Though unluckily for them it didn't last long before it was anything but peaceful anymore. Sounds of crying that almost sounded like shrieking began, along with an occasional rustle coming from a couple of Shrubs. It seemed to be a little far away, but almost everyone there could hear it.

Davina, a young Fawn, eventually had enough of all the noise though. "Come on, all I want is to sleep...I was having a good dream! It's so late, what could be causing this noise..." she crankily mumbled to herself.

As she left her own home to go check out the cause of the noise, she could hear the flapping of wings behind her. "Who...who's there?" she mumbled as she turned around, slightly letting out a yawn.

When she turned around to see the cause of the other noise, she didn't see it at first. Instead, she saw her mother still in their little home, fast asleep, and curled up. "How can she even sleep through the...AH!"

Before she managed to finish that sentence, a young dragon fell in front of her, causing her to jump back in shock. "Solo! What do you think you're doing? You know I don't like it when you do that." she growled.

He let out a small laugh at her reaction, with his wings slightly twitching behind him. "Sorry...though I was looking for you, I knew you'd probably go looking for that source of the noise, but I didn't want you to go alone," he explained.

She let out a small sigh before a smile started to spread across her face, "Well thanks for coming to help me I guess, with you, it should be easier to find it now..." she yawned.

They walked around for what seemed like ages until they could both tell that the source of the noise was right next to them now. There was someone else though with the source as well, like Davina and Solo weren't the only ones who had the same idea.

A Raccoon, a little younger than either of them, was standing nearby and looking down at what had to be the source of the crying and shrieking. She began to step a little closer to him, "Rio? Are you-"

"Shhh...both of you, come over here and take a look..." he replied to her, barely above a whisper. It was a miracle though that she was even able to hear him, as they were right next to the shrieking and crying.

The two of them then joined their Raccoon friend and took a little look at what was causing all of the noise. Davina's eyes widened slightly, as the three of them were staring at a young abandoned human baby.

~Present Day...~

She sat on a tree branch that was luckily able to support her, all while she stared up at the cloudy yet beautiful sky. "Oh, there you are! I knew I'd find you up here." she could hear her older brother say from nearby.

After a few moments of her just hearing the flapping of wings and some specific noises that only his kind made, Solo popped up in front of her. "Heya big bro" she replied with a small smile, while slightly patting one of his wings.

"Artio, what are you doing up here again? If you like being up high so much, you know I could take you out for a little ride if you want?"

She shook her head before resting one of her hands down on the old tree, "No thanks Soll, I just like coming up here to relax from time to time. I just finished doing something with Rio as well," she told him.

He let out a small laugh as he then asked, "And what would that 'something' be? Playing little tricks on some of the Owls? You know they'll eventually get angry with both of you if you keep doing that."

Artio proceeded to jump out of the tree, luckily with a soft landing and managing to hurt herself. She let out a little laugh, though it was more of a snort-laugh. "Well they've gotten mad at us before and let me tell you, they are so adorable when they get upset."

"Hm, that's what you say about almost everyone here when they get mad..."

"Well it's true, don't you think? Especially whenever sis gets mad...or maybe that's her at least trying to get mad about something."

"Oh, there you are Art! You know it's so hard to find you sometimes...you have a lot of favorite places here." Rio, a bit happily and exhausted said.

Besides the exhausted Raccoon that had found the two of them, Davina was walking right next to him. "We've only been looking for them for seven minutes...are you really that tired?"

Artio smiled as she ran over to them and gave Davina a small hug, while instead picking up Rio and giving him a little kiss on the forehead. He let out a low hiss but she just seemed to laugh again as he told her, "Arttttt...you know I don't like those..."

"So sis, is there something you two need from us?" she asked as she set Rio back down next to her, who then jumped up and sat on Davina's back.

She nodded a little bit as she began to head in the other direction, both Solo and Artio quickly beginning to follow her and Rio. "Yes actually, and it's something a little fun that I was wanting us to go do for a while."

Artio tilted her head like a confused or curious puppy, "And what is it?"

She looked back at the two of them with a large grin on her face, "We're going to go on a little trip through the bigger areas of this place, I don't think any of us have actually been over there so it's new for all of us."

Artio's eyes widened and almost seemed to have stars in them, "Like an adventure? Soll is already a dragon, maybe there'll be some sort of princess or something! Just imagine all of the stuff that could happen."

Davina's grin grew a little more as she saw how excited her sister was, "Hm yes it could count as an adventure if you'd like, now come on let's go!"

The four of them began to head to the much deeper areas of the home everyone lived in, it was going to be a great adventure. Rio was letting out squeaks of excitement on Davina's head, while Artio was riding on Solo's back.

March 19, 2021 21:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

588 comments

Heyy...

Reply

B. W.
00:30 Mar 25, 2021

Heya, how are you doing?

Reply

Good! Annoyed about downvoting, kinda stressed cuz I have so much homework right now, but also excited for spring break and such. Wbu?

Reply

B. W.
03:03 Mar 25, 2021

I guess I've still been good. But I feel like barely anyone is on here anymore, nobody has really been talking to me for a while that much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
02:19 Mar 20, 2021

I love this so much! It was so sweet to read :) Your writing style always makes me smile!! A few grammar issues~ But overall, I LOVED the nostalgic feeling of kids' adventure books and such!! Great job, Hope!

Reply

B. W.
02:22 Mar 20, 2021

Thanks, I'm really glad that ya liked this one :) did you maybe have a favorite part or character in it? And I'm going to try and fix some of the little errors soon whenever I can.

Reply

Laiba M
14:59 Mar 20, 2021

I loved Davina and her consideration for her little sister!! Hmm, my favorite part was DEFINITELY the end. No doubt. It was so happy and wholesome!!!!!!~

Reply

B. W.
15:38 Mar 20, 2021

You can probably tell that this is actually going to be a series and stuff, so is there anything you'd wanna see happen in a later part of the series or something? Ya got any suggestions?

Reply

Laiba M
12:55 Mar 21, 2021

Yess, and definitely! Hmm, I'd want to see what goes on with the adventure part!

Reply

B. W.
15:41 Mar 21, 2021

Hm, I'd probably end up doing that. Anything else?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:32 May 01, 2021

Heya, how are you?

Reply

I'm good! I haven't talked to you for a long time! But yeah... hbu?

Reply

B. W.
01:42 May 07, 2021

eh half and half

Reply

that's cool! At least it ain't I feel horrible!

Reply

B. W.
00:55 May 09, 2021

What do ya think of the prompts?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hallo! Sorry... I'm being random!

Reply

B. W.
19:28 Apr 22, 2021

Eh its fine, how are ya

Reply

Good! Thanks for asking! HBU?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:09 Mar 25, 2021

B I saw ur bio and now I'm sad. Yes I would love to talk to uuuuuu! I think u said earlier that u started mha, right? Where are you right now?

Reply

B. W.
14:42 Mar 25, 2021

I've really only watched the first episode so far but that's mostly because I've been a little busy, whenever its the weekend I'll go and watch the other episodes. I still really enjoyed it though ^^

Reply

14:57 Mar 25, 2021

Yeah, I read the manga and it took me so long to get past the opening bc the first book has like the first 6 episodes, but I didn't get another book for a few months bc it was kinda expensive.

Reply

B. W.
15:28 Mar 25, 2021

Wait, aren't ya working on a story that's kind of like mha? I think I did the little quiz thing to be in it?

Reply

15:47 Mar 25, 2021

Yeah, I have 22 people (including me), so I'm gonna start next week. Right now though, I'm trying to fit like 4 stories into the deadline, lol.

Reply

B. W.
15:56 Mar 25, 2021

Is it going to turn out as a series you'll do on here or is it just be one little story? That's a lot of people for it

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:46 Mar 19, 2021

So is this going to be a series? It kinda has that nostalgic vibe of like kids themed things, but like a little more plot in-depth. Honestly though, that’s such a great vibe to go for!

Reply

B. W.
21:56 Mar 19, 2021

yep, its going to be a series, and I'm glad that you liked it ^^ did you maybe have a favorite part or character in it?

Reply

23:03 Mar 19, 2021

I think the dragon’s entrance was cute, so im partial to them :)

Reply

B. W.
23:15 Mar 19, 2021

Like I told you, it's going to be a series. So is there anything you'd wanna see happen in the next part or something?

Reply

23:17 Mar 19, 2021

Honestly, I hate when people tell me what to do with series, and I love surprises, so not really! Thanks for asking though!

Reply

B. W.
23:26 Mar 19, 2021

Oh, that's fine. Also I saw your little thing for the Reedsy Cast and I did it a little bit ago, have you seen my thing yet?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
13:52 Aug 08, 2021

I loved reading this it was amazing and I really enjoyed it. Also I love the nostalgic vibe :)) Could you please read my story if possible :))

Reply

B. W.
15:46 Aug 08, 2021

Thanks so much ^^ Did you have a favorite part or character in the story? And sure, I'll do that soon.

Reply

Palak Shah
16:26 Aug 08, 2021

Yes I liked Rios parts the best :))) Thanks :)))

Reply

B. W.
02:03 Aug 09, 2021

No prob, and is there anything that you'd maybe want to see in another part of this or anything?

Reply

Palak Shah
09:22 Aug 09, 2021

Idk actually hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think whatever you will write will be better than what I'm thinking of Just let me know if you post a sequel :))

Reply

B. W.
22:56 Aug 09, 2021

Well I actually do have a sequel to this one, its the most recent one that I've made. Maybe you could check it out and leave some more feedback?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aurora Spencer
14:03 Apr 08, 2021

Your story was really fun to read, and I love the dialogue you've used, because it sounds so realistic and just as it would in real life (I struggle with dialogue). This is a series, right? I'd love to read the next parts that you write for this! I did notice a couple of minute grammatical errors/alterations. Here they are, just in case you'd like to refer to them: 1. "It's so late, what could be causing this noise..." Question mark after this sentence would make it sound better. 2. "The four of them began to head to the much deeper areas...

Reply

B. W.
15:21 Apr 08, 2021

Thanks so much, I'm glad that you liked this ^^ Thanks again for pointing out the errors, and yep, this is actually a series :) I'm trying to make a part 2 at the moment for it, though I don't know when it'll even be out. Did you maybe have a favorite part in the story or even a favorite character in it?

Reply

Aurora Spencer
04:52 Apr 09, 2021

No problem! :) Wow, that's cool! I'll be sure to check part two when it comes out. Are you going to submit it for next week's prompts? I enjoyed the whole story in general, but my favorite is the flashback (17 years ago) and the part where they go to explore the deeper places because it makes us want to start reading the next part! I really like Davina's character. She sort of stood out; Is she perhaps the main character? P.S. I'm new to this website so I don't really know how the points system works. You have 61 awesome stories but only ar...

Reply

B. W.
15:58 Apr 09, 2021

I originally did have a *lot* more points, but there's been like a lot of downvoting tbh :/ And yes, Davina is the main character along with Artio, I guess Rio and Solo might be side characters. Speaking of the prompts, have you seen the new ones yet?

Reply

Aurora Spencer
16:13 Apr 09, 2021

Aww that's bad. :/ Are people really allowed to reduce others' points like that? Cool! I kinda guessed that she was one of the main characters. Yeah, I saw them. I might probably do the 'looking toward the future' one if I can, because I have a few ideas related to that. What do you think of the prompts?

Reply

B. W.
16:55 Apr 09, 2021

I kind of like them, but I don't have any ideas for any of them yet. What's something you'd wanna see happen in the next part of this though?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya M.
23:03 Mar 25, 2021

#StopDownvotingNow Share this with 10 friends!

Reply

B. W.
00:20 Mar 26, 2021

Alright then

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:30 Mar 25, 2021

hi! I saw your bio :] so here I am how are you?

Reply

B. W.
22:39 Mar 25, 2021

I guess I'm fine, what about you?

Reply

22:43 Mar 25, 2021

I'm good/tired. How many novels are you writing? I started one with Saph but I don't know how you can write so many at once

Reply

B. W.
00:20 Mar 26, 2021

Just a lot. Though I'm actually writing another one at the moment that's going to be an actual novel and one that people can buy and read while the others are for fun, I'm on chapter 3.

Reply

01:00 Mar 26, 2021

ooh okay, what is that one about? (if you wanna share)

Reply

B. W.
01:05 Mar 26, 2021

It features a bit of Greek Mythology, along with Egyptian and Hawaiian. Along with a bit of Norse.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
15:24 Mar 24, 2021

Hello!! Will you help us get rid of downvoting? Click here to sign our petition!! :) http://chng.it/Y8pTpNJG

Reply

B. W.
15:27 Mar 24, 2021

Yeah sure I don't see why not, when did ya make this?

Reply

Felicity Anne
15:29 Mar 24, 2021

Awesome!! Just today, actually!! :)

Reply

B. W.
15:46 Mar 24, 2021

How much people are you wanting to sign it?

Reply

Felicity Anne
15:48 Mar 24, 2021

As many as possible! :)

Reply

B. W.
16:34 Mar 24, 2021

Alright, so how have you been?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:19 Mar 23, 2021

How are you doing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
14:52 Mar 23, 2021

Hey can I talk to you?

Reply

B. W.
15:16 Mar 23, 2021

Yeah sure, whats up?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Woahhhhhhh love it! I heard/read it was gonna be a series! Yayyy! Suggestion: When you did the italics part, after the "..." you didn't capitalize the letter. Ex. "I was having a good dream! It's so late, what could be causing this noise..." she crankily mumbled to herself." Before she crankily, there is a period, so the S should be capitalized. Can't wait for part 2!!!

Reply

B. W.
01:49 Mar 20, 2021

Thanks so much, I'm glad you liked it and I'll try to fix that part soon ^^ did ya maybe have a favorite part in the story or a favorite character? It may take a while to get part 2 out though, I'll need to find a good prompt.

Reply

Yes! I loved the start! It was just fill of description. I loved how you said that everyone was sleeping, and how she got awoken by the "noise."

Reply

B. W.
02:01 Mar 20, 2021

What do you think about Artio?

Reply

She's a cute & adventurous girl.

Reply

B. W.
02:30 Mar 20, 2021

What's something you'd want to see happen in the next part at some point? Any suggestions?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:25 Mar 20, 2021

Oo nice story! I'm assuming there will be a continuation? This story gave me Tarzan vibes, except minus the whole screaming from the trees and slapping your chest xD "Davina, a young Fawn, eventually had enough of all the noise though. "Come on, all I want is to sleep...I was having a good dream! It's so late, what could be causing this noise..." she crankily mumbled to herself." It might be best if you entered the new dialogue on a new space. "Hm yes it could count as an adventure if you'd like, now come on let's go!" Comma should be pla...

Reply

B. W.
01:45 Mar 20, 2021

Yeah, this is going to be a new series that I'm doing, and I'm glad that you liked it ^^ I'll probably go try to fix some of that stuff later when I can, though thanks for pointing it out. Did you maybe have a favorite part or character in it?

Reply

02:34 Mar 20, 2021

Solo and Davina were definitely my favorite characters, I liked how Solo scared Davina at the beginning lol. As for favorite part, probably when they set out for the adventure

Reply

B. W.
03:29 Mar 20, 2021

So what do ya think about Artio?

Reply

17:37 Mar 20, 2021

Artio is very adventurous! She's another great character!

Reply

B. W.
17:44 Mar 20, 2021

Is there something you'd wanna see happen in the next part?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:08 Mar 21, 2021

New thread. Maybe. It could also be about April Fools.

Reply

B. W.
02:12 Mar 21, 2021

Like just things related to pranks then?

Reply

02:21 Mar 21, 2021

Yea maybe. Or maybe ones about spring showers.

Reply

B. W.
02:24 Mar 21, 2021

What else?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:00 Mar 22, 2021

New thread. Ofc! Which do you want to start with?

Reply

B. W.
00:48 Mar 22, 2021

The sick character that needs to have the flower before something happens to them

Reply

15:15 Mar 22, 2021

Hmm, maybe the flower is a healing flower or smth?

Reply

B. W.
15:37 Mar 22, 2021

No, I need help with the actual character. And yeah I like the idea that the flower can heal and all that.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy Mayeaux
01:45 Jul 06, 2021

This is so cute, and has a bit of nostalgia when bringing up some of these fairytale aspects. I fell in love with the dragon, Solo, leaving me excited with how much really goes on in the story. (Is there magic? Are there elves? Fantasy forest?) I liked how everything went, with the value of a found-family underlining the cast of characters. Watch out for adverbs! You used the words, 'enough,' and 'almost' numerous times in this piece. It was fine, but make sure not to use them as a 'crutch' for your story. (When editing, search for these...

Reply

B. W.
20:59 Jul 08, 2021

I know I haven't made a story in a while on here, but I will eventually make a part 2 for this, and I hope that you'll enjoy it :) Solo was probably one of my favorite characters to do for this part, and I'll probably do some more stuff for him in the next one along with another character. And thanks for the advice, I dunno why, but I just like using those words a bit frequently. Well you mentioned it, and I also mentioned it in my previous comment if you see it, but I still love the whole 'Found-family' type stuff ^^ And so there'll definit...

Reply

Amy Mayeaux
05:04 Jul 11, 2021

Yes, yes, yes, I can't wait to see more of it! As I just mentioned minutes ago, I love the trope, so writing about it is always a win in my book. I could see you doing that for Solo, maybe a side-story kinda. I always enjoy quirky side character who hold a little depth, so I will enjoy whatever you may decide about him (and any other character for that matter). Yes, of course, no worries! I always love thorough feedback, so I often reciprocate it to others who may value it as much as I do. Think of it like this: I would much rather someon...

Reply

B. W.
16:28 Jul 11, 2021

Like if I did a story completely for Solo, maybe it could be about his past, and how he met the others and all of that? Or maybe something completely different, and something really cute, like maybe him having to take care of a baby Artio, like when they first found her.

Reply

Amy Mayeaux
03:22 Jul 15, 2021

Ooh you have to be careful about past flashbacks and such, with the details and all that. I like the idea, but if you are going to do it you will have to plan, while looking back at your old work to make everything fit. Side stories are always cute! That would be fun, for sure, to read as well. Maybe they have an inside joke and it stems from that short story. (Hahaha, a dragon babysitting a human, that surely sounds interesting.)

Reply

B. W.
23:00 Jul 15, 2021

I will say this about the whole group, Artio is like the little sister and Solo was like the older and slightly protective brother, though only when she was a baby. Davina is of course the older sister, and Rio is like the cousin. And honestly- I'm gonna give you more little facts about the characters, mostly because these wont be said in other parts: 1. Baby Artio only calmed down when Solo was there with her, and out of the three of them, little Artio preferred Solo for some reason. Though they still all took care of her. 2. Davina and Sol...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

GIRLLLLLLL (or I’m not sure if I should call you that but I call everyone that so-) WE HAVEN’t talked in forever ack hullo

Reply

B. W.
20:28 Jul 03, 2021

Yeah, I kinda realized that too and was wanting to talk with ya, but I've been doing a lot of stuff. How have you been doing? I got a lot of good news about some stuff ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:28 Jun 29, 2021

B, your writing is improving SO MUCH! There were barely any grammar mistakes in this piece, and the description and character development were on point. Artio's family really is strange but loving, therefore the title is fitting. Will the next parts come out soon? Keep writing! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Ulrich
21:47 Jun 26, 2021

Starting a new thread if that’s ok. I’m doing pretty well. How’s your summer so far?

Reply

B. W.
05:01 Jun 27, 2021

I guess my summer has been going fine so far, I've mostly just been at home relaxing. Though I'm actually going to get a pool soon, so that'll be fun ^^

Reply

Kate Ulrich
18:53 Jun 27, 2021

That’s awesome!! Do you like swimming?

Reply

B. W.
20:30 Jul 03, 2021

Yep, one of my favorite things to do is just go underwater. So whats one of your favorite things about the summer?

Reply

Kate Ulrich
03:56 Jul 04, 2021

Swimming is one of my favorite things too. I also like bike riding and going to the library, which I guess I can do all year but it’s nice to have an empty day and be able to read for hours if I want.

Reply

B. W.
04:30 Jul 05, 2021

Oh, speaking of books, even if it's not going to be published, I recently finished one of them ^^ And I'm already beginning to write the sequel for it. Tbh I always go to the library for mostly horror books, like The Shining.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:58 Jun 10, 2021

How are you? You haven't posted in a while.

Reply

B. W.
04:50 Jun 12, 2021

Oh, I've been doing alright I guess ^^ what about you? And I just haven't felt like making any new stories recently tbh.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.