42 comments

Drama Historical Fiction Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

TW: This story contains themes of abuse and mental health.


You promised…


A voice calls from the half-open door. 

“A quick word, Barbara?”

Judging by the tone of the voices, something’s afoot. 

“Of course.” 

My favourite teacher Mrs Swanson confers with Miss Berry, the school secretary. As they exchange confidences, my unease increases. 


Neither have glanced my way, but something’s definitely rotten in the state of Denmark. I can’t think of anything I’ve done amiss – unless you count my turning up late to school a few times because of “difficulties at home” – a euphemism if there ever was one. You might have thought Mrs Hick, my form tutor, would have been more sympathetic, but apparently not. When she gave me a detention and ordered me to put up all the stools in the lab, it hurt. Even now, the memory stings – it seemed so unfair on top of everything else. When I refused, I was sent to see the Head of something or other to explain. But maybe the lowered voices have nothing to do with me. Whatever it is, I wait for it to to be confirmed.


Here I am standing out for all the wrong reasons. All I want is to blur into the background.

**


The woman sitting in the posh car with the coiffed hair and stylish suit is Mrs Barrett. She’s waiting for me in the school parking area. Which right now, is eerily silent.

She leans over, opens the door. “Step inside, Pam.”

I do, heart hammering.

“Things have come to a head, I’m afraid. As we expected they might.” She taps my arm consolingly.

“Right.” 

 “Don’t worry. We’ve found a place. Your mum will be waiting for you there.”


The time on the dashboard is 2.15. Lessons are in progress till 3. A quick check before we sweep out of the main school gates. The car speeds past shops I often visit during lunch breaks; I’m hit with an acute nostalgia. There’s the gasometer, hardly the most scenic feature of the urban landscape – tugging at me – will I ever get to see it again?  I’m constantly on the lookout, expecting him to appear round every corner. This is going to sound crazy, given the circumstances, but I even find myself feeling sorry for him. Yet, he’s the last person I should be thinking about now. It’s just the part that cares about him. I know he will feel betrayed. You see, this isn’t the first time. Memories swarm, overwhelming me. I mustn’t think like that.

If I do, I’ll never get through this.

**


He was all over Mrs Barrett when she visited my parent’s house after mum called social services. She never admitted she’d called them, but who else could it have been? Once Mrs B had her foot in the door, he put on quite a show offering her cups of tea and the best chicken soup ever. She played along, often saying “Quite,” or “Just so,” but she wasn’t taken in. When she told him she was a few years off retirement, he said he’d never have guessed. Mrs B is a smooth operator. This is all in a day’s work for her, whereas it’s my life. 


Continuing the car ride, the familiar landmarks start to fade. Everything feels different, making me want the journey to last forever. That way, I won’t have to face whatever lies ahead. Before long, we are heading into another town. After passing a row of high street shops and other buildings, we come to a road with a church at one end where she turns right. My stomach churns.

“Soon be there,” she says. “We were lucky to get a place at such short notice.” Another pat on my arm. “Don’t worry. You’ll be safe.”

**


Finally, we draw up at a suburban house. Apart from the hedge at the front, it looks much the same as the neighbouring houses – unless you happen to know it’s the women’s refuge. I will later learn that the first Women’s Aid refuge in Britain opened its doors at Chiswick in 1971 to protect women from domestic violence and help them with the financial problems they faced if they left abusive partners. 


My stomach carries on unpredictably. I’m constantly thinking he’ll jump out of some hedge, but the coast is clear.

“Come on,” she says as we leave the car and head for the front door with no window. 


This is the days before mobile phones. Mrs Barrett announces her presence by rapping on the knocker five times.  

There’s a flurry of activity within. It seems to take forever, but eventually a gap forms in a door held back by two sturdy chains. 

“Yeah?” A woman in a long baggy top stares blankly at us through the gap. 

“Oh dear.” Mrs B raises her eyes, explains who we are.

 A few minutes later, we find ourselves standing in a corridor with a carpet that has seen better days.

“It’s going to be a struggle to find a room for you,” the woman says, and my heart sinks.

“Well, never mind that now.” Mrs B flings open the door to the front room. “Go and sit in there, Pam. I’ll sort things out with Janice. She runs things here now.”

“Janice is in the office with the new lady. She’s in a bit of a state,” the woman explains. 

This is horrible. I think of mum. However bad things get, sometimes it’s easier not to change things. Maybe she shouldn’t have bothered.

I know I don’t mean that.

**

The last time he hurt mum, I got between them. The bruises weren’t visible beneath my clothes, but I was sore for days. He later told me hadn’t meant to hurt me – “usually, you’re such a good girl, but you shouldn’t have got in the way.” Then he made me promise not to tell anyone about what had happened. 

“It’s a private matter. I can’t let you out until you promise. You must promise not to repeat any of this to anyone.”

I promised.

**

A few days after this, mum grabs me as soon as I get in from school.

“I don’t think I can go on much longer.” She’s whispering and crying at the same time.

“Where is he?”

“Popped out to the shops. He could be back any minute. I can’t stay here.”

“Are you sure, mum?” It’s not the first time she’s spoken like this, but my mind leapfrogs at the idea of a better life. A life free from arguing and pain.


If the walls could talk, I wonder what they would make of this latest “betrayal.” Talking behind his back, we are like fish gasping for air. I expect him to appear and put a stop to it. “How long has he been gone, mum?”

“He left twenty minutes ago.”

Too risky to leave now (he might catch us on the way out) and there’s no time to pack anything. Mum gave me some cash the last time we escaped. Knowing he wouldn’t rummage there, I hid it in my tampon packet. “Have you any money?” I ask. 

“I’ve put a bit aside – just in case. I’ve been in touch with Mrs Barrett. I asked her not to call round. Don’t want him getting suspicious.”

“What did she say?”

“She said if things get desperate to call her and she’ll sort something out.”

My heart beats thick and fast. “Mum?”

“Yes.”

“Are you serious about this?”

“Yes. I really think so.”

“It will be too much to go through it all again if you’re not.”

“I am.”

“You promise?”

“Yes.”

**

In the refuge, they keep the front room curtains permanently closed giving it an “us and them” feel. Other than a lumpy settee, some mismatched armchairs, and a scratched coffee table, the only thing of interest is a flickering tv with the volume turned down. People are usually too distracted to watch it properly. I later come across a record player tucked away in some corner and make good use of it.

Mum comes in pale and trembling. I want to hug her but can’t. However awful things have been at home, it was still home. Here, until we get settled, it’s just displacement.

“I got here alright,” I say.

Mum is shaking, even though it’s not cold. “Mrs-B-said-she’d-collect-you.” She sounds like she’s been dragged from underwater which is how she’s lived her life for years. I feel if I touch her, she’ll disintegrate. But she’s been crumbling away for so long, how could I tell? I can’t remember when she last smiled with her eyes. 

“I hope I’ve done the right thing.” She keeps repeating this.

Sometimes her inertia makes me angry. This is no time for doubts.

“Of course you’ve done the right thing.”

“He’ll have been in such a state when he got back from shopping and saw I was gone.” Her body is fragile, wrenched by sobs. It’s hard to believe that body once gave life to me. How could he ever hurt her?

“Why are you so worried about the state he’s in?”

“I feel like I’ve betrayed him.”

Me too, but I’m not going to admit that.

**

A friendly woman with long copper hair and colourful bangles breezes in and places a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits on the coffee table.”

“Hi, I’m Lily,” she says. “There, there Jenny.” She puts her arms round mum. “Cry it out, love. You’ll feel much better for it.” Then, she turns to me. “I know it’s not much fun in here with the curtains closed, but we had a bit of trouble the other night. We don’t want anyone peering in.”

So, the men do know about this place. I’d forgotten about that. Of course, they do. Gaslighters are experts at getting what they want out of women.

I suddenly feel terribly thirsty.”

“We ask the women not to say anything, but…” Lily smiles at mum. “How’s the tea?”

“The tea is fine, but I can’t manage anything else. This is my daughter, Pam.”

“Hi, Pam. Sorry, I should have got you a drink. If you go into the kitchen, you’re bound to find something. It’s at the end of the corridor. Last door on the left. There’s lemonade and coke in the fridge if you don’t fancy tea.”

Its alright. I know the way.

**

It turns out there are no rooms available, so the first night I sleep next to mum on makeshift cushions on the front room floor while she has the settee. I can’t sleep but it feels nice to be close. For once, there are no intrusions, no shouting, no disturbances. Just mother/daughter time together. Feels like heaven. 


It feels even more like heaven when a room becomes available. At the last minute, one of the women says she’s going to give her “old man another chance” so we are given the one she’s been sleeping in with her two young children. We’re considered lucky. It has a nice view of the garden.  There are trees, swings and a slide provided for children. People are queuing up for a place here.


Gradually, I get to know the others in the house, form tenuous friendships. The women come from all walks of life. Some are friendly, others distant, all of them are in pain. One I want to permanently wrap my arms around when she tells me she was repeatedly raped by the man who is the father of her son. I worry there are no good men out there but then remember the male history teacher at school who has always been kind and professional —he helped with my studies when things got tough, told me to keep believing in myself. Some of the women say they hate men; one says everything was fine till she and her partner “tied the knot.” Then it all went downhill because he acted like he owned her. Some have relationships with other women that might or might not turn sour. A few say they have given up on relationships for good. All the talk, however justified, upsets me, because how can couples, whatever their sex, ever make it work? How does it go so wrong and how can the violence be stopped? 

**

Mrs B and the refuge workers are trying their best to help mum. They arrange financial aid, deal with the legal side of things, get a court date sorted and a restraining order to keep him away from me and mum. 


The hardest part is sitting round the long table at the family court. Seeing him there. He keeps looking at me. Then, having to say things when my knees are shaking. How can you measure love and hate and all the bits in between? He has his solicitor present, as does mum. 

What do you want to do? The judge asks me. 

I opt for a quiet life. I want to be with mum. 

How do you feel about your dad?

What kind of question is that? I try my best to answer truthfully. The words come out, rushed and inadequate. 

I do care about him. Of course I do. I just can’t stand the way he treats mum.

**

When me and mum return home to start a life without him, Mum finds out he’s staying in a private hostel. He asks to see me, but I don’t want to.

It takes a while, but gradually mum’s confidence returns. She manages her money well and buys a few bits for the home. She gets rid of all the clutter he insisted on hanging onto. For me, it’s like Spring arriving after a dark winter.  She starts talking of going back to work, something he put a stop to. She encourages me to decorate my room. I get my hair cut and start inviting my friends round without feeling anxious.

A burden has been lifted.

**

One day I’m gazing out of the living room window at the daffodils in the garden. Mum touches my shoulder but avoids eye contact.

“I’ve something to tell you.”

“What?” The chill I feel has nothing to do with the cold.

“I’ve asked him to come back.” 

“What! Why would you do that?”

“He says he’ll change. Try and do better.”

“I don’t understand.”

“He means it this time.”

“But he promised to change last time, and it didn’t happen. Also…”

“What?”

“You’ve been doing so well. You’ve transformed the place. It’s lovely here now.”

“He says he misses us.”

“What made you agree to meet him?”

“You wouldn’t understand. You’re too young.”

“But it’s terrible when he’s around. He tries to control everything you do, and he hurts you if you disobey him. You can’t have forgotten. He wouldn’t even let you go out to the shops without his permission. You’ve made such progress.”

“He’s promised to get help.”

“He said that before. It lasted less than a week and he was back to his old self. Also….” Inside I’m shattering into a thousand pieces — “you’re doing so well. It’ll be like going backwards.”

“I’m sorry, Pam. I don’t expect you to understand. He is my husband. Maybe you’ll see it one day.”

“Mum! After all we’ve been through!” The past six months have been the happiest of my life. It’s been so peaceful. No more arguments.

“I’ve said he can come back next week, Pam.”

My tears are blurring the view from the window, stinging my eyes. 

You promised.

The air outside is chilly. I run into the small garden, snagging myself on a rose bush with closed buds. The daffodils, however, remain defiantly open and the velvet jackets on the magnolia tree are bursting with white flowers. Yet my life seems to have shrunk to a pinprick. Why did I bother painting my bedroom walls a vibrant blue? Will he force me to change the colour? It’s hard to see a way out of this but find it I must. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but soon. If I’m to stand any chance at all. 


But back to mum. It’s true I don’t understand. Maybe one day I will, but right now I’m working on words to express what I feel. What is it?

A sense of betrayal?

That she chose him.

**


To anyone suffering from an abusive relationship, our minds and bodies deserve to be loved and respected. It is possible to break the cycle — providing you can get help. Sadly, for social, economic, and other reasons, not everyone is able to do that.


March 12, 2024 19:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

Isabel Jewell
16:52 Apr 08, 2024

Wow great story! Very interesting read, but you pull on the readers heartstrings!

Reply

Helen A Smith
17:20 Apr 08, 2024

Thank you Isabel for your kind words. I wanted to do just that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shahzad Ahmad
13:36 Apr 02, 2024

What a truly representative tale of the woes of a relationship gone awry, Helen. I kept reading it till the last word. How difficult it is to detach yourself from a relationship and then revise your decisions. The children get sandwiched in between registering a huge emotional scar. The words flow in a rhythm and are quite spontaneous. Well done!

Reply

Helen A Smith
13:52 Apr 02, 2024

Thanks Shahzad. I hope you are well. I’m glad the words sound spontaneous - I spend ages trying to get it to flow, so pleased if it comes across that way.

Reply

Shahzad Ahmad
20:32 Apr 02, 2024

Yes, your story is really gripping and I am doing well with God's grace. Only writing after a long gap. Thanks for asking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:08 Apr 02, 2024

Hi Helen. By the point in the story where your protagonist says this: "All the talk, however justified, upsets me, because how can couples, whatever their sex, ever make it work? How does it go so wrong and how can the violence be stopped?" That's when we see a proposition. That's when I, the reader, think, "Ah, this is what the story is about. We'll see all the ways people struggle with this question, and have some sort of resolution about it at the end." That's not quite what happens though. The way the story goes is, I'm sure, realis...

Reply

Helen A Smith
06:51 Apr 02, 2024

Hi Marcus, You raise some great points here. I liked to think I offered a glimmer of hope with the possibility of the daughter getting away at the end, but it’s by no means certain. In that sense, it’s realistic - like you say. I like your raising the proposition and it perhaps needing to go further for a more satisfying ending. Food for thought. Many thanks for your critique.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
21:52 Apr 01, 2024

Hi Helen, being on holiday I found some time to give You Promised a read. This is certainly a piece with potential; there are many dark thorny issues that would make for an impactful, wait for it, book. At the moment, I feel it straining to go where it needs to. That pesky word count is the problem. I can see from a first read it would benefit from a scene like the family court being enacted, not just narrated. We need to see what a conniving sly bastard he is, worming his way back in. I also think we need to see a scene with mum wavering. I...

Reply

Helen A Smith
07:33 Apr 02, 2024

Oh my goodness Rebecca. You’ve blown my mind a bit here! Thanks for recommending the Maggie O’Farrell book - I intend to give it a read. You have mentioned about counterbalancing before and it’s a valid point. Like you say - word limit can be an issue. Arrrrg!!! I disagreed with the critique for your latest story- I liked the premise. I also love your use of imagery. There’s room for different styles of writing here and it’s good to be experimental. Scary, but good. Obviously, people like different things. I’m so pleased for you about y...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
08:47 Apr 02, 2024

Go for it Helen. The story's live!

Reply

Helen A Smith
09:11 Apr 02, 2024

Great. I’ll check it out after work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:21 Mar 28, 2024

I so identified with Pam's pain. It's the sort of pain that helps you not be codependent when you end up in a similar circumstance as an adult. You have to care about the wellbeing of your child more than you love (have sick dependency for) your abusive spouse. Yet I've known women who do exactly as Pam's mum in a never-ending cycle. It's tragic. Social, economic and psychological issues are the three reasons many women can't make a permanent break. So well written, Helen. I've written a few stories in Reedsy that include mentions of this t...

Reply

Helen A Smith
02:51 Mar 29, 2024

Hi Kaitlyn, Yes, as you point out, it’s a never ending cycle. It seems almost impossible to break it and tragic, especially for the children. Thanks so much for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
23:42 Mar 25, 2024

A great engaging, view of the trauma of domestic violence. I appreciate you discussed the common scenario of the abuser being invited back by the victim. Two people who are good when they are apart but together they create pain and dysfunction. This story, like much of real life has no firm resolution, I only hope Pam finds the words to express her betrayal, and finds a way out. Thanks!

Reply

Helen A Smith
15:23 Mar 28, 2024

Thanks Marty for your helpful and positive comments. I anticipated Pam finding a way out somehow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
20:04 Mar 25, 2024

An Helen…this is so sad. And how well I can relate. Betrayal by those we should be most able to trust is the worst kind IMHO and you certainly captured the pain. Well done. Love your writing style too: easy on the eyes with short paragraphs, plenty of dialogue and lots of “white space” on the page. By the way, don’t know if Mrs. Barrett is a fictional name but I had to chuckle. I’ve just finished uploading my latest children’s book titled “The Little Blogger and her Animalia Project”. Her project was assigned by none other than a Mrs. Barre...

Reply

Helen A Smith
20:35 Mar 25, 2024

How funny about the name! Mrs Barrett is fictional character - I got the name from a shop that no longer exists near my work. However, I have come across people like her. Her character is very distinct and she’s no fool. She certainly needs her wits about her in her work. So glad you like my writing style. I work very hard at it and your good opinion means a lot. I didn’t know you wrote children’s fiction. Is it easy to download?

Reply

Viga Boland
03:14 Mar 26, 2024

Well, the first of THE LITTLE BLOGGER is on Kindle Unlimited if you subscribe. I just uploaded the second book in the series yesterday but didn’t put it on Kindle Unlimited as it means I can’t have the ebook versions anywhere else on the net…even a personal website…if it’s on KU. But each book is only $2.99. Geared to children in primary school ages 6-9. Wrote the first one when my 7 year-old grand-daughter lived with us. She was the inspiration. I also write poetry…or did…decades ago. That’s been the primary project this month i.e a photo/...

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:16 Mar 28, 2024

Hi Viga, Thank you. In the end, I decided to order “No tears for my father” in paperback. I’ve been wanting to read it for a while now. Thanks for your help and take care.

Reply

Viga Boland
14:43 Mar 28, 2024

Oh my goodness, Helen. Thank you so much. I really hope you can handle it. I wasted no words writing that book and, as I advised that Little Blogger (my grand-daughter) I “told it like it is”. I hope it doesn’t trigger you too much if there s any similarity to your past. It’s the one book in the 8 that I’ve written, that I can’t say to a reader, “enjoy”. It’s definitely not enjoyable. Again, thanks so much.

Reply

Helen A Smith
07:25 Apr 06, 2024

Hi Viga, I just wanted to let you know I have started reading your book and am finding it a devastating read, but also strongly written and moving. I’m so glad I purchased it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
11:40 Mar 25, 2024

Very powerful, vivid, immersive story details that stir the reader's feelings and have a strong impact. Well told in a way that increases awareness and raises questions in the mind of the reader. Uncomfortable feelings of dread arise at the end as the reader thinks of what may happen if he comes back. Very well written.

Reply

Helen A Smith
11:58 Mar 25, 2024

Thanks Kristi for your appreciation of my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
10:48 Mar 25, 2024

Such a moving story. I'm a strong believer that Leopards don't change their spots. Beautifully written and emotive, I'd like to hope the daughter is wrong.

Reply

Helen A Smith
10:57 Mar 25, 2024

Thank you Wendy. It was hard to write such a piece. Unfortunately, I have to agree that leopards rarely change their spots. That is - unless it is strongly in their interest to change. I’m so glad you found it moving.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
02:48 Mar 22, 2024

My mom chose him and drove me away on a rainy night. I was still a teenager in high school. I understand the concept of battered women's syndrome, but I fail to feel pity for those who stay or go back after they've escaped. My mom was just as abusive, and I think she enjoyed having me to take all the abuse so she didn't have to because he was a mean asshole. But even when it's BWS, there should be a stronger urge to protect your children than the one that makes you think you need a man... that you need any man no matter how bad he is, just...

Reply

Helen A Smith
05:33 Mar 22, 2024

Hi LeeAnn, Thanks so much for reading and your interpretation of the story. Yes, it’s hard to take and people deal with these things in different ways. It’s vital to escape toxic backgrounds- although they often haunt people many years later. Life is bitterly unfair in that way. Yet we have ultimately to keep searching to find a way to move forward. I’m sorry that you suffered too. It’s hard to understand why mums would put a relationship before their children or get out and then go back to a destructive relationship. I think one of the ha...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
10:53 Mar 16, 2024

Oh goodness this is so sad Helen. It is so hard and I don’t judge the mum for welcoming him back and as you say not everyone feels they are in a position to break the cycle. There is help out there. Thanks for raising such a hard topic!

Reply

Helen A Smith
11:26 Mar 16, 2024

Hi Rebecca, It is a hard topic, but important to raise. Psychologically, damage has taken place and it’s hard to reverse it. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
16:44 Mar 13, 2024

Boy, what is it about these abusive and conrolling men, boys who have never grown up? So typical, '...He later told me hadn’t meant to hurt me – “usually, you’re such a good girl, but you shouldn’t have got in the way.”' The context of blame Wonderful simile: 'Talking behind his back, we are like fish gasping for air.' Great job Helen. Met the prompt and a topic we can't hear enough.

Reply

Helen A Smith
16:52 Mar 13, 2024

Thanks Jack, I think though it’s a painful topic, it needs to be raised. It’s something that matters a lot to me. I appreciate your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
07:41 Mar 13, 2024

Very good story. I hate that women go through that, but I hate it even more that innocent children get caught up in the middle of it. What a world we live in.

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:04 Mar 13, 2024

Yes, it’s a very hard world sometimes. However, people do make it out of terrible situations. Sometimes. Thanks for reading Ty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
07:38 Mar 13, 2024

You should have heard me yell "No !" when it was revealed the mum made the decision to come back. To be honest, if I were the main character, it would have been my queue to pack my bags, head to the shelter, and completely distance myself from both parents. As much as I love my mum, I also value my safety. Either way, a heart-wrenching story full of great detail and a lovely flow. Amazing job, Helen.

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:13 Mar 13, 2024

Hi Stella, I’m glad you liked the flow, You are right what you say, but people turning back into a situation of abuse, even when they’ve had a chance of help, is by no means unusual. It is devastating and so much damage has already been done. It can take years to break the cycle. The saddest thing is children are very much victims in this too. Very much appreciate your reading.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:19 Mar 13, 2024

It is indeed sad. I was just pointing out that it seems like your MC is (and so would I) very much done with the situation, so I'm projecting that she would do something to no longer be subject to her abusive father.

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:24 Mar 13, 2024

Definitely. It is in the MC’s mind to get out as soon as she can. Before it is too late.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:46 Mar 12, 2024

Made so many good points. So hard to understand how one goes back. Sure he promised but what are the chances he'll abide by that.

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:02 Mar 13, 2024

That’s very true, Mary. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.