200 comments

Inspirational Drama Sad

Time stands still, lurking on the edges of our sanctuary. A thief, churning with waves of jealousy unable to be contained. I grimace. Not a single morning goes by without unwanted thoughts plaguing my mind and leaving my malnourished frame shaking with despair.

Your small hand finds its way to mine, and I resist the urge to smile. Of course, you would know. You understood better than most, despite your youth. Time has not been merciful to you either, has it? I hold you close under the protective branches of the weeping cherry tree overhead and watch as the sun blooms on the horizon, gleaming petals of light stretching outward into the rich blue and leaving streaks of brilliant gold in its wake. You snuggle into my embrace and let out a contented sigh. A few minutes of calm, the distant call of a mockingbird and our matching breaths the only noise in this fragile moment.

A butterfly dances by, a whirl of color against the backdrop of an awakening sky. You giggle and run to chase it past the blooms. I watch the two of you play, a flower of the sky playing with a flower of the earth. Both dashing fast in an erratic path, guided by a soundless serenade of the striking spring blossoms.

I sigh. It had been years since I could let my hair down and relax as a human being instead of a human doing. But that was where Time and I stood on different ground. With my grief from watching you came a joy unlike anything I have ever felt. It numbed the weight of responsibility the world had placed on my unprepared shoulders. The future was always something I had worried about, something that had dubbed me the title of “worrywart” years ago. I am not sure if it was because of my growing mind and lack of wisdom, but I never gave thought to the idea that my life was only a speck in the earth’s timeline. I thought I had a long while before I had to stand on my own two feet and be accountable for not only my life but someone else’s as well. So much time that I let it slide through my fingers like sand, so much that I merely watched as it flew across the empty horizon, never to come back. I realized too late that I did have a lot of time, but I had wasted it, always waiting for tomorrow. 

But now, as your dancing brown eyes light up with the rising sun and your cheerful giggles reach my ears, the pressure of unpaid bills, dirty dishes, the laundry, grime-encrusted crevices, and empty cupboards were not the foremost thing in my mind; I was only concentrating on you, a little bundle of laughter and warm hugs, my little bundle of laughter and warm hugs. An angel whose life rested in the hands of a woman who could not take control of her own, a queen whose life rested in the hands of a good-for-nothing peasant. Nonetheless, you were mine, all chubby cheeks and flaxen hair and sticky fingers and goofy grins. And you were not going to go anywhere. I swore to protect you that day, and I keep my promises, no matter what they cost me.

Regardless of everything I had to face prior, I would never have thought that such a promise would cost me my heart.

◽◽◽

The dark, onyx-colored clouds had vanished, as though wisps of vapor, and the water glistened like a quilt of molten silver. My heart aches at the sight of the glittering surface created by the moonlight bathing the cerulean depths of the lake. Our lake. I have to curl my fingers to keep from reaching out to your spot next to me, now empty. You are always on my mind, calling out to me. I long to carry you again, to put my arms around you and never let go. To keep you away from Time, away from everything in this world. Just me and you. I wanted to spend every moment of my life with you, my little one. But someone like you, a soul too pure for this world, could not remain here. Time did not allow it. 

Time. The one constant in the chaos of life. I can lose all that matters, but Time will always follow on my heels, waiting patiently to take me the way it has done to you. I used to be afraid of it. I would try to escape its clutches in an attempt to protect you, thinking that Time was nothing but a thief. I should not have been so naive. Something as old as Time itself would not be satisfied as a mere thief, scrounging for things ignorant people leave behind. No, Time would accept nothing but the very best. A merchant on the hunt for things we do not value enough until it is gone. Like you, my little one. It took me too long to realize that for some of us, today might be our last tomorrow and that Time was finally at our door, not a thief, but a merchant, finally receiving word of the treasure I carried with me day and night but never stopped to give the proper attention and love to. 

At least I have learned my lesson. I am not afraid of Time anymore, for I know it is only a friend. Time has given me deep thought in exchange for my naive subconscious, vivid memories for my diminishing sight, inner beauty for my outside appeal. I await it. I await you. For only when we reunite, my darling, will my sorrow cease.

Until then, I must be patient. I must go on. Like old times, I cross my legs and look ahead of me, your name on my lips. My hand rests on my lap, where your warm weight should have been. There is nothing but moon speckled darkness, but contrary to how it was only minutes ago, it was no longer the kind of utter blackness that swallowed a person whole. It was instead a shadowy world, full of monsters, sure, but also creatures of light. 

Regardless of my pain, Time stands still, waiting for me the way it always did, the way it always does, and the way it always will. But this time, Time does not wait for me alone. Your dazzling smile and vibrant eyes burn in my vision, more brilliant than the twinkling stars overhead. The moon gives me a sense of comfort, too, its soft silvery glow a guide for me in what would otherwise have been a maze of impenetrable blackness, and I know that I will be alright.

November 20, 2020 06:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

200 comments

Avani G
17:29 Nov 20, 2020

The poetic language in here is just beautiful. It fits perfectly with the prompt.

Reply

Ariadne .
06:26 Nov 23, 2020

Tysm!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:05 Nov 20, 2020

Yay, Adrienne! First to comment! I love how Time is a person it this, it's seriously SO cool! This is like a work of poetry, it's so detailed and so beautiful. I seriously think that you deserve to win this!

Reply

16:05 Nov 20, 2020

And I love your bio!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:06 Nov 20, 2020

Also, I love your bio!

Reply

Ariadne .
06:27 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you! Congrats on getting in the top 10, btw!

Reply

18:53 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Ogechukwu Anyaso
17:15 Jan 28, 2021

I like the way it read, I could also feel the emotions the character expressed and it was like I was there. Nice work bravo. I just joined reedsy by the way so hello

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:56 Jan 10, 2021

Hey, Adrienne! We haven’t talked in a while. What’s up, my fellow Wrirate?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya W.
03:59 Jan 09, 2021

Hey Ria, just saying hi! What's up?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
18:05 Jan 01, 2021

Ria can we talk? I've got something to ask you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Izzie Chan
19:56 Dec 29, 2020

Hi Ria! This story was amazing! I would spam the like button a million times if I could, lmao I love how you didn't use any dialogue and rather focused on the descriptions of what happened and the emotions the character felt while it happened. Your story had a sort of poetic element to it that I could honestly never add to my stories. This was beautifully written and I'm really looking forward to more! Also, this is random, but your bio is so aesthetic, lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Raquel Rodriguez
16:31 Dec 23, 2020

Hey, upvote for upvote spree? I'm down about 300 points, oof. These downvoters are getting more vicious...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:44 Dec 11, 2020

Hey, Adrienne, would you leave some feedbacks on my story, I would do the same. I loved your stories and the perspective from a good writer will help me in writing further.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
04:14 Dec 09, 2020

first of all: i took the pottermore (wizarding world) tests again, being completely honest and true and stuff, and here's what i got a Hufflepuff with tiger patronus yup.... what's ur patronus again? ik ur a Gryffindor second of all: did you write the poem in ur bio?

Reply

Ariadne .
20:21 Dec 09, 2020

OMG, the sorting hat has lost its marbles. I'm a Slytherclaw actually; I hardly get Gryffindor anymore. Just Slytherin and Ravenclaw. A doe patronus or snake patronus -- it depends. I did! It's not that good but whatever :)

Reply

Amaya .
21:50 Dec 09, 2020

everyone here is a slytherclawww and me here getting Hufflepuff, which i think actually suits me pretty well. ooh that's coolllll do you think they suit you? do you think mine suits me? ARE YOU KIDDING. I LITERALLY THOUGHT IT WAS PROFESSIONAL GIRL STOP PUTTING THOSE SKILLS DOWNNN its also kinda sad, r u okay?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:55 Dec 07, 2020

I got a new story out ^^ could ya check out "To Catch A Killer" and leave some feedback?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orenda .
07:07 Dec 06, 2020

Riaaa, we haven't talked in a while. At all. How you doin' broo?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
21:57 Dec 04, 2020

How are ya?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
03:13 Dec 04, 2020

ur bio has me v v confused. MY BRAIN CAN"T HANDLE THIS

Reply

Ariadne .
03:02 Dec 06, 2020

Haha, right?

Reply

Amaya .
03:03 Dec 06, 2020

btw there's a different ginny pic that i might change my profile pic to but im not sure...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
03:03 Dec 06, 2020

yepppp

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
23:16 Dec 01, 2020

my bio. go read it? if you want?

Reply

Ariadne .
20:09 Dec 02, 2020

Ooh, that's fun! I have a bunch: summer days with waves lapping at your feet, melting ice-cream, the feel of sand between your toes. sunrises marked by birds chirping their sweet melodious notes telling us of a fresh start. sunsets painting the sky with brilliant shades of red, gold, and orange. springtime flowers blooming, young leaves dotting the bare branches of trees. snowflakes melting in your mouth, snow lining trees to create a magical winter wonderland. butterflies dancing from flower to flower, bees buzzing around to create their...

Reply

Amaya .
20:11 Dec 02, 2020

aw I switched it to something elseee :( but you gave me so many good ones! im keeping them though.

Reply

Ariadne .
20:16 Dec 02, 2020

Aw, I just realized! It's ok. It was fun finding all of that haha BTW, did you write the poem in your bio? Cuz dang, gurl, that's great. <3

Reply

Amaya .
21:36 Dec 02, 2020

I diddd and I'm so happy you like it. I mean, I know I'm not supposed to want validation and stuff for my poetry but that was my first ever one that I posted or showed ANYONE. I mean, my fam still doesn't even know that I sometimes do poetry. Somehow it's easier to show reedsy than to show my family lol. I think it's the whole behind a screen thing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
04:55 Dec 01, 2020

Hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
12:13 Nov 29, 2020

Finally, I have read your story. Wanted to read yours for a long time. Good job on the points. Beautiful and a sad story. The paragraphs were well constructed and I enjoyed this story. The final paragraph is touching and gives the story a mystic ending. Amazingly written. And I think I will read more of your work now. Would you mind reading my new story “Childish dream?” And gives some feedback? Thanks!

Reply

Ariadne .
01:03 Dec 06, 2020

Thank you! Glad you're here now. :)

Reply

Keerththan 😀
05:10 Dec 06, 2020

Welcome. Yeah, if I get time I will read more of yours. But me in very tough situation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
06:12 Nov 24, 2020

Hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
05:08 Nov 23, 2020

This story is 10/10.

Reply

Ariadne .
06:32 Nov 23, 2020

Thanks

Reply

The Cold Ice
07:10 Nov 23, 2020

Welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
07:10 Nov 23, 2020

Hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
05:08 Nov 23, 2020

Hi

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.