0 comments

Romance Happy

"So what's the catch?" Abigail crossed her arms as she wanted to know what she was into for needing help to pass her history class exam. 

" Oh, nothing big just a date with Simon." Monica holds her phone close to her chest as she saw Abigail look shocked. 

" Simon, your brother?! No way!" Abigail turned away as she didn't want to hear any more of it, but Monica quickly stopped in front of her. 

" Oh come on Abby, please. It's just one date, and besides Simon's changed. I mean changed." 

" I don't care if he's changed. What he did last time, as he disappeared on me at prom, and it hurt. When he left for school in New York City was the best decision he ever made." 

" Well if you gave him a chance to explain what happened, you would have understood." 

" Well tough luck, because I don't want to hear the excuse. Now I need to find some other way to pass my exam. " Abigail starts walking away and wants to forget this conversation ever happened.

" You and I both know, there is no one else that you know in your class who took the same teacher for history to pass the exam. So other go on the date tonight with my brother or flunk the exam? Monica said as she knew she was right. 

Abigail stopped in her tracks and looked over to Monica as if she is a good opponent when it comes to conversations, and Monica smirked with confidence. 

Abigail sighed and shrugged. "Alright fine. Where do I meet him?" 

" At Belmont Park. Right in front of the carousel at six o'clock." Monica smiled as if there was something else going on. 

Abigail wasn't sure what was going on but had to go along with it. Like she had a choice in the matter now. 

" You're lucky you are my best friend," Abigail called out as she walks away to her next class. 

" You'll thank me for this!" Monica said yelling out in a happy tone. 

Abigail waved goodbye behind as she kept on walking as she thought about Simon, who she thought she trusted but went wrong.

Later that day Abigail arrived at Belmont Park at 6 o'clock, standing in front of the carousel waiting for Simon to show up. So many people are enjoying themselves, riding the rides, playing games, and just having fun. 

Abigail looks around while hearing all the laughter and excitement from all the people around her that it sure felt nice to hear others' enjoyment, but Abigail wasn't sure if she was going to enjoy the date. 

" I can't believe I'm doing this. I haven't seen Simon in six years since he left for New York, and now this happens." 

Abigail looks around and still couldn't find Simon. He is sure not hard to find since usually dresses kinda dorky in a cute way, with square glasses that sure didn't fit his facial structure and a cute hairstyle that he tries to look like a gentleman. Abigail thought it was cute Simon tries to make a good impression, but not always. 

Ten minutes passed and still no sign of Simon he was probably running late, but Abigail had this feeling that Simon is going to be a no-show, and has made a fool of herself for being stood up. She hears a girl giggling and Abigail looked over to see a happy couple together, holding each other close, and sharing a moment together looked nice, but then Abigail came to realize that Simon's not coming and is best to leave. 

Soon a group of girls that are a few feet away from Abigail giggled so flirtily that they are huddled together weirdly. 

" What on earth has got into them?" 

" Hey, Abigail." A deep male voice said right behind her that Abigail turns around to see an unrecognizable Simon. 

He did not look like Simon at all. He looked like a younger version of Fabio from his book covers, but with better glasses on him, and wearing a brown leather jacket. 

"Simon?" Abigail couldn't believe her eyes that it was the same guy she cared for. 

"Yes?" Simon was a little confused about what was going on with Abigail. 

" I’m sorry, I"m just surprised. I didn't even recognize you," she said as Abigail starts to notice more ladies staring at Simon and feeling insecure. 

Simon started to notice as well, that he comes close to Abigail holds her close in his arms. Abigail felt a little off guard, but the warm and gentle hug from Simon started to make her feel calm and protected. Abigail didn't want to let go of Simon as she listens to his heartbeat and her insecurities went away. 

Simon and Abigail pull away and took a breather as they still held each other's hands. 

" Are you alright?" Simon asked as he felt concerned for Abigail. 

"Actually, yes. I feel much better. Thank you."

" You're welcome. So now that everything is alright how about we start the night by riding the carousel?" 

" I think that's a lovely idea." Abigail took Simon's arm and walks over to the ticket booth. 

Abigail saw the prices for the tickets and looked a little much, but at the same time, it was nice to enjoy a place that was right next to the beach. She was about to get money out of her purse until Simon stopped her. 

" Allow me, a lady should never pay for the date." Simon gets his wallet out of his pocket and goes to the ticket window. 

"Two-day passes please," he said as he pays for the passes for both of them. 

" Wow, Simon that's really nice of you. You didn't have to do that." Abigail felt so flattered since the last time she went out on a date, her date was sneaking glances on his phone to watch a football game.

" Well, I want to. Also, I never told you that you look lovely tonight." Simon said genuinely as he could see that Abigail blushes a little on her cheeks. 

" Oh um..thank you, but I'm just wearing a red lace blouse, jeans, and ankle boots." She said as Abigail looked at herself with no confidence. " While you look like you just did a photoshoot for a magazine." 

" Well thank you, but I still think you look lovely. You shouldn't doubt yourself." Simon didn't want Abigail to feel down about herself since it was his own fault for what happened in high school. 

" I'm sorry Simon, I'm just still getting used to the fact that you transformed, and I have not changed at all," Abigail said as she walks with Simon to the rides. 

" Oh, you've transformed as well. You just don't see it." Simon looks over to Abigail and the truth. 

" Like what?" Abigail crosses her arms as she waits for Simon's answer, but wasn't sure if she wanted to hear it. 

" Well from what Monica told me that you took a couple of years off to take work because your family's event planning business wasn't doing well, and once it got better you went back to school and you're at the top ranks of your class except for this history class you're taking." 

" Yeah, and the only way...wait a minute I only told about that class to Monica over an hour ago how.." Abigail figured it out when she and Monica talked and Monica was texting on her phone. 

" Monica was texting you, to say us up didn't she?" 

" Well, it was more of my idea. She told me that you were having trouble at school and I thought I could take you out on a date." 

" I can't believe you did this" Abigail is furious that this is happening right now.

" If I would've called you, would you have picked up?" Simon stopped Abigail in her tracks as he looks at her in the eyes he could see Abigail wanted to say something, but Simon was right. She wouldn't have answered him if he called. 

" I know you're still mad at me for what happened at prom. You thought I left you there, but I didnt. When you left for the powder room I went to my locker to get your present that I've been saving but before I could get to you my friends cornered me if I was so lucky to have you as my date. I kept trying to leave but they wouldn't let me. Once I tried to find you, you were gone. I was glad that you got home safely, and wanted to explain what happened but you shut me out." He started into Abigail's eyes as she could see that Simon is telling the truth and felt such a fool for not giving him a chance to explain. 

" Oh my gosh, Simon I'm so sorry. I was so caught up in my own head and feeling that I didn't think about yours. Can you ever forgive me?" 

" There's nothing to forgive, Abigail. Oh, and I have something for you." 

Simon pulls a box of jewelry out of his jacket pocket and opens the lid to show a blue butterfly cameo necklace. Simon takes out the necklace from the box, comes right behind Abigail, and places the necklace around her neck. 

" I've been wanting to give this to you since prom." Once Simon attached the necklace from both ends he looked at Abigail looking more beautiful than ever. 

" Oh, Simon it's beautiful. What did I do to deserve this?" Abigail couldn't stop tearing up with so much kindness from Simon that she feels she didnt deserve this. 

Simon comes closer to Abigail and wipes her tears away from his handkerchief then puts it away. 

" Shh... it's alright. Breathe Abby. You do deserve this because I still love you." 

" You love me?" Abigail is surprised to believe that all these years he still loves her. 

" Yes. I felt terrible for not trying hard enough to tell you how I felt about you. A real man doesn't walk away." 

" It's okay. I guess we both made mistakes that we needed to be made amends for. So do you still want to go on the carousel?" 

Simon smiled as he is glad that things are alright now, and looking forward to this date. 

" I couldn't think of anything better." Simon takes Abigail's hand and walks together to the carousel ride.

The line was a bit long, but it only took five minutes to get on the ride. Once Simon and Abigail came on the ride, they found a bench to sit together, and attached the belt together. Once the customers got on the carousel, the road started to move. Hearing laughter from children and adults made the date even more wonderful. Abigail looked up seeing all the light lit up all around her made her feel like a kid again that she couldn't wait to enjoy her time with Simon and he made sure of that. 

After the carousel ride was over Simon helped Abigail out of the ride and walked out to the exit. He took Abigail to more of the attractions to have the best date ever. They rode the roller coaster, bumper cars, and the tilt-a-whirl that sure made Abigail laugh and smiled the whole time that this couldn't get any better. Simon got an idea and decides to take Abigail to the carnival game and decides to play Down the Clown. Abigail pays her fee, got some sandbags, and tries to knock them down but couldn't knock one down. 

" Darn it." Abigail felt a little down but did her best of trying. 

" Here let me try." Simon gives his entry fee from his pass, the game is set, and he takes off his jacket and places it on the game counter showing off his flex biceps. Simon starts throwing the sandbags one by one as he knocks down each clown at a time, which made a group of young women notice how hot Simon looks as he throws the sandbags. Abigail started to feel annoyed by them and wanted to leave. 

" Abby? Are you alright?" Simon asked as he won the biggest teddy bear prize in the booth, as he then noticed Abigail looked upset because of the young women that looked like mean girls trying to get Simon's attention which gave him another idea. 

Simon places the teddy bear on the counter, takes ls Abigail by the waist, cups her cheek, and kisses her lips softly as the spark of their love has ignited once more. 

Abigail pulls back to look Simon in the eye as they didnt notice the mean girls walking away annoyingly, that nothing else matters right now. 

" Simon, there's something that I haven't told you yet." 

" What is it?" 

" I still love you too." Abigail smiled and pulled Simon in for another kiss Simon kisses her back with full happiness. 

After a minute of sharing their love for each other Simon holds his love in his arms for a moment longer as he didnt want things to end. 

" You know, there is something I'm also curious about." Abigail looked up at Simon with curiosity. "How or what made you decide to become so built?" She asked since she knew Simon would never change himself unless there was a good reason. 

" Well to answer that question, let's go sit down at Beach House to relax for a bit." 

" I think that's a good idea but first. I think this bear deserves a good home." Abigail takes the bear off the counter, saw a family with two kids, and takes the bear to the family. 

Simon watches Abigail give the giant teddy bear to the father of the family as the two children jumped up and down with excitement for their new bear. Simon felt so lucky to be with Abigail again that time never went away even though it did. Abigail walks back to him as he grabbed his jacket, held out his hand, and took Abigail's hand into his as they walk to Beach House. 

It took Abigail and Simon a few minutes to arrive at Beach House and found a nice spot to sit down right next to a fire pit. Once they both sat down next to each other Simon took a breath and is ready to talk. 

" When I was away for school in New York in my sophomore year, I was mugged. I haven't told anyone this yet. This guy came out of nowhere while I was on my way back to my dorm from the New York City library. I tried to defend myself, but it didn't go well. Got beaten up pretty badly, all my cash and cards were gone, my school bag was stolen, and all I had left was my phone and the clothes on my back. Luckily I hid my phone "in my pants" so the guy couldn't take it from me. After getting checked out from the hospital I felt so scared and angry about not being able to defend myself, and might not be able to defend anyone else, even you. So after I recovered, I took defense classes, went to the gym, worked on a meal diet while the last of my growth came in and now I'm here with you in my arms sitting by a roaring fire." 

Abigail was speechless at what Simon had to say about what happened and felt so terrible that she wish there was some way she could've known to help him, but couldn't do anything since she didn't know. 

" I uh... Simon I.." 

" Hey, don't worry about it. I'm alright now. I've graduated to be back home with a business degree, got a job as a business partner with your family's business as a surprise for you, and hopefully one day we can start a new future for the both of us." Simon felt serious that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Abigail. Not just to make up for the lost time they didnt have but also ones what is waiting for them in the future. 

" Can you promise me something?" She asked as she hoped to hear a good answer.

" I'll do my best, of what you are asking." Simon wasn't sure what Abigail is going to ask but will still answer the question. 

" When you actually "know" when you want to have that future with me, you make sure to ask " both" of my parents for their blessings. Since my parents want to make sure I'm with the right man to earn it." Abigail said as if she was not joking at all. Business is one thing, but when it comes to marriage it is a very big deal. 

Simon couldn't help but smile and chuckle at the same time that this was something that he is happy to hear. 

" That is an absolute promise I attend to keep because I'll do whatever it takes to earn their blessings for your hand." 

" I'm counting on it." 

The End.

March 10, 2023 20:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.