1 comment

Fiction

A longtime friend of the family named Olivia visits a woman named Violet to spend the day together. They grew up together, but Olivia has moved away, but returns every few years to visit. It is a beautiful spring day, and after lunch they take a walk. They walk by a park they played at as children and decide to walk through the park. 


The park has a few swing sets, seesaws, a jungle gym with a slide, a merry-go-round, a sandbox, and various cement structures that kids can climb over or walk through. There are also a few picnic tables, a small covered area for shade and shelter, and a couple of grills. It is mostly used by families in the neighborhood. Every once in a while it is used to host a birthday party or family gathering.


During the summer months, an ice cream truck makes a stop at the park where it is greeted by a number children who eagerly wait to buy an ice cream treat or frozen candy bar. It is on old park, but has been maintained over the years. 


There are only a few other visitors at the park that day. The two women walk through the park and stop at one of the swing sets. They try swinging on them for a few minutes before walking towards the seesaws.


Violet sits on the seesaw on the side that is resting on the ground to tie her shoe. As she is tying her shoe, Olivia says, “Let’s see if it still works.”


Violet gets up from the seesaw and lifts the bottom portion so it is positioned in midair. Olivia moves to the other side of the seesaw to hold the other side of the seesaw in midair. Violet lifts her left leg over the seesaw and waits for Olivia to lift her right leg over her side of the seesaw. They then both sit onto seesaw and wait to see whose side lands to the ground. Violet’s side lands to the ground and says “This scale doesn’t lie.” She then uses her legs to push off from the bottom ground so Olivia’s end can reach the ground. 


They rotate positions a few times on the seesaw switching who is in the up position and who is in the down position. After a few rotations and Olivia reaches the ground, she pauses momentarily to stop the momentum of the seesaw. She looks up to Violet who is in the up position on the seesaw and asks, “What is troubling you?” before pushing off the ground to rise into the up position while Violet is moved to the down position.


When Violet reaches the down position, she pauses momentarily and asks, “Why do you ask?” before pushing off the ground to return back to the up position.


When Olivia reaches the down position, she says, “I don’t know. You seem quieter than usual and a little more pre-occupied like something is bothering you.” She then pushes off the ground to return back to the up position.


When Violet reaches the down position, she says, “We got an offer for the store.” She then pushes off the ground to return back to the up position.


When Olivia reaches the down position, she says, “You did. That’s great. Are you going to accept it?” She then pushes off the ground to return back to the up position.


When Violet reaches the down position, she says, “I don’t know. It’s not that easy of a decision. We’ve had the store for a long time.” She then pushes off the ground to return back to the up position.


Violet’s family runs a family store in the main area of the town. It’s a small gift store. Her grandparents opened the store many years ago. It was originally used as a general store where people would come in for fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, bread, pantry items such as flour, sugar, and coffee, canned goods, and candy. 


The store has evolved overtime into a modern store that is known for its fresh bread, jams and jellies, cheese, and a wide assortment of gift and novelty items. They are known to feature foods and art from farmers in the area and artists. The store was eventually renamed “The Family Store” during one of the renovations. It is a popular destination for people in the town as well as visitors. Violet is the store’s bookkeeper and other family members work in the store.


When Olivia reaches the down position she says, “What does everyone want to do?” She then pushes off the ground to return back to the up position.


Violet says, “It’s mixed. It’s our livelihood. It’s been in the family for generations. It’s hard to imagine our life without the store.” She then pushes off the ground to return back to the up position.


They continue their conversation in this manner as they discuss the details of the offer pausing to speak while in the down position before using their legs to push off the ground to move to the up position.


When they are finished discussing the details of the offer, Violet slowly stands up from seesaw to move it to the middle position and waits for Olivia to stand and place her legs on the ground in the middle position. Violet lifts her left leg behind the seesaw and holds the seesaw in place as Olivia moves her right leg behind the seesaw. Violet then places her side of the seesaw on the ground.


They continue walking through the park. They walk around a small pond that has a small bridge that is a favorite place for people to use to walk their pets. On each side of the path there are a variety of trees and flowers. They take a few pictures of some of the flowers. They also notice the colorful butterflies flying around them.


As they leave the park, Violet says, “Fortunately, we have some time to think about it. The decision doesn’t have to be made right away. If you have time, come by the store tomorrow. We are now offering Mrs. Daisy’s Delectables for limited time. You have to try one.”

April 13, 2024 23:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rabab Zaidi
01:35 Apr 21, 2024

Intriguing and interesting. Fine way to tell Violet has no intentions of selling the store !

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.