71 comments

Fantasy Drama Suspense

Two specks traveled across a sea of white. Two, one dark and one light, together they moved through a horizon of snow. Two girls ran for their lives.


Before, a wall of red blocked their way. Behind, a wave of scarlet swiftly closed in. Around, the jaws of crimson slowly tightened. Nearing the barrier, the two girls skidded to a stop.


The first was a girl of dark black hair and seemingly similar colored eyes. Raven her name, demon by fame. Slightly cowering behind was Alynthi, hair the color of pale gold and icy blue eyes.


Together they gasped for air, winded from the escape. A shared look told all that was needed, breath too precious for words. 


The only way through is through. Find the weakest link. Stay close.


But in their hesitation, valuable time was wasted. The crimson was almost upon them.


In fear, Alynthi let out a little squeak, but Raven grabbed her arm and led them onward into the incoming enemy. The little girl bit her lip and followed, straining to keep up with her friend.


Wide eyes full of anxiety gazed at the army ahead. Breathe. Inhale. Exhale. They could do this. 


As reality sank in, a whole new side of Alynthi was revealed. Gone was the terrified youngster a moment before. Here was the viscous demon (albeit still a bunny) fighting for their lives. The girl set her jaw and cleared at the scarlet wave before, matching Raven’s fiery vengeance with an icy hate of her own. They would not stop here.


Forward. Forward. Forward. All at once, the three forces collided. crimson before. crimson behind. The two trapped in the middle. The girls were soon enveloped in the sea of red. There, they let their true colors show . . .


With a resounding roar, Raven unleashed her fury in a the form of her gift. Pyro. Fire. Flames licked at her hands, scarring the face of one who came too near.


Equally dangerous (though a bit less controlled), little Alynthi struck out with hers. Cryo. Ice. Shards of said elements were hurled at all she could reach.


Together, the two girls fought bravely, back-to-back. With arcs of fire felling dozens and spears of ice, dozens more, the sea of crimson slowly gave way. With all their force focused at one point, the ranks were thinning. They seemed to be breaking through. 


But, like all epic battles, victory wouldn’t come that easy . . .


Only amateurs in their abilities, Raven and Alynthi were soon tiring. The began to lose control. At the end of their energy, they slowed. But the crimsons did not.


Again and again they moved up to take the fallen’s places. There seemed no end . . .


Raven’s fire started to overtake her, burning all it could reach. She could not tame it. It was too far gone. Hands as scarlet as the surrounding enemy, Raven fought back the urge to scream. Scream in fury. In pain. In hate. In defeat.


But she could not. There was Alynthi. Covered in frost from her unleashed power, she pressed on through the biting cold. If the demon bunny could go on, so would the demon herself. But it was too late . . .


With a howl of pain, Alynthi fell to her knees, an arrow having pierced her leg. Furious beyond recognition, Raven lashed out with newfound energy. A whirlwind of fire erupted around the two, providing them a moment of respite. A wall of flame holding out the scarlet. The two huddled in the eye of the storm.


A startled cry and the arrow was removed. Raven gently helped Alynthi to her feet, love for her friend evident in the dark eyes. Carefully yet swiftly, Raven slung Alynthi’s arm over her shoulders as the little girl gasped in pain. But now was no time to stop.


Together they managed a few staggering steps, but all at once, the firestorm receded. Raven’s energy was nearly spent. 


But they were so close. The river was just up ahead. The river. Their goal. Their freedom. Just up ahead, yet bordered by the crimsons. There was no way through but through. 


A death wish.


Yet they had nothing left to lose. 


And all to gain . . .


 Onward they went. 


Raven took a few of the approaching crimsons down with well-aimed fireballs. The rest seemed to be milling around in a confused mayhem. Thankfully for the girls.


But they were tired. Oh so tired. Raven sagged under Alynthi’s weight as it was all the little girl could do to keep from crying out at every jarring step. 


Almost there. Almost there. Almost th-


A shout and a new assault was launched at the two. This one, they could not fight off. Unless . . . 


Alynthi pulled them to a stop and faced the crimsons, leaning almost entirely on Raven for support. Here goes nothing . . . 


The girl closed her eyes and the snow around them began to swirl. Around and around it twisted, wind howling with a vengeance. Alynthi’s outstretched hands finally dropped and the storm instantly ceased. Sitting there, between the crimsons and they, was a . . . snowman? 


Oops. A look that could only be described as sheepish invaded Alynthi’s eyes as everything paused to stare at her creation. Suddenly remembering what was going on, she pulled Raven away and they staggered away as fast as possible. 


A roar echoed from behind. Raven glanced back and eyes widened. Demon snowman. Alynthi’s little snowman had waged a war of its own and could no longer be called what it was. More like a snowmonster now.


But not all were preoccupied with fighting the beast. A section had broken away and were now back on their trail. And gaining fast.


As hard as they tried, Alynthi with her leg could not move any faster than a slow walk. The crimsons were at a full-on sprint. 


Oh please . . . 


Raven felt Alynthi give way, eyes closed. She was done. The snowmonster had taken too much out of her and now it was all Raven could to to help her move.


Almost there. 


She looked up, eyes determined. 


The river was just up ahead. They were nearly there. But so were the crimsons. 


Almost there. Almost there. 


With a start, Raven noticed the river icing over. She glanced at Alynthi, but the little girl was on the verge of collapsing. It couldn’t be her... Could it?


But across the river stood another group. Clothed in white they were, almost invisible against the snow. They seemed . . . different . . . in some way.


Almost there. Almost there. Almost there.


Raven gave them no more thought than a quick glance. She had Alynthi to think about. The crimsons were almost upon them. 


Suddenly . . . They were gone . . .


Never looking back, the girl of fire knew only that they had a chance. A hope. 


At the river’s edge, she paused a moment, looking out over the ice. Was it strong? Would it hold?


There was no time to know. The sounds of battle grew ever nearer. 


With a deep breath, Raven took a step forward.


Onto the ice. 


Over the border. 


Raven and Alynthi were finally free.


They had finally returned home . . .

January 22, 2021 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

71 comments

My gosh...this is such an amazing suspense. Your story kept me eager and endlessly waiting for what's gonna happen next. Lovely job!

Reply

23:22 Jan 22, 2021

Aw, thank you! :D

Reply

Your welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
23:12 Jan 22, 2021

Ginger. Tell. Immediately. When you have new story. I LARBED THIS SO MUCH BUT YOU NEED MORE DIALOGUE!!! GREAT JOB!!

Reply

23:24 Jan 22, 2021

Oops— Well only if you tell me when you have one too! :D “LARBED.” That is so gonna be a new word... XD YAY! YEA, I KNOW... WHAT DO YOU MEAN ‘MORE’? I DIDN’T HAVE ANY! XD THX!!!

Reply

. .
00:07 Jan 23, 2021

I WILL!!! ALSO YES IT IS!!!

Reply

00:36 Jan 23, 2021

XDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
18:10 Feb 04, 2021

I gotta say..this title?? OUT OF THIS WORLD honestly, omg i loved everything about this story as well as the suspense, the lack of dialogue... I LARB!! -N

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:11 Feb 04, 2021

it needed another comment bc I LARBED IT SO MUCH

Reply

19:39 Feb 04, 2021

Aw, thanks! I seriously thought of that title at 2AM... XD oOoOo! Thank you! OMG, LARB! XD

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:46 Feb 04, 2021

Yesss no problem!! YES LARB!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Salma Jarir
12:52 Jan 29, 2021

OMG !! THERE'S SO MUCH SUSPENCE IN THIS STORY ^_^ can't wait fr more !!!

Reply

14:43 Jan 29, 2021

Aw, thanks! :D But unfortunately... I’m not gonna do another part! I will almost never do a second part/continuation of a story. Ends in a cliffhanger? It stays a cliffhanger. XD Sorry!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
17:02 Jan 26, 2021

Hey Fearless!! This was a really interesting story, and I thought the suspense was amazingly formatted to fit not only your style, but the prompt!!

Reply

19:15 Jan 26, 2021

Aw, thank you! :D I was actually half-asleep while writing it, so the plot line isn’t that good... XD But I’m glad you liked it!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:16 Jan 26, 2021

ahah - the best stories come from those half-asleep-written-stories XD and yeah! it was so cool!! :D

Reply

21:09 Jan 26, 2021

Haha! XD Yes, yes they do. XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassandra Durnin
21:43 Jan 25, 2021

Amazing! Well done, ‘Ginger’ ;)

Reply

22:23 Jan 25, 2021

Aw, thanks! ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:49 Feb 25, 2021

WOW.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi Ginger! Wow, such a wonderful story. Loved every detail put into this<333 Great work!!!

Reply

23:54 Jan 27, 2021

Heyo! Aw, thanks! :D

Reply

Anytime!!!! Mind checking out my story? It'll mean a ton <33

Reply

23:58 Jan 27, 2021

Of course! Heading over now! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
13:36 Jan 27, 2021

Ok, how are you not a bestselling author yet?????????? I swear if you ever publish a book I will def buy it. THIS STORY WAS SO DARN GOOD OMG THE WAY IT WAS WRITTEN WAS WONDERFUL, AND THAT TITLEEEEEEE IS SOOOOOO BEAUTIFULLLLLL And it was all under 3000 words?!?!??!?! This deserves a WIN!!!!!!!!!

Reply

15:42 Jan 27, 2021

XD Maybe because I’ve never actually finished anything? JK, JK! I’m seriously not that good. XD But THANK YOU! :D Aw, thx! (I honestly thought the whole thing was pretty lame? I mean, I wrote that super late at night when I was half-asleep. Half the sentences don’t even make sense... XD) Yep! 1,195 words exactly! I was straining to reach the thousand mark. XD AWWW! THX! :D

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:46 Jan 27, 2021

XDDD NOOOO YOU AREEEEEE OMG NOOO IT WAS NOT LAME AT ALLLLLLLL I LOVED IT SO MUCHHHHHHH :D it's quite hard to write a fantasy story in under 3000 words, especially since I really understood what was going on SO THAT WAS REALLY REALLY IMPRESSIVE I SPEAK ONLY THE TRUTHHHHH

Reply

16:19 Jan 27, 2021

HEHEHE. NOOO, I’M REALLY NOT... HAVE YOU EVEN READ YOUR OWN STORIES? XD WELL I BET I COULD DO BETTER IF I TRIED, BUT I’M TOO LAZY TO... XD Oh really! I tend to barely make the mark on all my stories. XD Short and concise is more my thing. Then ya don’t have to explain a bunch of stuff and it feels a bit more cliffhangery. (NEW WORD! XD) Anyways, THANK YOU! You don’t even know how much that means to me! :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
17:01 Jan 27, 2021

YESSSS YOU AREEEEEEEEEEE You are already SO GOODDDDDDDD XDDD YAS CLIFFHANGERY OFC!!!!!! :D

Reply

17:42 Jan 27, 2021

AW, WELL THANK YOU! :D BUT YOU’RE TOTALLY AMAZING TOO!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

GENSHIN IMPACT?????????????????????????????????

Reply

00:37 Jan 23, 2021

HM? I KNOW THE GAME, BUT WHADDYA MEAN???

Reply

00:39 Jan 23, 2021

OHHHHH. XD WELL ACTUALLY I DIDN’T EVEN THINK OF THAT. I JUST WENT WITH THE SHORTER FORMS OF PYROKINETIC AND CRYOKINETIC. XD

Reply

OH WOW I was looking for anemo XDDD

Reply

01:25 Jan 23, 2021

XDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:53 Mar 23, 2021

HEY HEY HEY! How are you? Question: Are you a Genshin Impact fan? (I mean, I’m guessing so, but just checking.) Well, if you are, a writer by the name of Ethan Vacacas just posted a Genshin fan story about the Windblume festival! (I can give you the link if ya want! :D)

Reply

16:30 Mar 23, 2021

NEVER MIND! XD Ethan said you already stopped by. Hehe... But anyways, how’re ya doin’? I feel like I haven’t talked with you in foreeever. XD

Reply

YESSS I AM LOL- Great XD ME TOOO AND THEN THE CONVO JUST DISSAPEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS HHH XD

Reply

16:37 Mar 23, 2021

HEHE... COOL! I KNOWWWWW! XDDD I SOMETIMES LOOK THROUGH COMMENTS, AND CONVOS ARE ALWAYS AWKWARDLY ABANDONED... XD

Reply

XD lol me tooo what are your fav genshin impact charaters?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Radhika Diksha
17:05 Apr 06, 2021

Such a beautiful story, i regret not reading it before. You described the plot at very best. Great work. Nice end.

Reply

17:50 Apr 06, 2021

Oh, thank you! I honestly didn’t think it was all that good, but so many people, are telling me that love it, so...? XD

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:56 Apr 06, 2021

Yeah it was pretty good. I would love your opinion on my diss track.

Reply

15:43 Apr 07, 2021

Aw, well thank you! Of course! Checking it now-

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
17:59 Feb 22, 2021

I just have to say this- I LOVE THE NAME ALYNTHI!!!!!! It's BEAUTIFUL!!! The entire story was SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the whole concept and the way you described everything at the beginning. PERFECTION!!!!

Reply

19:31 Feb 22, 2021

Aw, THANK YOU! :D It’s prooobably one of my favorite names now... XD Oh, thx! (I honestly didn’t think this story was all that good, so...?)

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:35 Feb 22, 2021

I LOVED it!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
19:35 Feb 22, 2021

I LOVED it!!!

Reply

21:42 Feb 22, 2021

Oh, cool! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
01:35 Feb 19, 2021

ViCtoRy Is OuRs! Apparently its a challenge where you say it to someone and then have them pass it on. I got it from luna who got it from sapphire who got it from kate who got it from jade who got it from emerald sorry this is really random XD p.s. this story is amazing!!!!! the names were ALSO amazing, and the descriptions were superrrrrr :D

Reply

16:03 Feb 20, 2021

Haha! I have passed it on! XD Oh, thank you! :D

Reply

17:33 Feb 20, 2021

:D yayyyyy np!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.