Time and Love ( COLLAB WITH MAYA EMERSON)

Submitted into Contest #81 in response to: Write a love story about an older couple who’ve been together since they were teenagers.... view prompt

55 comments

Romance Historical Fiction Sad

Hello everybody. THIS IS MY FIRST COLLAB OB REEDSY AND I HAVE DONE WITH MAYA EMERSON. SHE IS A AMAZING WRITER SO AFTER READING THIS STORY RUSH TO HER TO READ JULIES POINT OF VIEW. HOPE YOU LIKE MY WORK.


Jay's perspective.


September 2, 1939

The war turned everybody's life upside down and it has devastated my life. I was forcefully recruited into the army without my or my family's consent. I am the only child to my widow mother and lost my father in World war 1. Life's been always hard on us, but still, we managed to put a smile on our faces.

The reason behind my laugh and happiness is Julie, my love, my breath, and my life. Standing on the station and bidding her farewell was the toughest decision I had to make. We promised each other that we will try our best to survive the war, but everything depends on fate and the leaders of the world.

Julies is serving the soldiers by working as a nurse who are assisting the nation. But it is a very false perspective, soldiers were not serving the nation, they were obeying the power-hungry leaders who only saw their own selfish needs rather than attending the public.

I had her hat and scarf with me as a token of love, the lavender scent was still lingering on the scarf which refreshed my memories. I am expecting a miracle from God to unite us. All I can do is await rather than taking action.


January 1, 1940

Luck's on my side today. I had the responsibility to take the genocide victims and wounded soldiers to the clinic. I am used to seeing the dead bodies, but the corpses of little children drive your breath and hope away. When I reached the clinic, to my surprise I found Julie. When I saw her, I froze, my eyes shot open in shock and my heartbeat skipped. She was wearing a pale uniform and had bandages in her hand. Her eyes sparkled with hope and her face looked dull like an autumn leaf. I couldn't control my urges and leap towards her, she is the only medicine I needed at this time. I took her in my arms and hugged her in a firm embrace. Her eyes were filled with valuable tears, and her lips continuously called my name. I brushed them gently and let my lips feel the softness and sweetness. I could not stop my tears. The patients, the clinic staff, the hospital members, and my cadets were clapping in unison around us, encouraging us for our love.

The whole day I followed her, walked behind her, kissed her, and did everything she was doing. I craved for every touch, every kiss, and every word.  

Her head is on my shoulder and my jacket is soaking in her scents. Her closed eyes show me a beautiful universe and the calm state fills my heart. I promise her that I will be by her side until death, in her sleep.


October 3, 1940


My cadet received orders to march down to Paris, for the free France movement tomorrow. Julie and I were sobbing, not knowing about the consequences. We again were promising to each other. The last few weeks were like heaven to us, the war did not stop, but our company healed each other. We did not fear the bombs, bullets, or the Nazis in each other's embrace. Every night we found solace in each other's eyes, and we hoped the war would have ended.

Today was her birthday, and I could only give her promises. I wasn't sure if I would even complete them. We were again holding each other's hand, sobbing and calming each other. I could not prepare anything special for her and that wounded me badly. Before the war, I had promised her happiness, luxury, children, a home to share and live in. But I failed to do anything.

I and my friends had saved our quota of bread. We glazed the bread with chocolate that all my mates had scrounged from many places in the last few hours. Placed the bread on top of each other, added a few crushed peanuts on it, and made a small cake kind of dessert for her.

 I and my mates rampaged the garden for the flowers and lilies which were behind our camp. We collected all of them and made a small bouquet.

When I placed the bouquet in her lap and offered my handmade cake, her eyes had precious tears. Which I wish I would never see again. At that moment I promised myself that no matter what, I would survive the war and come back to her. I know I will.


August 12, 1945


Do you know what is a soldier's biggest merit? His war wounds.

In these last four years, I have suffered injuries, hopeless moments, lost many of my mates, saw mutilated bodies, saw victims and survivors of genocide, saw orphaned children, and much more. This war showed me that what hell looks like, sometimes I think even hell may be far better than this.

I am lying in the hospital, a bit sedated with a healing bullet wound on my leg. Julie is in Amsterdam, probably waiting for me. Her letters have been the biggest treasure for me. I can trade my life for them. I am happy that I have fulfilled my promise, which I made to myself, and returned to the scent and each breath of Julie.


May 5, 1947


Today was the happiest day of my life. I found what life means to me. When I saw her walking down the aisle. Unconsciously tears rolled down my cheeks. She was looking like a fairy dressed in white, who will in moments wave her wand and create a heaven for me. I was dying for this day, and I vow to live by your side in sickness, happiness, and forever. I wish to write each moment, but I can't wait to see my bride with me alone.

April 3, 1948


The war terrified us in the future too. The boom of industrialization and the commercial crisis have taken a toll on the living condition. Due to financial conditions, we had to push our marriage for 2 years. The government did not help us a lot either, at least they provided us with land and gave us furnished homes. I drew my army service for two years to gather resources for our new life. But now they were on the brink of exhaustion. Julie is working as a governess for nearby homes, but even that money is very meager. The phase of unemployment has disturbed the youth and the people who served the war. We are all hanging by thread and have reached the dead end. Julie is thinking of auditioning for movies as a side actress or back dancer. She gave a few tryouts in the past month but was mostly rejected or kept on hold. The battle has ended but its consequences haven't ended for us.


September 9, 1948


The Lord showed his mercy upon us. Julie got selected for a forthcoming movie with a superstar. We did not assume that she would be selected as the lead protagonist, but fate overturned our lives in a day. They signed the contract for 5000 dollars. I am very proud of her achievement. I promise her that, I will stand with her in thick and thin, and always be supportive of her dreams. I know how talented she is, her work will be applauded and recognized for generations to come, I recently enrolled in a university to complete my education. I took a major in physics and literature. I want to make Julie proud. 


December 14, 1949


I attended the premiere night for Julie's movie. She costumed to her finest for the red carpet and was looking like a perfect maiden. Her acting in the movie is phenomenal, and she was loved by the audience. But there's an unfamiliar behavior of her which made me confused. She did not take me to the red carpet nor to the press conference. Her assistant advised me, to not reveal my relationship with her to anyone. But why is that necessary?

I am her husband who stood by her life and fought with death. Then why am I sidelined? I have many questions that can only be answered by her. I don't dare to ask her because I don't want to end up hurting her feelings.

I am stuck in my thoughts as a husband and as a person.


January 2, 1950


Camera flashes, fame, publicity, compliments, and money had blindfolded Julie about our love. The day before yesterday, Julie got invited to the New Year party of Superstar Mark. She got excited about it, and was very happy because her association with him could guide her to major films. I was happy for her but I was sad. Because Julie won't take me to the gathering. The last time I had asked her the reason ignorance towards me. She replied that she had to hide her identity as a married woman because producers want to cast a female who is young as well as single.

I understand her professional commitments but her work is taking a toll on our lives and our love. Yesterday I saw an article about her, the press is spreading the rumors of an affair between her and Mark. I know Julie, and I trust her, but this constant print media gamble rattles my sanity. Yesterday, because of the article we had a big fight in which I told her to leave. I spoke in a fit of anger, I did not mean it, but I think we both have hurt each other a lot.


February 11, 1950


Julie has understood my side, and as well she feels it's kind of injustice to me. So, yesterday she held a press conference to address our marriage to the media. This time she held my hands and proudly walked with me in front of the others. I felt as if we have won the war again, she explained our past, our love in tough times, and also mentioned her reason to hide me away from everyone. Some people questioned her harshly and some people got affected by our story. I saw the spark of our love in her eyes after a long time. We were proud that we worked for our marriage, as we had worked for our love.

We did not receive any reaction from Mark or the producers, but we do have found the lost love that was buried deep in these worldly pleasures.


January 1, 2001


I am 69 years of now. Saw the ups and downs of life, saw the war, the fame, the misery, the riches, and everything a human can imagine. It's the start of the fresh era, but our love still stands strong. I still love her cheeks and smile. Her eyes are now covered with rimmed rose-colored glasses, but the beauty has not faded out. I am recalling the past decade where we have existed. We saw the world change in front of our lives, but in the end, we felt that the only thing a human needs to survive is love. We have a handsome son, a beautiful home, some pets and each other to live this life with utmost happiness. In these past years, we have concluded that optimism is the only element that makes life successful, and if you have a friend and a lover by your side then I don’t think you will worry about heaven.

Julie has been the most prominent and the best part of my life. I cannot tell, how important she is for me, she is like an angel who just healed and taught me about the different aspects of living. She was my strength during the war, during the tough times. She did not let me down or let our love fall. I don’t think, I wouldn't have survived my life without her. I don’t want to sustain any life without her.

I want you with me in every breath and life of mine.

I am so lucky to be with you, and I have no regrets for choosing you.



February 19, 2021 11:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

55 comments

Radhika Diksha
07:41 Feb 20, 2021

can i join scribbles

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
17:50 Mar 06, 2021

Hey Radhika, I'm not accusing you of anything but did you happen to write a message on the doc with some opinions on Reedsy writers? The one at the very bottom.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:53 Mar 06, 2021

No, Maya never. I know some parts have been the same as mine, but it's not me. I came here today to advertise my new idea for the youtube channel and novel. Nothing else. Can I ask why did you think that?

Reply

Maya -
17:54 Mar 06, 2021

Alright, I believe you. I just was asking cause it was in the same font you use. Sorry!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:57 Mar 06, 2021

Actually, I came in the morning and just typed the things that I wanted. I don't understand these fonts and all. Maybe I must have used the font that the person might have written in. I just write with different fonts every time. I will be careful next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
18:01 Mar 06, 2021

And I can also prove. I am in the 4 reedsy cast series and Luke is my good friend. Then there is no chance that I will write it. I had said to you that a person is spamming my comments.

Reply

Maya -
18:08 Mar 06, 2021

Yeah, I don't think it was you. I was just checking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
18:03 Mar 06, 2021

Hey, do you believe it was me? Are you talking with me?

Reply

Maya -
18:07 Mar 06, 2021

I'm sorry, I don't think it was you. I wasn't trying to accuse you. I believe you.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:11 Mar 06, 2021

ok, great. How are you? By the way I am opening a youtube channel and self-publishing a novel.

Reply

Maya -
18:17 Mar 06, 2021

I'm fine. Ooh that's so cool, congratulations! What are the channel and novel about?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Daniel R. Hayes
18:03 Mar 07, 2021

Hi Radhika, I thought this story was very good. I enjoyed reading it from beginning to end. Jay's point of view through this story is very well written. I thought you did a fantastic job with the emotions. I'll have to check out the other side of the story. Great job!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:07 Mar 07, 2021

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
17:49 Feb 23, 2021

Sorry it took so long for me to read this. I've been responding to comments and reading other stories since I've been inactive for a while. Anyways... I found it really easy to lose myself in this story. It kept my attention from the beginning to the end. And somehow, you made it really realistic. The characters are so vivid that I could literally picture them in my mind and you left me in clear anticipation on what would happen next. I felt like I was actually living Jay's life. This was an amazing story!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:56 Feb 23, 2021

Thanks for the comment it means a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:43 Feb 22, 2021

AW, THIS IS SO SWEET! I LOVED IT! I’m definitely going to go read Maya’s side, but I think you captured the soldier’s POV perfectly! The word choice was amazing and the open ended sentences made the delivery super smooth and interesting. Great job! This was awesome! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:21 Feb 22, 2021

I also did a collab with Maya! I'm happy to say I love this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yolanda Wu
10:36 Feb 22, 2021

What a beautiful love story! You've really been taking off with your historical fiction romance stories. I really like the diary format of the story, I thought it worked well in capturing the little moments of a soldier and the love between Julie and Jay. I was so immersed in the story and you took me from one event to another, I could just imagine the two of them throughout their lives, beginning as young lovers, each a part of the war, and then Julie going on to become a movie star, hardships in their relationship due to that, and then Jay...

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
17:38 Feb 21, 2021

this was really good! It shows many feelings, but the most prominent was love. You really did a great job expressing Jay's thoughts, even in tough times. The time line was lovely, and made the story organized. Great job, overall! I will try to read Maya's very soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nainika Gupta
16:21 Feb 19, 2021

Nice job - i saw that you fixed the passive voice soon after I was gonna post this...so nothing really to critique.... -N

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:04 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you. How did you like my story.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:09 Feb 19, 2021

great!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:11 Feb 19, 2021

did you like any part more.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:22 Feb 19, 2021

no, they were both good :) also, new story out!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:00 Feb 19, 2021

ok, will read it soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Frances Reine
15:41 Feb 19, 2021

So sweet, despite its place on the timeline. Julie's that shiny thing in the dark, wedging through the words just to give us hope. Love this.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:04 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks for the feedback but actually its jays perspective. I am sorry I am a bit confused.

Reply

Frances Reine
17:42 Feb 19, 2021

Yep, I know. The little details about Julie glow in the dark :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:01 Feb 19, 2021

ya. Why you did not submit anything.

Reply

Frances Reine
19:27 Feb 23, 2021

I submitted a story for the Valentines prompts but probably not this week. Well, what can you do about an empty head.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:14 Feb 19, 2021

It was really fun working with you Radhika, I really enjoyed it! Your part is amazing! :D <3

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:15 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks, you are a great writer than me. Your part is more amazing than mine, its my honest replies.

Reply

Maya -
23:34 Feb 19, 2021

I really don't think that's true, honestly. When I say you're a talented writer I really mean it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi radhika! This was such a beautiful story! Got me hooked from the beginning! U and maya are a great team and wonderful authors!!! Keep it up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
12:18 Feb 21, 2021

Aww, this was such a sweet story! I can see a tremendous improvement from this story and your last one. The grammar and sentence mistakes were to a minimum. I really liked their relationship. I felt like you can further describe his jealousy and feeling of missing out when she becomes an actress, I would love to read that side of his thoughts. That's just my suggestion, it's totally up to you. Otherwise, a well written and developed plot and story! Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danny -
06:21 Feb 20, 2021

Great story, Radhika! You and Maya did a really great job.. I think the dates thing were a good idea, really helps organize the story.. The descriptions you used were amazing....and lol I just think it's cool to see both perspectives of the story :)) Great job! :D

Reply

Radhika Diksha
07:13 Feb 20, 2021

thanks, do you have any more views or critiques to tell. I won't take any offense to it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:51 Feb 19, 2021

This is so great! You portrayed the emotions really well, and you showed us the side that Julie couldn't. All in all, I have to say that this is a great job, and you and Maya definitely make a great team!! I can't wait to see more of your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
13:12 Feb 19, 2021

This is great!!! i love the emotions and the characters are great!!! However, on a critical grammar point, don't use passive voice. Its reallllll clunky and you should get out of the habit. Other than that, great!!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:01 Feb 19, 2021

CAN YOU MENTION ABOUT THE PASSIVE VOICE SO I CAN UNDERSTAND IT MUCH BETTER AND THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.

Reply

. .
14:03 Feb 19, 2021

Ok so passive voice is when the verb is not active in the sentence and something is actng on the verb, like instead of he had been eating it would be he ate

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:08 Feb 19, 2021

I know that. I am just asking you to refer to these mistakes that you have found in my story to correct them.

Reply

. .
14:09 Feb 19, 2021

Mostly in the beginning, and a lot of was, has, had.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:10 Feb 19, 2021

can you point out the sentences and instances directly so I can get birds view about it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.