247 comments

Kids Adventure

The thunder’s vibration shook the house. A flash of lightning sent a shiver up my spine. I wrapped my blanket tighter around me. Deathly afraid of storms, I was freaking out inside while I watched Annie for the hundredth time that summer.

The movie was just about to get to the part where they all sing It’s The Hard Knock Life when the TV screen went black. I immediately heard a frustrated cry upstairs.

“Cadence? What happened?” Throwing the blanket off of me, I got up from the couch and ran upstairs, into Cadence’s room.

“The power just went out! My computer turned off, and so did my lamp! UGH!” Cadence threw her hands up in the air and I shook my head. I moved onto Ariana and Bebe’s room.

“Mom! We were in the middle of finishing our homework on our computers and they just shut off! So did our light!” Ariana pouted while Bebe just sat there, trying to turn her computer back on.

“The power went out, girls. It’s what happens when there’s a storm.” I rolled my eyes and slowly made my way to my bedroom, where my husband stared at his phone screen. While I crept in, he just barely lifted his head to look at me.

“What’s up?” Hunter shifted himself and sat up straight. I sat down on the edge of the bed.

“The power went out. All three of the girls are kind of freaking out. I thought that maybe once the storm stops we could go out in the backyard and camp. Remember when we did that when we were kids?” I smiled at the memories of camping out in the backyard with my sisters and parents. We had the best times. 

“Yeah. That’s a good idea.” Hunter yawned; he had been working twenty-four-hour shifts and relaxed in bed any chance he got. It didn’t bother me at all; he was relaxing so he could go back to work to provide more for us.


---


“But Mom! I don’t wanna! The ground will be all wet! And it’ll be so hot!” Cadence followed me around the house, complaining, as I gathered everything we would need to spend the night outside in a tent. It felt like as the years went by, my daughter just got more whiney.

“I don’t want to hear it! You are going out there with the rest of your family whether you like it or not!” I stared her straight in the eye and she stomped away, back up to her bedroom. 

“There you are, Mom. Do you happen to know where my sunglasses are?” Bebe came running up to me, still looking around.

“In the pocket of your blue jacket that’s in the coat closet.” With a quick “Thanks!”, Bebe was off again to grab her sunglasses.

“MOM! WHERE’S MY SLEEPING BAG?! NEVERMIND!” I rolled my eyes at Ariana. Her and Bebe both were always forgetting everything. 

“Hey, Vic? Have you seen my Nike hat anywhere?” Hunter came walking into the living room from upstairs.

“You’re wearin’ it.” I raised my eyebrows as Hunter took his hat off, then stared at it for a second.

“Oh. Well, do you need any help?” Shaking my head, I turned on my heel, went into the dining room, then sat the pile of blankets I was holding down on the table.

“That was a lie. What do you need me to help you with?” Hunter watched me as I whipped a notepad out of my jeans pocket. I had written a list down of things that we had to collect to camp earlier. 

“Uhhh… To be honest, I need you to get all of the food and drinks. I wrote it all down right here.” Hunter took the paper from me and nodded.

“Sounds good.”


---


“Dinner is ready!” The girls and I rushed to Hunter, who was taking burgers, hot dogs, and corn off of the grill grate. Since we were “camping”, Hunter and I decided that we wouldn’t use anything electric. As a result, we had to cook our food over the bonfire.

“Mm! That smells so good!” Ariana rubbed her stomach and we all laughed.

“Yes, it does! Can we eat right now?” Before any of us could answer, Bebe grabbed a bun and put a burger patty on it. We all watched as she squirted about a gallon of ketchup on it, and laughed more when she took a huge bite.

“What?” Bebe looked at us with a questioning look and I shook my head.

“Here’s a plate, Be..” Hunter handed Bebe a plate, then she sat her burger down on it.

“Thanks, Dad.” My heart warmed at hearing Bebe say “Dad”. Even though she had been saying it since the day Hunter and I got married. Bebe ran off to sit back down at the picnic table. Everyone else (including myself) got their plates piled up. We joined Bebe at the table and no one said a word until all of the plates were practically licked clean.

“Well, it must have been good since all o’ our food is gone. I know I feel completely stuffed.” Hunter rubbed his stomach and sighed.

“For sure. But, I do still have room for s’mores.” Cadence smiled and walked over to the tent with Bebe. They climbed in, leaving just Ariana, Hunter, and myself at the table.

“Are ya gonna have s’ mores, too, Mom?” Ariana turned her head and looked at me. I couldn’t resist her pleading look and nodded. All she wanted to do was make mine for me.

“Go ahead.”

“Yay!” My daughter jumped up from the table and ran to the tent, climbing in to grab the s’ mores ingredients from her sisters.

“You know, this was a great idea. Getting away from technology, even for a night, is probably going to be good for the girls. They rely too much on their phones.” I shook my head.

"Honey, I think that we rely on our phones just as much as they do." Realizing what I said was true, Hunter nodded, then we both busted out laughing.


---


My family and I sat around the fire pit, enjoying the warmth that the bonfire gave off. Cadence bit into her third s’ more, while the twins just rubbed their full stomachs.

“Alright, girls, come on. I want to do something with you guys.” I looked up at Hunter, who was getting up from his lawn chair. He glanced at me with a smile on his face. Although I didn’t know what he was doing, I knew that it would most likely be fun, so I followed him over to the center of the yard. There was a large, soft, grey blanket spread out on the grass and Hunter sat down on it. I sat down next to him.

“Girls, come over here.” At that moment, I realized what Hunter was planning and waved the girls over. Cadence licked the melted marshmallow off of her fingers and sauntered over to us. She flopped down next to me, then Ariana and Bebe came over and sat down as well. 

“Alright, now lay back and just look at the stars. The clouds. The moon. Just look.” I laid down, followed by Hunter, then Ariana, then Bebe and Cadence. The five of us stared up at the stars and I looked for constellations.

“Hey, Ari? Do you know what this is called? What we’re doing right now?” Ariana continued to stare at the stars while she thought about Hunter’s question.

“Let me help you out here, little sis. The word ends in ‘-gazing’. Now try to guess.” Cadence smiled in the dark at her little sister and I smiled, too.

“Uhhh...Oh! I know it! Stargazing!” The five of us erupted in cheers and laughter, then settled back down and gazed some more. It was picture-perfect.

September 13, 2020 18:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

247 comments

03:37 Sep 14, 2020

Fantastic story! I really liked it, you did a great job with detail. And I am glad you came out with a P2! For your friend (which you were talking about in your bio)- You can't do it without an email but if you go to a site called https://10minutemail.com/ they give you an email address for 10 minutes (You can add more time if you want). There is a little inbox where you can see the emails and accept things and other stuff. I have used it on quite a few websites and it definitely works. I hope this helps! :)

Reply

00:43 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks so much, Blair! For the feedback and the answer to my question. I will definitely tell her!

Reply

23:54 Sep 15, 2020

By the way, I told my friend about it and she now has an account! Her name is Bailey W., and her author link will be in my bio soon! :D

Reply

18:36 Sep 22, 2020

Oops sorry! Didn't see this! (thought I responded but apparently not...) Yay! Ok! Let me know when it is!

Reply

19:04 Sep 22, 2020

I am about to put the account link in my bio in the next few minutes!

Reply

19:06 Sep 22, 2020

Ok!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:37 Sep 22, 2020

No problem! I am happy to help!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
03:15 Sep 15, 2020

Hey a beautiful story Liked it How do u write such brilliant stories!!!??

Reply

23:48 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks so much, Hriday! That brings a smile to my face to hear you say that. Really, all I do is practice, practice, and practice some more.

Reply

Hriday Saboo
04:09 Sep 16, 2020

Ohh great

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hriday Saboo
04:09 Sep 16, 2020

Ohh great

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
15:35 Sep 24, 2020

Dear Brooke d. I am so sorry you left because of the incessant downvoting. When you return, please know that I am very thankful you wrote about downvoting.

Reply

18:12 Sep 27, 2020

I am back! :D

Reply

Authoring Studio
02:20 Sep 28, 2020

Yeaaaahhhhh!! :D

Reply

10:10 Sep 28, 2020

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
19:37 Sep 23, 2020

Hi Brooke! I just read your bio, and I'd be lying if I say I don't have a bone to pick with this Mia Rigini. I understand why you would want to leave, but just a little consolation: Your writing is incredible. If you leave Reedsy's social aspect (the points and stuff), at least stay for the writing, as Zilla said. Don't let some insecure person with no respect to others take your talent with the pen away from you. You deserve better than that and I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm really sorry any author has to deal with this ...

Reply

18:13 Sep 27, 2020

Hello, Ria! That means the absolute entire world to me. I am officially back now!

Reply

Ariadne .
03:48 Sep 28, 2020

Oh, I'm so glad! Yay!!! I'm heading on over to read your latest story right away!

Reply

10:09 Sep 28, 2020

Aw! Okay, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
22:14 Sep 22, 2020

Oh, Brooke, I'm so sorry that you're leaving for awhile. I know how infectious the anger and meanness of petty people can be. If you don't come on Reedsy for the people or the points, at least come on for the writing. Write instead, is my motto. You know we all love you and respect your writing. If you leave, we'll miss you so much. "Courage, dear heart."

Reply

18:17 Sep 27, 2020

Oh, my goodness! You are Zilla Babbitt, magnificent author, 1st on the leaderboard, are sending me, a young girl who just wants to get her story out there, and is only in 13th or whatever, the sweetest comment ever. Wow. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
23:55 Sep 27, 2020

😍😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:45 Sep 17, 2020

Aww. Brooke, you're being downvoted too? Omg, that's been happening to me. I really hope this stops. But Brooke, remember it's not the points that counts! You are an amazing writer!!! Please keep writing!

Reply

10:49 Sep 18, 2020

Aw, thanks Avery! I hope it stops, too. It's not the points themselves that I'm mad about, I'm just frustrated that someone could be so rude as to take away something that I have worked hard for. Is there really a good reason for it?

Reply

Avery G.
02:04 Sep 19, 2020

You're welcome!!! Yes, I agree. What's the good that comes out of it????

Reply

11:12 Sep 19, 2020

I really don't know. It's just plain rude.

Reply

Avery G.
16:48 Sep 19, 2020

Yes. Yesterday, I got downvoted even more. 300+ points!!!!! What the heck?

Reply

22:20 Sep 19, 2020

Nooo! I don't understand!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
00:08 Sep 17, 2020

Brooke, this is such a heartwarming story! The element of family is so strong in this and so beautiful. It’s the little things that matter and this proves that. Such an amazing job again. The dialogue and the descriptions were so sweet!

Reply

19:51 Sep 17, 2020

Thanks so much, Doubra!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bailey D.
19:56 Sep 16, 2020

Wow, Brooke. This story is amazing. Just like you. Remember that you can go places. Your best friend, Bailey ❤️

Reply

20:19 Sep 16, 2020

Aw, thanks so much, Bai!

Reply

20:26 Sep 16, 2020

And thank you so much for liking all of my stories. It means a lot to me.

Reply

Bailey D.
20:27 Sep 16, 2020

No problem, girl. :D

Reply

Megan Sutherland
00:47 Sep 17, 2020

Bailey, so I heard you're amazing, and I would like your stories if you had some. Would you mind coming and reading my page? Also I agree Brooke is literally the best!

Reply

Bailey D.
20:13 Sep 17, 2020

Yeah, I should be coming out with one next week. I should. Like Brooke, I am also doing one story a week. Yeah, of course. She said that I should check you out, too. I will! She is for sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bailey D.
11:19 Sep 30, 2020

Thx for putting me in your bio bestie

Reply

Bailey D.
11:19 Sep 30, 2020

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
15:23 Sep 14, 2020

Brooke have ya checked the two things yet?

Reply

00:42 Sep 15, 2020

No, and I apologize. School + sports practice = not enough time for Reedsy. I will soon!

Reply

B. W.
00:45 Sep 15, 2020

oh thats alright ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C.j 🤍
22:31 Sep 23, 2020

Sorry you are getting downvoted:-( When will you be back on reedsy ? I love all of your story’s 😍😀 awesome job!

Reply

18:13 Sep 27, 2020

I am back now, Elizabeth!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
19:06 Sep 23, 2020

Brooke d, I completely respect and understand your decision to be inactive for a little bit, but I just have something to say. Brooke, you are a really really REALLY good writer! You have talent, and you could definitely go places if you wanted to. Reedsy is a place where we can interact with other writers, get criticism and feedback, learn, grow, and have fun chatting about writing! Karma points is such a fun system, but don't forget that no matter how many points you have, your talent will never go away. Please don't let a downvote...

Reply

18:15 Sep 27, 2020

Bibilo_ Phile, That means so very much to me. I am officially back now. Also, you are not the only person to send me this wonderful messages, and you guys are all making me so happy to think that you guys really care about me and respect my stories. :D

Reply

Amaya .
01:19 Sep 28, 2020

of course we do! I'm so glad that ur back. Also you can call me Amaya. :)

Reply

10:11 Sep 28, 2020

Awwww, thanks! Sounds good, Amaya.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:48 Sep 22, 2020

Oh gosh, this remind's me when Kendra started to leave and now she's just barely here. Though i guess i understand why your doing it from all of this but i do really hope you'll be back soon. i don't want another friend here leaving because i'll just miss you and i don't know if we'd ever be able to talk again if you left forever or something. Though if you do, it's been really fun talking you for the time we've began to talk, it's always fun when i see your comment's and i've enjoyed it. Your stories no matter what a down-voter or really an...

Reply

18:16 Sep 27, 2020

Hello, B.! This is Brooke, officially back. Multiple other people have sent me these messages, and you guys are making me feel sooo good. Thank you so much! You are a really good Reedsy friend of mine as well. I love our talks. :)

Reply

B. W.
18:25 Sep 27, 2020

heyyyyy :D i also really love the talks we have and i kinda just missed you while you were gone. Bailey also told me the things ya did for that character your basing off me in the novel, so thanks for that still ^^ i don't think i ever told ya that yet. a lot of things (good things) have happened that i sorta did, ya wanna know?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
21:13 Sep 22, 2020

Hey Brooke!! I feel like we haven't talked in a while. Also just re-read your bio and whats going on with the second account thing? You told me you had 2 accounts?

Reply

21:14 Sep 22, 2020

What the heck?! Who is telling people I have two accounts?! I don't! All I put in my bio was that people should check out Bailey W., my best friend!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
21:16 Sep 22, 2020

Ok thats weird. She has the same exact profile pic, bio, and name as you. The only difference is she has 5 stories and you have 51

Reply

21:17 Sep 22, 2020

Noo! This is bad!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
21:18 Sep 22, 2020

It's ok, don't worry! I can't find her profile anymore, maybe she deleted it?

Reply

21:18 Sep 22, 2020

I would hope so.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
14:46 Sep 20, 2020

Hey would you mind checking my new story

Reply

14:47 Sep 20, 2020

Not at all! I'll go check it out!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
14:49 Sep 20, 2020

Thanks and do share your feedback

Reply

15:38 Sep 20, 2020

No problem! I will!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
17:21 Sep 20, 2020

Thanks

Reply

20:38 Sep 20, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

AWESOME story! Can you check out my new story?

Reply

11:11 Sep 19, 2020

Thanks! Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
18:24 Sep 17, 2020

Hey Brooke! I love this story! I honestly love all your stories, and your writing style in general. Could you check out my new story, it would be amazing! Could you leave some feedback/criticism? I want to be able to learn and grow

Reply

19:47 Sep 17, 2020

Thanks so much, Bibilo_Phile! Of course!

Reply

Amaya .
20:12 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you Brooke!!

Reply

20:21 Sep 17, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Amaya .
20:24 Sep 17, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
20:17 Sep 17, 2020

also, when you are on my page, would you mind reading my bio and telling me what you think?

Reply

20:20 Sep 17, 2020

Sure!

Reply

20:24 Sep 17, 2020

So, I think that that idea is awesome. Alice's (well, maybe Alice's) personality seems very realistic, especially her faults. That's what everyone struggles with. As for your other character, I love the name Veta (like from the movie "My Girl") and maybe she doesn't know exactly how to use her powers and Alice helps her? Also, Veta would be very shy and quiet. Those would be her faults. As for the magic, that would be absolutely magnificent.

Reply

20:25 Sep 17, 2020

Wait. I'm dumb. You just asked what I thought about it. I gave you an idea. Oops. Hopefully you still like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
20:29 Sep 17, 2020

Omg I LOVE THAT!!! The name is cool, but I'm not super sure about it. I LOVE ur idea for her to be shy and quiet and I think that Alice helping her would make their friendship so much cuter, so thank you thank you thank you thank you! hypothetically, if the book came out would you read it?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Amaya .
20:24 Sep 17, 2020

Cool, thanks!

Reply

20:25 Sep 17, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
00:45 Sep 17, 2020

Brooke, I read your bio, and someone downvoted me too!!!!!!!!! I lost almost 70 points! Let me help you out, I'll pump the up arrow!!!

Reply

19:50 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you so much, Megan! I will do the same for you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
11:23 Sep 15, 2020

Wow, this was such a cute and interesting story! I loved all the interactions between the characters and that ending was so sweet. Your writing is so captivating and I was hooked the entire time! Amazing work, Brooke!

Reply

23:45 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
07:19 Sep 15, 2020

Adventures story.Great job keep it up.It was fantastic.I really enjoyed it.Keep writing.You did a great job with the detail. Would you mind to read my story “The Dragon warrior part 2.”

Reply

23:45 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.j 🤍
04:19 Sep 15, 2020

This was awesome I loved it!!!! :-)

Reply

23:46 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.