247 comments

Kids Adventure

The thunder’s vibration shook the house. A flash of lightning sent a shiver up my spine. I wrapped my blanket tighter around me. Deathly afraid of storms, I was freaking out inside while I watched Annie for the hundredth time that summer.

The movie was just about to get to the part where they all sing It’s The Hard Knock Life when the TV screen went black. I immediately heard a frustrated cry upstairs.

“Cadence? What happened?” Throwing the blanket off of me, I got up from the couch and ran upstairs, into Cadence’s room.

“The power just went out! My computer turned off, and so did my lamp! UGH!” Cadence threw her hands up in the air and I shook my head. I moved onto Ariana and Bebe’s room.

“Mom! We were in the middle of finishing our homework on our computers and they just shut off! So did our light!” Ariana pouted while Bebe just sat there, trying to turn her computer back on.

“The power went out, girls. It’s what happens when there’s a storm.” I rolled my eyes and slowly made my way to my bedroom, where my husband stared at his phone screen. While I crept in, he just barely lifted his head to look at me.

“What’s up?” Hunter shifted himself and sat up straight. I sat down on the edge of the bed.

“The power went out. All three of the girls are kind of freaking out. I thought that maybe once the storm stops we could go out in the backyard and camp. Remember when we did that when we were kids?” I smiled at the memories of camping out in the backyard with my sisters and parents. We had the best times. 

“Yeah. That’s a good idea.” Hunter yawned; he had been working twenty-four-hour shifts and relaxed in bed any chance he got. It didn’t bother me at all; he was relaxing so he could go back to work to provide more for us.


---


“But Mom! I don’t wanna! The ground will be all wet! And it’ll be so hot!” Cadence followed me around the house, complaining, as I gathered everything we would need to spend the night outside in a tent. It felt like as the years went by, my daughter just got more whiney.

“I don’t want to hear it! You are going out there with the rest of your family whether you like it or not!” I stared her straight in the eye and she stomped away, back up to her bedroom. 

“There you are, Mom. Do you happen to know where my sunglasses are?” Bebe came running up to me, still looking around.

“In the pocket of your blue jacket that’s in the coat closet.” With a quick “Thanks!”, Bebe was off again to grab her sunglasses.

“MOM! WHERE’S MY SLEEPING BAG?! NEVERMIND!” I rolled my eyes at Ariana. Her and Bebe both were always forgetting everything. 

“Hey, Vic? Have you seen my Nike hat anywhere?” Hunter came walking into the living room from upstairs.

“You’re wearin’ it.” I raised my eyebrows as Hunter took his hat off, then stared at it for a second.

“Oh. Well, do you need any help?” Shaking my head, I turned on my heel, went into the dining room, then sat the pile of blankets I was holding down on the table.

“That was a lie. What do you need me to help you with?” Hunter watched me as I whipped a notepad out of my jeans pocket. I had written a list down of things that we had to collect to camp earlier. 

“Uhhh… To be honest, I need you to get all of the food and drinks. I wrote it all down right here.” Hunter took the paper from me and nodded.

“Sounds good.”


---


“Dinner is ready!” The girls and I rushed to Hunter, who was taking burgers, hot dogs, and corn off of the grill grate. Since we were “camping”, Hunter and I decided that we wouldn’t use anything electric. As a result, we had to cook our food over the bonfire.

“Mm! That smells so good!” Ariana rubbed her stomach and we all laughed.

“Yes, it does! Can we eat right now?” Before any of us could answer, Bebe grabbed a bun and put a burger patty on it. We all watched as she squirted about a gallon of ketchup on it, and laughed more when she took a huge bite.

“What?” Bebe looked at us with a questioning look and I shook my head.

“Here’s a plate, Be..” Hunter handed Bebe a plate, then she sat her burger down on it.

“Thanks, Dad.” My heart warmed at hearing Bebe say “Dad”. Even though she had been saying it since the day Hunter and I got married. Bebe ran off to sit back down at the picnic table. Everyone else (including myself) got their plates piled up. We joined Bebe at the table and no one said a word until all of the plates were practically licked clean.

“Well, it must have been good since all o’ our food is gone. I know I feel completely stuffed.” Hunter rubbed his stomach and sighed.

“For sure. But, I do still have room for s’mores.” Cadence smiled and walked over to the tent with Bebe. They climbed in, leaving just Ariana, Hunter, and myself at the table.

“Are ya gonna have s’ mores, too, Mom?” Ariana turned her head and looked at me. I couldn’t resist her pleading look and nodded. All she wanted to do was make mine for me.

“Go ahead.”

“Yay!” My daughter jumped up from the table and ran to the tent, climbing in to grab the s’ mores ingredients from her sisters.

“You know, this was a great idea. Getting away from technology, even for a night, is probably going to be good for the girls. They rely too much on their phones.” I shook my head.

"Honey, I think that we rely on our phones just as much as they do." Realizing what I said was true, Hunter nodded, then we both busted out laughing.


---


My family and I sat around the fire pit, enjoying the warmth that the bonfire gave off. Cadence bit into her third s’ more, while the twins just rubbed their full stomachs.

“Alright, girls, come on. I want to do something with you guys.” I looked up at Hunter, who was getting up from his lawn chair. He glanced at me with a smile on his face. Although I didn’t know what he was doing, I knew that it would most likely be fun, so I followed him over to the center of the yard. There was a large, soft, grey blanket spread out on the grass and Hunter sat down on it. I sat down next to him.

“Girls, come over here.” At that moment, I realized what Hunter was planning and waved the girls over. Cadence licked the melted marshmallow off of her fingers and sauntered over to us. She flopped down next to me, then Ariana and Bebe came over and sat down as well. 

“Alright, now lay back and just look at the stars. The clouds. The moon. Just look.” I laid down, followed by Hunter, then Ariana, then Bebe and Cadence. The five of us stared up at the stars and I looked for constellations.

“Hey, Ari? Do you know what this is called? What we’re doing right now?” Ariana continued to stare at the stars while she thought about Hunter’s question.

“Let me help you out here, little sis. The word ends in ‘-gazing’. Now try to guess.” Cadence smiled in the dark at her little sister and I smiled, too.

“Uhhh...Oh! I know it! Stargazing!” The five of us erupted in cheers and laughter, then settled back down and gazed some more. It was picture-perfect.

September 13, 2020 18:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

247 comments

Lata B
03:18 Sep 15, 2020

Omg great story! I loved reading every part of it! Oh yeah I've been so busy with school too:( WAY TOOOO MUCH HOMEWORK...i'm I, right? haha ANYWAY keep writing amazing stories!

Reply

23:47 Sep 15, 2020

Thank you so much! Yeah, school has taken up 50% of my time lately. And normally I spend 50% of my time writing and just going on Reedsy. Those two don't add up well when I need some percentage of my time to eat, drink, and sleep. XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Itay Frenkel
23:47 Sep 13, 2020

Nice pacing and great detail, this was a very enjoyable read! If you get the chance, please go check out one of the new stories I posted this week.

Reply

00:44 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks so much! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:34 Sep 13, 2020

WOW! This was so good! I loved it! It was amazing! Great job!

Reply

00:44 Sep 15, 2020

Thank you so very much, Avery!

Reply

Avery G.
01:06 Sep 15, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
22:57 Sep 13, 2020

OOOOh, Brooke! Great story!! I'm so happy you posted something new! I've been playing catch-up as well, trying to get stuff out. Great job!!! Would you mind coming and reading a few of my new stories? Thanksssss Your 1st Reedsy Friend/Fan, Megan Sutherland

Reply

00:45 Sep 15, 2020

Thank you so much, Megan! Of course! Keep writing and stay healthy, Your #1 Reedsy Friend & Fan - Brooke D.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
01:30 Sep 15, 2020

😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
22:13 Sep 13, 2020

Oh so this is the sequel!! I am so glad you posted it! It's amazing! The detail was very good and I loved the whole story. I didn't get lost in thought while reading this and I focused on the story the time because it was so interesting. It was fast paced at some points, which I like in stories so good job. I have to give you a 10/10 on this story!

Reply

00:47 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks so much, Evelyn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:44 Sep 13, 2020

Hi Brooke, I know you are really busy but when you are free can you check out my new story? I loved this story, I think it gave off a very relatable vibe...

Reply

21:22 Sep 13, 2020

Of course! Thanks so much!

Reply

20:59 Sep 14, 2020

❤️❤️❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:20 Oct 12, 2020

Ya wanna hear some jokes?

Reply

00:33 Oct 12, 2020

Ummm... Sure?

Reply

B. W.
00:36 Oct 12, 2020

Knock knock

Reply

00:47 Oct 12, 2020

Who's there?

Reply

B. W.
00:49 Oct 12, 2020

Owls go

Reply

19:07 Oct 12, 2020

Owls go who? Gosh, I think I know where this is going.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:31 Oct 08, 2020

Hey, could you also maybe help me with some new stories?

Reply

12:09 Oct 10, 2020

Sure! But I am going on a trip, so I won't be super active for a couple of days.

Reply

B. W.
14:58 Oct 10, 2020

Oh dang it, is it a camping trip?

Reply

03:22 Oct 11, 2020

Yes, why?

Reply

B. W.
04:10 Oct 11, 2020

Just curious and because, didn't you go on while ago already?

Reply

12:27 Oct 11, 2020

Yeah, my family goes on camping trips A LOT. Like, a lot a lot.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
13:49 Oct 03, 2020

do you like any of this weeks prompts?

Reply

16:36 Oct 04, 2020

Yes! I really like the time's capsule one, and I am pretty positive that that will be the prompt I will submit a story for.

Reply

B. W.
16:51 Oct 04, 2020

i know it'll be great ^^

Reply

18:12 Oct 04, 2020

Thanks so much! ^^

Reply

B. W.
18:13 Oct 04, 2020

maybe i could help ya with it?

Reply

18:16 Oct 04, 2020

That would be great! So, here's the plot: Lillee and her best friend Lois get a shoebox and put some of the most popular things of their time into it (set in 2019). I write about what they put in it, and where they bury it. 10 years later (2029), a couple of kids the same age that Lillee and Lois were, find the box. They inspect the items, then research them. I just need help figuring out why and how those kids found the time capsule.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Argh! What happened to ":D" (happy) Brooke? We need to get her back! Hope you come back soon. We all need your happy vibes. Stay safe and write, Peachy

Reply

18:11 Sep 27, 2020

Awwww, that's so sweet. But I'm back now!

Reply

10:09 Sep 28, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
00:57 Sep 24, 2020

Brooke, Hey, it's me. Megan. I'm so so sorry to hear you're leaving! I agree that the downvoting is hard to take and very mean. People aren't great sometimes. I will really, really, really miss you. I hope you log back on and see this. I hope everything is going well in your life, aside from Reedsy. Stay safe and I miss you! Your 1st REEDSY FRIEND/FAN/UPVOTER/EVERYTHING GOOD ON HERE, Megan Sutherland P.S. haha I did the thing in all caps, I win :)

Reply

18:12 Sep 27, 2020

Awwww, that means the world to me, Megan! I am back now!!! I missed you and others, too. Okay, okay, I guess that's fair. XD

Reply

Megan Sutherland
19:16 Sep 27, 2020

Yay!!! So happy you're back!!! I missed youuuu

Reply

19:23 Sep 27, 2020

Aw, thanks! I missed you so much, too!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
19:54 Sep 27, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
21:08 Sep 22, 2020

BROOKE! I. AM. SO. BORED!!! please please PLEASE tell me that ur on here and you want to have a conversation with me. You can call me Amaya, btw, instead of biblio_phile. If you want.

Reply

21:09 Sep 22, 2020

Well, sorry that you're bored! I'm here! And yes, I would prefer to call you Amaya.

Reply

Amaya .
21:11 Sep 22, 2020

OH MY GOD YAY YOU ANSWERED!!!! okay question: do you want to write a book someday? Like can you see yourself doing that?

Reply

21:11 Sep 22, 2020

Yes, for sure. I am working for an idea for a novel right now. :)

Reply

Amaya .
21:14 Sep 22, 2020

oh my gosh no way! me too! my idea is in my bio, it's very very vague but its something. I asked Zilla about planning and plotting and stuff and she said that I should just go for it, and start writing, and figure out stuff as it goes along. Whats ur novel idea? Oh, and not writing related, but how's school? Like what's ur favorite subject, all that stuff. What do you like besides writing?

Reply

21:19 Sep 22, 2020

I will reply later. I have some stuff going on. I am so sorry! I thought that I would be able to talk, but something came up. :/

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
18:25 Sep 22, 2020

Oooooh! Great job!! It didn't really have a plot but it was super descriptive and just an overall great story!

Reply

19:08 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Lulu Lemon
19:11 Sep 22, 2020

No problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
13:06 Sep 22, 2020

Brooke i've hit writers block can ya help me?

Reply

19:10 Sep 22, 2020

Sure! Whatcha need?

Reply

B. W.
19:21 Sep 22, 2020

I need help on my novel because of the writers block, i dunno what to do

Reply

19:26 Sep 22, 2020

What can I do for you?

Reply

B. W.
19:29 Sep 22, 2020

any advice on how to get rid of writers block?

Reply

19:33 Sep 22, 2020

Not really, because I have never experienced it. Yet. I would just say to read quite a bit and try to get inspired. But don't force yourself to write. That would make it worse.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:48 Sep 21, 2020

Brooke, i dunno why but someone's down-voting me again

Reply

00:23 Sep 22, 2020

It has been happening to a lot of people. I don't think ti's going to stop any time soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:20 Sep 21, 2020

Brooke you there? i need someone to talk to

Reply

00:23 Sep 22, 2020

What's up?

Reply

B. W.
00:29 Sep 22, 2020

i dunno i just need someone to talk to and i like talking to you

Reply

00:30 Sep 22, 2020

Aw, thanks.

Reply

B. W.
00:31 Sep 22, 2020

No prob ^^ it's fun to talk to you a lot

Reply

00:31 Sep 22, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
12:57 Sep 19, 2020

I just liked all your stories! Rack up those points Brooke! I want to see you at #1 on the leaderboard! Your 1st Reesdy BEST Friend/Fan/Supporter/Upvoter, Megan Sutherland

Reply

22:34 Sep 19, 2020

Aw, thank you so much, Megan! It means so much to me coming from you! You deserve to be at the top, not me. Your #1 Reedsy BEST Friend & Fan & Supporter & Upvoter & Every Other Good Thing On Reedsy, Brooke D.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
00:59 Sep 20, 2020

Oof you have me beat on titles there 😂 Your 1st Reedsy BF/FSUEOGTOR, Megan

Reply

13:53 Sep 20, 2020

XD Yay! Your #1 Reedsy Best Friend & Fan & Supporter & Upvoter & Every Other Good Thing On Reedsy, Brooke D.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
14:15 Sep 20, 2020

How do you even have time to type all that 😂😂

Reply

14:45 Sep 20, 2020

I'm a fast typer! 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
00:18 Sep 19, 2020

I like the names especially Cadence hehe

Reply

11:15 Sep 19, 2020

Thanks! This may surprise you, but I actually wrote this before I met you. Such weird coincidences.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
10:50 Sep 17, 2020

Hey Brooke, I saw that you have been downvoted- I just lost nearly 200 points!!!!! A lot of other people have lost too, any idea who's behind it? Your frustrated #1 Reedsy Friend/Fan, Megan

Reply

19:48 Sep 17, 2020

No, I have no idea at all if I am being honest. It really is frustrating. Do you have any ideas?

Reply

Megan Sutherland
10:04 Sep 18, 2020

I don't know if this comment was for me but I do have an idea, but it's pretty far fetched and I'm not sure I want to share it.

Reply

10:48 Sep 18, 2020

It was, but that's completely fine. I was just curious.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
22:14 Sep 18, 2020

Okay! Oh my gosh, someone downvoted these comments! Look! Arghhhhhhhh *angry noises btw I miss you! Your 1st Reedsy Friend/Fan, megan

Reply

22:29 Sep 18, 2020

UGHHHH!!!!!!! This is awful! I know! I should be pretty active this weekend! Hopefully! Your #1 Reedsy Friend & Fan, Brooke

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.