93 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

Title: Just a bit of Courage

Author: Haripriya

Author's Note: Hello everyone! I hope you all are having a great day! This is my last story of this entire year, so I hope you enjoy it!

I can't do it. I can't!! I just...just can't. I know it was one of my goals to achieve this year, and there is only precisely 9 hours left for this year to be over. But, I'm too scared. I am the opposite of unabashed. I'm sorry Grace, I just can't do it. You were right in saying I was just a big embarrassed person, a big scaredy-cat because, in reality, I am. No matter how much I try to refuse the truth, it will stay there forever. I cannot do this, I can't even imagine talking to you...I just can't.

"Lina!my sister yells across the room.

The pitch of her voice suddenly shook me from my room. I almost fell down on the floor. Luckily, I held on to the bed railings as I walked down.

I groan and respond, "What?!"

"I want to talk to you Lina, just meet me in the backyard," she tells me and expects me to listen to her.

Since I am a nice sister, I quickly clean up my room and walk down the stairs, still pondering, being almost in a different world. As I walk down, a lot of thoughts rush to my brain instantly. 

What does she want to talk about? Why privately? She could have just talked to me in my room, or her room! Whatever it is, I really do hope that this "talk" is actually beneficial, and just not a waste of time. Still, what does she want to talk about? Will the information be really classified to talk outside in the backyard? I really don't know what her problem is. Just because she is the older sister doesn't mean I have to listen to her. Plus, she has never really wanted to talk to me separately before.

I continue walking down the stairs, admiring all the little engravings on the railings. I look outside in the bright blue sky, almost feeling the sun's radiation from inside. I could see her sitting on the park bench of our backyard, facing towards our neighbor's villa. I just shook my head but continued walking until she erupted like Mount Vesuvius again.

"Lina!!! Are you here?" she continued hollering as an alarmed dog would.

"Ugh! I am here! Why are you yelling from all the way from the backyard?" I scoffed at her, trying to reason with her, but she was too busy panting and pacing here and there.

"Do you not remember Gloria?" she asked me, and I was at first dazzled, then caught on.

"Of course I remember her! She's the one who bought me all the gifts we got from the arcade last week. She also is in most of your classes and has a locker right next to yours right?" I question her, trying to confirm if she is the same person as who my brain is picturing right now.

"Yeah! She's the girl. Anyways, so last week when we were talking, she mentioned about her younger sister," she continued, and I started to sit right next to her, intrigued. "and it appears to me that you two know before. Her sister's name is Grace. I don't know who she is, but when I told her your name, she looked stunned. When I asked her what happened, she told me all about you...I guess, dilemma. You two are frenemies it appears to be, yes?" 

I was embarrassed, and suddenly I felt really hot and sweaty. I could tell my face became as pink as a cherry. I didn't know what to tell her. I mean...I felt so ashamed of myself. 

"Y-yeah. I mean, she used to be my friend, we used to be best friends, but..." I tried to talk, but suddenly, nothing came out of my throat.

"What happened? Gloria didn't give me all the details, I guess she doesn't know much about your fight either." my sister responded.

"Fine," I exhaled as I made my word out, "I'll tell you. So what happened was one day, she was getting bullied. You see, it happened right in front of me. I wanted to say something...but I didn't have the guts for it. I'm sorry, I don't know why I just stood there, watching her made fun of. I'm a terrible friend. What's even worse is that before this happened, actually many times people made fun of me, and every time Grace spoke up for me, defended me. I wish I did the same, but, I don't what happened. From that day onward, she just stopped talking to me. I really wanted to make it up to her, in fact, it was one of my goals for this year, but I was too scared. Is there any way you could help me, sis?" I tell her my entire story, and she listens to me very carefully, nodding, and finally holding my hand.

"I promise you, Lina, I'll help you. I was going to Gloria's house because she invited me. Do you want to come with me too? I'm sure Grace would be there." she tells me, and I immediately get excited by her offer. 

꙳꙳꙳

 My sister I both walk up to her house, and I let her ring the doorbell. To my luck, Gloria is the one who answers the door.

"Hey, Liv! I'm so glad you made it! Who's this? Your sister Lina?" she asks, now staring at me.

"Yeah! She's Lina. Actually, she came with me to solve the issue with-" as my sister was about to finish, Grace came up the door.

"With Grace?" Gloria fills her in, but I didn't care about that. 

I was so glad to see Grace after such a long time. Yes, she did go to my school, but we were never in the same classes or even looked at each other.

"Gloria, is this-?" she wanted to say, but then ran to hug me, and I did too.

"Wow, Grace! I...I'm so sorry! I've always wanted to make it up with you, but you see I never got the chance to. Please forgive me!" I yell.

"I already did Lina. You know, my sister advised me to talk to you today. One of my goals was to talk to you before this year ended." she replied, and I was amazed.

"Me too! My sister also suggested me to talk to you. In fact, that's why she brought me here! I too wanted to make things up before this year ended! Wow, great minds do think alike!" I squeal in excitement.

"It's funny, you know? We both wanted to talk to each other, but we were too afraid to, too scared, worrying what the other will think," she said, and we finally stopped hugging.

"Yeah, you are right. But I'm just glad we're friends again. Wanna do a movie marathon and whine about it at the end while eating popcorn and drinking strawberry lemonade?" I ask her, and by the look on her face, she totally agrees.

We both ran inside and celebrated a great New Years' Eve.

~The End~

December 28, 2020 01:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

93 comments

Hello everyone!! I am so glad that I wrote this story, because this one is going to be the last one of the entire year! 🤩 Quick thoughts about this story: 1. I wanted to do a friendship story for the last story of the year, to make it a bit more happy and a little warm for all of you readers to enjoy and just have a really quick and fun read. So I do hope you enjoyed the characters I made up in this story! 2. I pushed myself to write all 5 stories for this contest because since it is the last contest for this year, I wanted to make it a l...

Reply

16:19 Dec 28, 2020

1. yesssss it brightened my day 2. i can't believe you did all of them GO HARIPRIYA 3. yasyasyas you have Happpy New Year! - Amethyst

Reply

Aww, thank you so much Amethyst! You know, your comment brightened my day! :) Happy early New Year to you too!

Reply

19:45 Dec 28, 2020

Yayyyyy glad to make your day a bit better :D Working on a story *types rapidly* XD

Reply

Haha! I'm very excited to read your story!! :)

Reply

20:02 Dec 28, 2020

thank you! ALMOST DONE

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
02:30 Dec 30, 2020

What a wonderful story! It was cute and cheerful. Don't we all love a good old story about friendship. These characters certainly brightened my day. Amazing work, Haripriya!

Reply

Aww, thank you so much Yolanda! (Love your name) Your comment too, certainly brightened my day a lot! :)

Reply

Yolanda Wu
08:24 Dec 30, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This story is really good! I like how the last story of the year is about the end of the year! 2020 was pretty bad, but I have high hopes for 2021 and I'm sure we all do. :)

Reply

Aww, thank you so much Jade! You're right, 2020 was a harsh year, and I too am hoping 2021 will be better for all of humanity.

Reply

Yep! Ooooo, maybe I'll publish a book in 2021! 2020 was harsh on me, but at least, in my post-Christmas boredom, I discovered Reedsy!

Reply

Really?? If you do, please promise me to update my first!! (Jk...) I would be so glad to read it! Also, I am so glad you like Reedsy! :)

Reply

Haha, thanks! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
07:13 Dec 28, 2020

Beautiful, tearful, and worth reading. The story was good and yes you have improved a lot in writing your stories. Even I did, the reedsy fam is really helpful to each other. I know you may not me but most of my friends are your friends and I thought that we should be friends too. You are amazing stories and I think we should sometimes work together if you want to. And I would love your feedback on my stories too.

Reply

Hello Radhika! I just absolutely loved your comment so much! It really did touch my heart! :) Also, I am so glad you liked this story! Yeah, we should be friends! I like being friends with everyone on here. I am so flattered that you think of my stories that way! We should work together some time! I would love to read your stories too! =)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:03 Dec 28, 2020

That would be good. Yeah, it would be amazing if we would be friends.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:37 Dec 28, 2020

I would love your feedback on my stories in your free time. What are your plans for the new year?

Reply

I would be very glad to read your stories! Just celebrating with family, what about you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
05:38 Dec 28, 2020

Aww! This story was so sweet and left me feeling warm on the inside! Thank you for writing it! Happy new year! P.S. I put out a new story called 'Dear Diary', I would love to know your thoughts on it :)

Reply

Thank you so much! Also, I would love to read your story!

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:53 Dec 28, 2020

Thank you! And while you're at it, I also got another one out today, called 'A Promise to Future Me' which you can check out too :)

Reply

Haha, I already did. =)

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:56 Dec 28, 2020

Yay! Thank you!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Kate
09:39 Dec 30, 2020

A great story- I loved the twist with the two friends getting the sisters to be friends and I didn't see it coming! Just as many people say a twist should be (surprising yet inevitable). I also liked the deep point of view, whereby we get to directly see the thoughts of Lina. Did you want me to critique it?

Reply

Wow, thank you so much for your comment Mary! Also, yes, I would if you could spend the time to critique it!

Reply

Mary Kate
16:58 Dec 30, 2020

Great stuff- I just spotted a few things that line editors would pick up: It is good to avoid adverbs if possible- e.g. really, quickly, instantly. It is good to use a stronger verb as it sounds more impactful, e.g. instead of 'she ran quickly' someone could write ' she sprinted' The word 'suddenly' actually slows things down, which is the opposite of what the writer intends (it is often best to use it only within dialogue). 'Caught on' is a cliche- could this be said in different words? (cliches make the work look less original). Just a f...

Reply

Wow, thank you so much Mary for coming up with an excellent comment about my story! I really am shocked by this comment, and will definitely improve many of the things you listed next year. Again, thank you for spending so much of your valuable time on my story and working on this comment! I really appreciate it! :)

Reply

Mary Kate
19:15 Dec 30, 2020

Please don't be shocked! All writers do these things (you can see it in my earlier stories a bit). I just learned a lot about this sort of thing from online writing lessons/videos. :-)

Reply

Thank you! Also, that makes sense Mary! You're a really wise person!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
07:45 Dec 29, 2020

Hi Haripriya! This was such a sweet story, showing the friendship between two girls. I absolutely love the fact that while the two girls are best friends, their sisters are best friends, too! (Is it a coincidence? Because my novel characters are the same way!) It was short and really nice to read! Yes, you have improved a lot since you joined Reedsy! I must say I loved your last story of 2020. I hope you have a great 2021 and continue writing many more amazing stories!!

Reply

Hello Akshaya! I am so glad you liked this friendship story! Also, you know the quote "Great minds think alike", well I think that is exactly what happened! But I am so glad that you are excited for more stories! It really means a lot!❤️😊

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:38 Dec 30, 2020

Hi Haripriya! Yes, I agree with that quote and I am sure that it is what happened! Of course, that is my pleasure! :) ❤️

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:59 Dec 31, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
22:15 Dec 28, 2020

Hey Haripriya!!!! Me, Jennie, Mira, Celeste, Nainika, and Kate Reynolds are a part of the marshmallows, and I'm thinking we should turn it into a downvote police, like we go and upvote peeps when they downvoted.

Reply

That's a wonderful idea Luke! Thanks for sharing this to me! :)

Reply

. .
22:22 Dec 28, 2020

Np!! If anyone you know is downvoted, just tell anyone of us. :D

Reply

Sure! I'll do that! :)

Reply

. .
23:55 Dec 28, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
06:22 Dec 28, 2020

Hello, Haripriya!! You've read so many of my stories and left feedback, so I decided I should do the same. To begin with, this is a super sweet story. I loved the plot. I have a few points of critique, though. 1. Yourushsomuchitslikeahhhhhfinishthestorynownownownownow (You rush so much its like ahhhh finish the story now now now now) hehe. Basically, you write like you're running a sprint. Try to slow down a little and tell more of a story. Just curious, but do you know how many words the story had? 2. Some grammar mistakes here and there...

Reply

Hi Megan!! I love your comment so much! I saw your comment so late because my notifications was filled with others, so sorry! 1. Usually, I write stories between 2,000 to 3,000 words. But I didn't get much thought to expand this story, so I decided to keep it short and simple. I actually didn't want to write a story for this prompt, but I wanted to push myself to write all 5 stories because it has been a couple of weeks since I did that, so yeah. 2. Really? I did! Ahhh, I am so sorry!! I'll try to go back and fix it. But thanks for letting...

Reply

Megan Sutherland
17:34 Dec 28, 2020

Of course!! I know I've said this many times, but your name is so pretty! lol <3

Reply

Thank you! Really? Aww, Megan, I love your name too!!! ❤️❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
23:14 Jan 03, 2021

Oh, the ending beautiful! I loved this story!

Reply

Aww, thank you so much Kylie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
18:11 Jan 01, 2021

i love love LOVE the names for your violin and bow and shoulder rest! i play the violin, been playing for 3 1/2 years (same as you!)

Reply

WOW! Are we like secret twins or something?? I am so glad you like those names! Just curious, what are your violin, bow, and shoulder rest's names? (Assuming you even name them, and if you don't it's ok. I'll consider myself a bit weird...) Really? You have too! That's amazing! I can't believe it! We really must be secret internet twins! XP

Reply

Amaya .
18:50 Jan 01, 2021

i know right?!?! actually i haven't named mine, but it's not because I don't want to, I just haven't yet. Ideas?!?! i know right!!!! i love your new name btw, how come you decided to change it? Also could I call you Priya? If you like that?

Reply

Exactly!! Also, I guess some good violin names could be: 1. Melody 2. Tune These are all I could come up with! Oh, that's because since it is the New Year, I wanted to change the name, profile, and bio! But of course you can! :)

Reply

Amaya .
18:58 Jan 01, 2021

oooh pretty!!! ah yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
18:58 Jan 01, 2021

oh i was also wondering if you could look at. my bio?

Reply

I did! I completely will sign up!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
15:00 Jan 01, 2021

Hey, you changed your name!

Reply

Haha, glad you noticed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:14 Dec 30, 2020

You know any jokes?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Niveeidha Palani
04:31 Dec 30, 2020

Hi Haripriya, This story had a lovely plot, however, altering some everyday words would make this story better. You could add more descriptions to take the reader into a more detailed place. :) Have a great day ahead.

Reply

Thank you Niveeidha. I really appreciate your feedback! :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
01:36 Dec 31, 2020

No problem. It was my pleasure. :)

Reply

Aww, thank you!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
06:49 Dec 31, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:21 Dec 29, 2020

Hola amiga

Reply

Show 0 replies
Claudia Morgan
12:08 Dec 28, 2020

NOOOO MY HEART ISSS OVERRHEATTING FROM HOW WARM AND FUZZYY I FEEEL AAAAA

Reply

Haha!! I am so glad you think that way Ana! :)

Reply

Claudia Morgan
15:00 Dec 28, 2020

No problem, you're great writer

Reply

Claudia Morgan
15:38 Dec 28, 2020

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:09 Jan 03, 2021

i got a new story out, could you check it out and leave some feedback?

Reply

Show 0 replies
05:15 Jan 02, 2021

Hey Hari! I love how your stories are always heartwarming, and they are usually always about friendship, sister hood, or just something that is really sweet. This one was nice too! I loved how the drama was resolved in the end, it was really just all so nice! Great job Hari! Ps...is it okay if I still call you Hari? Or you would prefer Laila?

Reply

Hello!! Thank you for commenting on my story! Also, of course, you can call me whatever you would prefer! I don't mind! :)

Reply

20:34 Jan 02, 2021

Of course! Okay! I'll stick with Hari😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:08 Jan 01, 2021

WOW! Just wanted to say how much I love this story and the great name change!

Reply

Thank you Amber (Johanna), it's very much appreciated. Also, I hope you had a great New Year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.