38 comments

Funny

Cruel and Unusual.


I imagine, like most people you’d prefer a sunny day. Not too hot, not too humid. A day to spend outside doing whatever floats your boat. Including floating in a boat on a placid lake.


However, some rain must fall. Ideally, as in Camelot, rain will only fall at night and never obstruct the sun. But life’s not ideal, is it? You will need to put up with a shower now and then. A mere sprinkling, barely enough to turn on the wipers. The kind of minor nuisance you hardly notice. If someone would ask later how the weather had been, you wouldn’t even remember the few tiny drops.


Some headaches are like that.


A minor nuisance. A nose-scruncher, like the tiniest pimple it’s not worth mentioning. You may rub the spot without thought in an attempt to soothe the ache. Maybe a cool glass of water will still the budding discomfort. You are probably used to these little headaches and carry on. Maybe you are a tad less cordial, have just a little less patience with solvency and ignorance. Most of the time, this gentle rain, this blemish on your day, this common headache will disappear quickly and we’re right as rain again.


Other times the sprinkles turn into drops and may even grow into a downpour. The kind where you’ll need an umbrella maybe your galoshes are inadequate and if you really must go outside, you may want to consider wearing your rubber boots, if not waders. Like the relentless monsoon that foreshadows the building of an ark, or the pimple that flourishes into a festering carbuncle on prom night, so may a headache become so debilitating that no amount of acetaminophen will resolve it. Nothing less than a good stiff drink or two, for then at least you know it’s a hangover and not a death sentence, and eight to ten hours of sleep will cure the thing.


Are you familiar with thunderstorms? Of course, you are. Who hasn’t cowered under their bed in the presence of nature’s fury in the form of repeated lightning and window rattling thunder? Who hasn’t despaired at the loss of a beloved television when that lightning proved to have been just a tad too close? Who hasn’t prayed for sanity while desperately trying to keep the car on the bridge while crossing Lake Pontchartrain during a storm with gale force winds? Well, maybe I’m only one of a few fools who has actually done that. I know not everyone can say they have lived through a hurricane or witnessed a tornado. After all it takes a certain fanaticism, a devil-may-care-my -life insurance-is-paid-up attitude to actually go chase a tornado. Reports and pictures of the aftermaths may remind you of nature’s force and vengeance.


And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a migraine.


Imagine, if you will, that someone, no not a friend, someone else, hits you between your eyes with a brick. One of those red baked clay things. Or if your attacker is strong, he or she may prefer one of those grey bricks. Like one of those you used in college to make a bookcase, before you heard of Ikea. That’s the one I’m talking about.

Maybe a powerful, and very stubborn tornado has decided to scramble your frontal lobe. Or maybe gremlins have set up a smithy behind your eyes.

You may even think that the Marquis de Sade and Rudolf Hess have joined efforts and attached electrodes to key point in your brain. Now they are testing to see how long you will stay sane while they relentlessly electrify you.


Are you with me so far?


The sudden, debilitating pain, accompanied by loss of basic reasoning, coordination, speech and vision overwhelms you. Even a nightlight is too bright to tolerate. A lullaby too raucous to listen to, figuring out how to start your car is too technical, and undoing the buttons on your shirt takes too much motor and cognitive skills.

Not even a mother’s ‘there, there’ will help. The only thing that will make it all better is Imitrex. Blessed Imitrex. It will work quickly and effectively.


If


And this is important, if you can ingest this miracle worker.


Please close your eyes – unless you’re reading this, then keep them open – and visualize.


A Blister Pack.


Those sheets of innocent looking clear plastic bubbles each one holding a magic pill. All you have to do is release the little darling and swallow it. Assuming you have manual dexterity, a minimal amount of problem solving and vision.


First you must turn on the light in the bathroom where you store your pills. Then you have to rummage through your medicine cabinet or drawer and find the strip with the little bubbles. Now, make sure you open your eyes, for you don’t want to grab the stool softeners instead. Yes, by all means, go find your reading glasses, because they are not on your nose, are they? Come back to the too well-lit bathroom, squint against the painful light and read the teensy print on the back of each teensy blister.


Yes, I’ll wait while you go find your magnifying glass.


Carefully separate one half-inch by a quarter-inch blister from the rest of the strip. Yes, I know it is smaller than your thumb nail and stop whimpering.


Now, and I pity you if you recently trimmed your fingernails, worry one corner. No not just any corner, only that one, the one that has the tiny little arrow. Right, that one. Worry that corner till you can grab the coated paper and tear it away. No don’t break it! Pull it gently away from the devil’s spawn of a pill holder.


I am sorry, but you’re not quite done. Yes, I know, opening your eyes is too painful. Standing upright is too much to ask. Yes, I know, you are considering swallowing the whole thing as is, and hope your stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve at least enough of the packaging to get to the pill. But let me assure you, and this is the voice of experience, don’t do it.


Next you have to push one of your fingernails through the foil backing of the blister at just the right spot, to release your savior. There you did it!


Oh, shit! No, don’t cry, please don’t cry. It happens, they are so tiny, they will slip through your numb fingers and roll down the drain.


Okay, Let’s start again.


June 02, 2024 11:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Alexis Araneta
17:56 Jun 02, 2024

Wow !!! This is using the rather tough prompt and using it very well. I love how well you described the migraine and the ordeal to get medication. Great flow. Wonderful work !

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:04 Jun 02, 2024

Thanks Alexis. I should have filed in under creative non-fiction, or even plain non-fiction. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:01 Jun 12, 2024

Know your enemy. You sure know the migraine. Nicely done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:14 Jun 12, 2024

Thank you, Darvico. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Dal Nogare
01:00 Jun 11, 2024

Very funny without seemingly trying too hard. The story flows together well and I can feel the pain of the migraine. Great job!

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:16 Jun 11, 2024

Thank you, Mary. I'm so glad you enjoyed my story. And yes, it's painfully ludicrous. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John McPhee
19:55 Jun 10, 2024

This story made me smile and recall a newspaper column I once wrote about a very similar thing Trudy! It was about how cruel drug companies were in packaging cold, sinus, and allergy pills that did not have the foil background, but paper instead. I mentioned that I would have had trouble peeling back the paper if I were healthy! Great spin on the prompt, hope it's not based (too often) on real-life experience, but somehow I think it might be. Great job!

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:19 Jun 10, 2024

Thanks, John for the wonderful feedback. Yes on the life experience. But I've outsmarted them. When I get a refill, I liberate each pill and store them in a pill bottle. Fool me once, etc LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Denney Owen
13:52 Jun 10, 2024

Wow, this is such a beautiful and relatable description of headaches and migraines. I love how you compared them to different types of weather, it totally captures the range of experiences perfectly. I struggle sometimes with headaches, and this hit home. Your writing really pulled me in and made me feel every moment, vividly. Great job!

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:07 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you, Denney. Sorry to hear you get headaches as well, but then, who doesn't? Thanks for you lovely comments. A great way to start my day. 😊

Reply

Denney Owen
21:19 Jun 10, 2024

Yeah, it happens sometimes but next time I'll remember your story and feel better haha. Have a lovely day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
V. S. Rose
17:13 Jun 09, 2024

I imagine this story must be from unfortunate experience :) Migraines can be brutal. I liked the suspense buildup and horror-like elements which put a comedic spin on the process of trying to ease a headache.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rabab Zaidi
03:43 Jun 09, 2024

Whew!! What a terrific description!! Well done, Trudy!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
04:48 Jun 09, 2024

Thank you, Rabat. Amazing what feelings one tiny little blister pack can evoke. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
20:40 Jun 07, 2024

I'm speechless after reading this, Trudy....!! Why you may ask...? Because it was that GOOD! When I finished this I had a big smile on my face!!! In the beginning, you described exactly how I like my sunny days, not to hot or humid and just going outside to enjoy the day. Then further on, the humor made me laugh out loud. I do suffer from migraines sometimes and everything you talked about is true...lol. Oh, and those blister packs, you are so right!! Hahaha. This was really well done! One thing I also wanted to say, is how impresse...

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:57 Jun 07, 2024

Daniel your timing is excellent! I had so hoped that last week's entry had impressed the right person enough to send it through. Getting your comments just now is like oysters on the half shell, chased by Vodka. Like Gouda chased by Bols, like a warm hug. Thanks.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:02 Jun 07, 2024

You're welcome!! This was an excellent story! I'm glad my timing was spot on!! You are such a great storyteller that every time you are in the running, people need to prepare for a loss, hahaha!!!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:38 Jun 07, 2024

Aw! Keep sweet talking. You had me at speechless. LOL No, seriously. THANKS! ( and I'm sorry you get migraines as well. They are the pits, aren't they? Ugh!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:35 Jun 07, 2024

Cleverly done. Not easy to write an interesting story on such a brief process. And it had to be brief to fill the prompt. You described the gamut of different headaches so well.

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:38 Jun 07, 2024

😏 Thank you Kaitlyn. They say to write what you know.

Reply

22:10 Jun 07, 2024

Poor you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
17:28 Jun 05, 2024

I feel you know what you're talking about here and I sympathize. The details are at once funny and excruciating. You keep us engaged throughout, hoping for relief. We are feeling the pain. Well done!

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:39 Jun 05, 2024

:-) Thanks Karen. You're right, this frustration (with all blister pack, but especially that one) has been brewing for a long time. Thank you, for your feedback. It means a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harland Chambers
01:48 Jun 05, 2024

The magnifying glass always makes me laugh! Great story, Trudy! A difficult prompt that you tackle with ease.

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:52 Jun 05, 2024

Thanks! This one grew from sheer frustration. 🤕🤨😵‍💫

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
20:06 Jun 04, 2024

Omg I literally have Imitrix in my purse at all times!!! They only give you nine in a pack and they can go fast! A light story on a heavy pain! I relate.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:36 Jun 04, 2024

I know! As if I'm only allowed 9 headaches per months (not counting the ones that go down the drain). I now open all of mine when I don't have a migraine and store them in an empty pill bottle. I almost sent a ranting letter to the co. that makes those infernal blister packs one day. Thanks, Hannah. It's a painful subject. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
19:25 Jun 04, 2024

Body horror stories always creep me out. I have voluntarily inflicted enough pain on my own to relate to all this. Once again your talent shines through here. I think Reedsy should publish a "Best Of" edition with all the great stories that are submitted each year. This one should be one of them. Love the brevity btw.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:39 Jun 04, 2024

Thank you TE. This one came from the heart - um no, the head. And Reedsy does publish a "best" magazine (Prompted) but I doubt I'll even be in it. Thanks for the vote of confidence. :-)

Reply

TE Wetzel
21:25 Jun 04, 2024

OH, cool. Thanks for letting me know. I'm new to this site. It would be a tragedy if you were not included in that compendium. Hope you are well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
05:49 Jun 03, 2024

The vivid sensory details and descriptions do a great job of showing instead of telling. Well crafted writing! Good job!

Reply

Trudy Jas
08:21 Jun 03, 2024

Thank you, Kristi. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
20:48 Jun 02, 2024

LOL, at the end! I love how you don't explain WHY your explanation is so detailed and precise. I also love the pain implicit in every word and phrase, and then the killer ending. Brilliant, and I should have had more faith, to be honest. As I was following the story, I couldn't help but think, 'This isn't funny, this isn't funny. How am I going to break it to Trudy that she isn't funny?' I was preparing for a gentle letdown, and then, bam! The unexpected twist at the end. Hilarious, isn't it? This brings up the fact that YOU DO KNOW IT!! Mig...

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:15 Jun 02, 2024

Amen, brother! Froom one fellow sufferer to another. :-) Thank you, Joe. For hanging in till the end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
18:43 Jun 02, 2024

I saw this prompt but was too intimidated to try it. You wrote a great story about a damn headache! Well done, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:44 Jun 02, 2024

Thanks Daryl! Born out of frustration. :-) :-(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:13 Jun 02, 2024

Think I have a headache 🥴

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:21 Jun 02, 2024

Take a powder (it's easier) LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.