67 comments

Romance

Author's Note: This is a Part 2 to a story I've written called "Spring Formal", at least it uses a couple of the same characters. You don't really need to read it to enjoy this one, but I recommend reading it. That's all, enjoy it!

You still love pictures. How do I know? I’ve been stalking your Instagram, watching sadly as you drag other boys, boys who aren’t me, to photo opportunity after photo opportunity. What I would give to be in their shoes, cheeks aching from the smiles, eye-rolling at every ‘Say Cheese’. Of course, giving in to your puppy dog eyes, because who wouldn’t? 

Is your mom still overprotective? Or are you your own woman now? Do you go by your own rules? Have you convinced your mom that you’re mature enough, responsible enough, to set your own boundaries? 

She obviously let you go to college, dorm there even. How do I know? Well, I watch your youtube channel too, where you’re constantly posting stuff about how great Notre Dam’s living quarters are. It didn’t surprise me when you made it to such a good college. I’ve always envied you for your smarts. 

You became a photographer, naturally. Though you don’t need schooling for that. I guess you probably didn’t want to let go of having a system. And considering how smart you are, it’s a shame…You should’ve become a doctor, you had the intellect.

You always hated blood tests though, and blood in general. I don’t think you could have endured it for a living. 

Do you miss me? I don’t know. After I left...you never answered any of my texts, any of my calls. You were probably mad, not that I blame you. I can’t believe I just left. I’m so stupid. I had so much time to tell you. I mean, sure, long distance might not have worked too well, but at least if we were going to break up, it would’ve been...would’ve been less messy. Nope, I did it at the dance. And I nearly left you without a ride

And now, for some reason, you’re walking into this coffee shop, practically radiating light. Why are you here? I  know for a fact you didn’t say anything about moving on any of your social media pages. I run my hand through my hair, straightening out my shirt.

Should I do it? Should I say hi? 

You’re at the straw table now, mixing your drink. I take a deep breath and walk over, pretending to be immersed in the types of sugar on the table. My hand brushes yours as you reach for a packet. I feel a familiar spark as you look up.

“Oh! Sorry!” you say, a blush creeping up your cheeks. I look up too. Nows the time to say it…

“It’s no problem, really,” I say, grabbing a random sugar packet and preparing to leave.

Derek? Is that you?” you say. I freeze in my tracks turning around.

“Kate…”I say awkwardly. You finish stirring your drink and come up to me, pulling me into a hug. 

“How have you been?” I stiffen at your touch but eventually hug you back.

“Well-”

“Why didn’t you text!” you say, breaking away from the hug. I motion for you to come to the table I was sitting at, formerly alone.  You sit in front of me.

“Aren’t you mad?” is all I say.

Mad? Come on, Derek, I’m not a teenager anymore. We broke up, I cried, but I got over it. How come I never saw you at school anymore?” you say, making me feel like a teenager as you stare at me with your big brown eyes, waiting for me to answer.

“No one told you?”

“Told me what?”

“I moved. Day after the dance actually…” I say, looking down into my cooling coffee as I await your reply. 

Really! Well, that still doesn’t explain why you didn’t stay in touch.”

“I- I tried. Didn’t you get any of my calls, my texts?”

“Oh! Oh. My. God. Stupid me. I got a new phone the day after the dance. I know, what a coincidence. Well, I didn’t get a new phone, just a new number. I forgot why… It was a while ago. But, anyway, that’s all behind us now.”

“Yeah, yeah… How come you’re here?” you blink in surprise.

“I wanted….coffee? Oh! You mean here in California. Just, sightseeing…” you say, looking out the window of the cafe. 

“How’s everything? I heard you went into photography?” ugh! Now she’s going to know I stalk her Instagram!

“Oh! Yeah...It’s really fun, I mean, I don’t know if you remember my obsession with photos…” I laugh.

“What?! You?! Pictures?! No…” I say sarcastically. You laugh too.

“What about you, Mr. Author?” how do you know that?

“Wha- How do you know about that?”

“Oh really? I could say the same about you. How’d you know I’m a photographer?” I laugh, knowing your joking tone. Is it weird that I still remember all of this about you?

“Social media exists you know…” You laugh, and it’s such a sweet sound, I can’t help but smile with you.

“Yeah, I know. You know what else I know? "Curses and Creations" is the best book series ever written.”

“You read my books?!” no, Derek she’s talking about the other Curses and Creations book series.

“Yeah, I did...I...I’ve missed you, Derek,” you say finally, taking a small sip out of your drink, which I assume is coffee. My drink is long forgotten, probably cold by now. “I’m sorry for hugging you earlier, you probably have a girlfriend waiting for you.”

“Girlfriend? Does going to get coffee alone really scream ‘dating’?” I joke.

“Ah, well, I guess not.”

“What about you? Now that the cats out of the bag and you know I follow your Insta, don’t think I haven’t seen your posts with your countless boyfriends.” I say, my voice light, but my words heavy. I’m curious…

“My heart was never into it Derek...You should know my fake smile more than anyone…” you say. You smile again, but it doesn’t reach your eyes. If you know I know your fake smile, why do you bother? You look out the window again, taking another sip of your coffee. 

“You staying for long in California?” I say, changing the topic.

“The whole summer, at least. I came by car, so technically I can really stay as long as I want. And there are always gigs for a freelance photographer around…” you say, looking straight at me.

“We should do this again soon,” I say. You nod, smiling and reaching across the table to grab a napkin. Your hand brushes mine again, which is resting on the table. You leave it there for a moment, then quickly grab a napkin.

“You have a pen?” I nod, reaching into my pocket for my trusty ballpoint. It’s an author thing. You scribble something on the napkin and hand it to me.

“My new number. And...the address to the hotel I’m staying at. See you around?” you say, getting up and grabbing your drink. I nod, getting up too.

“See ya,” I say, but you’re already out the door, brown hair blowing in the wind.

August 15, 2020 01:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

Amany Sayed
01:12 Aug 15, 2020

Oh my god! I did it! I got two stories in one day! If you didn't read the author's note above, this is a sort of Part 2 to one of my stories "Spring Formal". If you want to know more about Derek moving and stuff, I recommend reading it. Other than that, there's nothing you won't really understand. Also, the series Derek wrote in this, "Curses and Creations" is not an actual series, at least that I know of. Sounds pretty cool though, no? If you didn't realize it, Kate is the girl and the story is told in second person of Derek to Kate. It...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Doubra Akika
20:45 Aug 15, 2020

This is really good, Amany. The characters seem so real! It’s all those awkward things people do in real life that I picked up on. Like the part where he saw her and walked over and still wanted to play it off like he didn’t know she was the one. You have a unique type of structure (I don’t know how to explain this lol 😂). Amazing job once again!

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:44 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you sooooo much! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Hehe, I'll just take it as a compliment. Thanks!

Reply

Doubra Akika
01:07 Aug 16, 2020

It was most definitely a compliment! And yes, I did enjoy it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
10:07 Aug 15, 2020

It's an amazing story P.S read my new story The Secret Mission Meeting

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:12 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
10:39 Aug 18, 2020

Oh wow! Two stories in a day! Sweet! I loved how you conveyed this story in second person PS - If you have time, could you check out my latest story, (*Grandpa Laurence*)? I'd be glad if you could leave feedback! :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:04 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you so much! Glad you liked it! Of course!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
22:00 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
03:55 Aug 16, 2020

That story was amazing! Just a suggestion, though: If you're talking about the Paris Notre Dame, then change the spelling. Otherwise, never mind :) I had to go back and read Part 1,I liked this one very much. Awesome!

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:41 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you! No, I was talking about the one in the US. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
15:31 Aug 15, 2020

Wow! This was awesome! The characters seem so real! You have a talent for that! Great job!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:01 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks so much! That really means a lot to me! :D

Reply

Avery G.
21:01 Aug 15, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:32 Aug 15, 2020

Wowowow, so good!!! These characters seem so REAL, as does their relationship. You completely captured how people like this would feel meeting again! Dang, amazing job! (Also: 2 stories in a day? GEEZ, nice work!) Goodnight! ~Aerin

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:13 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks, Aerin! Hehe, I know, I'm so proud of myself :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
17:53 Aug 17, 2020

Yes what she said.

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:03 Aug 17, 2020

:D Thanks!

Reply

02:54 Aug 19, 2020

Hey, Amany! I just came here to say I just posted a new story and I’d love if you checked it out when you have a chance 😉😅😁. Goodnight!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:22 Aug 19, 2020

Just went by and left you some feedback!

Reply

19:33 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:32 Aug 20, 2020

Hiiii, Amany! I’m back. AGAIN. Seriously, I’ve left multiple comments on this. Anywaaays... By 9 am, you’ll have way more...never mind, I tried writing ‘karma points’ in emojis but it failed. Tryin’ that again...by 9 am, you’ll have way more...KARMA POINTS! Ima go on an upvoting spree of you. My goal is to get you to 3800+ (you’re at around 3700) points. So, uhhhh, yeah!!! ~Aerin P. S. Would you mind upvoting a couple of my comments? If so thanks ;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sia S
02:27 Aug 18, 2020

Wow 👏 you caught the awkwardness really well!

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:03 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Sia S
13:53 Aug 18, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
00:47 Aug 17, 2020

I love how you describe Derek’s longing and obsession with Katie in the beginning. I feel like I can feel his heart from it (if that makes any sense haha) Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:52 Aug 17, 2020

Thanks so much! Yeah, it does make sense, and I'm glad you thought so! You too! PS. Did I ever tell you how much I enjoyed your fish pun story? Cuz I really loved it...

Reply

Lily Kingston
01:12 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Amany Sayed
01:15 Aug 17, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
08:44 Aug 16, 2020

These are two very fun and realistic characters and I thought you pulled off second person well here! 😁 Their interaction was a little awkward but in the end that’s what made them relatable, good job on that! And it was nice to see that they were stalking each other haha Good stuff, keep it up! 😊

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:42 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you! Yes, hehe. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
נιмму 🤎
16:39 Aug 15, 2020

omgggg personally as someone who actually read your story "spring formal" this was really exciting!! i felt so sad for derek and (forgot her name lol sorry "you) but im so glad they bumped into each other. This was a great addition to the story and im so glad you wrote it. You did it really well, it was a fun read. You should write a part three!! Don't stop lol😝

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:05 Aug 15, 2020

Thank youuuu kate, lol. Yeah, me too. Hehe, maybe...You ARE the second person to ask... :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
03:15 Aug 15, 2020

Another sweet story inspired by this prompt!

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:12 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you so much Rhondalise! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jesna Anna S.
09:17 Aug 19, 2020

Good story! Keep writing! I appreciate if you can take some time to read my stories and offer your comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:11 Aug 17, 2020

You captured the awkwardness and heart break perfectly ! Smooth read. Well done

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:14 Aug 17, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vicky S
21:02 Aug 16, 2020

I like the ending and enjoyed your characters

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:40 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jamela Faye
17:01 Aug 16, 2020

I'm not fond of love stories since I'm still very young but this one is something I'd totally say after meeting a long lost friend of mine! And i'll read the spring formal just in case...

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:12 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks for reading! I personally do love romance stories, so you probably won't read a story of mine where romance isn't included. Okay! Hope you like it! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Buono
16:04 Aug 16, 2020

Great story. I love the mentions of Notre Dame, it was my dream school while growing up.

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:23 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
17:05 Aug 15, 2020

Happy ending! At least for now. I like how you did this - it's a unique structure and it worked. I also like how you are leaving the door opening to another part at some point - maybe? I feel invested in Kate and Derek now. Great work!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:02 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks so much! I'm so glad you liked it. Maybe...These two lovebirds are fun to write about... Thanks again! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:56 Aug 15, 2020

That was amazing!!! I know I've said that to most of your stories, but I really mean it!!! I'm terrible at second person, but I think that you've really done it well! Keep writing!

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:13 Aug 15, 2020

Aw, thank you! I'm glad you thought so! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
16:59 Sep 03, 2020

Great job! and two stories in one day?!?! How do you do that? I have a hard time coming up with 1 in a week!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.