202 comments

Inspirational

I was nowhere and everywhere.


The waves crashed over me. My eyes stared up into nothing as I laid on the beach, but my mind... well, it was tranquil. There was nothing that it focused upon in particular, but it was still and centered nonetheless.


There was a cloud above me. From where I laid drawn to the earth it seemed like a ghost, an apparition. Quick thoughts transformed it into a being floating across the skyline, and for a while that was what it was. There was no objection in the silent state of mind I existed in.


When the seagulls flew overhead, I didn't look up or flinch. I didn't gasp at the noise of their calls. I laid. In the sand.

**


Lilliana's vacation had been perfect. No one found it in them to object; there was clear evidence of her happiness and serenity on returning. In fact, no one took it upon themselves to bring it up. There was no point in ruining her mood by reminding her it was over. To her, though, it never was.


Lily drank no coffee or tea. To the coworkers that had seen her fits of caffeine-craving anger, this came as a surprise. To her, nothing more normal had ever been.


She left work each day in a happy haze, letting the inconveniences fall away. After all, what good was there in exciting herself over them? They would pass, and bliss would sustain.


Whenever Lily woke up at night in the month that passed her vacation, she got straight to business. There was no wasting time on her end; running to the pier to get her blood flowing was now a daily activity. It was no matter to her that she consistently awoke at four in the morning. To her, the vacation was gospel; even time bent to the will of her vacation customs.


The beach, that was where she had gone. Not a special beach, not an important one, not one of sentimental value. She had needed a break, so she got one.

**


Three months earlier, as Lilliana Hawbur awoke, she grumbled without shame. Her hair was frizzy with curls tangling themselves over and over. Even as she ran through her mug with a brush, it popped back up to bite her.


"Damn! Ugh, work already?" Old age had stretched her watch's leather until it was almost white, but Lily didn't notice. She was a sloth and proud, and there was nothing she would care about if she could help it.


As she hurried to slop on a pile of peanut butter on a floppy slice of bread, the refrigerator made a clanging noise. Lily popped open the door to check out what had fallen. Ah, the glass jar of milk. Lovely, spilling everywhere, shards everywhere. Well, that's something for tomorrow Lily to worry about, she decided.


When she got to the office, the door was ajar. It wasn't wide open or closed shut, just ajar. Lily also didn't notice this. There was nothing but the bare minimum that crossed her mind. After all, what else could she need?


Oh, dang it. She hadn't gotten her coffee. In all her rushing she'd forgotten. It was the fifth time this week, she thought, what could I be doing wrong? That wasn't a question that she was ready to answer, though, nor did she think it mattered.


Lily would pick some up at the break room. That was an efficient solution. See, no problem whatsoever. There was nothing to worry about after all.


Then she realized they were out of coffee. That's a shame.

**


Two months before the vacation, Lillian walked out from within the changing room.


"Do you like it?" she asked. Had she asked this question a month ago or two months in the future, there would be no answer. In this point of time, there was.


"Of course I do! It looks stunning on you, babe."


"Aw, Jamie, stop flattering." She soaked in every piece of praise he gave her, despite faking annoyance. Lil, what Jamie called her, relished each and every moment she had with her beloved man, nothing less.


"Wanna go home? There's a boxing match on." Jamie, always rushing rushing rushing. Well, it had tired Lil out anyway, though she simply stood there and modeled like a glamoured pig.


They fired up the engine to the car as the heater blasted the interior with warm air. It was wintertime, not the warmth of summer, which neither of them appreciated. Despite the sharp cold, one had to admit there was never a dull weather moment in their town. Certainly not while they were alive. Why, there was the hurricane in '02, some sort of tropical storm in '08... there were too many to list. None of the trivia mattered to our sweet couple, though, they simply cared about each other. Nothing more, nothing less.


While the lovebirds were making their way home, the pier was bustling miles away. Shrimp was being dropped off. Gallon after gallon after gallon of shrimp. Oh, and some trout. How could anyone forget the trout? It would be uncanny to imagine how Lil would see the pier in a couple dozen days... to live out those days indifferently in the eyes of one person to have a new start in a meaningless measure of time...

***


One month before the vacation, depression had found Lilliana. There was no other way to say her name, no fond nickname that didn't constrict the edges of her throat in sadness. She was sad. That was it, the purest form of sad. A sad that takes over all things, a sad that fogs up the glasses through which you see the world.


There is no other sad or happy in a world of this type of sadness. There is only the pain. After all, the sadness brings about the pain, and it is nothing if not efficient.


Lilliana had come to completely lose faith in all sorts of feelings. They were, to her, not a waste but a plague. A cautionary tale was all she was now, all she felt to exist as. There was no other purpose to life. In other words, nihilism.


Love? A nincompoop's attempt at making the world pretty in the form of another person.


Happiness? A delusion.


Lasting pleasure? There is no such thing.


Sadness? Now that's a truth. That's there and will always be there, was there when Jamie took his car from her driveway. Stars were watching above, she thought, laughing at me. Well, its not as if I deserve better.

**


Two months after the vacation...

March 01, 2021 21:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

202 comments

Mira Caplan
17:01 Mar 02, 2021

YOU SHOULD BE FAMOUS BY NOW WHY AREN'T YOU FAMOUS

Reply

. .
17:03 Mar 02, 2021

LOLLLLLLLL WAS IT CONFUZZLING?????? ALSO I DON'T THINK IT WAS INTENTIONAL BUT IN ABIGAIL AIRUEDOMWINYA'S NEWEST STORY THE MAIN CHARACTER IS NAMED MIRA LOL.

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:06 Mar 02, 2021

WHAT I'M GOING TO READ IT

Reply

. .
17:08 Mar 02, 2021

IT WAS LEGIT SO GOOOOOOOD I GAVE HER SOME FEEDBACK

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:13 Mar 02, 2021

YES IT WASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! (Not just because the main character had my name, lol)

Reply

. .
17:13 Mar 02, 2021

XDXDXDXD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
16:17 Mar 02, 2021

OMGG YOU WATCHED LEAP??? ITS LIKE THE MOST UNDERRATED ANIMATION MOVIE I HAVE EVER WATCHED APART FROM MAYBE BARBIE AND THE TWELVE DANCING PRINCESSES-

Reply

. .
16:24 Mar 02, 2021

I KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Reply

11:10 Mar 03, 2021

Me too! So good, although my family just critiqued the time period and all their flaws. Like, if the statue of liberty was still bing built it would still be copper colored, right? THEY DIDN'T CAE ABOUT THE AWESOME STORYLINE AT ALLLLLL!

Reply

. .
13:47 Mar 03, 2021

I LARB IT SO MUCH AND THE MUSICCCCCCCCC

Reply

18:53 Mar 03, 2021

YAAS!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
15:09 Mar 03, 2021

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YES MY MOM WAS MAINLY WORRIED THAT I WOULD BE LIKE 'VIVA LE RESISTANCE!!' AGAINST HER AFTER SEEING IT THO- BCS OF THAT ONE SCENE WHERE FELICIE WAS LIKE "YOU'RE NOT MY MOM" ALSO IT HAD MY IMMEDIATE RESPECT WHEN I FOUND OUT IT WAS MADE IN 2016. 2016 WAS LIKE THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE AND I CHERISH IT EVERYDAY IN HOPES THAT I NEVER FORGET IT. IS THAT WEIRD-

Reply

18:56 Mar 03, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEESSSSSSS! WE IS SO SIIIIMIIIILAAAAR!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
<inactive> .
03:32 Mar 03, 2021

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YESS NONE OF MY FRIENDS HAVE WATCHED IT AND MY MOM DIDN'T LIKE IT LIKE HOW IT'S AMAZING

Reply

. .
13:47 Mar 03, 2021

UGHHHHHHHHH WELL I LARB IT SO MUCH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
13:34 Mar 02, 2021

Oh dear. ohhhhhhhhhhhhh dearrrrrrrrrrrr at weird i was like oml YAs eheh no but wow even weird it was great!! weirdXgreat weart? weiat? ehhh anyway....i like the different POV's you used, first person, then switched to third....great job!!

Reply

. .
13:35 Mar 02, 2021

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!! Yes it was Weart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:38 Mar 02, 2021

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
13:35 Mar 02, 2021

ALSO emoji puzzle: trumpet of the swan, EB White?

Reply

. .
13:52 Mar 02, 2021

Nerpppppppppp

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:52 Mar 02, 2021

dang......hint?

Reply

. .
13:53 Mar 02, 2021

Your hint is that its the first part of a crazy long classic and it has a character named something like swan.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:04 Mar 02, 2021

OOOH that one...that ughh wait In search of lost time..right? but it was aLSO translated into remembrance of things past or something like that...???!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Anna May
13:26 Mar 02, 2021

DANG! This story was so amazing! I loved how real the characters were. By the way, beautiful names.

Reply

. .
13:30 Mar 02, 2021

Thanks you so much, Anna!!!!

Reply

Anna May
13:34 Mar 02, 2021

Your welcome! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
12:44 Mar 02, 2021

YAYYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:56 Mar 02, 2021

Alright, I have to commend everyone who this prompt, but for like personal reasons. I have like a hatred/fear of water and honestly all these stories are making me like... idk how to say it, but they’re very powerful. Great job!

Reply

. .
12:45 Mar 02, 2021

Thank you so much lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chloe Hanna
01:09 Mar 02, 2021

I love this! The shifting points of view are really interesting.

Reply

. .
13:53 Mar 02, 2021

Thanks, Chloe!!!

Reply

Chloe Hanna
15:39 Mar 02, 2021

No problem, you're amazing!!

Reply

. .
15:42 Mar 02, 2021

:D Too kind

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
23:49 Mar 01, 2021

This was in a really garbled chronological pattern... and I'm really in the mood for writing complicated and weirdly confusing stories I guess... suppose I'm falling into the Murakami hole... well, can't help it now.

Reply

Lilliane Wei
01:37 Mar 03, 2021

Hahahaha, it was a little bit confusing in the timeline but I think you could tell enough to know what was happening.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:12 Mar 01, 2021

You had me at the word "weird". I'm all for the weird. The story was, I admit, a bit strange. But I'm all here for it. You told a great story through snippets of Lilliana's (great name) recent life before her vacation. I loved your word choices as well. And now I'm curious about what happens after the vacation. Are you going to make a part 2 or no? Two things: Why was only the beginning snippet in first person? I'm going to assume that was in the POV of Lilliana, since she's the main character. Was this intentional? I'll be bluntly hone...

Reply

. .
23:38 Mar 01, 2021

Thanks you so much Annabelle!!! Nope it’s a stand-alone, yes it was intended, and yeah I need a better title lol.

Reply

00:17 Mar 02, 2021

You're welcome :) Ok, good to know. I honestly don't have any GOOD title ideas, but I have an idea, at least: "Before the Vacation"

Reply

. .
13:51 Mar 02, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDD Thanks for the title, do you like what I changed it to???

Reply

13:57 Mar 02, 2021

Thank youuu for using my idea!!! :))))

Reply

. .
14:05 Mar 02, 2021

:DDDDD No prob!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.