112 comments

Funny

Oh, no.

The screen turned black and on the very top “impostor” was written in dark red.

Oh, no. I’m literally the worst impostor ever. The screen should know that.

Then the screen turned into the map where us Among Us players travel through the map and accomplish our tasks to finish without getting killed by The Impostor. Namely, me.

Of course, I was The Impostor, so I cold only fake the tasks. I pretended to get to work and used my joystick to proceed to different rooms. When I was finally alone with another player in a room doing tasks, I pressed hard on my “KILL” button and I saw the blood squirting out of the body I just killed, and breaking in half. The top half of the body fell and let me see the one thick bone sticking straight out of the bottom half. I quickly headed to the vents to hide from the players who might be able to see me and vent to the far side of the ship. I vented into the room hidden from security and started to fake my tasks again.

Soon enough, the body I killed was reported. Immediately, players started asking where the dead body was, including me. The player who reported the dead body confessed that he forgot the name of that specific room in the ship. Of course, everyone would know that is suspicious. So I was completely ready to vote off that player when the time came for voting, but suddenly another player wrote that I was suspicious because almost everyone was in groups and they stuck together and traveled through the ship except me and a few others. The player wrote that I was acting the most suspicious.

“Me? And do you have proof?“ I confidently wrote back.

“Didn’t I just write it?” He replied.

Oh, no. Not again. Hurry, I need to write back to pretend to prove myself innocent. Hurry up.

”Oh, you call that proof? That’s proof for me being suspicious. You don‘t have proof for me being the impostor, do you?”

“You know, usual innocent people would write like “No, I swear I’m not impostor“ or “No but I’m not” but you just try to play it cool. Like it’s fine if you get voted off because you don’t care. Innocent people don’t do that.”

The time to vote is coming. You can’t fake or pretend no more. Just give it up. Give it in.

Voting time comes and all the players vote for me. Heck, even I did. There’s no doubt that I‘m officially the worst liar and impostor ever.

I soon got ejected out of the ship and the game ended. Then, I didn’t really feel about playing anymore.

I started surfing the internet about information for being a good impostor. I figured out that you have to talk, vote and accuse as if you were a Crewmate. Be as honest as possible about your own whereabouts, and don’t be too aggressive. If you start yelling “it’s blue” without a good reason, others will look at you with suspicion. Even if your early game aggression leads to another players eviction, you will have drawn attention to yourself and likely be next to go. 

Furthermore, Crewmates are less inclined to suspect you if they think you’re a bit of a noob. An occasional “who should I vote for?” or “I don’t know the name of the room” are subtle ways to help you achieve this. But do not exaggerate; players who continuously emphasize that this is “my first time playing, please don’t kill me” are bound to get voted out. You want to stir the conversation in the right direction, so don’t wait for things to go wrong. After a murder, you might want to casually ask another player where he came from, or what tasks he did. Crewmates cast accusations all the time, so joining in is not necessarily suspicious. If you do so early on, Crewmates may pick up on your accusation and start suspecting your victim. This rule is even more important when you encounter a witness. If another player saw you near a dead body or even kill someone, you know they are going to accuse you. A defensive position is usually not a strong one, so try to either accuse them first or explain yourself before they get the chance. For example, if Pink saw you walking close to the body before he reported, subtly mention that it was not Pink, as you both just walked into the room where the body was found. If Pink then starts questioning you, you have already explained yourself and are therefore more reliable.

As soon as I bundled up that much information, I figured I was ready. So I pressed on my Among Us app and joined a game. I was feeling ready. For the first time, I was feeling confident about being The Impostor. As usual, The screen turned black and on the very top “impostor” was written in dark red. Then the screen turned into the map where us Among Us players travel through the map and accomplish our tasks to finish without getting killed by The Impostor. Namely, me.

I killed another body and left it there while I vented to a different room. Again, the dead body was reported too soon. When it was time for the emergency meeting, I followed all the directions of the tricks as being The Impostor. I accused many of being The Impostor, and people listened to me.

“You’re a bad liar, you know.” A player tells me.

Wait, me? Does he know that I’m the impostor? How come?

You‘re a bad liar.” He repeats.

”You keep accusing people. That’s fine, but too many. If you want to be a good impostor, then you just have to play it cool while pretending to believe that innocent players are the impostors.“

But I followed all the instructions of my tricks. Everyone believed me except him. I guess that some people will always not believe.

I am a bad liar.

January 10, 2021 00:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

112 comments

Coco Longstaff
00:58 Jan 10, 2021

HEY YALL HOPE YOU ENJOYED TELL ME ASAP IF YOU PLAY AMONG US MY USERNAME IS AnderDaSea Dont ask but if youre desperate to know why then ask Anyway, go Among Us!

Reply

01:07 Jan 10, 2021

But you read my story right? It was my first one hope you liked it!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
01:12 Jan 10, 2021

Yas I did sorry I didnt comment yet wait like 5 mins

Reply

01:15 Jan 10, 2021

haha no its okay don't be sorry

Reply

Coco Longstaff
01:16 Jan 10, 2021

🥰

Reply

05:10 Jan 10, 2021

haha :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

HAHA!! The game...which is very popular, for some reason. Glad you were the impostor! I really liked this story Coco. It is a little different and good! :)

Reply

Coco Longstaff
01:54 Jan 10, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Your welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angelina S.
18:18 Feb 26, 2021

You took a different take on this piece of writing and its amazing. I play Among Us and the game is darn good. I really don't have anything to say about this 'cause it's literally awesome! You could reread your work next time to avoid mistakes like this: "...so I cold only fake the tasks." Great job anyways! ~ Inara

Reply

Coco Longstaff
22:38 Feb 26, 2021

Yas I know right the game is amazing. Maybe you could tell me your username? Oh, yes, ok. Thanks so much!

Reply

Angelina S.
06:23 Feb 27, 2021

Couldn't agree more! My username should be this: inara No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
01:00 Jan 10, 2021

This was great!!! I'd try and conform to the rules of the game a little more, bc there's no private chat and you can't type out long sentences.

Reply

Coco Longstaff
01:02 Jan 10, 2021

Ahh oki thx!

Reply

. .
01:02 Jan 10, 2021

No prob!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:56 Jan 10, 2021

**applause**

Reply

Coco Longstaff
00:56 Jan 10, 2021

Haha thanks do you play Among Us?

Reply

00:57 Jan 10, 2021

Yeah XD

Reply

Coco Longstaff
00:59 Jan 10, 2021

Ooh what username?

Reply

01:01 Jan 10, 2021

Its usually Beet lol

Reply

01:01 Jan 10, 2021

But lately Ive been doing Star Wars characters XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:02 Mar 02, 2021

Hey

Reply

Coco Longstaff
00:27 Mar 07, 2021

Hey

Reply

B. W.
00:28 Mar 07, 2021

How are ya?

Reply

Coco Longstaff
00:31 Mar 07, 2021

Kinda good In my place rn it’s Sunday so I have to do a ton of homework ugh Happy to be logged in again tho You?

Reply

B. W.
00:33 Mar 07, 2021

I guess I'm doing good, I'm a little bored and tired :/ though I managed to get another story out a bit ago.

Reply

Coco Longstaff
00:36 Mar 07, 2021

NICE! So glad to hear that Imma check it out

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
06:40 Jan 23, 2021

Heya

Reply

Coco Longstaff
07:47 Jan 23, 2021

Hihi

Reply

B. W.
18:02 Jan 23, 2021

how are you doing?

Reply

Coco Longstaff
22:34 Jan 23, 2021

I’m just a bit off. But I am going to the mall later today so that’s good. My place has been raining a lot right now its gotten quite hot so I’m gonna get some tank tops. Schools tomorrow I guess. You?

Reply

B. W.
22:58 Jan 23, 2021

I just want to relax, though i cant :/

Reply

Coco Longstaff
23:13 Jan 23, 2021

You got family issues? Homework?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eva Bhalla
23:01 Jan 21, 2021

I play Among us but in the story make sure you read over it. Like “I cold only fake tasks” be careful on that. Other than that i enjoyed it!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
07:23 Jan 22, 2021

Ohh oops sorrry thankss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zahra Daya
03:15 Jan 18, 2021

Hey! Really loved this story as I play Among Us myself! I also actually wrote a story on Among Us a couple weeks back. It's called 'The Deceivers Among Us' and I would love it if you could check it out and give me some feedback! Hope we can become friends :) -Zahra

Reply

Coco Longstaff
07:01 Jan 18, 2021

Ooo yes among us gooo Of course! Me 22

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:58 Jan 14, 2021

I love reading video game stories written by competent people! Excellent take on the prompt; people are assuming it has to be some sort of magical thing; just make it so that they don't lie!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:43 Jan 15, 2021

Ooo thanks so much! Lol hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
17:31 Jan 14, 2021

Yess, this is new, fresh and entertaining. This a modern approach and i love Among Us. Thank you for blessing us with this story! Your beginnings are amazing, they get me hooked in. Carry on writing! You have talent💜

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:43 Jan 15, 2021

AWWW THANKS OS MUCH!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hey priya is releasing ur story! MOtH bREaTHiNg

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:57 Jan 13, 2021

OK!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

New story out Coco!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:58 Jan 13, 2021

KK!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Up Voter
19:02 Jan 11, 2021

Amazing story, Coco! I really loved the top of this story since I'm a fan of among us!! Let me know if you're being downvoted!!! Have a memorable day :) Love, Upvoter

Reply

Coco Longstaff
21:53 Jan 11, 2021

Awwww thx so much

Reply

Up Voter
22:22 Jan 11, 2021

Of course!! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
17:26 Jan 11, 2021

NEW STORY

Reply

Coco Longstaff
21:54 Jan 11, 2021

👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kaveesha Ruwindi
08:29 Jan 11, 2021

lol... great guide! I've never played among us, but I still like it!!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:37 Jan 11, 2021

Haha almost everyone thinks that it’s me, but I’m actually not a quite bad liar. It’s just that I wrote it so it would follow the prompt. Thanks, you should try it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
09:46 Jan 10, 2021

Woah! This was a really unique story! I'm not yet obsessed with Among Us, I'm stopping myself from playing it so that I don't get addicted. But you just sold the game to me, it sounds like so much fun! I really enjoyed it, well done!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
10:36 Jan 10, 2021

Ahahaha thanks and of course, youre welcome!

Reply

Writer Maniac
10:59 Jan 10, 2021

Hey, I saw on your bio that you're a limelight, I'm one too!!! :D

Reply

Coco Longstaff
11:07 Jan 10, 2021

*Gasp* I literally gasped WOWOWOWOWOW YESSSSS TELL ME UR FAVE MEMBER NOWWW I AM TOTES IN LORRRRVE WITH ZH LIKE RIGHT NOW I HAVE A CRUSH ON THE SONG I STILL DO MY BFF LIKES CB, who I HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY WITH, my other friends like Jack and Daniel, WHAT ABOUT UUUUUU WE ARE AUTOMATIC BESTIES NOW

Reply

Writer Maniac
11:13 Jan 10, 2021

My favourite member is definitely Jack! I'm currently obsessed with Slow Down, my sister likes Daniel! We're definitely besties now, I'm so glad I found you! :D

Reply

Coco Longstaff
11:18 Jan 10, 2021

Oooh yes Jack so yo like Hooked right? They are all great, and I sued to like Dani, but then he changed his hair, and i changed too😢 OOO yes slow down is greaaat Me 2222 DDDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Coco(Online twin!!!) Wow Amazing story!!! Loved it so much, it was a very different vibe going on that I adored:) Among us is very popular(Being the imposter is the most fun!) Anyway, I loved it a lot... A LOT!!! Wonderful work Ccoc!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
02:34 Jan 10, 2021

Thanks Varsha (Online twin) Hehe yup Among Us is very fun Awww thanks so much!

Reply

Of course !!! Anytime!

Reply

Hi Coco! How's ur day going?

Reply

Aww, Coco I got downvoted:(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Coco! New story out !

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:32 Jan 20, 2021

Heyhey yes!!! Ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.