27 comments

Christmas Romance Friendship

December 2018

“Marry me, Delilah!” a voice screams over the crowd as I close the front door behind me. I act like I didn’t hear and make a beeline for the kitchen, where I see Patrice serving punch into crystal cups. 

“Hi,” I say, as I take off my winter coat. “You look shot.”

She looks drunk, not shot. Her hair is oddly askew, her eyes more than a little wild, her dark red lips smeared with several added layers of lipstick. 

“You’re late!” she says loudly, handing me a brimming cup of punch. I take a gulp as I slip my purse off my shoulder to Patrice’s kitchen island. The punch is sharp and fizzy, with a stench like vodka. There are raspberries floating at the bottom of my cup and something that looks like a single blond hair at the bottom of the punch bowl. I cough and set the cup down. 

“Sorry,” I say. “Work.”

“On Christmas Eve?” she says, as loudly as before. Even her dress, so tight you can see the ligaments in her back, is slightly off-kilter, like her hair. I check my watch. 

“It’s 8:00, Pat,” I say. “And you’re already drunk?”

“I’ll sleep it off tomorrow,” she says cheerfully, dismissively. 

“Kids won’t be happy on Christmas morning, opening presents alone," I say, but she’s not listening anymore. The kitchen -- no, the whole house -- is so full of people it’s overwhelming. We’re crowded shoulder to shoulder around the island and I’m the only one not talking and laughing as loud and fast as possible. Noises come quick and bright, almost choked, and I actually see a few people have already choked on laughter, or cigarettes, or liquor. They recover rapidly and dive right back into the ever-thickening crowd. The noise, the bright flashing of sequins and teeth, the heavy rumblings of the collective party, are grotesque in comparison to the quiet dignity of the snowy night visible through the windows. I can see lights on outside, strings of flickering bulbs, but everyone has congregated inside, thick and together and loud and everything bleeding red, the color of what’s supposed to be a peaceful, enjoyable holiday. 

I feel a scream rising in my throat. 

A tall, tousle-haired man stumbles forward from the crowd and slurs, “Delilah! Sexy as always tonight.”

“Thanks, Tomas,” I say noncommittally. “But I just got off work. No need to lie.”

He gives me a roguish grin and slings his arm around my shoulders. He leans in, kisses my hair and ear, and whispers, “Won’t you marry me, Delilah?”

“You’re the second person to ask me that tonight,” I say brightly, forcing a laugh and pulling his arm off. “You’re drunk too.”

He shrugs and tries to kiss me again, but I duck away, weaving through the crowd. “Not for me, Tomas,” I call back. “Not tonight.”

He doesn’t hear. He’s back at the punchbowl, filling another glass. 

I run my fingers through my hair nervously and look around. I just want to be alone, some peace and quiet. But Pat said Asa would be here tonight and I’m both apprehensive and thrilled about the prospect of running into him. I find an empty corner behind the staircase and pull my coat back on, thinking about Tomas’s words. It’s the dress. It’s black and almost sheer and a little too short. I borrowed it from Patrice the day before. My hair is pulled up, exposing shoulders, collarbones, neck, and the top half of my back. I thought I liked it. I despise it. 

My coworker and ex-boyfriend Dan finds me and hands me a cup of punch. I smile weakly. 

“Crazy, huh?” he says, gesturing to the crowd. I nod. “You okay?”

“I’m fine.”

He leans in, too close, and I feel uncomfortable when I lean away. As if it’s my fault for the uncomfortable feeling. He turns red, more from irritation than embarrassment. “I was wondering if you’ve given any thought to what we talked about Wednesday.”

“Dan, we broke up on Thursday.”

“I assumed we’d pick up again. You’re going to be stubborn about it? Won’t you marry me?”

I refuse to allow his charm to break me as he looks deep into my eyes. He always says mine are the most enchanting he’s ever seen. I look away. 

“I still love you, Delilah,” he says soulfully. 

“And I you,” I lie, fearing his reaction to any other answer. 

“Then why -- ”

I snap. “No. The answer is no. I’m not marrying you.”

Dan’s face freezes into an all-too-familiar expression and I stiffen up. But he just scowls and walks away. I hope he’s walking out of my life, but I know he isn’t. He’ll pursue me -- who he sees as his prey, his rightful hunt -- until I get a restraining order. And even then… 

I shudder and slip through the crowd. Maybe I’ll find a place where no one can find me, not even Dan, who finds whatever he seeks. I promised Pat to stay until midnight. 

Already I want to curl up and sleep the night away. I’ve just finished a ten-hour shift at the hospital and am wondering why I do this to myself. I yawn and realize, as I twist my way upstairs, that I’m still holding the cup Dan gave me. I set it on a step next to a woman yelling excitedly into her phone and keep climbing. I remember that my purse and therefore my phone is downstairs on Pat’s kitchen island. I keep going -- it’s not worth it. Upstairs is quieter, but all the rooms and bedrooms are locked and the only place is the dark hallway where I can hear what’s happening in the rooms, not to mention downstairs. I sigh, turn around, and head back down. 

The house is broiling, a complete mess of deep red and open, laughing mouths, steeped in noise and billowing with fulness and company and the epitome of material pleasure. And inside it, surrounded and filled by it, I have never felt emptier. It’s inside me, the loneliness and emptiness, seething as I find my purse and worm through the crowd, as someone I vaguely know -- Patrice’s husband, in fact -- tries to hold me and begs for a kiss or my hand in marriage. I force another bright laugh, make a weak joke about old fashioned customs, and get outside as fast as possible. 

The backyard is lit by dim Christmas lights but the moon is what really illuminates the space. The pure light falls softly onto new snow, laid out like smooth skin over the ground. The air is so cold it takes my breath away. But the wind is still, the moon and its glow so inviting, I walk a little farther in, my thin dress shoes crunching through the snow. I button up my coat against the cold and the fading noise of the house. I push it out of my mind, what might be happening in there, and clear the snow off an edge on one of the wooden raised garden-beds. I sit and hold myself, shivering, breathing in frigid air and listening to the tangible, perfect silence. A young, bare pecan tree, tangled with lights, stands between me and the moon. Suddenly in a whimsical mood, I pretend it’s the only thing separating us, not space nor time nor fear of leaving the familiar. It’s so huge, the moon and the utter blackness around it, I want to reach out and touch it more than I’ve ever wanted anything. I raise my hand, but the back door opens crisply and I jerk it down. 

“Sorry,” says a familiar voice. “Didn’t mean to intrude.” Asa sits heavily next to me, his knee almost touching mine, and instead of throwing an arm around my waist he folds his hands and follows my gaze to the enormous, beaming moon. He’s wrapped in a large tan coat that hides his comfortable bulk. He’s both tall and wide. He’s a friend, he’s as familiar as the earth itself. 

I shake my head. “You didn’t,” I say, and it’s not quite a lie. 

“You look beautiful tonight,” he says, looking at my hair, the hem of my dress below the coat, the line of my neck. 

“Doesn’t it?” I say, pretending to misunderstand him. “It’s a full one tonight, too, I think.”

“I spotted that guy in there,” he says, getting right to the point. We’re silent together. The noises and colors of the house bleed over into the backyard, over the snow and through the silence.

“Yeah,” I say, finally filling the not uncomfortable silence. “Dan. He proposed Wednesday and I broke up with him Thursday.”

“I’m sorry,” he returns. I force a smile and draw a deep breath. 

“It’s been a while since I saw you,” I say. 

“Malta wasn’t it?”

“Montgomery,” I correct him. “Alabama.”

We laugh. He offers to wrap his coat around my shoulders when I shiver, but I spread it over our knees instead. 

“I still live here, in town,” he says after a few minutes.

“I have your number,” I say.

“You think the creep, Dan, will try that again?”

“Of course. We work together at the hospital. But what could you do about it?”

He doesn’t have an answer. Instead, he clears his throat and fidgets. “It’s been a year,” he says, voicing what we’ve both been thinking during those silences. It’s true, we both know. We’re less familiar. Less like the earth, more like the moon. We’ve grown apart. “I’m in a different position now, senior vice president in Commercial. Better off, but… nothing’s changed for me. I still want to marry you.”

“We agreed to part ways, Asa,” I say, swallowing hard. “A mutual agreement.”

“But if -- ”

“If means nothing.” I pause to gather my thoughts. “I can’t now and couldn’t then.”

“Your freedom?” he asks, not snidely. 

I shake my head. “Not just that… I don’t know you, any of you, not Tomas, not Dan, not Pat’s husband, not whoever the first one was. Not well enough. You act like it’s a one night fling and even after a divorce -- nothing’s the same. It changes everything.”

“Not everything.”

“Asa.”

He sighs. The moon glimmers through my eyelashes, like magic, like fairy dust. The wind is still. We shiver together. “Delilah. Please. Will you marry me?” He looks at me and my resolve wavers. It would be so easy, and it would be wonderful at first… “If -- ”

“If.” I stand, give his coat back, and smile at him through a single tear, lit by moonlight. There’s no need for him to answer or me to elaborate. I walk away, into the pool of red and golden light, heading for my car, for home. He doesn’t follow. He chooses to sit in the moonlight and the silence as I choose to leave him there. As we part, we both know it’s forever, and that it’s the right choice. 

December 24, 2020 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Maya W.
01:08 Dec 25, 2020

Zillaaaa. Nice work, as always. I enjoyed your writing style and the characters, which all seemed fairly well developed except for the drunk guys at the beginning, but they were drunk, so they didn't really need developing in the moment, I guess? Idk. I'm just pushing myself into a corner here. This was a solid story. Very well written, nice plot points, good ending. Nothing really stood out for me, but not every story needs to be perfect. This one was pretty good, and better than mine, probably, so props to you for that. I can't wait to rea...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Wow Zilla! Yet again, I am very much impressed by your stupendous work. You have written just a beautiful and a marvelous short story! 😊 By all means, I really loved the story you published! I was just in awe by how much work and effort you put into this story! 😯😁 Such a lovely job as always and I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! ⛄🎄❤️❄️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Izzie Chan
15:43 Dec 24, 2020

Hey Zilla! Like always, this story was beautiful, and so inspirational. The characters and the way you write is amazing! I don’t have advice, and it probably wouldn’t help if I gave you any, lol. This was so nice to read, great story, Zilla!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
18:17 Dec 24, 2020

Um Zilla, I had a doubt... Can I submit two different stories on the same prompt?

Reply

Show 0 replies

I read this over & over, and it seemed so short but I loved it. I actually didn't know what to write for this prompt, but this gave hopeful sparks of inspiration! I wonder if I'll finish it before the deadline with the holidays and all. Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ethan Bennett
16:40 Jan 04, 2021

Oh my freaking gosh why is everybody so freaking good at writing stories, I am freaking garbage at writing things. I'm a math person.

Reply

Ethan Bennett
16:41 Jan 04, 2021

Sorry I used freaking so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aimkeys Mwaura
17:54 Jan 08, 2021

Take a freaking heart Ethan. I'm a math person too and I believe one of these freaking days I'm gonna write a freaking good story!

Reply

20:02 May 06, 2021

Lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E.C. Nickelson
19:18 Jul 29, 2021

I went from being a math nerd to an English & History fanatic. You might surprise yourself, but you won’t know until you post something for others to read. I’m constantly reminded that we are our worst enemies & critics, Darling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Elle Clark
06:17 Jan 02, 2021

Zilla, this is lovely! I really like the interpretation of the prompt and the distinct characters who propose. I was a little confused by Asa and would’ve loved a smidge more backstory but I thought that Dan was a great villain. He has only a few sentences but his entire personality was shown clearly. The view of the party is a classic introvert’s view! The descriptions you gave almost made it feel like the party was a separate entity, animalistic and hungry. It was an uncomfortable read, putting me in Delilah’s uncomfortable shoes. Love...

Reply

Show 0 replies
WaterIsDeep :D
08:28 Dec 26, 2020

This was a great read. I like the feel of the party and the atmosphere of the story. Being proposed to 5 times probably means she's a fairly sought after woman. I have learnt a great deal about writing from your work, and it is entertaining as well. The description throughout the whole story, though mainly through the last section, was phenomenal. You make it seen quite lifelike and realistic in my opinion. Congratulations on publishing Broken Sky! An amazing Christmas gift that you've shared with the world.

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
19:29 Dec 26, 2020

She certainly is. Of course, three of them were drunk, and one was a creepy abuser. I think she's a bit of an average woman who knows she's average and is okay with it -- but not okay with all the advances. Thanks for reading and commenting :)

Reply

WaterIsDeep :D
23:29 Dec 26, 2020

Asa is my second favourite character in the story mainly because he isn't drunk or a creepy abuser. Delilah seems like one of those people who have many admirers but choose to only go for one. It has been an honour to read your short story and comment on it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
E.C. Nickelson
19:15 Jul 29, 2021

Beautifully written. I don’t think I’ve read any of your stories before, but I might have to if this one is any indication as to your talent!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orchid Krizan
20:16 Jun 11, 2021

It’s so sad

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:00 May 06, 2021

That was interesting. I have one question though, did her best friend love her?

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:40 Apr 30, 2021

Really good job with this story, there's a lot of detail that is not confusing but for me there's some details that I recommend to take out but that's my opinion. I love the drama between each person and then the switch when she's with the man while talking with a full moon is a really romantic setting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alfred Nyamwange
04:35 Jan 02, 2021

What a lovely story. A never- put- downabble! Descriptive, with an eye and ear to the surroundings! The funniest part is the way everyone including the married are in the mood to propose tonight. It smacks of physical attraction to the narrator, a desire for a night fling than what it takes to sustain a marriage. And she gets out of the rowdy drunk party in which she hadn't really indulged making one wonder why she even attended...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nikki J
02:12 Dec 29, 2020

Well done, Zilla. You've written many precise descriptive passages, and I love that you left it on the answer "if"!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amarillis G
22:06 Dec 28, 2020

Beautiful, romantic and well-written story! Happy New Year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
15:38 Dec 25, 2020

Merry Christmas Z!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
23:28 Dec 25, 2020

Merry Christmas, Sia :)

Reply

Sia S
06:27 Dec 26, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:54 Jan 13, 2022

The story was honestly a great story ! It is very well detailed and i think it all fits in together . There is nothing bad i can say that you need fix !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Sutherland
21:12 Dec 26, 2020

I was hoping for a sweet, romantic ending, but this was better. :) Thank you for liking my recent story! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! -Megan S

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.