Die A Log

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

129 comments

Coming of Age Teens & Young Adult Drama




Put your hand down.







Why?







Because you might get the answer wrong. And that is assuming Miss Garcia picks you out of everyone else that has got their hand up.







But I know what the answer is.







Is that so? What is it, then?







It’s… um… forty nine.







Are you sure?







Uh huh. I finished memorizing my seven times tables last week, and seven times seven makes forty nine.







Really? Are you sure seven times seven doesn’t make fifty six? Or was it forty two?







No, it’s forty nine. I think. Um… I’m not so sure now.







Of course you’re not. You never were sure to begin with. Wouldn’t it be embarrassing if you got the answer wrong?







Yeah, I guess it would.







Precisely. You would be a laughing stock for a long long time—the silly girl that doesn’t know the answer to something as simple as seven times seven. You don’t want that, do you?







No, I don’t.







Go on, then, put your hand down. We’ll let someone smart answer the question.







Okay.







That’s a good girl.

























Why did you make me put my hand down? The answer really was forty nine.







Why risk it? Better safe than sorry.







Now Noah Evans got a cookie when it could’ve been me.







So what? You can get a cookie anytime you like. Is it worth the risk of looking like an idiot in front of everyone?







No.







That’s what I thought. It’s all in the past, anyway. Nothing you can do about it.







Yeah, I… I guess you’re right.







You know I’m right.
























Don’t think I didn’t notice the way you were looking at Lily Cartwright today. You have a crush on her, don’t you?







I do not!







Come now, it’s normal for someone to have these feelings at your age. You’re thirteen now, for goodness sake. We’ve come so far together, and you’re going to stop listening to me now?







No, of course not. You’ve been… helpful, I guess. So, what should I do about… about these feelings?







You’re not thinking of asking Lily Cartwright out, are you?







I mean… I suppose I do want to get to know her better.







And what makes you think SHE wants to get to know YOU better?













Precisely. Do not bother with someone way out of your league. Save yourself the embarrassment and forget about her.







It wouldn’t hurt to at least ask, right?







It would, actually. Rejection is unimaginably painful. Be glad you have me to warn you before it’s too late.







But I like her.







And I LOVE you, dear girl. Why else would I be giving you such thoughtful advice? My job is to protect you from having your feelings hurt, or worse. Think about how self-conscious you’ll feel for months after getting rejected. You will see yourself as ugly, undesirable and foolish, when I know you are none of these things. Oh, and everyone at school will laugh at you for thinking you ever had a chance.







I… I suppose you have a point.







Finally. You can be unreasonable at times, dear girl.

























Stop crying, dear girl. You’re seventeen; much too old to be making a fool out of yourself, and on prom night, no less.







I couldn’t bear it any longer, okay? Watching Lily hold someone else’s hips. It could’ve been me!







She would not have liked you.







Stop acting like you weren’t there when she asked me to prom! She was upset after the break up, remember? I was so excited. It should’ve been the happiest day of my life. But instead of saying “yes” like any other girl lucky enough to get close to Lily would, you made up an excuse for me.







If you had accepted, you would soon realize just how unsuitable you are. How small, weak, and pathetic you are compared to Lily. And once SHE notices this about you, the pain will be unbearable. Beautiful people are like that.







She’s not like that. Not Lily.







Perhaps. But why risk it? There is the pain of a breakup to consider. Not to mention—







SHUT UP. Please, for once, just shut up.







I am only trying to help, dear girl.







No, you’re not. I don’t know what you’re doing, but it’s not helping.







Come now, you don’t mean that. You’re simply exhausted from all that sobbing.







You’re right. I am exhausted. And I’m going home.
























See, what did I tell you? You can’t live without me.







No, I chose this myself because I don’t want to let Mother down.







Did you, really? Are you quite certain that wasn’t me whispering for you to ditch your foolish creative writing endeavors? Are you quite certain that wasn’t me giving you a pat on the back for finally sending the application letter?







I’m good at maths. Chemical engineering is exactly my style.







But do you LIKE it?













Answer me, girl. Was this not all my doing, saving your future from an unsustainable career?













Answer me.







I don’t know. I don’t know anymore.


























Good evening, dear girl. It’s been a while. Must you shut me out so often?







I’m a grownup now, you know. I don’t need you.







Just because there are longer gaps between my… visits, doesn’t mean you don’t need me. You still do, as you always have, and always will. We are one and can only function as one, a perfect symbiosis.







That’s what you want me to think. So that you have a reason for staying.







The facts speak for themselves. Remember that party you went to during freshman year? You wanted to show off that tiny dress of yours oh so badly. After those guys touched you, you were THIS close to reporting them. I saved you the embarrassment. The world must never know how much of a slut you are.













What is this? No objections? I thought you hated me so. Perhaps you have finally realized how much we need one another.







You can’t exist without me. That’s true. But I think it’s time we found out how well I do on my own. Without you.







A ridiculous notion.







College does things to you. It’s a fresh start, a new leaf. I’ve made so many friends, found new hobbies, and they’ve showed me that the world can be bigger than… this.







What on earth are you talking about?







It’s time for you to go. I’m going to close my eyes and count to three. When I’m done, you’ll be gone. Forever.







You think all those therapy sessions can hurt me? It’s a scam, and you know it.







One.







Come now, let’s be sensible. You still need me.







Two.







You need me. Are you even listening? YOU NEED ME YOU NEED ME YOU NEED ME YOU NEED ME YOU NEED—







Three.











































Hello?







Anyone there?













Finally. Oh god, finally.







Finally.







Finally.




January 16, 2021 04:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

129 comments

Scout Tahoe
04:18 Jan 28, 2021

Oh my god, I love this story. It's so relatable, honestly, and I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner. Wow. Wow. ... ... Wow.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
07:41 Jan 28, 2021

No worries, I don’t submit very often so you can pretty much take your time with my stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
23:05 Jan 21, 2021

idk you that well but pls go over to Orenda's acct if you haven't already ik you guys are close...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
09:21 Jan 22, 2021

I left a comment...

Reply

Amaya .
23:04 Jan 22, 2021

:(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
18:35 Jan 18, 2021

Fabulous and haunting. I’m really glad that I had a happy ending, where she managed to kick anxiety’s butt. It was a really cool way of showing how insidious mental health problems can be. Very different to some of your other pieces but still very good!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
17:51 Jan 19, 2021

Thanks! Yep, no idea how I can incorporate my “usual” style in a dialogue only piece, but I’m glad this turned out alright

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
20:51 Jan 17, 2021

Great pun for the title, I was already sold on your story before I started reading lol I liked the premise of it being dialogue only, but you restricting the prompt even further and making it the dialogue of one character, talking to their inner fears/anxiety. I also liked the nod to creative writing lol In terms of feedback, the only point I found a little confusing was "But do you LIKE it?" - I assume it's that the inner voice made her do it as it wasn't something she liked (as proof of this), but I had to re-read this to get that. But o...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
12:07 Jan 18, 2021

This is probably the silliest pun I’ve come up with yet (it doesn’t even make sense) but thanks 😂 Yep, I feel like a lot of people can relate to the creative writing bit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
20:41 Jan 17, 2021

Love it. Relatable at a lot of points. That terrible voice in our heads. We find it so easy as people to insult ourselves yet are repulsed at doing the same out loud, to others. We encourage others and push our own selves down. I'm guilty of being optimistic for others but not looking at the bright side of my OWN situations. I really loved the story, and as always, your punny titles. Definetly makes sense, no worries.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
12:21 Jan 18, 2021

Thanks, glad it could be relatable! This is based on my own journey growing up so I definitely know what you’re talking about. It’s not easy, but not impossible either!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:16 Jan 16, 2021

Great story, Rayhan. You showed the way the voice in her head held her back perfectly through each example. The time span throughout the text fits well and the ending when she counted to three concluded the story superbly. This was really creative. I enjoyed reading it. Nice job!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
13:20 Jan 18, 2021

Thanks Maya! Hey didn’t we get shortlisted in the same contest back then? Anyway, glad you could stop by 😙

Reply

Maya -
15:10 Jan 18, 2021

You're welcome! I think we did. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
05:03 Jan 16, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
05:19 Jan 16, 2021

Ha! Mine calls me “young padawan.” Thanks for the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
19:19 Feb 05, 2021

Hi, Rayhan! :) I'm not sure if we've talked before, but I feel that way because I see your comments everywhere~ I love the story!! It's really similar to my most recent story, but I think you did a much better job executing the italic voice of anxiety than I did the italic voice of OCD :D Great job! I really felt as I was reading this, and I enjoyed that you narrated the events happening in the main character's life in the italic voice!~

Reply

Laiba M
19:19 Feb 05, 2021

I said italic voice a lot here, oops T-T

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rayhan Hidayat
01:58 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks Labia! I’m not sure if we’ve talked either, sometimes it’s hard to keep track of who’s who when everyone keeps changing their name and pfp 😅 Oh that sounds really cool, might check out your story when I’m free!

Reply

Laiba M
03:17 Feb 07, 2021

I don't think we have (I've never changed my name before) but you seemed really familiar for some reason, lol. Thanks! You don't have to if you're too busy though, haha~ Side note, I noticed you mentioned you were Asian in your bio :) Just considering your name, are you by any chance Indian or South Asian, if you don't mind sharing?

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
13:33 Feb 07, 2021

Well I can see we’ve both been around since early/mid 2020 so I suppose that’s why we seem familiar to one another. Crazy how this is our first time talking. If you wanna know where I’m from in particular, some of my stories give it away 😉

Reply

Laiba M
00:20 Feb 08, 2021

Yeah, I guess so! :) Definitely~ Nice way to get me to read your stories, haha~ I'll look through them, then!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
06:01 Feb 10, 2021

Haha well you’re not obligated to you, but I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Ari .
06:51 Jan 27, 2021

This was relatable af.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
03:59 Jan 28, 2021

It was supposed to be!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:47 Jan 27, 2021

DUUUUDE I LOVE THIS!!! I slowly understood what was happening and goshhh this is so intriguing and creative!! The timeline and pacing is great, and I especially enjoyed how the end is kinda uplifting, like a breath of fresh air. Your stories are always a m a i n g!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
04:01 Jan 28, 2021

DUUUUUDE I LOVE THIS COMMENT!! 😂 Thanks as always Aerin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Monnah Dominick
04:21 Jan 20, 2021

An interesting take on this prompt and a very cool story! It hit close to home for me and the ending was powerful.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
06:50 Jan 20, 2021

Thanks! Glad it had that appeal! 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Adeshi Onani
03:27 Jan 17, 2021

I love it. Absolutely!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
12:53 Jan 18, 2021

Thanks for the thorough review Adeshi! 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
19:35 Jan 16, 2021

This is amazing....I was working on an internal dialogue too, but it wasn't anything close to this gem. I'm glad now that I never got around to finishing and posting it. This was so clever....and so sad in many ways, but triumphant too. I really believe this must be going on in the heads of some little-girls-to-women. Fantastic work - especially rushed!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
13:18 Jan 18, 2021

Oh thanks a million! Noooo you can always refine it and submit it later on. I’m always down to read a story of yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
07:49 May 23, 2021

Wow. The paragraphs made this so powerful, and it was really well written. Internal conflicts really are fun to write. Love it!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
20:26 May 25, 2021

Thanks again Ana!

Reply

Claudia Morgan
05:19 May 26, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shallan Davar
16:40 May 21, 2021

Fabulous!!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
16:45 May 21, 2021

Oh hey I wrote this ages ago, but thanks!!

Reply

Shallan Davar
16:46 May 21, 2021

Yeah sorry, I was just looking through your stories and thought I'd comment, idk😂

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
16:50 May 21, 2021

No there’s nothing to be sorry about (I’m actually quite proud of this story, so good choice 😉), i’m just surprised you didn’t choose my most recent one like most people do lol 😂

Reply

Shallan Davar
16:52 May 21, 2021

I haven't looked at that yet, I should do that!! XD

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
16:54 May 21, 2021

Ack you’re not obligated to! Btw, was your username at one point Megan Sutherland, or am I just dreaming it? 🤔

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
06:52 Feb 05, 2021

Can you give me feedback on my new story?

Reply

Show 0 replies

New story Ray <33 (can i call ya that?)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
06:23 Feb 05, 2021

I’ll check it out when I can! (Sure, that works 😉)

Reply

Alright! (Really? :DDDD)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:29 Jan 27, 2021

Wait are you a boy or girl...?

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
03:47 Jan 28, 2021

100% a guy last time I checked!

Reply

16:23 Jan 28, 2021

WAIIT WOT CHECKED XDDDDDDDDDD okie XDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zahra Daya
03:04 Jan 27, 2021

Wow. Honestly, this story left me in shock. I enjoyed it a lot and the italicized voice gave me shivers towards the end - good riddance!! Good job! Also, I'd love it if you could check out some of my stories if you get a moment. Thanks and hope we can be friends! - Zahra

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
04:00 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks for giving it a read Zahra! Of course, always nice to make another Reedsy friend 😙

Reply

Zahra Daya
17:50 Jan 29, 2021

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

NEW STORY FROM YOURS tRULY XD

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
04:01 Jan 28, 2021

I left a comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.