165 comments

Romance High School Friendship

“Jack!” I whisper-shout at him. He pulls me into a random room and we plop down on the chairs inside. We take one look at each other and begin giggling. I cover my face with my hands in an attempt to silence them, but it does nothing to help.

“We-ohhh my god.” I let out one last laugh before looking at Jack, who’s smiling, face flushed from our running before.

“What now? Where are we anyhow?” There’s a small pamphlet on the table, and we reach out to grab it at the same time. Of course, him being him with his impossibly long arms, he gets it first. I cross my arms and lean back in my chair.

“Come on talk what does it say?” 

He snickers.“Oh, this is going to be fun.”

What’s going to be fun, gimme that!” I snatch the pamphlet from his hands and quickly scan it, flipping the pages. I bite my lip to try and not laugh again but I do, and it comes out as a snort. 

“Oh ho hooo, $1,000 cash prize? Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“If you’re thinking that we should pretend to be a couple in this reality show to win that dough?” I nod eagerly. “Then maybe, I haven’t collected my thoughts yet.” I laugh before abruptly standing up. 

“Come on, our friendship has faced way more challenges before, right? We’ll be fine.” He stands up and picks up my arm over our heads. 

“I hereby declare us boyfriend and girlfriend for the remainder of today!” I grin as he drops my arm. 

“Well, what now?” 

He opens the door a crack and looks left and right before turning back around.

“We find a dressing room? And then we can see where to go from there, okay?” he whispers giddily. I smile and nod. He brings a finger to his lips and opens the door a little more, tiptoeing out. I bite my lip to suppress more laughter at how dramatic he’s being. I mean, really, what’s the worst that could happen if we’re caught? 

He holds my hand and pulls me to the end of the hall, where he looks left and right and chooses right at random. We keep going until I pull my arm away, reading the paper pasted on one of the doors. 

“C’mere, it says ‘Dressing Room A’, should we go in?”

“Shhh! Keep your voice down. Okay, we’ll try this door.” I roll my eyes at his whisper and try the knob. Shoot. It’s locked. Jack comes by me and looks right and left before pulling a bobby pin out of my hair. I hit his wrist and glare at him. 

“What was-mmph mmph!” He puts his hand over my mouth. I bite it. “What was that for!” I harshly whisper once he pulls his hand instinctively off of my mouth. He puts the bobby pin into the lock and jiggles it around a little bit before I hear a faint click and he takes it out, turning the knob. He hands me the bobby pin with a satisfied smirk on his face. I scoff as we quickly open the door and walk-in. 

“Who knew you were such a professional criminal?” He closes the door behind us. He scans the room and lets out a breath once he sees it’s empty. 

“I have experience reading sister’s diaries,” he winks at me. 

“No. You’re joking, you read Lily’s diary?! She’ll murder you if she finds out.”

He narrows his eyes at me. “Which is why she won’t, correct?” 

I laugh. “Looks like I have blackmail material now!” I say in a sing-song voice. 

“Oh whatever. It was a while ago anyway, most of them were entries of her ‘first crush’ and whatnot.” He waves his hand as if to push the topic away. 

“Whatnot?”

“Yeah, what’s wrong with whatnot?” 

“Nothing you sounded British for a second”

“Ha-ha very funny, anyway we never really planned what to do after we made it here.” I scan the dressing room again, racking my brain for an actual plan.

So we’re on the set of some romantic reality TV show in which I believe couples talk about their experiences and their story and that great ol’ cheesy stuff and the couple that the crowd ships most by the end win. Judging by my skim read-only, of course.

“Considering this dressing room is empty, where do you think the actual contestants are?” I ask Jack, who was staring at me. “What is it, do I have something on my face or something? Jack?”

“Oh, nothing, you just looked super concentrated in thought it was funny. Anyway, they either ran away, are in the bathroom, or didn’t show up. You think someone will show up to direct us over to the stage or something?’

“I dunno, never really been on TV before,” I say, shrugging off the first part of his sentence. 

“I say we wait about five minutes and if no one comes we figure stuff out for ourselves, alright?”

“Sounds good.” A minute of awkward silence passes between us. At least I assume it’s a minute; considering it feels like an hour, I can’t really tell. 

“So like-” we speak at the same time and abruptly stop. “Anyway-” We burst out laughing at the second coincidence. I tuck my hair behind my ear and tilt my head to the side. I want to talk again, but I don’t want to burst the magic bubble in the air. Jack laughs and runs a hand through his hair, messing it up. Ohhh, I want so bad to fix it, but he hates when I touch his hair.

Ruining the ‘moment’ there’s a loud knock on the door. I hear an enthusiastic game show host speaking on the other side of the door. 

“Let’s hope we aren’t interrupting anything folks! Anyone in there?” My eyes widen and Jack stands up. I stand too. We take a deep breath and walk over to the door. Jack opens the door to a big ol’ camera in our faces. He steps backwards into me, surprised. I grip his shoulders and push him back, my face warm. 

“Hello! What a darling couple, and young too! What are your names?”

“I uh-um-” I was never the camera person, and of course flustered me stutters.

Jack steps in. “I’m Jack, and this here is Alice.” He moves to hold my hand, and I almost pull away, before realizing what he’s doing. And I have to play along. It’s not like it’s too hard honestly, his hand is as comfortable to me as anything, I’ve held it since 6th grade. I take a step closer to him so our sides are touching. 

“Jack and Alice ladies and gentlemen!” the host says, looking into the camera. “Well, follow me to the stage! Your fellow contestants are waiting for you!” We walk out and the cold blast of the air conditioner hits me by surprise. It was not this cold when we were first walking through these very same hallways. Then again, we were high on adrenaline. I let go of Jack’s hand and cross my arms in an attempt to warm myself. Jack looks at me. He’s used to this, I get cold very easily. Smiling, he rolls his eyes and takes off his jacket, promptly draping it over my shoulders. I feel my cheeks turn rosy at the gesture. 

“Thanks…” I mumble quietly. A resounding awww that sounds fake is heard. I look up and see we’re at the doorway of the stage, which is in front of a rather large audience. Perfect. Juuuust perfect.

“Wow! You guys aren’t even through with the first half of the competition, and you’re already blowing it up! Looks like the chemistry is natural between you two young lovebirds, huh?” 

Jack grins and brings his arm around my shoulder, brushing lightly across my neck. No not that spot-he knows I can’t resist to-Ugh, I swear I’m like a cat sometimes. I instinctively lean in at his touch. My cheeks warm even more and I’m pretty sure my face is tomato red right now. Heck, I don’t really need this jacket anymore. Once the reporter looks away and back at the audience, Jack shoulders me and I look up. 

“Deep breaths…” he whispers, sending a reassuring smile my way. I smile back, feeling slightly lighter. 

“Why don’t you two have a seat on that red sofa over there!” I turn to find the said sofa on the stage, but all I see is about 3 different chairs, two of them occupied, one of them red. Yeah, no way two human beings that are not already reduced to skeletons are going to fit on that. At all.

Jack takes his arm from my shoulder, allowing me for some reason to release a breath, and nudges me forward. 

“It’s fine, I’ll stand.”

“No, it’s fine, you sit, I’ll stand.” We stop by the chair. 

“Oh for goodness sake, we’ll both stand!” he throws his hands up in the air. 

“What a couple folks! What. A. Couple. Moving on to the first question of today, couple Dan and Sydney, how did you guys meet?” My cheeks warm again momentarily. You’d think we were scripted, seriously, we’re acting like such a couple. But does Jack mean it? I mean it’s not like it’s any different from the teasing we normally do in our everyday life. So why does it feel different? Is it because we’re being called a couple?

Or is it because….

I meet Jake’s eyes and he smiles, sending my heartbeat way out of control.

No...it couldn’t be…

Right?




November 14, 2020 04:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

165 comments

I literally just like- had a moment lol. I finally posted a new story after what feels like a decade.

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:40 Nov 18, 2020

I shall check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:39 Nov 18, 2020

Okay, I had an idea for the people as colors! Silver: Smart, talented but doesn't realize it, Disney+, lotta pets, thick glasses, binge-watching movies, tight leggings, diamond studs, funny graphic tees, a few close friends, introvert, shy and sweet, animal-lover, lets the spider out when it enters the home, refuses to miss any important events, straight As You don't have to use it, but if you like it then you totally can!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:13 Nov 18, 2020

Kylie, I don't like it.... I LOVE IT IT'S AMAZING WOWOWOW

Reply

16:05 Nov 18, 2020

Yay, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

OMG I can't wait to know what happens next... Really good work!

Reply

Amany Sayed
03:09 Nov 17, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:18 Nov 17, 2020

{ Big news:: Part Two to my most recent may be here sooner than anticipated! Stay tuned ;) (if i do said part 2, would you like a backstory or a continuation?) YEESSSS!!!!! PLEASE!! ... Also thank youuu so much for today, I got SO many notifications, and when I mean SO many I mean SO many notifications. SO yes I did not pay attention in class. Anyways the whole point of me giving you points was to do something amazing for you but you ended up doing something AMAzing for me too! SO thank youuu! Appreciate ya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Leya Newi
06:35 Nov 16, 2020

Please write a part two. I love how you built up on their relationship, and how these two interact. I loved this, please write a part two.

Reply

Amany Sayed
22:26 Nov 16, 2020

I'll do my best! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
03:57 Nov 16, 2020

“Come on, our friendship has faced way more challenges before, right?” Oh c’mon Amany, no one says this in real life. It’s like something out of an anime. But maybe that’s what you were going for 😉 Anyway, this was soooo adorbs. I really wonder if Jake just wants the money, or if he’s just using it as an excuse to hold hands with her haha. I’m gonna be so sad if this is one sided. Please tell me they get together eventually!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
04:04 Nov 16, 2020

AHAHAHAH OMG Firstly, I just wanted to thank you, you're always amongst the first to read my stories. And, like always, you've made me smile. Of course, my aim in romance stories is to be as cringey as possible, but NOT anime PLEASE I should edit that RIGHT NOW. Thank you, thank you. Mwahahaha you'll never knowwww! Until Part Two of course :) Thanks again! Have a fantabulous day!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
06:44 Nov 16, 2020

No worries! I hardly write romance so I really should be checking out other genres for inspiration, but I can’t help it. It’s a guilty pleasure at this point lol. Oh awesome, I’ll keep an eye out! You too! 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
21:45 Nov 15, 2020

This was written with sooo much talent! The cliff hanger was unexpected it reminds me of you're story 'Blue berries' in the way it's written! I love the characters they are so well developed and I can't wait for part 2! -Chrissy

Reply

Amany Sayed
06:30 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks so much, this truly means alot!

Reply

. .
07:08 Nov 16, 2020

Np

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aubrey Maria ✌
15:54 Jan 16, 2021

Woah, I was blown away by this story. I would love a part 2!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:13 Jan 16, 2021

Thanks so much! I'm planning one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avani G
18:44 Dec 04, 2020

Warning: Harsh critique ahead Okay! Nice romance, Amany. I like the characters. I don't know if it's just me, but every time you write a romance, the boy's name always starts with "j". At least, the two of your romance's I've read so far has that ;) A few things to keep in mind: 1. Slow. Down. The narrating in here is rushed and fast, so slow down. 2. There wasn't much character development. The beginning felt rushed, and I felt like the story ended almost as quick as it had started. 3. Be careful of those typos. There are a f...

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:54 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you! haha, that's about only the two then. I've got J, L, E, D, C... 1. Noted! 2. Totally get what you mean 3. Thanks for pointing that out, though I don't think I can edit anymore. 4.Ah, okay! Thank you!

Reply

Avani G
18:56 Dec 04, 2020

No problem! 1. :) 2. Yup. 3. I know, but I wanted to give you some sort of reference so you could see what I was talking about ;) 4. Yay! Glad I could help!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Brennan Bilberry
23:46 Nov 29, 2020

Okay So...This story is awesome. I love you're easy to route for characters, and Alice's reaction when she realizes she might be catching feelings.

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:09 Nov 30, 2020

Thanks so much, so glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:45 Nov 27, 2020

I think we need sequel, the story was adorable and cute. I loved the narration and script writing. The story was unique and it flowed properly. I would love if you read my story on same prompt and would love feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies

LOVE DA BIOOOO! And I’d say you’re...actually, you’re a huffleclaw (lol). Too hard to judge. Um, 56% Hufflepuff, 44% Ravenclaw. Maybe? I’m bad at this stuffff

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:42 Nov 25, 2020

Thank youuuu I think it's my favorite so far. Hm, interesting, someone else said I give off Gryffindor vibes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rhyan Dick
06:34 Nov 20, 2020

Omg the cliff hanger... I NEED to keep reading. Also, I love the name Alice!

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:11 Nov 20, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
17:29 Nov 19, 2020

for your hogwarts house i feel like u would be a Gryffindor. idk why but those are the vibes i get from you lol. does anyone seeing this agree or nah

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:33 Nov 19, 2020

Interesting Interesting, thank you for your input :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
F. A.
08:30 Nov 19, 2020

Awesomely written! I could see more of this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
19:21 Nov 18, 2020

heyyy you can use any of these for ur bio bc i saw that u have other people's things in ur bio muted red- big fuzzy sweaters, sweatpants. oversize everythings. big thermoses of hot cocoa, skiing, bad jokes. dog-lover, cozy. warm heart, big hugs. soft-hearted, hates mean people. very mixed music taste, an amazing listener. loves you. always has a book, loves netflix. makes your heart melt. peach- rosy cheeks, warm eyes, beach trips. wind blowing your hair and flowy dresses. kind, sweet. angelic, ethereal. lip gloss, gold jewelery. sund...

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:19 Nov 19, 2020

Alrighty, thanks Amaya! :)

Reply

Amaya .
17:27 Nov 19, 2020

np :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:57 Nov 18, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:14 Nov 18, 2020

Thanks so much! I have not read her, so I don't really know whether to take this as an insult or a compliment, considering you said you don't like her books...Oh well. Thanks for the suggestion! Thank you so much!

Reply

Unknown User
07:33 Nov 19, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
16:30 Nov 18, 2020

heyy Amany, waddap!

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:35 Nov 18, 2020

Gonna attempt a Ru thing: homework, overwork, and teachers who are jerks

Reply

Orenda .
16:42 Nov 18, 2020

also you forgot one thing: dEAdlInES

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
18:22 Nov 17, 2020

I AM LITERALLY GREY. LIKE IT'S AS IF YOU SAT DOWN AND SAID "hmmmmmm let's describe amaya" which i know you didn't but seriously its perfect, although i also have a teensy bit of yellow in me

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:29 Nov 17, 2020

That's greeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat yayyyyyy :)

Reply

Amaya .
18:30 Nov 17, 2020

:)

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:31 Nov 17, 2020

I'm not really one in particular, but most of yellow describes me pretty accurately. Purple is based on my best friend.

Reply

Amaya .
18:32 Nov 17, 2020

aw really? Like ur irl friend or reedsy friend? im guessing irl yeah i feel like yellow is right for you. You did say it means "not always happy though" you good lol? like if you want to talk I'm here even though i might be taking that line too seriously. i do that a lot.

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:39 Nov 17, 2020

yep irl (but she is on reedsy) Yes yes, that's the only one that doesn't apply to me lol. But I mean no one is ALWAYS happy. But I'm great lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
17:57 Nov 17, 2020

Love this story. completely amazing I really want their to be a part 2!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:07 Nov 17, 2020

Thanks so much! Stay tuned then, planning one for this week!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.