Antebellum Auction (Inspired by Margaret Mitchell)

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

336 comments

Coming of Age Western

"Hey Y'all, how we doing? My name is Jake Calapoo and I will be your auctioneer today. This is a themed auction and we will be bidding on Southern items and no share-bidding is allowed. There are fifteen items for sale and you will be speaking your bets, not raising paddles. Righty then. Let's get to it! I would first like to introduce you to..."


"What on Earth is he talking about?"


"Oh, um, sorry, but I don't think we've met. Who are you?"


"I'm Cara Lythorne, obviously! If you've never met me, then you've been living under a god-awful rock. Have you never heard of me? Oh, child, I come to about fifty of these a year. There's no one that outbids me, ever. What's your name, darling?"


"Minny Culpote."


"Oh, if that isn't the sweetest name I ever heard! Oh, look at your blouse, you must need a wash. Here, I'll help you out. You don't look like you've been to a ton of these."


"Thanks a lot, Missus, I'd love some help."


"You're kindly welcome. Now, you see that man over there, the one with his meathook in his shirt? That's Johnny Dale. You see, he's a real bonehead. I've heard from my girls that he's been on the make for a full score now."


"Really? That's a mighty long time. What's he doing here?"


"Well, Minny, he's in a bash and he's dolling up so he can buy anything he wants. Typical with these hillbilly boys."


"Who's that?"


"That woman over there is Martha Vince. You see her feather hat? That's fake. See that otter shawl? Fake. See that fur coat? Fake. That's just what she is. Fake."


"Why are you panning her so hard? Do you hate her?"


"No, I don't like her attitude. She acts like she's letting us buy the stuff she doesn't bid on."


"Oh... that's awful. Does she not like you?"


"She thinks we're all beneath her, Missus Riches and Gold. Its pure luck that her hubby struck it rich in the Yukon."


"That wasn't any more than five years ago! He can't have gotten that rich."


"Child, you must really be naive. I don't wanna be the one to tell you this, but, well, some people... they stole other people's earnings. Then they did them in. I know, I know, don't act so shocked. I know it for a fact, Mary Margaret told me her father saw it happen."


"That's horrible! Don't those people have a lick of self-respect?"


"No, child, they don't. No one up there does. Now hush, Jakey's speaking."


"Our first item of the night is an ornate vase that Robert E. Lee owned. We'll start the bidding at 10,000 dollars, do I see 10,000? Anyone?"


"10,000."


"10,000 from Missus Martha Vince. Do I see 11,000? Anyone for 11,000?"


"Watch me, Minny, I'm about to snatch it from under her nose. 11,000 please, Jakey!"


"11,000 from Madame Lythorne! Do I see 12,000? Anyone for 12,000?"


"I'll take a piece of that action."


"12,000 for Mr. Dale."


"13,000!"


"Holy! 13,000 for Missus Vince! Do I hear 14,000?"


"These people are mad! Is this how every one of these goes?"


"Hush, Minny, I'm bidding. 14,000 please, Jakey!"


"Hoo, that'll screw with you finances! 14,000 for Madame Lythorne, do I see 15,000?"


"15,000!"


"15,000 for... wait, who said that?"


"I did!"


"Minny, surely you're not thinking of going against me!"


"Sorry Ms. Lythorne, but its my first time. Could you let me have this one?"


"Aw, fine. What the heck, I do like charity work."


"15,000 for M-Minay Cupoltah."


"That's Minny Culpote, sir."


"Thank you kindly, young Miss. 15,000 going once, going twice, so-"


"16,000."


"Oh, last second! 16,000 for Missus Vince! 16,000 going once, going twice..."


"16,500."


"Oh, you're in it for sure, sweetie. This is going to be a little on the hard-baked side but I believe in you. Come on, kick her where it hurts!"


"Hush, I'm paying attention. You're right, this is fun!"


"16,500 for the young Miss. Do I hear 17,000?"


"17,000"


"17,000 for Missus Vince-"


"Oh, child, she's staring at you. Oh, I just want you to cream her. Come on now! Stare her down."


"I'll take 18,000."


"Oh! Mr. Dale's back in it with 18,000. 18,000 going once, going twice... sold!"


"What just happened, Cara? Did he steal it?"


"Jeez, honey, I thought you were on a roll there. Yeah, he swooped it. That's why you should've let me do it. Still, you tried."


"Thanks for giving me some help, but I think I'm good now."


"Excuse me? If you wanna be a little doll and abandon the master then that's fine with me, just don't come slouching back."


"Allrighty. Next item up for auction: A Gullah chair with ornate carvings. We'll start the bidding at 8,000."


"What's your name?"


"Oh, uh, hello Mr. Dale. Congratulations on your vase. I'm Minny."


"Oh, you're the little dove that was betting!"


"Yeah. I would so like to get back to that now, if you don't mind."


"Oh sure, go ahead."


"8,000!"


"8,000 for the young Miss, do I hear 9,000?"


"I'd like to learn a little more about you, if you don't mind."


"I'm sorry, Mr. Dale, but I don't date insipid bachelors."


"What do you mean, inspid?"


"You're clearly drunk so please stop bothering me."


"I'm not drunk! Who put you in such a tizzy?"


"Just leave me alone."


"8,000 going once, going twice-"


"I'll take 9,000!"


"9,000 for Mr. Dale."


"What do you think you're doing?"


"Bidding. That's what this is all about, isn't it?"


"Get your filthy hands off my bid."


"Not unless you tell me your address."


"Of course not! I'm appalled you'd even ask! 10,000!"


"11,000 for me, Jake."


"11,000 for Mr. Dale. Do I see 12,000?"


"Fine, just get your bid out of there. 127 Sycamore Road."


"I'll take my bid out of the ring, Jakey."


"Okay, the 10,000 for the young Miss stands. Going once, going twice, sold!"


"You'll see me around, Minnie."



January 08, 2021 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

336 comments

I loved this story Luke. Great job! :)

Reply

. .
22:28 Jan 08, 2021

Thanks!! It was a hard prompt

Reply

Yup, it was. But you wrote such an awesome story!

Reply

. .
22:51 Jan 09, 2021

Can you upvote B.W.?? She's at 10 now...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joselin Nieves
18:04 Mar 03, 2021

Hi Luke

Reply

. .
18:05 Mar 03, 2021

Hi?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
21:42 Jan 08, 2021

creepy dude... stranger danger! I love the accents and every person's slang use! great job! *ukon* *ms howey* *the call of the wild* *h.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.m.*

Reply

. .
22:03 Jan 08, 2021

XD YEP THE YUKON WAS IN ITTTTTT THANKS HIGH PRAISE FROM MARGARET MITCHELLS BIGGESTFAN

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:05 Jan 08, 2021

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THATS MEEEEE

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
22:05 Jan 08, 2021

btw, you legit need only 2000 more points to be on the leaderboard!!!! omg owow

Reply

. .
22:28 Jan 08, 2021

I KNOWWWWWWW IM SO HAPPYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
22:51 Jan 09, 2021

Upvote B.W. she's at 10th nowwwww

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
20:24 Jan 08, 2021

The Red Letter? For your emoji puzzle

Reply

. .
20:27 Jan 08, 2021

Wrong color but it is a form of red ugh so closseeeee

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
20:31 Jan 08, 2021

THE SCARLET LETTER?

Reply

Darn Saph I was gonna say that lol

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
20:37 Jan 08, 2021

Ahahaha sorryyyyy XDD

Reply

. .
22:52 Jan 09, 2021

B.W. NEEDS UPVOTING

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
20:36 Jan 08, 2021

SORRY TO BE ANNOYING I'M SURE YOU'RE GOING CRAZY WITH THE OTHER REPLIES BUT LUKEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
20:46 Jan 08, 2021

Omg the fact that so many people love your emoji puzzles and are dying to be on your leaderboard is crazy hahahhaaa LUKEEEE NOTICE MEEEEEE

Reply

. .
21:41 Jan 08, 2021

I knowwwwww yes it was the scarlet letterrrrr I’ll change it tomorrow tho bc I’m tired

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
23:18 Jan 08, 2021

Ooh this was an interesting funny story. Is there gonna be a part 2 for this?

Reply

. .
23:29 Jan 08, 2021

Nah, I’m making just tons of stories using the best parts of the styles of famous authors as I explain in my bio. Thanks!!!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
23:38 Jan 08, 2021

Ahh ok. Got it. And sure, no problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
21:23 Jan 09, 2021

Yo Luke were you skiing two weeks ago at blue mountain?

Reply

. .
21:24 Jan 09, 2021

Yea!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
21:28 Jan 09, 2021

I’m on the ski racing team there!!! When are you going again? I’m there every weekend for ski training... ha

Reply

. .
21:29 Jan 09, 2021

Omg you are that's hilarious!! My brother and dad went today!! I'll tell you when I go again.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
21:30 Jan 09, 2021

Really!!?!?? Wowowow woah

Reply

. .
21:31 Jan 09, 2021

XD I knowwwww

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
20:55 Jan 09, 2021

HEY!! Great story again, I loved the emotion you conveyed even though its a HARD prompt - also also also, just submitted Part 3 under this same prompt :D but, still with this story the italics and the bidding was a great touch, and I really enjoyed this story :D

Reply

. .
20:56 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks so much, Nika!! I'LL CHECK IT OUT!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
20:58 Jan 09, 2021

:D I thought this prompt was SOOO hard bc you had to convey LITERALLY AN ENTIRE STORY WITH JUST DIALOGUE ughh definitely one of the hardest prompts but but I made it work, and SO DID YOU :D

Reply

. .
20:59 Jan 09, 2021

OMG THANKSSSS AND YES IT WAS THE HARDEST I'VE EVER DONEEEEEEEEE BUT IT WAS AMAXING

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
22:53 Jan 09, 2021

B.W. NEEDS UPVOTING

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:02 Jan 09, 2021

K

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
23:49 Jan 08, 2021

PART 11 OF TDR HAS BEEN POSTED!!!

Reply

. .
23:52 Jan 08, 2021

yay I’ll check it out tomorrow!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:53 Jan 08, 2021

........TOMORROW???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:53 Jan 08, 2021

........TOMORROW???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:47 Jan 08, 2021

Luke. T'will be very cold outside tomorrow, and we don't have a fire pit like you guys... aaaaaand I also have an eye appointment in the morning so that means I won't be able to do anything close-up because the doctor lady said that we should just chillax and watch movies after... BUT STILL ATTEMPTING AND FAILING TO CLIMB TREES DOESN'T REQUIRE EYE STRAIN OR WHATEVER

Reply

. .
23:00 Jan 08, 2021

No I was wondering if we could do it sunday

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:02 Jan 08, 2021

I will ask. One moment, please

Reply

. .
23:02 Jan 08, 2021

Yayyyyyyy I don’t care if it’s coldddddd

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:05 Jan 08, 2021

Me, neither! As long as I have my hat with the fuzzy pom-pom, I'm fine XDDD Yeah, I think Sunday would work better. It's supposed to get up to 43 degrees on Sunday, and be the warmest around 1-4.

Reply

. .
23:07 Jan 08, 2021

Ha lol!!! That’s great!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
21:47 Jan 08, 2021

LUKE I FOUND ERIENE. Lexi Jayde.

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:48 Jan 08, 2021

She just looks like her...

Reply

. .
22:04 Jan 08, 2021

I’ll check it out sooooooooon

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:12 Jan 08, 2021

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Btw, if your mom messages my mom first, she's more likely to plan than procrastinate... she's like that, lol. BUT ANYWAY I THINK SHE'LL SAY YEAS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
22:12 Jan 08, 2021

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Btw, if your mom messages my mom first, she's more likely to plan than procrastinate... she's like that, lol. BUT ANYWAY I THINK SHE'LL SAY YEAS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:11 Jan 08, 2021

BUT LUKE THERE'S ALSO ANOTHER PROBLEM. Remember that real long thread where we chatted about Lady Castor and the queen? I can't find it....... XD

Reply

. .
20:24 Jan 08, 2021

Yea!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:10 Jan 08, 2021

............how do you write in the style of like 50 different authors in a week? I son't understand.

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:10 Jan 08, 2021

*don't.

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:11 Jan 08, 2021

See, I'm in too much shock that I can't even type XD

Reply

. .
20:23 Jan 08, 2021

XDDDDD MY MOM SAID ITS OK

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:25 Jan 08, 2021

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL ASK MY MOM AGAINNNN

Reply

. .
20:27 Jan 08, 2021

Yeeeeeeeeees did you like the storyyyyy

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Up Voter
20:07 Jan 10, 2021

I saw in your bio that you're a marshmallow founder! Thank you so much for helping the Reedsy community. Please tell the other marshmallows to let me know if anyone needs any upvoting by commenting on my story! Love, Upvoter

Reply

. .
20:12 Jan 10, 2021

Yes I am!! Mira Caplan, Celeste Shinobu, and Nainika Gupta are also founders. Awwww that's so sweet!! Of course I will!!

Reply

Up Voter
20:15 Jan 10, 2021

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
20:12 Jan 10, 2021

Yes I am!! Mira Caplan, Celeste Shinobu, and Nainika Gupta are also founders. Awwww that's so sweet!! Of course I will!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Radhika Diksha
17:56 Jan 10, 2021

Abby has been downvoted. She has only 39 points. Let's upvote her.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sapphire 🌼
23:16 Jan 09, 2021

MISSION HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED, AMETHYST IS FEELING BETTER :DDDDD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
23:17 Jan 09, 2021

THE MARSHMALLOWS ARE LITERALLY SO COOL XDDDDDD

Reply

. .
23:18 Jan 09, 2021

YASSSSS WE AREEEE SO COOL

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
23:22 Jan 09, 2021

:DDDDDDDDD IMMA GO WORK ON A STORY NOWWWW CYAAAA

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
15:23 Jan 09, 2021

Creepy yet flirtatious man. I love the plot and the biding. The conversation between Minnie and the other lady was hilarious and real. I have seen some minor mistakes that I would like to point out. "I did!" here you should have put it at the end. he's in a bash here you should have removed the "a" That's all. Keep writing.

Reply

. .
15:24 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks so much!! I'll watch out for those later!!! XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
22:53 Jan 09, 2021

B.W. NEEDS UPVOTING

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:57 Jan 10, 2021

ok, right away I am going.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:12 Jan 10, 2021

why do you think the downvoting is happening? Like who are these people?

Reply

. .
14:27 Jan 10, 2021

I don't know, but I don't think it matters. We just need to cultivate happiness.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:34 Jan 10, 2021

Yeah. I don't know who the upvoter is. But if you did upvote me. I would like to thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:34 Jan 10, 2021

Yeah. I don't know who the upvoter is. But if you did upvote me. I would like to thank you.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Kate Reynolds
14:12 Jan 09, 2021

WOW. THIS WAS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I over the auction feel to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a creative way to write about the prompt! :DD

Reply

. .
14:32 Jan 09, 2021

Awww thanks!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:49 Jan 09, 2021

Nppp!!!

Reply

. .
22:53 Jan 09, 2021

B.W. NEEDS UPVOTING

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:13 Jan 10, 2021

OMG I AM COMING

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:31 Jan 10, 2021

Yessss, 12,000!!! Upvoters WILL get you up the leaderboard cuz you deserve itttttttttttttt

Reply

. .
00:17 Jan 11, 2021

Omg thankssssss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
16:37 Jan 10, 2021

ALSO IM COMMENTING AGAIN TO BE ANNOYING HEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEH BUT AMONG US AT NOON EASTERN TIME THE CODE WILL BE IN ME BIO

Reply

. .
17:17 Jan 10, 2021

YAYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
16:36 Jan 10, 2021

HOW DO I BECOME A MARSHMALLOW

Reply

. .
17:17 Jan 10, 2021

YOU PUT IMMA MARSHMALLOW IN YOUR BIO AND YOU TELL THE OTHERSSSS

Reply

Megan Sutherland
17:23 Jan 10, 2021

STILL DECIDING BUT I MIGHT DO YOU WANT ME TO START A NEW AMONG US GAME

Reply

. .
17:30 Jan 10, 2021

I can only do it from 1- 3:30

Reply

Megan Sutherland
17:32 Jan 10, 2021

1 works for meeeee

Reply

. .
17:32 Jan 10, 2021

K!!!

Reply

Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:30 Jan 10, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

. .
17:16 Jan 10, 2021

Thanks so much!!!!! Of course I read all of the babble it's amazing babble!! Oh yay I'll be sure to check it out!! Thanks so much again for the critiques

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.