24 comments

Fiction Funny


I’m still a bit hung over and cotton-mouthed when the Uber driver stops a block or so from the auditorium and convinces me to leave the airconditioned comfort of his car. Traffic is at a standstill while hundreds of cars are creeping up the hill to snatch whatever parking spot they can find or create.


With a dramatic sigh, agreeing that walking up that hill will be quicker, though less comfortable, I fall in with smiling twenty somethings. No doubt they are slowly broiling in their long black polyester gowns while holding a precariously balanced mortar boards on their heads with one hand. Many travel in packs, with proud parents, relatives, and sundry admirers.


I allow myself to be squeezed through the open doors and washed along on the tide until I stand at the foot of the stage. Here I capture the attention of a haggard-looking woman, holding a clipboard. When I introduce myself, she lets out a sigh of relief and ushers me to my seat on the stage.


While the excitement and sound grows around me, I am amazed at how I came to sit here. There are many rewards to being a famous author. For instance, your name will get you the best table in certain restaurants, the one near the window, where anyone walking by may recognize you. Or so I’ve been told.


I’ve only published one book. It had a modest success, reaching 198 on the NYT bestseller list for a day or so, before disappearing into oblivion. I made an appearance on the Good Day Show, a number of obscure videocasts with five dodgy fans, who just wanted me to open one more button on my blouse. I’ve gone from Zanesville to Alexandria, and every Jackson you can think of where I may have met thirty fans, though some of them may have been paid to be there. I am about to sink into the $0.99 category online when I get a call from my agent. Bless her heart.


“I know it’s short notice, but you were the first person I thought of.”


Yeah, right. The only two positives that when added together, will always make a negative, flit through my half numb brain.


“Humph.” is the sound I can make at seven am on a Saturday while Friday is still hanging around and lightly snoring on the other half of my bed.


“You are to give the commencement speech at Holy Smokes School for Ladies. I have emailed you the link to your ticket. The plane leaves from Lunken at ten o’clock, today. Don’t make me look bad,


“Wait!”


 But she has hung up. I imagine I’m not her only client. Probably. Because if I were she would be starving, and I’d have to shop around for another one. It’s not an overnight trip, but just in case, I stuff a toothbrush, clean underwear, and some extra pads in my large purse.


And that's why I am here, on a stage, about to make a fool of myself.


Trying, in vain, not to be nervous, I watch the front rows fill up with black-clad young women, all giggling and chattering, until the school president taps on the microphone. Promptly all eyes swivel forward and automatically glaze over.


After the woman’s monotone but mercifully short speech, the graduates prance, one by one, across the stage, grinning and bouncing happily. Once the last one has accepted her diploma, the President sits down. The Dean of Students steps up to the lectern and introduces me. I shall not correct her on the pronunciation of my name. I’m not that persnickety.


To a hesitant, distracted applause, I rise and take my place behind the microphone.


Thank you, Dean Sparrow for that lovely introduction. I am delighted to be here.


Madam President, faculty members, graduates, and families


Like the excellent faculty behind me, my mother was a great teacher. She taught me to brush my teeth, wash behind my ears, and tie my shoelaces. To look both ways before crossing the street and to never go home with strangers. To say please and thank you and smile doing so. To knit, crotchet and sew. To clean up after myself and how not to burn water.


She did not, however, teach me to do my Kegels.


You, honored graduates, are poised to leave these safe and hallowed halls and one by one will trickle into the workplace, where you will undoubtedly meet a tidal wave of conservatism, a strong current designed to maintain the status quo.


I urge you to hold onto your ideals and do your Kegels.


Don’t gush, do not exude as you start your first job. I cannot impress on you enough the value of practicing restraint. Learn to bank any tendencies at running your mouth. Make sure your dams are strong enough to withstand any overtime induced pressure. You should, however, be prepared and have sandbags standing by to protect against any flood of emotions.


While continuing to do your Kegels.


Spewing flattery may stroke your boss’ ego but will be recognized as empty spatters if not outright odiferous dribble and seepage by the very people you want to be on your side.


Instead do your Kegels.


Since you are the new kid in the office, you want to be seen working, not seeking and repeating droplets and goblets of gossip, nor should you be overflowing with innovative ideas, or oozing with newfangled theories. Don’t sprinkle hints about change, not within your first year.


But definitely practice your Kegels.


As you mature in your work you will gain solid footing in the riptide of an ever-changing world. While you climb higher and strain to stay ahead of the cascade of growth and change, you should not need to depend on protection against the drips and drabs and dangerous undertow stirred by a younger generation. Even though you are convinced that they are not dry behind the ear.


You should spend extra time on your Kegels.


You don’t want to always rely on your poise. You need to feel assured that you are able to control the basics while you join in the heavy lifting of work. You want to feel confident that you will not be washed away by a paltry sneeze. And decades from now, when you embrace your retirement, you should feel secure that it is not only your sharp wit that is dry.


Because you are still doing your Kegels.


Thank you and good luck.


The large room, though packed to rafters, is deadly silent while I return to my seat. I know that I have given them the most important lesson they will undoubtedly ignore.


With thanks for the inspiration to Mary Schmich of the Chicago Tribune. (June 1997)


August 16, 2024 19:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

20:20 Aug 29, 2024

I enjoyed this story. Took me back to my own high school graduation, then I liked the twist of the narrator being an author. Excellent commencement advice which I wish could have been given and heeded to many people that I have reluctantly worked alongside in the past. Want to read more.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:31 Aug 29, 2024

Thank you, Tempest. I wish someone had drilled it into me. You said you want to read more, have at it. I think I have 60 there. And thanks in advance. 🤗

Reply

11:44 Sep 07, 2024

I meant I would keep reading if it was a novel or a collection of short stories based around the wedding venue. But I shall read more of your other stories, for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mindy Reed
14:38 Aug 29, 2024

Writing humor is difficult, but Trudy nails it. Although funny, it contains pearls of wisdom. This should be turned into a Ted Talk.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:17 Aug 29, 2024

Thanks, Mindy. Trilled you enjoyed it. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
00:06 Aug 28, 2024

In addition to doing her Kegels, this author was having a lot of fun with words - LOL! If I ever manage to publish a book, I hope I don't end up at the Holy Smokes School for Ladies. However, if I do, I'll know what to talk about. What a fun (and fluid) read!

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:43 Aug 28, 2024

LOL. Thanks Karen. Yes, I've had buckets of fun. Been wading through the idea for this for a while now, decided take a deep breath and dive in, and have been milking every drop I can. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dragon The Poet
16:23 Aug 26, 2024

This is honestly great advice. And I will remember to do my kegels lol

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:41 Aug 26, 2024

Glad to help. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
02:56 Aug 25, 2024

Haha, had to look that up to make sure I was on the right track! Always known it as pelvic floor exercise, will have to ask around in case this is something everyone else my side of the pond knows about except me. The speech was a lot of fun, could have done with much of this advice in my youth. Great descriptions of the girls and stage as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:38 Aug 19, 2024

And she gave this speech without batting an eye? Good on her. I will remember to do my kegels. It's a wonder she didn't advise them to only do them on an empty bladder. (this is sound advice - antenatal class) What I can't understand is why the audience didn't laugh. I certainly did. I loved this unique story. The speech had profound advice but why did she talk about workplace etiquette as a new employee? I was waiting for her to recommend her book, discreetly. A wonderful story, Trudy. P.S. You seriously need to do them.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:47 Aug 19, 2024

If only I could actually complete a whole set without having to "go". LOL Thank you, Kaitlyn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
22:20 Aug 19, 2024

Well, she speaking to a college graduationg class. One would assume that unless they just got their MRS, they'll be out looking for a job. But, if you want to, go back and see howmany "water" related wortds you can find. :-)

Reply

22:26 Aug 19, 2024

LOL. Did that. Well done. Was 'extra pads' one of them? It is a suggestion of 'water leaking'.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:34 Aug 19, 2024

Yup, and "Poise, Depends, Always" are brand names. I think the tally is over 30. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:32 Aug 20, 2024

LOL. Over here, it's Poise, Tena and Carefree. Therefore I didn't pick up on Yup, Depends and Always

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Hannah Lynn
11:55 Aug 19, 2024

My goodness … not where I expected that speech to go lol! A fun read for sure! Thanks for the Monday morning smiles! 😊

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:43 Aug 19, 2024

Anytime. :-) Thanks for the read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:39 Aug 18, 2024

Never received such worthy advice.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:44 Aug 18, 2024

I know, right? It's not something we learn in PE. LOL Thanks, Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:13 Aug 17, 2024

It reminds me of that graduation speech that highlighted wearing sunscreen. Hahahaha ! Wonderful work, Trudy !

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:27 Aug 17, 2024

Exactly! Thank you, Alexis. Thought the speech part is urban legend. it was an articlle in the Chicago trib.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.D. Adler
20:58 Aug 16, 2024

Brilliant, I love how you took the concept of kegels and transformed it into so much more, speaking of restraint and control in very creative and interesting ways. It sure is an important lesson to learn, thank you for reminding me about my kegels 😆

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:05 Aug 16, 2024

You are welcome. Now if it ly I could take my own advice. 😏 Thanks MD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.