36 comments

Fiction

The beach will be small. But somehow, it’ll be enough. Two lonely strangers will tumble over its coast like driftwood into the clutches of low tides. Deep within their rib cages, their hearts will be crumbling sandcastles, awkwardly patted together by the children they once were.

The woman will stash sand dollars into her coat pockets, saving them to play checkers later with her daughter. There'll be scallop shells wreathed into her hair. The man will have plastic wrinkles melting from his eyes. Years will be carved into his face, making him look older than he’ll be. He’ll stare down a pack of Camels and repeatedly shake his head.

She will notice him first. From her place crouched in the gravel, he'll appear as if he’s made of moonlight and pearls. Bridging her head back, she’ll take in the depressions on his cheeks until she’ll know he’s like her. A paper sailboat. With each passing moment, they’ll find themselves slipping from the string connecting them to the shore. Drawing nearer the approaching horizon.

“What’s your dream?”

It will be a simple question, one she’ll only ask to strangers. Because she’ll know that strangers are only friends you haven’t met. And right now, she’ll need a friend. The silence will fill the darkness between them, loud and crashing, a tidal wave of unspoken truths.

“To be human with no regrets. To live and feel. To experience.” The woman will blink twice at the youth behind his voice. His smile will be grim and bittersweet.

“You say that as if you’re going to die.”

“Aren’t we all?”

She won’t be able to argue with that. Instead, she’ll reel in a legal pad from her otherwise castoff handbag. Her shaky breaths will tiptoe into the air like footprints in the sand. Every few strokes on the page and her pencil will crackle into ashes. She’ll scratch the side of the tip on the paper and realign. But her words won’t make sense of the lines.

“What’s your problem?” the man will ask.

“Sorry?”

“You asked about my dream.” He’ll flip over the Camels and pretend to understand the colours on the box. “What’s bothering you?”

The woman’s clumsy pencil will finally bend lead into curves. December 31st, the page will swallow the numbers. He’ll tap the glass of his watch, the hands frozen at 6:19 am. His fingers will tangle into fishing lines, trapping his short nails.

“You don’t have to share. Just thought you might want to let it out.”

“Well, the truth is,” her knuckles will tighten like clams, “I have a confession to make.”

Something will be lingering in the space between them that day. Maybe it will be madness, maybe it will be solace. Either way, there’ll be a sort of magic that only comes from strangers by the sea.

“I feel like a thief,” she’ll say, plain and simple. “Like I steal from the stars. Every day I write about them and I can’t seem to stop. My poems are dipped in stars, but I never asked their permission. I promised I’d find something else to write about. That I’d write for myself this year. But promises break faster than trust.”

Delicate clouds will spread beyond the sea as if they’re the wings of the moon. Through the haze, the distant skyline will glisten like soap bubbles. The man will understand then, that her eyes churn with otherness and thoughts that wander off the edge of the earth.

“Then do it.”

“What?”

“The year isn’t over yet.”

She’ll open her lips as if to say something, but think better of it and shake her head. The water will spray seafoam onto her brow like a crown and she’ll replace her pencil with a ballpoint. “It’s more permanent this way,” she’ll explain.

Her phone will cast beams on the sand and the man will catch the true time. 11:43 pm. She will mistake his glance for interest and rotate the screen so the light will flutter through the dark. For a second, she’ll be stunned as his features will ripple out from the shadows. How little the man will have truly lived, how small the years he’ll have passed.

“My daughter,” she’ll say, referring to her wallpaper. “We eat dessert first, but never skip our veggies! She deserves the world, but I can’t even give her a backyard to pretend in.”

He’ll nod respectfully, gesturing for her to continue. Somehow, it'll be the silent support she’ll need. “My husband was a fighter. He protected us. But sometimes,” her voice will break, “you pick a fight you can’t win.”

The silence will grow thick then. So quiet that he’ll hear the memories ensnared in her neck and she’ll hear the blood sloshing around his heart. The only outward sounds will be her pen etching life into paper and his breathing interlocking with the ocean.

The noise will be sudden, low and sweet. Tickling through the empty space in a foreign, unearthly way. She’ll think it’s singing. But then she’ll see the raindrops trickling from his eyes like gentle torrents on the seaside. She’ll scrabble through her bag for the heap of fast food napkins, rushing to hold them under his chin. His tears will roll over his nose, slide across his cheek and splat onto the tissue.

She’ll explain to him why you mustn’t waste tears. It’s why she collects strays and keeps them. Catching, never counting. His throat will bob like planets as she’ll leak snippets of her childhood. How she’ll have stubbornly tried to count every star in the night, but find that the sky only changed its freckles in retaliation. So she’ll have stopped counting tears and stars and instead, read them and their meanings.

“Maybe,” he’ll tilt his head to the moon, “they aren’t there to be quantified. Perhaps we aren’t meant to count the stars. Just savour and understand them.”

There will be a slight pause before he’ll offer the story of his tears. “Lung cancer.”

“Oh. I’m-”

“Please don’t say you’re sorry.”

For the first time that night, one of them will smile. “I was going to say I’m rooting for you.”

Every silence between them will only seem to amplify, until the woman will be sure even the stars can hear. But the man will feel the ocean rushing in his ears and he’ll know that silence won’t mean you’re alone. In the company of a stranger, silence will mean each is fighting their own battle. He’ll massage the cigarette package between his fingers, lost in a trance with the faded letters.

“Are you going to take one?” She’ll point to the Camels and his breath will hitch.

“No. . .”

“Alright then, let me free up your hands.”

The woman will reach for his palms gently, almost giving him the time to pull away. But he’ll only peer beyond the line where the ocean kisses the sky. She’ll peel away the opening flap and stuff the cigs into her handbag to throw out later. Because what kind of mother will she be if she scatters them in the sand and tells her daughter not to litter?

It will be a little hard with the bracelets orbiting her wrists, but she’ll still have it in her. With a little love and spit, she’ll sharpen the creases of the cardboard, folding down the tabs until she’ll have her desired form. A paper sailboat. And she’ll let it escape into the frothy fingers of the sea, watching as it’ll sail off without a map. The man will observe her the whole time, until he can’t contain himself.

“That was my last pack.” His laughter will fill the expanse the silence will have once. “I’ve been dreaming of quitting those suckers all year. You just did it for me in the simplest way.”

The woman will adjust the shells in her calculatedly messy curls. She'll decide she's happy she chose to skip the New Year's party. “Maybe we aren’t meant to follow our dreams. Maybe we have to build them.”

Ten. Somehow they’ll know then, that in the last seconds of the year, they’ll have touched their goals. Nine. They won’t use a timer. Eight. The broken watch will be out of the question. Seven. Together, they’ll clench their fists into asteroids, chipped with fear. Six. And hope. Five. The silence will steady them. Four. And they’ll listen. Three. It’s there that they’ll find the answer. Two. The sound of their entwined heartbeats, ticking off the time. Counting down. One.

Are we new people now?” he will ask, shattering the quiet.

“I don’t think so. We might change a little, but we’re still ourselves.”

He’ll scratch his nape. “Maybe that’s enough.”

“Maybe.”

The details won’t be clear after that. All that’ll be known is that eventually, they’ll go their separate ways. The beach will once have been enough to hold their hearts, but on January 1st, it’ll be small again. In the dark silence, a lone page will coast through the sky, passing under the moon’s eyes.

Cartwheeling onto the sand, it'll sink into a puddle of starlight. And the stars will give their blessing. The only evidence that the man and the woman will have been there, will be the echo of their untuned heartbeats and the poem dipped in stars.


They’ll be strangers at the start

But together, they’ll be the full moon

They’ll be strangers when they part

Two waning crescents, falling out of tune

December 27, 2020 03:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Zilla Babbitt
15:09 Dec 31, 2020

I wonder how many people are going to do this prompt? It seemed so hard, but you made it look easy. Really beautiful. You and Scout and Maya and Abigail always have these wistful, romantic, beautiful, poetic stories and I always love them. I have no critique this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scout Tahoe
06:03 Dec 27, 2020

This is my favorite. And I'm so jealous. As Maya said, you portray people's emotions like you've experienced them yourself. They're so sad and true and I'm lost for words. I know you were unsure about the title, but this one matches so well. I don't know how you do it because it's perfectly written. Lovely, and so I have no critiques. Thank you for this gift. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies

From the first word of your story to the end, you captivated my attention. Such a majestic job, I am in awe by you wonderful story. I am really looking forward to reading more of your wonderful stories! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya W.
05:04 Dec 27, 2020

Hey Ru! Okay, can I just say that I can very even imagine being as good a writer as you? You're just so great at portraying people's emotions, and that's supposed to be what I'm good at, but compared to your writing, I'm not even good at it! This story is just incredible. I usually dislike it when writers write about writers because it often ends up being badly written self inserts, but you and many others here have proved me wrong. The only thing I would change is the title - I dunno, it feels a little generic. But that's it. Good work. On...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elle Clark
21:41 Dec 29, 2020

Beautiful - as always. Your imagery is stunning - as always - and your characters are almost ethereal -as always - despite also have a wonderful grounding in reality. This was a gorgeous vignette of these character’s lives and was presented as a snapshot of time with a perfect end. My only feedback would be about them being on the beach together - I was distracted by trying to work out if they knew each other and had arranged the meeting or if they were there by chance... a minor thing but it niggled at the back of my mind. I love the wa...

Reply

Ru .
21:48 Dec 29, 2020

Thanks Laura, I live for your comments. The perfect dose of encouragement and advice. I did have that concern going in, and I'll see if I can go and shape that up by using "two lonely strangers" instead of souls. It was lovely to hear from you, it really has been too long.

Reply

Elle Clark
21:52 Dec 29, 2020

Two lonely strangers would make it much clearer- a perfect micro edit that clarifies. Though now I wonder if it actually was an edit or if it said that the whole time and I’m an idiot who didn’t read carefully enough. I know - real life has been a bit hectic with the End Times getting in the way of my writing. I’ve been around judging still, though I’ve had to step away a little bit. Brief respite from work means that I’ve had a bit of headspace to write something though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
18:16 Dec 27, 2020

Oh and I just wanted to say thanks for the follow! Glad I could be on your VIP list haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
N. N.
17:49 Dec 27, 2020

Your writing skills are absolutely no joke. Seriously, beautiful doesn't even begin to describe it. It's just so exquisite, and intricately written, that I felt like I read it on a fragile porcelain vase — one that would crumble the minute I exhaled the breath, I was holding throughout the story. Consider me awestruck. Oh, and the use of future tense is just perfect. Just. Perfect. It's an amazing story, R. K. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rayhan Hidayat
10:34 Dec 27, 2020

Holy crap you’ve outdone yourself. The cigarette packet turning into a paper boat is a simple but beautiful metaphor. Actually, everything was beautiful. Kudos to that. The choice to write in future tense is interesting. It makes the events of the story feel inevitable, like the two characters are destined to meet at the beach in some magical twist of fate. Dang, I really wish you could write more often! 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Batool Hussain
06:44 Jan 01, 2021

This is so beautiful, Ru. The way you've weaved this prompt is incredible. The poetic way in which all the words came out on the screen is FLAWLESS. I'm so, so impressed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
17:57 Dec 28, 2020

Ru I- Wow. I've never seen someone nail future tense like this. The ending is beautiful. One of my favorite stories now. I really don't know what to say. Normally, I think the dialogue in these types of stories, the more poetic ones, ruin it. But of course, you've proved me wrong. It's perfect and very YOU, in its essence. <3 Amany

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:51 Dec 28, 2020

They’ll be strangers at the start But together, they’ll be the full moon They’ll be strangers when they part Two waning crescents, falling out of tune That, my fellow Reeders is GOOD POETRY. Keep up the good work! LOOOOOVE this! I don't use all caps or extra exclamation points unless I have to, so that tells you how much I like this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:44 Dec 27, 2020

I am impressed. It's magical. These lines drew me in and melted my heart. I love the way you wrote it. Beautiful and tragic. You are a great writer, Ru. I'm proud.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scout Tahoe
23:48 Mar 24, 2021

Hello, Ru!

Reply

Show 0 replies
A. S.
15:49 Jan 27, 2021

Each of your stories are gorgeously stunning. The emotion you were able to convey is breathtaking. I really loved your metaphors; they deepened your characters into real people. Would you be willing to give me some advice on how to create better metaphors?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Johanna Leo
20:07 Jan 06, 2021

Really beautiful prose!! I really enjoyed reading it, you have such a captivating way with words

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kylie Rudolf
23:17 Jan 03, 2021

This was such an AMAZING story! I loved every word!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avani G
22:45 Dec 31, 2020

I love the story and the writing, but unfortunately, it just didn't click for me. I don't think it's the writing but the prompt itself. I liked your descriptions and the poem at the end was magical, but the narrating was a little bit of an odd decision. Whilst properly developed, I do think third-person would have worked much better. I also do think that maybe you could work on plot development. It seems to me that these two strangers meet and by some magical thread of destiny, their strangers but also like a friend they've long been waiting...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Sutherland
19:46 Dec 31, 2020

Oh, and also: how can you write in future tense like that? Like... how? I upvoted you a bit, I'm so awed by this. SPECTACULAR.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Sutherland
19:45 Dec 31, 2020

This was... majestic. How am I supposed to describe it? It's so flowing and perfect and dramatic and sweet... <3 Great job Ru! (I hope you don't mind me calling you that. I just read it in a comment. I know we don't know each other so it's okay if that's not okay with you. :D) -Megan

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yolanda Wu
01:02 Dec 29, 2020

Truly a breathtaking story. I don't understand how you haven't won yet. The delicacy of the descriptions, the specificity, I'm here for it. I loved how your story underneath all that was still amazing and touching, I was feeling all those emotions stirring in me. The future tense added so much to the story, and you pulled it off so well, I don't know how you did it. Honestly, stop being so good at writing, you're making me feel bad. Lol, jokes, keep doing what you do, and just know that I'm still gushing over this story. Amazing work, Ru!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.