276 comments

Fantasy

"Hello, dear friend! It's been so long." Mira Caplan perched at the door like a hawk, being the social chemist she was. With great zeal, she embraced her dear friend Pierre.


"Ah, dear Duchess Caplan. You haven't changed at all." Duke Pierre Kuragin, though the nobles called him Kuragin, was a stout man, bullish in demeanor. He was a respectable man, though his wealth had dwindled in the past few years.


Mira swiftly directed him to the table of old generals, knowing that was where he wouldn't cause any trouble. After all, trouble at a social gathering was every hostess's worst nightmare.


As the guests filed in, everyone took their spot in the place the Duchess plopped them in. They all seemed to enjoy themselves, especially given the people they were next to.


"Everyone, it is time! The full moon rises!! Bring out your magical cookies." Mira announced with a commanding voice. Every year, the Magical moon rose, and Mira hosted the nobility for a magical cookie exchange. As the moonlight shone into everyone's cookies, someone gasped. Duchess Mira looked their way immediately only to find that the woman had received an orange. The third-rarest.


"Congratulations to this Madam! She has received the power of the mind!" Everyone cheered and clapped, but it was not the woman that Mira was looking at. It was young Andrew Beckingham. The child of the nobility. Through her magical gift of last year, she knew exactly which cookie he would receive.


"Oh dear Andrew, please come here." All bravado that had been in her voice was gone, and she talked in a hushed whisper.


"Yes, dear Duchess Caplan?" He was a tall young man, well built and lean, but Mira wasn't looking at him but at his cookie.


"My dear, you remember my power of divination that I received through the last moon festival?" He nodded his approval, not entirely invested in the conversation.


"Child, you have received a cursed cookie. Yes, don't question me about how I know, but I know." As soon as Mira uttered the word "Cursed" his eyes snapped up. Everyone knew of Mira's third rarest gift of divination, and most importantly, everyone trusted it.


"Will you take it, kind Madam? Will you dispose of it for me?" He didn't take the time to listen for her answer before dropping it in her hand and fleeing.


"That child. He can't use his head." She grinned, glee spreading across her face, as the moonlight shone into her cookie. It transformed, not into a cursed cookie, no, but into a red. The second-rarest. The power of control over all reality.

_______________LARIONA POV__________________


"What does this have to do with the SRE?" I asked. Ayn had just finished telling her story, but I still couldn't see how it connected.


"My child, it has everything to do with it. Duchess Mira Caplan of the old Oligarchy was our very first member. Back when the Demogor and we were one."


"Wait... So... did all you guys eat weird magical cookies?" It made sense that that was how they got their powers, because I'd heard of using the moon to enhance powers.


"Yes. That is how we initiate and how we receive our extra powers. Now it is time for you to do the same." Ayn spoke in a tone of great wonder, like a storyteller.


So I was going to join a society of enchanters like me. I was going to get a special power that very few others had, hopefully, and I was going to do it by eating a cookie.


"Ayn, do you think we should tell her?" Toni Steinbeck, the raven-haired enchantress who hadn't spoke at all, whispered into Ayn's ear.


"Tell me what?" The other members exchanged furtive glances, and Ayn's eyes were clearest as she glared at Toni.


"Nothing, my dear." Ayn was withholding something. I was sure of it. Maybe she had a right to, though. After all, they were a secret organization that'd been around for centuries.


"Are you prepared for your cookie?" Another member, wearing the same type of sash as Ayn, stood with a tray.


"Is it the full moon yet?" It had been so long since I had seen the light of day that I had no sense of time anymore. The cookie-holder held out the tray in response, which I took to mean yes.


Three women cranked open the sunroof, which I hadn't spotted before. That was weird, that they had concealed it from view. Maybe that was someone's ability.


"Take your cookie and hold it out." I did what she asked, not expecting anything out of the ordinary. After all, I had been an enchanter for all my life, and I'd seen some crazy things.


Suddenly, the cookie glowed. I don't mean like a glowstick, or like stale Strickleberry, but it shone like a star. A silvery thread wove through the air in front of me, taking my breath away. That I hadn't seen before.


It settled into the cookie, weaving it's way inside. Just then, the cookie glowed silver. I didn't know what it meant, but I slumped my shoulders, expecting it to mean something weak and common. That was my luck, that I would get a weak ability.


However, when I saw the faces of the other members, my expectations morphed into something else. Ayn was in a prostrate position, her eyes sparkling in wonder. Toni and the other members were all pressed against the wall, avoiding me as if I was the plague.


"Ayn, do you know what this means?" Another green-dressed member hissed.


I couldn't breathe. I had no idea what they were talking about. It couldn't be that powerful, could it? The more I looked at their faces, though, the more I was sure that it was. My mind flitted back to my mother, stoic and brave. What she had always used to tell me.


"You are magical royalty. Remember that." I had always that meant that I was a member of the most powerful family of enchanters. Maybe it meant something else entirely.


"Yes, Joanne. I know what it means. The prophecy is true."


THIS IS DEDICATED TO MIRA CAPLAN AND JENNIE PLEASE LIKE AND FOLLOW THEM!!!!


ONLY NOBLES OF RANKS DUCHESS AND DUKE, PRINCE AND PRINCESS, AND KING AND QUEEN CAN RECEIVE MORE THAN ONE ABILITY.


LIGHT SPECTRUM:


GREEN: NOTHING

YELLOW: LIGHT CREATION

BLACK: LIGHT CONTROL AND DARK CONTROL

BROWN: ANIMALS CONTROL AND UNDERSTANDING

PINK: DIVINATION

GOLD: ILLUSIONS

ORANGE: MIND POWERS

RED: MANIPULATION OF ALL REALITY

SILVER: TBD


DARK SPECTRUM:

TBDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

December 08, 2020 16:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

276 comments

Nainika Gupta
16:34 Dec 08, 2020

WHAT A CLIFFHANGER!!! Omg, I can't wait for part 4!!!! This was a great 3rd part that really paid tribute to the prompt, and tied into your other parts as well!! I loved how unique this was (while still being a great 3rd part - i can't stop saying that :D) and yeah!!! Just...amazing job :))))

Reply

. .
16:35 Dec 08, 2020

Thanks so much!! Also, what color do you think you'd be? I credit some of the inspiration to Darkest Minds, but not all...

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:40 Dec 08, 2020

haha, ummmm i think i'd be red or brown :))) Just because I'm evil and an animal lover at heart ;) (btw, you misspelled brown as browm)

Reply

. .
16:40 Dec 08, 2020

Oh oop I'll fix that. Ya, that seems like you.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:41 Dec 08, 2020

haha I know - its like it spoke to meeeeee

Reply

. .
16:41 Dec 08, 2020

Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
18:39 Dec 10, 2020

Post another storyyyyyyyyy

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
14:16 Dec 09, 2020

I MADE AN EASTER EGG IN THE STORY AND YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT IT IS IF YOU READ A CERTAIN NOVEL BY A CERTAIN RUSSIAN AUTHOR THAT COMES TO EVERYONE'S MIND WHEN I SAY "An extremely long and complicated book"

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
16:29 Dec 08, 2020

GREAT JOBBB!!! This story fit the prompt really well! And it was realllyyyy good!! Are you going to add a part 4?

Reply

. .
16:30 Dec 08, 2020

Yeah! I'm not leaving you on a cliffhanger like that!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:31 Dec 08, 2020

Ok good! Tell me when you finish it!!

Reply

. .
16:33 Dec 08, 2020

I'm gonna do that for next week but yeah I will! also pls post a continuation of yoursssssss

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:35 Dec 08, 2020

Yep I willlll! I'll post it (hopefully) soon!! (BTW you're going to be in it!! And Mira as well :D)

Reply

. .
16:35 Dec 08, 2020

WHAT YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
14:18 Dec 10, 2020

Hi Luke! Just posted a new story!!

Reply

. .
14:21 Dec 10, 2020

O M GGGGGGGGGG

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
16:18 Dec 08, 2020

heyyyyyy me joins the chat. AMAZING LUKE!!! i love stories that leave with powerful cliffhangers/discoveries (even tho its a tad agonizing). I love your word choice: zeal, bullish, dwindle and the descriptions: "...I don't mean like a glowstick, or like stale Strickleberry, but it shone like a star. A silvery thread wove through the air in front of me, taking my breath away..."

Reply

. .
16:19 Dec 08, 2020

Thanks so much Jen!! I loved writing this stuff!! Fantasy is real fun!! NOW GET YOURS OUT PLSSSSSSS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:36 Dec 08, 2020

Hiiiii!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:36 Dec 08, 2020

WHAT LUKE SAID!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Amany Sayed
21:32 Dec 09, 2020

Is. It. Narnia?

Reply

. .
21:33 Dec 09, 2020

Yes. It. Is.

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:33 Dec 09, 2020

AHHH

Reply

. .
21:34 Dec 09, 2020

You did it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
16:30 Dec 09, 2020

I LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEE The Darkest Minds!!! My first story on Reedsy was based on The Darkest Minds! :) Love the story!

Reply

. .
16:31 Dec 09, 2020

Ooh yeah it was kind of inspired! Thanks so much Phebe!!! Which color do you think you'd be? I'm a silver lol I'm so cruel

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
16:53 Dec 09, 2020

Ummmmmmm I'm definitely a red. It's clearly the best, just like me. *hair flip* LOL, just kidding, I'm not a narcissist. I'm just a red.

Reply

. .
16:54 Dec 09, 2020

Haha yeah red is pretty cool, but not as cool as silver hahahahahaha why do I do this

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
16:58 Dec 09, 2020

*narrows eyes* Would you like me to turn you into a plastic mug?

Reply

. .
17:13 Dec 09, 2020

No thx

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:31 Dec 08, 2020

Hiiii!

Reply

. .
20:32 Dec 08, 2020

Yes!! I can't scroll!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:36 Dec 08, 2020

XDDDDD same

Reply

. .
20:37 Dec 08, 2020

So happy to have that fresh comment thread!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
18:37 Dec 10, 2020

Hola.

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:43 Dec 10, 2020

Hiiiiiiii!

Reply

. .
18:46 Dec 10, 2020

What're you doing? (Lol I sound like B.W.)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

PINK AND ORANGE!!!!!!! GOOOOD JOB YAYAYAYAYAYY!!!! OR BLACK AHaHaHA

Reply

. .
18:36 Dec 08, 2020

Yay!! Yeah that seems like a you thing!! I'm a silver, but you don't know what that is yet hehehehehe!!

Reply

. .
18:38 Dec 08, 2020

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

. .
18:39 Dec 08, 2020

I haven't talked to you much lately! Did you see my other story Cookiesplosion?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:10 Dec 08, 2020

YESSSSSSS!!! Thank you SO much for including me in it!!!!! (I promise, Luke Castor will play an important role in Part 6, as will Raya.) :) :) :) :) :)

Reply

. .
16:10 Dec 08, 2020

Yay!!! Which cookie color do you think you are

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:10 Dec 08, 2020

Hmmmm.....idk

Reply

. .
16:11 Dec 08, 2020

I'd probs be orange or silver

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:11 Dec 08, 2020

WHAT'S SILVER????

Reply

. .
16:12 Dec 08, 2020

You'll see it's gonna be amazing.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:11 Dec 08, 2020

Black, Gold, Orange, or Red

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:11 Dec 08, 2020

Maybe not red...idk

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:11 Dec 08, 2020

How about you???

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:10 Dec 08, 2020

And, Jen, if you see this, WRITE A STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
16:10 Dec 08, 2020

Yes!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
20:41 Dec 08, 2020

i see this and gosh you'd think I was forgetting to pay my bills lol 🤣

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
20:41 Dec 08, 2020

i'd say ten more mins and you'll see my story 😁

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:43 Dec 08, 2020

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:43 Dec 08, 2020

XDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Mira Caplan
19:11 Dec 16, 2020

Hurry up and post Part 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
19:12 Dec 16, 2020

It's coming after school

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:12 Dec 16, 2020

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Reply

. .
19:13 Dec 16, 2020

:DDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:59 Dec 11, 2020

could ya check out "A strange lover" and leave feedback?

Reply

. .
22:13 Dec 11, 2020

Totally!

Reply

B. W.
22:35 Dec 11, 2020

thanks ^^

Reply

. .
14:04 Dec 12, 2020

No prob

Reply

B. W.
18:05 Dec 12, 2020

:)

Reply

. .
18:24 Dec 12, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:47 Dec 08, 2020

DUDE YOU GOTTA TELL ME WHEN YOU HAVE A NEW STORY!!!! This was good!! I really enjoyed it! I don't know what color I would be, though. Part four, please!!! Also, it seems like nobody can get your emoji thing. EVEN WITH THE HINT I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!! Great job!!!

Reply

. .
23:50 Dec 08, 2020

I WILL!! I WOULD BE COLOR SILVER BUT U DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS YET!!! FINE I'LL CHANGE THE EMOJI IT WAS DON QUIXOTE!!!!

Reply

Avery G.
01:41 Dec 09, 2020

YEAH!!!! Silver...hmmm... OHHHHHHH OKAY!!!!!!

Reply

. .
12:17 Dec 09, 2020

Lol I made a new emoji

Reply

Avery G.
19:11 Dec 09, 2020

Okay...hmm...clue, please

Reply

. .
19:12 Dec 09, 2020

My clue is a snowy lamppost

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
17:54 Dec 08, 2020

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
17:54 Dec 08, 2020

Which color do you think you are?

Reply

. .
18:18 Dec 08, 2020

I'd be silver lol I'm so cruel.

Reply

yeah because we dont know what silver is yet!!!!

Reply

. .
18:21 Dec 08, 2020

Hehehehehehe

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Mira Caplan
18:43 Dec 11, 2020

I just saw one of your comments on Zea Bowman's story, That One Feeling, I think, AND YOU CALLED ME YOUR BESTIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Reply

. .
18:46 Dec 11, 2020

I did!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:50 Dec 11, 2020

THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm your best friend???????????????????

Reply

. .
18:51 Dec 11, 2020

Yeah!

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:53 Dec 11, 2020

I feel all warm and sparkly inside like I just had a cup of that tea you love so much. You're also one of my two best friends!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Idk why I'm freaking out so much BUT I'M SO HAPPYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

. .
18:55 Dec 11, 2020

Yayyyyyyyyyy!!! I do love that tea tho. I'm coming out with an awesome story, but this time I'm going to focus real hard and it might take *looks around for anyone watching* a day *gasps audibly*.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
18:55 Dec 11, 2020

Like, one of my two best best best best best friends. BFFAOE's. (Best Friends for All of Eternity!)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
17:20 Dec 11, 2020

ATLAS SHRUGGED, RIGHT??????

Reply

. .
17:21 Dec 11, 2020

Yes. sigh.

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:22 Dec 11, 2020

hehe.......

Reply

. .
17:23 Dec 11, 2020

...

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:29 Dec 11, 2020

Give me a clue for the current one

Reply

. .
17:33 Dec 11, 2020

No you should know this.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:45 Dec 09, 2020

Hiii! Me, again. I listened to some of Ailee's English covers and SRYDYHFV HVBYJFHMKGBUIJMN SHE'S AMAXING

Reply

. .
16:46 Dec 09, 2020

I KNOW

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:47 Dec 09, 2020

I just upvoted you a ton

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:47 Dec 09, 2020

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jasey Lovegood
01:34 Dec 29, 2020

["Are you prepared for your cookie?"] I have never seen such suspense in a story before, **french kiss**. Loved Part 3, and I can't wait to read the next one. Amazing job! :D

Reply

. .
12:34 Dec 29, 2020

Lol XD Merci for your french kiss.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:16 Dec 29, 2020

De rien :)

Reply

. .
22:35 Dec 29, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.