Marshmallow Pride

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

328 comments

Friendship

THIS IS DEDICATED TO THE MARSHMALLOWS, CELESTE, KATE, NAINIKA, MIRA, JENNIE, (AND ME) FOR BEING SO NICE AND NURTURING AND FOR BEING SO AMAXING. NEW MALLOWS HAVE JOINED BUT THESE ARE THE ORIGINALS. THESE BOOKS WILL CHANGE OVER TIME, THEY ARE NOT SET IN STONE FOREVER. HAPPY NEW YEAR, LAST STORY OF 2020!!!



10. Keeper of the Lost Cities


“No. Absolutely not.” Celeste took the pencil from me and broke it in her hands. “I refuse to put that on the list behind the Great Gatsby. I never got the storyline of Gatsby and Daisy, but KotLC is awesome.” 


Jennie kept on nodding in agreement, and she inched closer to Celeste to pick up the shards of my pencil before breaking it again. 


“All right, all right, I’ll take it off.” No I wouldn’t. They can say what they want about my choices, that doesn’t mean I’m changing them. I shoved Celeste lightly, and Jennie fake-fell to enunciate the HEINOUS CRIME I COMMITTED BY PUSHING OVER CELESTE. If I’m not allowed to push my friends, I might as well be a criminal.


9. The Great Gatsby


“YOU LIAR!!! YOU SAID YOU WOULD PUT KOTLC BEFORE THIS!!!” Jennie and Celeste spoke almost in tandem, as if they were playing a mega-game of jinx. 


“Come on, guys, this is like a classic. It’s one of the most famous American novels, give him a break.” Nainika, obviously the only one to actually have read it, chimed in with a smile. There we had it, team Gatsby and team Foster-Keefe. 


8. Beloved 


“Have you even read this book?” Mira was always questioning me, always skeptical of my book-nerd omnipotence. 


“Eh, I skimmed through it.” This was around the time that Kate chimed in, shoving me right over the log. We were at a campout, toasting some marshmallows while discussing booknerdom. Of course, Kate had read Beloved. She’d read all of the books that we hadn’t. 


“Well, why did you include it then?!?!?” Mira was yelling now, as loud as I’d always expected her comments to be IRL. 


“Even if I haven’t read it, Toni Morrison is a queen above queens. She’s the Ailee of books.” Mira started cackling the way she always did, but don’t worry, she’s not a dark witch, that’s just how she laughs.


7. One Hundred Years of Solitude


“Ok, I have no objections to this one.” Kate gave me a fist-bump from across the fire. 


“See?? Kate’s with me!! This one slaps you right in the face.” None of the other Mallows had read it, but they trusted our combined judgment. 


“How’re everyone’s marshmallows?” Mira was already playing around with hers, mushing it into the graham crackers. Mine was burning up, charring just the way I like it.


“Luke, you’re gonna kill us all with that demon monster.” We all laughed, but my marshmallow kept roasting. 


6. The Wife


“Ok, is Luke the only one that’s read this one?” Kate nodded, which made everyone gasp in awe. Other than my all-time favorite book of all time, there were only a couple of books that all of us combined hadn’t read. 


“Really?? No Anton Chekhov fans?? How dare you?? YOU CALL YOURSELVES WRITERS!?!?!” This was how I was sometimes, fire-monster crazy about the books I loved. They’d gotten used to it by now, they just rolled with it and repented.


5. 1984


As soon as I said the “4”, they all nodded their head and started spouting crazy stuff about “Big Brother” and “Ingsoc”. Ha, the children, they thought that they knew books. WERE THEY FLUENT IN THE ENTIRE LANGUAGE OF NEWSPEAK??? I thought not. 


“You people. I took the time to learn all of the languages of Newspeak and I CREATE NEW WORDS EVERY YEAR!!!” Mira started fake-falling backward to be dramatic. Well, it’s true!


4. And Then There Were None


“No. This is not high enough.” Jennie started flying into a full-on rage, smashing her skewer everywhere and yelling about Lawrence Wargrave.


“I adore this book, Jen, you know I do. Howeverrrrrrrr, the other books in front of this are better. I’m so sorry, Agatha Christie.” I prayed to the lords of literature that they would forgive me.


“And Then There Were None is an amazing book. It slaps. IT SLAPS!” Celeste started emphasizing the slaps, slapping her legs as hard as she could.


“I am aware of that. I understand…” I had to keep trying to appease them, and eventually they calmed down a little more, but I was glad to have such faithful Christieites as my friends.


3. War and Peace


“Ohhhhhhhhhh, yes. YES.” Jennie and I were obviously on the same page.


“Did you guys even read this?” I was talking to everyone but Jen. 


“...No… too long.” Mira cowered in shame of what she had just uttered. Sure, it was 1600 words, but it was worth it.


“Ugh, are any of you guys even gonna eat your s’mores?” Kate was a s’more enthusiast, with only one motto: Get s’more s’mores. If there’s not enough, get s’more. I was more low-key with my s’mores consumption.


2. Crime and Punishment


“Luke, you’re the only one that’s read this.” Nainika decided not to spare me any pain and just tell it to me straight out. 


“What??????!?!?!?!?” I screamed like a deranged parrot. Everyone started laughing, trying to calm me down. How could I be calm when none of my friends had read one of the best books of all time? They don’t know any of the characters, they don’t have a favorite, nothing. Sacrilege, that’s what I call it. 


“You are all sacrilegious fools,” I said slowly, trying to let it sink in that they needed to read it in order to get back in my good graces.


“Ugh, come on.” They all threw s’mores at me, and I forgave them. Never hold grudges against your friends, that’s what I’ve learned. 


1. Atlas Shrugged


“Ah, yeah, I know, John Galt.” Jennie and Mira had heard it so many times. So. Many. Times. I couldn’t get through a day without saying it.


“It is literally the best book I’ve ever read. I loved it so much.” They were blown to the ground by the gravity of that statement. For a dedicated booknerd, as they all were, the favorite book is not a stamp of approval given lightly.


“Fine. We’ll all read it.” They said that now, but I knew they wouldn’t. Still, one can hope. 


Authors Note:

EVERYONE READ THE BOOKS ON THIS LIST. NOW.


December 29, 2020 20:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

328 comments

✰ Jennie ✰
22:29 Dec 29, 2020

M E L A U G H I N G S O H A R D ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! can I add in some extra funny things pls (i mean... 2021 spirit)? “You are all sacrilegious fools,” I said slowly, trying to let it sink in that they needed to read it in order to get back in my good graces. Jennie: What can be more sacreligious than putting 'KOTLC' after 'the great gatsby'!?!?!?!? and, when you ask, "how are your marshmallows?" can you also add that nainika has hoarded 10 of them to make a shish kebab and Celeste is licking sticky marshmallow gump off her fingers ...

Reply

. .
22:34 Dec 29, 2020

Yessssssssssss I love all of those ideasssssss

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:35 Dec 29, 2020

yayayayayyyyyyy plus you catch the marshmallow in your mouth

Reply

. .
22:38 Dec 29, 2020

Ha lol I’ll add them when I can. In the meantime read ALL OF THE OTHER BOOKS ON THAT LISTTTTT

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:41 Dec 29, 2020

jk fineeeeeee

Reply

. .
18:18 Dec 31, 2020

JEN THIS IS THE NEW OFFICIAL MALLOW MEETING PLACE AND VARSHA, SAPPHIRE AND AMETHYST, JADE KINGSLEY, AND AKSHAYA SUTRAVE ARE ALL MALLOWS

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
22:41 Dec 29, 2020

no.... because you put them before KOTLC and that is SACRELIGIOUS ON ANOTHER LEVEL

Reply

. .
00:01 Dec 30, 2020

Lol THEYRE ALL BETTER

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
22:35 Dec 29, 2020

yayayayayyyyyyy plus you catch the marshmallow in your mouth

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
22:20 Dec 31, 2020

Btw, where do you most wanna go?

Reply

. .
22:48 Dec 31, 2020

What do you mean??

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
21:18 Dec 29, 2020

Yay!!! Great story, Luke! Happy early New Year! :D

Reply

. .
21:27 Dec 29, 2020

You too Maya!!!!!!

Reply

Maya -
21:28 Dec 29, 2020

🎇 :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
18:20 Dec 31, 2020

OFFICIAL MARSHMALLOW THREAD:

Reply

Maya -
19:46 Dec 31, 2020

IMMA MARSHMALLOW :)))

Reply

. .
21:24 Dec 31, 2020

YAY

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
16:02 Jan 02, 2021

Hey guys Haripriya, Brooke, and Meghan need help.

Reply

Maya -
16:30 Jan 02, 2021

K. I'll upvote! :)

Reply

. .
17:01 Jan 02, 2021

Yay!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
17:14 Jan 02, 2021

Same!

Reply

ALINA Manha
22:09 Jan 02, 2021

Ok! I'll upvote them .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
. .
16:02 Jan 02, 2021

Hey guys Haripriya, Brooke, and Meghan need help.

Reply

Akshaya ✨
16:08 Jan 02, 2021

Sure! Haripriya Anand, Brooke.D, and Megan Sutherland, right?

Reply

. .
16:20 Jan 02, 2021

Yeah, but hari changed her name. shes nine on the leaderboard.

Reply

Akshaya ✨
16:21 Jan 02, 2021

Sure! I was just confirming it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:38 Jan 04, 2021

can someone put Radhika's link, I can't find her :'(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
ALINA Manha
02:53 Jan 01, 2021

IMMA MARSHMALLOW !!!!!!!!🤯🤯🤩🤩

Reply

Akshaya ✨
04:14 Jan 01, 2021

IMMA MARSHMALLOW, TOO!

Reply

. .
16:02 Jan 02, 2021

Hey guys Haripriya, Brooke, and Meghan need help.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
21:14 Jan 01, 2021

IMMA MARSHMALLOW THREEEEEE

Reply

. .
15:35 Jan 02, 2021

Guys Laila (used to be haripriya) needs some help. Spread the word!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
. .
16:02 Jan 02, 2021

Hey guys Haripriya, Brooke, and Meghan need help.

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
16:03 Jan 02, 2021

YAYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 5 replies
Kate Reynolds
23:51 Dec 29, 2020

AHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS WAS SO GOODD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR INCLUDING MEEEEEEEEEEEEE It was SUCH a fun story, and I reallyyyyyyyyyyy like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta say, this is one of my favorite stories from so so far (but that may be a little biased...)

Reply

. .
00:01 Dec 30, 2020

Lol yeah I loved writing this one. It was a pleasure including youuuuuuuuu

Reply

Kate Reynolds
01:39 Dec 30, 2020

Thankssssss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
21:02 Dec 30, 2020

I loved the s'mores part XDDD (S'mores are sure are delicious though-)

Reply

. .
21:24 Dec 30, 2020

Lol I love smores

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:29 Dec 30, 2020

Who doesn't though-

Reply

. .
22:34 Dec 30, 2020

Lol that's why I made you that way in the story XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
22:21 Dec 31, 2020

where do you most wanna go?

Reply

. .
17:30 Jan 03, 2021

England

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

:D I LAUGED AT THIS I WILLL READ ALL OF THOOSE BOOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
22:13 Dec 29, 2020

OMG PLS DOOOOOOOOO

Reply

YASS have u seen jen? where is she i miss her...

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:30 Dec 29, 2020

power is backkkkkkkkkk! yay

Reply

. .
22:32 Dec 29, 2020

Yasssssss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
22:21 Dec 31, 2020

where do you most wanna go?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Luke, one more thing...can you also upvote B.W.?

Reply

agreed she got downvoted a bunch on her latest story, next gen p 1. those downvoters, man! D:<

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:55 Dec 29, 2020

this is just fantastic :D

Reply

. .
21:00 Dec 29, 2020

:D thx

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Loved this story Luke! :)

Reply

. .
17:30 Jan 03, 2021

Thanks!!!

Reply

Your welcome. =)

Reply

. .
17:37 Jan 03, 2021

:D CAN I STILL CALL YOU HARIPRIYA?????

Reply

. .
17:38 Jan 03, 2021

YES!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
17:12 Dec 30, 2020

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA omg this perfectly describes all of us 😁😁😁 i absolutely love it lukeee Ahahah I cant stop laughing And btw I’ve read allllll of those books 🤪

Reply

. .
17:17 Dec 30, 2020

OMG THANKS IT WAS SO FUN!!!! YOUVE READ ATLAS SHRUGGED?????????? FAVE CHARACTER??

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:36 Dec 30, 2020

OF COURSE!!! and obvi Dagny is my fav She kicks butt 😋

Reply

. .
17:44 Dec 30, 2020

HANK

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
17:44 Dec 30, 2020

HANK

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:48 Jan 01, 2021

Ahhhh yaaasss And also alert Got Downvoted at least 100 points :(

Reply

. .
17:09 Jan 01, 2021

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
17:09 Jan 01, 2021

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reply

Show 3 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
22:21 Dec 31, 2020

where do you most wanna go?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
04:34 Jan 01, 2021

Like...as in place in the world??? :)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
15:21 Jan 01, 2021

yah... or fantastical... (it's for my story)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:05 Jan 01, 2021

Yay!! 😁 Ok real place: Iceland (Reykjavik) Fantastical place: Into the Throne of Glass world!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
16:41 Jan 01, 2021

yay alright!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
16:05 Jan 01, 2021

Yay!! 😁 Ok real place: Iceland (Reykjavik) Fantastical place: Into the Throne of Glass world!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:14 Jan 01, 2021

I WANT TO GO TO...UH...HAWAII, THEN LOTHLORIEN OR MINAS TIRATH.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Can I be a marshmallow? I upvote sometimes, but can upvote more if you need me to.

Reply

. .
14:59 Dec 31, 2020

Ofc!!!! You should put IMMA MARSHMALLOW at the top of your bio!!!

Reply

Ok! I'll add that in now! Just maybe not in all caps, because caps LOL

Reply

Did that make any sense?

Reply

. .
15:05 Dec 31, 2020

Yeah!!! I'd love it if you read some of my other stories, because this isn't the best. I'll read all of yours.

Reply

Ok! Thank you! (Updated Bio Now comes with no-downvoting note and new Marshmallow notice).

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
02:26 Dec 31, 2020

LUKE URGENT MARSHMALLOW POLICE: You know Angelina Tran (mamamoo fan...)? She has been receiving SO MUCH FRIGGIN SPAM Those spammers are likely the downvoters too, and B.W. has confirmed as well as Leo Greer. Can we upvote Angelina pls? You probably won't see this till tommorow, but Angelina sadly can't even write stories anymore because of the spam, hate, and downvoting she's getting!

Reply

. .
13:07 Dec 31, 2020

I KNOW IVE BEEN UPVOTING HER FOR LITERALLY MONTHS AND DOWNVOTING THE COMMENTS OF ALL OF THE SPAMMERSSSSD SHES A GREAT AUTHORRRRRR

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:19 Dec 30, 2020

Hey

Reply

. .
12:32 Dec 30, 2020

Hey

Reply

B. W.
18:00 Dec 30, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

. .
18:05 Dec 30, 2020

great!!

Reply

B. W.
18:08 Dec 30, 2020

ya remember the novel i told you about?

Reply

. .
18:15 Dec 30, 2020

Yeah!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
09:54 Dec 30, 2020

this is amazing :) i liked it:) treat us more :)

Reply

. .
12:32 Dec 30, 2020

Aw thanks :D

Reply

Wirda Bibi
13:21 Dec 30, 2020

anytime :P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deleted Account
22:39 Jan 04, 2021

iMmA mArShMaLlOw!!

Reply

. .
23:03 Jan 04, 2021

EEEEEEEE :D

Reply

Deleted Account
23:17 Jan 04, 2021

*Fangirl scream*

Reply

. .
23:20 Jan 04, 2021

:D XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Luke, need help! (with the points!!)

Reply

. .
15:34 Jan 02, 2021

OK!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
15:40 Jan 02, 2021

Do you mean you got downvoted??

Reply

. .
16:19 Jan 02, 2021

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I ALERTED THE MALLOWS

Reply

Wow, thanks!! :)

Reply

. .
17:37 Jan 02, 2021

NO PROB

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
ALINA Manha
02:42 Jan 01, 2021

Hi! Luke 👋 I just L.O.V.E the story . It reminded me of how me and my friends used to argue about books and which one we think is the best before the virus hit . I just think the idea of you guys roasting marshmallows is really amazing. And may I know how I can enter your marshmallow group. I really want to join you guys upvoting people as I was also hit by the downvoters and know how bad it really feels. I am happy to help you upvote people. 😁

Reply

. .
15:32 Jan 01, 2021

Lol yeah I am VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT ARGUING OVER BOOKSSSSSS Thank you so much!!!! You can enter by putting IMMA MARSHMALLOW in your bio. Happy to have you!!

Reply

ALINA Manha
17:41 Jan 01, 2021

Ikr!😂 You're welcome!!! Okay , I will . Thanks! 😃

Reply

. .
17:57 Jan 01, 2021

Np!!!!!

Reply

ALINA Manha
18:19 Jan 01, 2021

:-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
18:53 Dec 31, 2020

Can I be a part of the Marshmallow Police to help upvote people who get downvoted? :)

Reply

. .
19:31 Dec 31, 2020

Of course!! Comment that on the official Mallow thread above.

Reply

Maya -
19:44 Dec 31, 2020

Yay!!! I put it in my bio. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
17:17 Dec 31, 2020

Hi Luke! I was wondering if I could join the Marshmallows, too? It sounds like a great idea to help other writers who are being downvoted.

Reply

. .
17:20 Dec 31, 2020

OFC!!!!!!! I'm kinda tired of telling everyone else (Mira, Nainika, Varsha, Jade, Celeste, Kate, Jennie) that new members joined, so you can look in my bio for who's in it and tell everyone that you joined. I'm happy that you want to!!!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
17:21 Dec 31, 2020

Sure, thanks! I'll put in 'IMMA MARSHMALLOW' in my bio when I change it for New Year in an hour or so.

Reply

. .
17:22 Dec 31, 2020

Yay!!!! That's great!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
22:22 Dec 31, 2020

where do you most wanna go? i'm putting you in my story so you better answer lol

Reply

Akshaya ✨
04:16 Jan 01, 2021

North Pole!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Amaya .
22:56 Dec 30, 2020

i know EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN BY NON-CHRISTIAN XMAS LMAOO

Reply

. .
22:56 Dec 30, 2020

Lolllllll I knowwwww

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Izzie Chan
21:31 Dec 30, 2020

Hey Luke! This was really fun to read! It’s so nice of you to include other reedsy authors in your story! Also, I’ve read like only one of those books but I will definitely check out the others, lmao

Reply

. .
22:33 Dec 30, 2020

Awwwww thanks PLS DO THEY'RE ALL AMAZING

Reply

Izzie Chan
00:34 Dec 31, 2020

haha no problem I WILLLL

Reply

. .
00:35 Dec 31, 2020

YAYYYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.