723 comments

Fantasy Mystery

That day, my friend was sucked into the ground. I didn’t know when I would go in. The scientists and police officers came to the site.

They took samples of the ground to check what had caused it. I knew the reason but they didn’t know the seriousness of the issue that was going to happen. I was sad as well as happy.

The ground was barren. No trees and no water. It had been years since it had rained. The pale looking scientist with his glasses slowly rubbed on the floor and said, “This is not normal.” The commissioner looked at the large hole through which my friend disappeared.

“Yeah,” he said with concern.

It was all because of a man who had brown hair and curly black hair. He was an ox of a man. He worked so hard to save the trees.

*****

Meanwhile, the weather commission was called for. There wasn’t any weather change anyways.

They scanned the underground with their underground scanners. But, what they saw was unbelievable. A man, raging with fire, was sitting on a throne made up of twigs. I wondered how the twigs were not burned, because he was covered in fire.

“What is this, commissioner?” the scientist asked.

“I wanted to ask you that,” the commissioner replied, rubbing his head in confusion.

“Let’s go and check out,” another blond police officer whispered to the commissioner.

The miners were called and in minutes a large hole was dug. The police officers put on their headlights and went in. They had never been to a place like that.

Then too it was unlikely that anyone would go underground. The next second I was sucked in. I thought I was destined to see those events. I didn’t know who was going to come next.

*****

The man spent all the time talking with me about the effects of deforestation and asked all humans to stop cutting trees. But, nobody listened to him. Now, they are going to suffer under him.

*****

I was happy to see all my friends standing in a row. However, the fact I was stuck in the mud dimmed any joy I felt initially at the sight of my friends. The police slowly glided through the mud and followed the compass. Finally, they saw him, face to face. Most of the police officers ran away and some trembled with fear.

“Why did you come here?” He shouted.

“Who are you? And why are you causing trouble in our world?”the commissioner shouted. The fire headed man threw a fireball at the commissioner, which he dodged.

“I am the only one who can shout here. So, if you raise your voice, I will make you like a roasted chicken,” he said, standing up from his seat.

“Okay, sir.” Even the commissioner was afraid of him.

The fire headed man, named Flak, was a guy from Dragon planet.

*****

The man was unbreakable. He wanted to save my race. We were close to extinction. He planted trees everywhere. But, every time he planted, they cut it.

Now, he is dead, only for our sake.

*****

Dragon planet was already in pieces and thank god that this guy was here. We trees didn’t want to fight with humans, but, Flak was the one who said that all trees will come underground and be underground.

“How many trees did you plant yesterday?” Flak asked. The commissioner didn’t answer.

“Answer,” Flak hollered.

“Zero,” the commissioner replied, hanging his head down.

“How many did you cut yesterday?”

“Five.”

“Okay, I will do the same thing with you. I will kill five humans daily. Is that okay for you?”

“No,” the commissioner said and took out his gun.

“Sir, your weapons don‘t do anything to me.”

“I’m not going to hurt you, I am gonna shoot the trees,” he said, pointing the gun towards me. I cannot move, I couldn’t talk. So, it was up to Flak.

“No, stop. Don’t do that,” Flak said. I bet that he was not afraid.

“Then listen to me. Pack up all your trees and come to the above world,” the commissioner said.

Then, Flak started laughing. “Then you will use them for your sake.”

*****

The man never wished anything for himself. His only wish was that our race should not get extinct. I really loved him. Though I couldn’t talk, he was my best friend. I gave him shade and he gave me water and food. I was stupefied when I knew he was killed.

*****

“What’s the matter about that? They are born for our use,” the commissioner said which angered Flak very much. What he did was really wonderful.

He gave life to every tree over there and I was able to talk.

“How could you use us?” a tree asked.

“We are already on the verge of extinction,” another tree said.

I didn’t know what to say. So, I remained quiet. Then I realised. I could move. I moved towards the commissioner, who still had the gun in his hands and whispered, “Flak has completely no mercy. Go up and start planting your trees.”

“Will you guys come up?” he whispered to me.

“We work under his orders,” I replied.

But, this time Flak heard it.

“Hey, Greens. Come here,” he said. I moved my roots in the direction he was standing.

“Yes, master,” I said.

“I think from now on, you should lead this pack,” Flak said. I was rejoiced. He never lies.

“But, why? We love you so much,” I said.

“The dragon warrior has called me. He is expecting something big to come,” Flak said.

The dragon warrior, he is another guy from dragon planet. He has a key chain which can change into anything. I thought he was forming a team. After some time, everybody grew quiet.

*****

The man was shot dead right in front of me. They were rogues. But, I was sure that they were sent by someone. And all these things are happening for him. My friend never wanted didn’t revenge.a

*****

The commissioner immediately called the media. He gave a talk to them.

“From today onwards, everyone should plant a tree every day,” the commissioner said in between the camera flashes.

“But, why, sir?” a guy asked.

“We have cut trees and they are on the verge of extinction. We are having no rainy season because we don’t have trees. Global warming is also increasing,” the commissioner said and got into his car. He waved me a goodbye and I waved too, and the press couldn’t believe what they saw. So, I acted in front of them. Then I was sucked underground again.

It was the first death anniversary of my friend and the hardworking man.

So, they chose that day for my coronation. The crown was made of twigs. It was the best honour I could get.

*****

Now, if he was present, he would have been the happiest man in the world and hugged me tightly. Oh, how I loved his company! But, this was my time to save the trees and make up for his sacrifice. Flak was the man’s friend and he offered to help.

*****

I prayed that my head wouldn’t catch fire and it didn’t. Flak gave me a slight smile and that was the first time I have seen him smile. Suddenly, he fainted and some other guys with police uniforms came.

I couldn’t bear it and wanted to fight them.

“Uh uh,” the police officer said, taunting me. He was a handsome guy. But, it didn’t matter.

They caged Flak and lifted him. They approached their car and threw the cage on the front seat. I wanted to see him smile again. We were standing helpless.

They had arrested him for completely no reason.









September 19, 2020 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

723 comments

Izzie Q.
15:14 Feb 23, 2021

hi Sahitthian!! ahhh it's been so long since we chatted! this story is AMAZINGGGGG you are so talented and this community is so lucky to have you be a part of it!! we should talk more! Hows life been? are you doing in person school or digital?

Reply

The Cold Ice
17:43 Feb 23, 2021

Oh thanks. Yes. Nice. It digital. How’s life and how are you.

Reply

Izzie Q.
17:51 Feb 23, 2021

hi!! I'm good! schools been digital for now but I'm going back in person soon! On april 8th I think! life just got better hehe somone left some hyacinths at my door and they smell really good! Do you have a fav flower or plant?

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:09 Feb 24, 2021

Hi.oh nice lol. My favourite flower rose and my favourite plant mango plant.

Reply

Izzie Q.
03:13 Feb 24, 2021

Ooooh! Mango plants are the BEST! My family is really big on plants and we literally have 5 million succulents everywhere haha anyway, i'm probably gonna go to bed now, but it was nice chatting with you! I'll talk to you tomorrow!!

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:52 Feb 24, 2021

Ok I will talk tomorrow.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
19:49 Feb 20, 2021

Hi, Sahitthian!! We haven't talked in a while. How are you? How's school going?

Reply

The Cold Ice
17:19 Feb 21, 2021

Hi I am fine. How are you. Yes. I am not in real school only online class.

Reply

Laiba M
18:00 Feb 21, 2021

That's good to hear~ I'm good! Yeah, same here T-T Did it snow where you live recently?

Reply

The Cold Ice
18:46 Feb 21, 2021

No it will not snow for us .ok. But it was very cold. 🥶

Reply

Laiba M
19:01 Feb 21, 2021

Oh, okay! For us, it snowed and hailed, and now the snow is really icy and slippery. It's okay if you don't answer this question, but just to get an idea of your weather, do you live in America?

Reply

The Cold Ice
02:40 Feb 22, 2021

Nope I live in India

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
11:56 Jan 30, 2021

Hi Sahitthian! I really liked reading this story! Especially how you added the italics in between. The dialogue was well written and the ending was great! I also liked how you incorporated imagination and creativity in your story! Awesome job! Can't wait to read more of your stories!

Reply

The Cold Ice
13:34 Jan 31, 2021

Oh thank you so much fo this encouraging comment. Oh I will not write story anymore. If you have all poetry read my story.“the dragon and the temple.

Reply

Akshaya ✨
06:07 Feb 03, 2021

No problem! Oh, is there any reason why you won't? Yes, I do have Allpoetry! I'll check it out! What's your profile name there?

Reply

The Cold Ice
06:33 Feb 03, 2021

Ok. My profile name Sahitthian. I want to write the dragon warrior part three but the prompt should come correctly for my story.

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:42 Feb 03, 2021

Sure! I would definitely read if you write it!

Reply

The Cold Ice
08:54 Feb 03, 2021

Ok thanks for the support.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lucas Zhou
11:29 Jan 25, 2021

hi sahitthian PLZ WRITE MORE STORIES!!!!!! their so good

Reply

The Cold Ice
17:46 Jan 25, 2021

Oh I trying to write are you on Ap right I written a new story called dragon and the temple.

Reply

Lucas Zhou
05:00 Jan 28, 2021

cool i'll check it out

Reply

The Cold Ice
02:49 Jan 29, 2021

Thank you. Hi

Reply

Lucas Zhou
10:38 Feb 01, 2021

hi

Reply

The Cold Ice
15:53 Feb 01, 2021

How are you

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
04:42 Jan 24, 2021

Hiii, how are you? Great story, I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen, and lol for some reason it reminded me of the lorax

Reply

The Cold Ice
04:57 Jan 24, 2021

Ok thanks .hi I am great. I am glad you reminded Lorax.thank you for reading. We Can became became friends

Reply

Danny -
05:06 Jan 24, 2021

Of course :)) what do you think of the new prompts?

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:18 Jan 24, 2021

Oh I don’t see it because I will not write anymore

Reply

Danny -
05:19 Jan 24, 2021

Oh why not?

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:20 Jan 24, 2021

Exams coming

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:29 Dec 04, 2020

Hi, Sahitthian! I just up-voted all of your stories. I'm not sure how many points were added, though.

Reply

The Cold Ice
15:59 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you

Reply

17:05 Dec 04, 2020

You're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
15:59 Dec 04, 2020

Umm we Can became friends

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jen Park
10:01 Nov 27, 2020

Nice story. This is a sequel to another story, right? I see Dragon Warrior mentioned and I saw story titled Dragon Warrior. (It's only a guess) Well, idea that the main character was tree was mindblowing. It was hinted at the intro and shown more clearly throughout the story. I want to reveal things slowly too but I don't have that skill yet. You were so good at it😊 A nice fantasy with message in it. I enjoyed the read very much. Love the title. P. S. Keep writing!

Reply

The Cold Ice
15:42 Nov 27, 2020

Thanks.(like my story

Reply

Jen Park
15:45 Nov 27, 2020

Oops sorry I forgot. I liked just now😂

Reply

The Cold Ice
16:10 Nov 27, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:59 Nov 21, 2020

Ok I’m Anna wassup u already know me lo

Reply

The Cold Ice
17:01 Nov 21, 2020

Yes lol hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
04:45 Nov 23, 2020

Wyd

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
17:36 Nov 21, 2020

Gtg bye

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Vajeda Kardar
22:26 Nov 11, 2020

Amazing...very well narrated and intelligently moulded. Keep it up.

Reply

The Cold Ice
02:31 Nov 12, 2020

Thanks(would you mind liking my story)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shae Greyfeather
12:28 Nov 11, 2020

Awww www...... I thought he left though. And why would they arrest him? Nice story anyways.

Reply

The Cold Ice
17:26 Nov 11, 2020

Thanka

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tanishka Mali
12:04 Oct 13, 2020

Hey, thanks for leaving a note, I loved your story ;)

Reply

The Cold Ice
13:14 Oct 13, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
04:51 Oct 13, 2020

Hey pls read my new story

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:30 Oct 13, 2020

I will read it.Iam in school I will read it afterwards.

Reply

Hriday Saboo
07:32 Oct 13, 2020

No problem

Reply

The Cold Ice
07:53 Oct 13, 2020

Now I will read your story

Reply

Hriday Saboo
07:59 Oct 13, 2020

Thanks

Reply

The Cold Ice
08:00 Oct 13, 2020

I am reading your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
07:59 Oct 13, 2020

Thanks

Reply

The Cold Ice
08:00 Oct 13, 2020

I am reading your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
08:49 Oct 13, 2020

I had read your story and left a comment.Very good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
08:42 Oct 06, 2020

Hi Sahitthian, I loved your title! It was quite unique, and certainly suited the prompt! As for the last line, it certainly was catchy, but next time, try to write it with emotions, one-word shocking phrases or words with deep-hidden meanings. Since you have progressed exuberantly, I recommend trying to get other words from "said" and "asked". Use more descriptions, and try to get a wider vocabulary! Other than that, your plot was a lovely one and the title was quite a unique take!

Reply

The Cold Ice
08:46 Oct 06, 2020

Thanks.I am glad you liked the tittle. I will work on it. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
08:56 Oct 06, 2020

No problem :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
09:08 Oct 06, 2020

Ok.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:57 Sep 26, 2020

Great story!! I really liked the flashbacks and the names, they were super unique.

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:06 Sep 27, 2020

Thanks.I am glad you liked the flashbacks and the names.Thank you for reading.

Reply

15:15 Sep 27, 2020

No problem!!

Reply

The Cold Ice
16:30 Sep 27, 2020

Ok.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:27 Nov 27, 2020

Hi! I just posted a new story and was wondering if you could check it out and leave some feedback (If you have time and want to of course). If not it is totally okay! :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
02:48 Nov 28, 2020

Yes but later

Reply

03:51 Nov 28, 2020

Okay! Thank you so much :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
07:02 Nov 28, 2020

Welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
07:02 Nov 28, 2020

Umm we can became friends

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Tessa Takzikab
13:57 Sep 23, 2020

I love the title! (Edit: I read through some of the comments and saw that you got it from Charles Stucker, so I just wanted to add that taking good advice is a skill not everyone has.) I can see how much your writing improves from story to story, so amazing job. It is a bit confusing how you have the flashbacks, at first I thought that it was a different point of view, but by the end, it's clear. Also, I love how the narrator turns out to be a tree. This reminds me a bit of The Lorax in that sense, which is really cool! Keep writ...

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:09 Sep 24, 2020

Hey Tessa I am glad you loved the title. Thank you. Okay. I am glad you were clear about it. I am glad you loved that the narrator was a tree. Lorax is cool. Glad you got Lorax in your mind after reading my story. Keep writing and thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Javith Hussain
05:46 Sep 19, 2020

Very good story

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:47 Sep 19, 2020

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
13:03 Apr 29, 2021

Very admirable story you have grest potential in writing

Reply

The Cold Ice
13:16 Apr 29, 2021

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danny -
13:13 Mar 04, 2021

Heya, new thread? :))

Reply

The Cold Ice
15:31 Mar 04, 2021

Hi oh nice how are you

Reply

Danny -
06:20 Mar 05, 2021

I'm great :)) how are you? :b

Reply

The Cold Ice
07:05 Mar 05, 2021

I am great wyd

Reply

Danny -
07:53 Mar 05, 2021

Ohh nothing, just assignments, hbu?

Reply

The Cold Ice
07:55 Mar 05, 2021

Just lying on the bed.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
03:12 Feb 24, 2021

New thread :))

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:52 Feb 24, 2021

Thank you how are you

Reply

Danny -
04:02 Feb 24, 2021

I'm great, you??

Reply

The Cold Ice
06:48 Feb 24, 2021

I am fine.wyd.

Reply

Danny -
07:21 Feb 24, 2021

Nothing, you??

Reply

The Cold Ice
13:27 Feb 24, 2021

Studying.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:10 Dec 16, 2020

Happy birthday :D

Reply

The Cold Ice
02:34 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you :D

Reply

B. W.
02:47 Dec 17, 2020

no prob, i hope you have a good birthday today ^^

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:36 Dec 17, 2020

Today is a birthday a

Reply

B. W.
03:43 Dec 17, 2020

what?

Reply

The Cold Ice
04:32 Dec 17, 2020

Today is your birthday I ask

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.