132 comments

Fiction Inspirational Happy

“Have you ever walked into a room and found a vampire? Not the sexy kind, but a foul creature that has bony limbs and ashen skin? The kind that snarls as you enter, like a beast about the pounce? The kind that roots you to the spot with it’s sunken, hypnotic eyes, rendering you unable to flee as you watch the hideous thing uncoil from the shadows? Has your heart started to race although your legs refuse to? Have you felt time slow as the creature crosses the room in the darkness of a blink? 

Have you shuddered with fear when it places one clawed hand atop your head and another under your chin so it can tilt you, exposing your neck? Have you squirmed as your head is licked by a rough, dry tongue that slides down your cheek, over your jaw, to your throat, in a slithering search that’s seeking your artery? Have you felt its hot breath release in a hiss against your skin when it probes your pulse-the flow that leads to your brain? Has its tongue rested there, probing slightly as if savoring the moment? Have you then experienced a sinking, sucking feeling as you discover that not all vampires feed on blood, some feed on memories? Well, have you?"

I looked around at the rest of my slack-jawed, open-mouthed, fourth-hour senior English class, all of whom were staring at our teacher, the forty-something Mr. Jasper Russell. He looked over the sea of heads, all of which were awake and checked-in, which for some, was the very first time in any class, on the first day of school.

"Well, maybe not. But let me rephrase the question. Have you ever walked into a room and suddenly forgotten why you came in?" Whispers of 'shit' and 'damn it' rose from my classmates, and Mr. Russell looked satisfied.

"HA!" he shouted suddenly, and a kid at the front of the class actually fell out of his chair. "Alright, seniors. Welcome to AP English Comparative and Literature," he said, “Let’s go through the tedious task of roll call and introduce ourselves. I’ll go first. My name is Jasper Russell, I’m the English teacher here at Myworth High, and I’m a part-time horror writer.” He mock bowed as the guys at the back wolf-whistled. 

“Ok, first name. Rufus Aber.” One of the guys at the back stood up. 

“Hey, guys. I’m Rufus, and I...uh play basketball and like DC movies.” 

Boo DC. Marvel is way better. How dare you watch that filth.

“Marena Carabas.” She stood up. 

“First of all, booo Rufus for watching DC trash and not Marvel,” The entire class booed him and he laughed, “Secondly, I’m Marena, I’m on the bowling team, and I like to sew,” 

How cool. I like to sew too. I wonder if-Nah, she’d never want to come over and hang out with me. Don’t be ridiculous. 

“David Gard.” 

“Hey, I’m David, I like to eat Subway, and play chess.” 

Ooh, I love Subway. And Chess? Don’t get me started on that! My father loves teaching me how to play.

Finally after about twenty names, “Adison Steele.” I slowly got up. 

I’m Adison, I love watercolor painting and dot-art, and I have three cats, all named after the Three Musketeers, Athos, Aramis, and Porthos. 

“I-I-I’m Adison, and I have three cats,” I mumbled quickly before sitting down just as fast. I heard a few snickers from the back, but I ignored them. Mr. Russell looked at me quizzically, and opened his mouth to say something, but thought better of it and continued to the next student. 

The bell rang an hour and a half later, and everybody jumped, not wanting this eccentric class to ever stop. We had spent the entire time going over the syllabus, which ordinarily would be super boring, but Mr. Russell made it very entertaining. Everyone reluctantly grabbed our bags and headed out the door. 

"Ms. Steele, would you mind staying back for a minute?" Mr. Russell called out, as I passed his desk, my head down.

Yes, of course. I wouldn't mind whatsoever. Thanks for paying attention to me.

"Sure," I mumbled. My problem wasn't that I didn't like to speak. It was that I was always thinking of things to say to people but never ended up saying any of them. I couldn’t explain it. It was just something natural to me. 

Mr. Russell pulled out a manila folder and opened it, taking out a piece of paper and sliding it over to me. I didn't have to read it to know what it was. My report card from last year's English class.

"You caught my eye, Adison, while I was flipping through my students’ previous report cards to glean an understanding of their work ethic."

Oh, dear. Yes, I am different from most students, but if you'll just give me a chance, you'll see that I can do anything I set my mind to.

"Sir?"

"No, no. I'm not saying you're a bad student, but perhaps you could explain why your grades are exceptional, but your speaking grade is way below average?" he crossed his arms and looked at me expectantly.

You don't understand, Mr. Russell. It's not a big problem, it’s just I think too much and I don't end up wanting to say what's on my mind. I promise I'll work on it this year.

"I don't like talking. Much." I said, wincing internally. Mr. Russell's eyebrows raised, but then he looked back at my report card. He sighed, and looked at his watch, then back at me.

Oh no. He hates me. I should leave. Why did I even bother thinking he wanted to pay attention to me.

"I'm sorry," I said, hunching my shoulders inward. Mr. Russell looked at me, surprised.

"Whatever for?"

For being like...this. For hating to talk. For not being the best student out there.

"For not talking," I said, peeking up at him. He laughed, and I shuffled back a step, surprised.

"If I was going to get mad at every single student of mine that didn't want to talk, I'd have to quit teaching." I smiled hesitantly.

But I'm not like everybody. I don't think I compare with everybody. I'm just...different.

"And you're...not? Mad?" I said, scrunching my eyebrows in confusion. He smiled. 

“I was a real quiet kid in High School, but I got over it, and you want to know why?” 

Of course, I do. I need help.

“Yes.” He put his hands on my shoulders. 

“Because I found out that actions speak louder than words, and my actions helped me find my voice.” The voices in my head went silent. 

“R-really?” I asked, my voice cracking. 

“Really.” I smiled up at him, “Now go to your next class before I get yelled at.” 

Thank you so much, Mr. Russell. You’re amazing.

“Thank you,” I said, before walking out of class. 

The hallway, as usual, was a seething mass of people congregating after classes, or between lunch breaks. I struggled to make my way through the mass, heading to the cafeteria for my break. Suddenly, a guy crashed into the locker in front of me, books spilling out of his bag. He looked at the floor and at the wayward person who had crashed into him, before kneeling and starting to pick up his things. 

Are you ok? Did he hurt you? I can’t believe he didn’t even say sorry. Here, let me help you with that. 

I knelt to the ground next to him and quietly helped him with his books. He shot me a grateful smile once we’d finished. 

“Thank you.” 

No problem. Have a great day.

I smiled at him, before standing up and walking to the cafeteria. My feet felt light. My heart felt happy. It felt great to not have to speak, and instead, let my actions speak for me. 

I walked into the cafeteria and grabbed a lunch tray. Today’s options were Sloppy Joe, greasy pizza, salads, or pasta. I chose the greasy pizza. Seemed the safest option. I was finishing up buying my lunch when I turned and bumped into a guy walking the other way. I fell backward, my lunch flying into him, his lunch flying into me. I sat up, lettuce and tomatoes all over me, and looked at the destruction around me. The guy groaned, sitting up, my slice of pizza sliding down his face. I couldn’t help it. I started giggling. 

“Are...you laughing at me?” He asked incredulously.

Duh, that was hilarious. Jesus, you look stupid. And so do I. 

I snorted and laughed some more. He scowled at me, but then started smiling too. I got up, and wiped lettuce off me, reaching out a hand to help him to his feet.

“Thank you so much...uh I didn’t catch your name.”

My nam-SHUT UP

“I’m A-Adison Steele.” 

“Well, Adison Steele, It’s nice to meet you. I’m Ben Howard. Uh, see you around?” He looked at me questioningly. 

“Yeah, that’d be nice.” He smiled and walked away. I couldn’t believe it. I was able to...speak without needing the voices in my head! I whooped, and people sitting next to me looked at me strangely, but I didn’t care. See, one of the risks of being quiet is that other people fill your silence with their interpretation: you’re bored. You’re depressed. You’re shy. You’re stuck-up. You’re judgemental. When others can’t read you, it terrifies them, so they write your story for you, choosing to ignore who we truly are in favor of who they think we are. 

Breaking free of that? The best damn thing I ever did. 

January 13, 2021 14:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

132 comments

. .
14:40 Jan 13, 2021

This was great!!! I think, in addition to thoughts, reveal her emotions that she doesn't show. I LOVED THIS SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:43 Jan 13, 2021

m'kay!! thanks so muchhhhhh did you like that story that Mr. Russell was telling the class?? WERE YOU LIKE OMFG THAT DOESSSS HAPPEN???

Reply

. .
14:43 Jan 13, 2021

YASSSSSSS I DIDDDDDDDD

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:44 Jan 13, 2021

yessssssss :D

Reply

. .
14:46 Jan 13, 2021

:DDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Katie May
18:26 Jan 13, 2021

Amethyst keeps getting downvoted?!!! ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Can I do something to help? D:

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:37 Jan 13, 2021

yeah ofc!!! She spammed her story to help...get help :D

Reply

Katie May
19:17 Jan 13, 2021

Okay good! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corbin Sage
21:59 Jan 15, 2021

Wow! I saw the post online that you used for the beginning, and it was cool that you used that. Aren't you supposed to credit though?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
22:48 Jan 15, 2021

wait....there was a post online??? *nervous sweating* I'll find it and def give credit - thanks so much for letting me know!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Nainika!!! Wow, this was such a fun story to read. Loved how you added what thoughts she had and what in reality she said. Love the teacher part too!!! Overall AMAZING!!! And the new title is super creative:)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:50 Jan 18, 2021

aww thanks so much varsha!!

Reply

Of course!!! I'll add u in my friends list in my bio!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:05 Jan 18, 2021

Awww me too !!!

Reply

Aww, thanks Nainika!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
22:09 Jan 18, 2021

of course!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
02:19 Jan 15, 2021

The best damn story ever read. Awesome x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000. I loved the lot so much. Her silence told us all. I loved the teacher. I loved the boys she bumped into. Lol. I love the writer as usual. Keep writing.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
12:44 Jan 15, 2021

Thank you soooo much AWWWWWWWWW I'm crying thank youuuuuuu!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
18:25 Jan 14, 2021

Hey, I too have written a story on the same prompt. Mind to check out.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:33 Jan 14, 2021

Sure. But, what did you think of this story??

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:07 Jan 15, 2021

Actually yesterday I was reading Miras TDR. One after one. I have done half. So could not read yours. I stumbled your, luke, and Miras chat by accident. And felt that she was sad and needed a lot of support and love. Hence read half of her series. Really series exhaust me. You know right I don't like series here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
18:09 Jan 14, 2021

Nainika... I'm writing a new story... GUESS WHAT THE FIRST LINE IS??? Atlas was my only friend.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:20 Jan 14, 2021

OOOOOOH (is that the one I get a shoutout in??? :D:D:D)

Reply

. .
18:20 Jan 14, 2021

I wonder.... which story could this be a continuation of.......

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:21 Jan 14, 2021

HMMMMMMMM WHAT COULD IT BEEEE????

Reply

. .
18:23 Jan 14, 2021

ITS SO OBVIOUS

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:32 Jan 14, 2021

AHHHH I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! GoL part 5 is coming out soon! like prolly right after we play Skribble!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
16:17 Jan 14, 2021

Full form of tdr??

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:34 Jan 14, 2021

??? The Dragon Races - Mira Caplan's series

Reply

Radhika Diksha
16:55 Jan 14, 2021

Ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
17:16 Jan 14, 2021

Ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Katie May
13:35 Jan 14, 2021

Yuss queen! This is AMAZING! THIS IS THE BEST I HAVE NO WORDS! IMAOJOWGJNO

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:36 Jan 14, 2021

AWWW THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHH :D:D:D:D

Reply

Katie May
13:58 Jan 14, 2021

:DDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Frances Reine
13:24 Jan 14, 2021

This is literally the most relatable thing for me. This is literally the most relatable thing I've ever read haha. I loved this one, as usual.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:26 Jan 14, 2021

awww, thank you so much!!!

Reply

Frances Reine
13:27 Jan 14, 2021

No problem at all :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:02 Jan 14, 2021

This is so absolutely true! I loved every second of it, especially the beginning. You really caught me quickly on this story.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:13 Jan 14, 2021

aww, thank you so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
17:09 Jan 13, 2021

Wow, this story is great! I loved the beginning it pulled me right in. It was very freaky I was like is the person gonna get eaten? Apparently not so that was a relief. But such a great story fun good just great.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:23 Jan 13, 2021

aww, thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
16:51 Jan 13, 2021

Amethyst KEEPS GETTING DOWNVOTED. Like the more we upvote her, the more she gets downvoted. UGHHH THIS IS BECOMING WAYY TO COMMON. Me and Luke ran out of comments to upvote :((( do you mind upvoting her?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:53 Jan 13, 2021

of course not!! and UGGGGHHH I'll kick their rocky road, and punch the ever loving strawberry cheesecake outta them cursing in ice cream flavors makes me feel better :D

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:54 Jan 13, 2021

oooh nice idea!! THANK YOU!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:56 Jan 13, 2021

ahaha sure!!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
17:03 Jan 13, 2021

MISSION HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
15:48 Jan 13, 2021

Hey Nainika, do you want to play Skribble (the online pictionary game) with me and Isaac and Luke and maybe some other people at 2:30? :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:11 Jan 13, 2021

ooooh yeahhh!!!

Reply

Maya -
16:44 Jan 13, 2021

Yay!!!!! I'll send you the link at 2:30. :D

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:52 Jan 13, 2021

cool!! can't wait :D

Reply

Maya -
16:59 Jan 13, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
19:28 Jan 13, 2021

Here's the link: https://skribbl.io/?LsPhKf36XG3E

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
16:42 Jan 13, 2021

Maya!! You're going to be dedicated to a character in Part 5!!! Can't wait :D:D:D

Reply

Maya -
16:45 Jan 13, 2021

OMG I'm so excited!!! Thank you so much!!! Tell me when it's out!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:52 Jan 13, 2021

yesss :D

Reply

Maya -
16:59 Jan 13, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Mira Caplan
15:25 Jan 13, 2021

YES!!! I. LOVE. IT!!! It's super relatable, too. I'm seriously shy, myself (I know, shocker), so it was great to read a story about someone overcoming that.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:30 Jan 13, 2021

Aww thanks!!! And shocker!! :):)):):):):)

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:40 Jan 13, 2021

:p

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:40 Jan 13, 2021

:p

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
12:24 Jan 21, 2021

Loved the whole story but especially the beginning! I want to read the rest of that!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
12:39 Jan 21, 2021

thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jackie Small
08:52 Jan 21, 2021

Nice little story. Thought provoking. Character comes across well., Well-written easy read.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
12:39 Jan 21, 2021

thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harley Quinn
05:10 Jan 19, 2021

wow really good

Reply

Nainika Gupta
12:33 Jan 19, 2021

thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
17:31 Jan 14, 2021

We're playing skribble again at 2:30 and Mira's playing this time. Do you want me to send you the link if you're not too busy? :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:37 Jan 14, 2021

YESSSS PLEASEE

Reply

Maya -
17:38 Jan 14, 2021

Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:56 Jan 14, 2021

:D I have to remember its 1:30 for me :D

Reply

Maya -
18:00 Jan 14, 2021

Oh, I should have specified EST lol :D Sometimes I forget about the timezones.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:19 Jan 14, 2021

loll, you're fine :D:D:D

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:03 Jan 14, 2021

This is...like...super egotistical of me to ask (I asked Luke the same thing) but could you....um...write a whole complimentary paragraph about moi?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:11 Jan 14, 2021

Why would you think that’s egotistical?? Of course I will!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:12 Jan 14, 2021

Because I'm asking for compliments... awwwwwwwwww, thank you!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:13 Jan 14, 2021

🙄soo??? Yes!! And don’t forget to put the mallows founding story in your bio!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:59 Jan 14, 2021

I did!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:59 Jan 14, 2021

I did!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:12 Jan 14, 2021

Because I'm asking for compliments... awwwwwwwwww, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.