132 comments

Fiction Inspirational Happy

“Have you ever walked into a room and found a vampire? Not the sexy kind, but a foul creature that has bony limbs and ashen skin? The kind that snarls as you enter, like a beast about the pounce? The kind that roots you to the spot with it’s sunken, hypnotic eyes, rendering you unable to flee as you watch the hideous thing uncoil from the shadows? Has your heart started to race although your legs refuse to? Have you felt time slow as the creature crosses the room in the darkness of a blink? 

Have you shuddered with fear when it places one clawed hand atop your head and another under your chin so it can tilt you, exposing your neck? Have you squirmed as your head is licked by a rough, dry tongue that slides down your cheek, over your jaw, to your throat, in a slithering search that’s seeking your artery? Have you felt its hot breath release in a hiss against your skin when it probes your pulse-the flow that leads to your brain? Has its tongue rested there, probing slightly as if savoring the moment? Have you then experienced a sinking, sucking feeling as you discover that not all vampires feed on blood, some feed on memories? Well, have you?"

I looked around at the rest of my slack-jawed, open-mouthed, fourth-hour senior English class, all of whom were staring at our teacher, the forty-something Mr. Jasper Russell. He looked over the sea of heads, all of which were awake and checked-in, which for some, was the very first time in any class, on the first day of school.

"Well, maybe not. But let me rephrase the question. Have you ever walked into a room and suddenly forgotten why you came in?" Whispers of 'shit' and 'damn it' rose from my classmates, and Mr. Russell looked satisfied.

"HA!" he shouted suddenly, and a kid at the front of the class actually fell out of his chair. "Alright, seniors. Welcome to AP English Comparative and Literature," he said, “Let’s go through the tedious task of roll call and introduce ourselves. I’ll go first. My name is Jasper Russell, I’m the English teacher here at Myworth High, and I’m a part-time horror writer.” He mock bowed as the guys at the back wolf-whistled. 

“Ok, first name. Rufus Aber.” One of the guys at the back stood up. 

“Hey, guys. I’m Rufus, and I...uh play basketball and like DC movies.” 

Boo DC. Marvel is way better. How dare you watch that filth.

“Marena Carabas.” She stood up. 

“First of all, booo Rufus for watching DC trash and not Marvel,” The entire class booed him and he laughed, “Secondly, I’m Marena, I’m on the bowling team, and I like to sew,” 

How cool. I like to sew too. I wonder if-Nah, she’d never want to come over and hang out with me. Don’t be ridiculous. 

“David Gard.” 

“Hey, I’m David, I like to eat Subway, and play chess.” 

Ooh, I love Subway. And Chess? Don’t get me started on that! My father loves teaching me how to play.

Finally after about twenty names, “Adison Steele.” I slowly got up. 

I’m Adison, I love watercolor painting and dot-art, and I have three cats, all named after the Three Musketeers, Athos, Aramis, and Porthos. 

“I-I-I’m Adison, and I have three cats,” I mumbled quickly before sitting down just as fast. I heard a few snickers from the back, but I ignored them. Mr. Russell looked at me quizzically, and opened his mouth to say something, but thought better of it and continued to the next student. 

The bell rang an hour and a half later, and everybody jumped, not wanting this eccentric class to ever stop. We had spent the entire time going over the syllabus, which ordinarily would be super boring, but Mr. Russell made it very entertaining. Everyone reluctantly grabbed our bags and headed out the door. 

"Ms. Steele, would you mind staying back for a minute?" Mr. Russell called out, as I passed his desk, my head down.

Yes, of course. I wouldn't mind whatsoever. Thanks for paying attention to me.

"Sure," I mumbled. My problem wasn't that I didn't like to speak. It was that I was always thinking of things to say to people but never ended up saying any of them. I couldn’t explain it. It was just something natural to me. 

Mr. Russell pulled out a manila folder and opened it, taking out a piece of paper and sliding it over to me. I didn't have to read it to know what it was. My report card from last year's English class.

"You caught my eye, Adison, while I was flipping through my students’ previous report cards to glean an understanding of their work ethic."

Oh, dear. Yes, I am different from most students, but if you'll just give me a chance, you'll see that I can do anything I set my mind to.

"Sir?"

"No, no. I'm not saying you're a bad student, but perhaps you could explain why your grades are exceptional, but your speaking grade is way below average?" he crossed his arms and looked at me expectantly.

You don't understand, Mr. Russell. It's not a big problem, it’s just I think too much and I don't end up wanting to say what's on my mind. I promise I'll work on it this year.

"I don't like talking. Much." I said, wincing internally. Mr. Russell's eyebrows raised, but then he looked back at my report card. He sighed, and looked at his watch, then back at me.

Oh no. He hates me. I should leave. Why did I even bother thinking he wanted to pay attention to me.

"I'm sorry," I said, hunching my shoulders inward. Mr. Russell looked at me, surprised.

"Whatever for?"

For being like...this. For hating to talk. For not being the best student out there.

"For not talking," I said, peeking up at him. He laughed, and I shuffled back a step, surprised.

"If I was going to get mad at every single student of mine that didn't want to talk, I'd have to quit teaching." I smiled hesitantly.

But I'm not like everybody. I don't think I compare with everybody. I'm just...different.

"And you're...not? Mad?" I said, scrunching my eyebrows in confusion. He smiled. 

“I was a real quiet kid in High School, but I got over it, and you want to know why?” 

Of course, I do. I need help.

“Yes.” He put his hands on my shoulders. 

“Because I found out that actions speak louder than words, and my actions helped me find my voice.” The voices in my head went silent. 

“R-really?” I asked, my voice cracking. 

“Really.” I smiled up at him, “Now go to your next class before I get yelled at.” 

Thank you so much, Mr. Russell. You’re amazing.

“Thank you,” I said, before walking out of class. 

The hallway, as usual, was a seething mass of people congregating after classes, or between lunch breaks. I struggled to make my way through the mass, heading to the cafeteria for my break. Suddenly, a guy crashed into the locker in front of me, books spilling out of his bag. He looked at the floor and at the wayward person who had crashed into him, before kneeling and starting to pick up his things. 

Are you ok? Did he hurt you? I can’t believe he didn’t even say sorry. Here, let me help you with that. 

I knelt to the ground next to him and quietly helped him with his books. He shot me a grateful smile once we’d finished. 

“Thank you.” 

No problem. Have a great day.

I smiled at him, before standing up and walking to the cafeteria. My feet felt light. My heart felt happy. It felt great to not have to speak, and instead, let my actions speak for me. 

I walked into the cafeteria and grabbed a lunch tray. Today’s options were Sloppy Joe, greasy pizza, salads, or pasta. I chose the greasy pizza. Seemed the safest option. I was finishing up buying my lunch when I turned and bumped into a guy walking the other way. I fell backward, my lunch flying into him, his lunch flying into me. I sat up, lettuce and tomatoes all over me, and looked at the destruction around me. The guy groaned, sitting up, my slice of pizza sliding down his face. I couldn’t help it. I started giggling. 

“Are...you laughing at me?” He asked incredulously.

Duh, that was hilarious. Jesus, you look stupid. And so do I. 

I snorted and laughed some more. He scowled at me, but then started smiling too. I got up, and wiped lettuce off me, reaching out a hand to help him to his feet.

“Thank you so much...uh I didn’t catch your name.”

My nam-SHUT UP

“I’m A-Adison Steele.” 

“Well, Adison Steele, It’s nice to meet you. I’m Ben Howard. Uh, see you around?” He looked at me questioningly. 

“Yeah, that’d be nice.” He smiled and walked away. I couldn’t believe it. I was able to...speak without needing the voices in my head! I whooped, and people sitting next to me looked at me strangely, but I didn’t care. See, one of the risks of being quiet is that other people fill your silence with their interpretation: you’re bored. You’re depressed. You’re shy. You’re stuck-up. You’re judgemental. When others can’t read you, it terrifies them, so they write your story for you, choosing to ignore who we truly are in favor of who they think we are. 

Breaking free of that? The best damn thing I ever did. 

January 13, 2021 14:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

132 comments

Mira Caplan
14:42 Jan 14, 2021

Sorry if I'm bothering you, again, but.......um......hi.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:44 Jan 14, 2021

awww, Mira You could never bother me :D

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:46 Jan 14, 2021

:D Can we just...chat? Because....idk...I just want to talk with someone...and...that real long thread

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:47 Jan 14, 2021

You don't have to ask twice :D ok..... would you rather XD Give up social media or eat the same dinner for the rest of your life?

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:05 Jan 14, 2021

Social media. But if this counts as social media......idkkkkk

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:30 Jan 14, 2021

oh, this definitely counts as social media :D and oooh I'd eat the same dinner, THAT WOULD BE AMAZING

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
14:46 Jan 14, 2021

:D Can we just...chat? Because....idk...I just want to talk with someone...and...that real long thread

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:36 Jan 14, 2021

NANIKA I DON'T THINK I EVER ALERTED YOU ABOUT PART 13 BEING POSTEDDD

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:36 Jan 14, 2021

THAT"S OK....READING IT NOW

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:38 Jan 14, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
13:38 Jan 14, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
23:54 Jan 13, 2021

I think I might've found a downvoter: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/stop-upvoting/

Reply

Nainika Gupta
02:40 Jan 14, 2021

Wait that’s not a link to a profile anymore

Reply

Maya -
02:45 Jan 14, 2021

Oh they changed the name. And deleted all the comments. Here's the new link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/food-good/

Reply

Nainika Gupta
12:28 Jan 14, 2021

oooh - so they're the downvoter???

Reply

Maya -
12:55 Jan 14, 2021

I think maybe one of the downvoters. They said they were going to downvote everyone who was upvoted, then they deleted all the comments.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:14 Jan 14, 2021

gotcha ... well, that's horrible... thanks for sharing!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
21:15 Jan 13, 2021

0-0. Why did this story low-key call me out? I related to Addison so much during this story. I also, usually plan out what I'm gonna say before talking, and I also sound a lot more confident in my head. But when it comes time to talk the words get stuck in my mouth. Props to you for making a main character that felt real and relatable Nani!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
21:17 Jan 13, 2021

ahahaha :D Thanks so much!! I'm more of someone who wings it, so this story was kind of an eye-opener to me, personally :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

HElP I NEEd TO GET TO 7000 but people Are DOWNVOTING ME SO mUUuUcH

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:27 Jan 13, 2021

YESS OMW!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
17:23 Feb 17, 2021

Do you actually like Marvel better than DC, cause I completely do. Hence the name.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:30 Feb 17, 2021

oh yea ofc full on marvel geek I HAVE a marvel fan quiz if you wanna take it - its in my bio

Reply

Creed .
19:28 Feb 17, 2021

I took the quiz, I got half of it wrong because I didn't capitalize my answers. Great.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:33 Feb 17, 2021

ahah i went back in and gave you the points back :)

Reply

Creed .
19:39 Feb 17, 2021

Ha! Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
05:33 Jan 20, 2021

Wow, the beginning. BANG, vampire. and it goes on to chill your blood as it goes on to describe the horrible features of it. Oh, and the ending. "the best damn thing I ever did." Amazing. 🖤

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:08 Jan 20, 2021

awww, thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

New story out Nainika!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:39 Jan 19, 2021

coolio!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.