92 comments

Friendship Sad

It should’ve been like any other day. I was not to talk about it. I was not to tell him about it. I was to walk to the store, and I was never to make a sign of my betrayal. I heard the man's instructions echo in my head.

"Don't be suspicious. Then we'll have to kill you too." I now had to bear the truth of my Nathan’s death, for I was to lead him to it. I would never have agreed to this. Indeed, I regard myself to be of the utmost moral caliber, but I'd fallen on hard times. My children and wife needed support, and I had no work. It was bad enough in the second Depression for people that had work, but for people without, you would never make it. 

This was a chance to get my life on track. I knew that Nathan was a good man, I knew who he was, and who he might've become. I loved him like a brother, like no one else in the world would. My children, though, were innocent and young and deserved a chance to make a living. It was the correct thing to do. Right?

 

______________________________________________

 

“So how are you doing, man?” I said, trying not to sound suspicious at all. “We really haven’t caught up in a while!” 

“No, we haven’t. How have you been? I know that you got sacked last month. Are you and Margaret fine? How’s little Kagney?” My eyes got teary thinking of what Kagney would think of me, leading my best friend to death like a pig to the slaughter. I wish I could tell her that it was all for her and that I was only doing this to help her make a life for herself.

“Everything’s fine, and getting sacked gave me more time with the kids. You know, I think that Margaret is really grateful for all the help I’m giving her at home. Soon, one of us is going to need a job, though.” I said, trying not to make my voice crack with the lie. The pain of Margaret was still fresh. 

My mind went back to those three horrible days in the hospital, waiting and waiting, the halo of the fluorescent lights casting away my delusions of a bright future.

“Margie, it’s gonna be okay, you’re gonna make it through this,” I said through pinched cheeks in the hospital. I knew the truth, and I suspected she did too. After all, a person can tell if they’re dying.

“Honey, no matter what, I just want you to know that you’ve been an amazing dad, and an awesome husband. I don’t know what my life would’ve been like without you. Please promise me that you’ll be fine if I go.” She said, soft as a whisper on a winter day.

“Please don’t say those things. You’re not going to go. I won’t let you.” I replied, crying a little.

“Promise me, Herman. Please.” I knew that I would have to face reality sooner or later. What was the point of denial if only to delay suffering?

“I can’t promise you that, Honey, but I will promise you that I will never forget you. No matter where I am or what I do, I will always have you in my heart.”

_____________________________________________

 

We walked up the steps into the mall, and I knew already that I wouldn't be able to do it. No one would be able to kill their friend, someone that always had their back, no matter what! I would never be able to accept the money if I even found the strength to do the deed. My mind went back to seventh grade when no one would talk to me, no one would want to play with me or be my friend.

 

"Hey, what are you doing?" he said to me.

 

"You're going to make fun of me," I replied

 

"No, I'm not. Why would you think that?"

 

"Because everyone else does. I don't know why."

 

"Well, what are you doing, then?"

 

"I'm reading. Anthem by Ayn Rand."

 

"Wow, you must be really smart! I've never even heard of that book!"

 

"It's all about people that are all equal, and no one has their own thoughts or can commit crimes, but one person does."

 

"Wow, sounds interesting."

 

"You sure say 'wow' a lot."

 

"Wow, I guess I do. Wanna hang out?"

 

"Sure."

 

No one had ever talked to me before. That angel of a boy, now standing and walking before me, gave me a chance. Over the next thirteen years from then, our bond only grew. I was his best man, and he was the best man at our weddings. My daughter Kagney loved to play with Emily, Nathan’s daughter. Our families were very close, but not as close as with him and me. But then I moved, and now I had just lost my job. I’ll never forget that one interaction, though. I guess you could say that I was then like Equality 7-2521 from Anthem. I had a curse of being different. I connected with that book in more ways than I had before thought possible with a piece of literature. It helped fuel my passion as a librarian. Now, I was facing a much bigger dilemma, and I knew that, as he did in seventh grade, I would be his friend and have his back. After all, he was my friend. 

“Hey, you wanna play some Pac-Man?” I asked, trying to prolong my time with Nathan. “Yeah, come on, you know you want to!” We rushed over and I put in some quarters, eager to have some last bonding time with my best friend.

“Man, you know I always beat you at this!” He said playfully after giving me a friendly shove, and sure enough, five minutes later, he had beat my butt in Pac-Man, and then Street Fighter, and then also Pinball. Jeez, there were tons of fun things in malls those days. I would have to take Kagney here one day, in the future when I had overcome this trauma. Wait, what was I thinking? This was not something that I could just move on from! This was the death of my best friend!

The truth of the situation reached my mind. How could I ever have thought that I would be able to do this? It was an impossible task, a gargantuan task. Then, as we walked past the T. Crew clothing store, I saw one of the goons of the bad man. My stomach rose and flipped in my chest, and my heart rate above Mt. Everest! I couldn't breathe. Could they read my betrayal of their betrayal? Could they tell my thoughts? Then, my daughter stepped out from behind the goon. 

He held a knife to her innocent, little, throat. How could these monsters ever think of doing that to a young child? She was only five years old! I sobbed, praying for my friend because I now knew I had no choice. If he knew my situation, he would do the same. 

"Come on, I want to pick up my dry cleaning," I said, with a slight trembling that I hoped he hadn't noticed. I knew he couldn't have noticed my conscience shaking to its very core, but it still made a tear fall down my cheek. Why, of all people, must I suffer through this?

 

______________________________________________

 

I walked into the store, and there was the man. I had told my friend to stay outside until I picked up my dry cleaning, but I was only trying to delay his death. 

"Well, what are you waiting for? Bring him in here and take the money." he barked. 

"Can I have a minute to say goodbye?" I said after taking the money. He grunted his approval and I moped out of the door. 

"Nathan, you've always been a great friend to me. You know I've been through some tough times recently, but I'm so grateful that you've been here for me." I said, giving him a brotherly embrace. He looked surprised but most likely thought that I was breaking down because I had lost my job. Thank goodness he didn't know what was coming. I hoped that it was short and painless. Then I ushered him into the dry cleaning and left the mall. As tears dripped down my cheeks, I knew that he would never forgive me. 


November 09, 2020 14:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

92 comments

Great story!! I loved and enjoyed it a lot! :) (Also, I think the emoji is Alice in Wonderland...)

Reply

. .
19:43 Nov 12, 2020

Lol It is Someone else got it too I just changed it! Give you a hint, this ones a play

Reply

Kiss of the Snake???? 🤔🤔🤨🤨😕🙁 (I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT PLAYS...😆😅)

Reply

. .
19:47 Nov 12, 2020

I'll give you a hint. It's got something to do with Ancient Egypt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
22:43 Nov 09, 2020

Holy guacamole, dude! I'm reading Anthem right now too. I have to say, this prompt wasn't my favorite but the stories, yours included, have done so well portraying the emotion that is needed to power a story like this. There were some mechanical errors, some stylistic things I would change here and there, but I liked the story and the message plenty. Tell me if you want a more specific list of advice, though, and thanks for checking out my stories, too.

Reply

. .
12:46 Nov 10, 2020

Sure, If you don't mind. I haven't written in a while, and I wrote both of these in one day, so I would love some tips.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
14:40 Nov 10, 2020

Okay, fantastic! Let me write up that list and I’ll send it your way.

Reply

. .
23:54 Mar 01, 2021

AW RHONDA REMEMBER THIS????????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
18:22 Nov 09, 2020

This was really, really good, just as your last one was. I really love your writing style and how it flows so elegantly, almost reminding me of Tolkien with the descriptions, but a kid could still read it. I really liked how you had the scene from seventh grade, it provided an interesting backstory that helped the rest of it make sense. I also liked the references to the book, Anthem, which I will be sure to read!

Reply

. .
18:25 Nov 09, 2020

Thanks!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:42 Nov 09, 2020

No problem! Let me known when you write another short story! (:

Reply

. .
18:44 Nov 09, 2020

Lol XD

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:45 Nov 09, 2020

Seriously, tho, you're insanely good at writing

Reply

. .
19:50 Nov 09, 2020

Awwwwwww Too sweet! I think its the reading that helps XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Debbie Teague
14:58 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you for your comments on my story. What happens to the little girl? I sure hope she's okay. Good job.

Reply

. .
14:59 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you so much! The girl is given back to him.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
06:16 Nov 11, 2020

God! This is really well-written! The tense ending was really nice, and the emotions portrayed flowed. Although, just one thing, I think you could have added a flashback or another memory about their childhood together.

Reply

. .
12:00 Nov 11, 2020

Ok, yeah I felt that would make it deeper. I'll definitely re-edit and maybe try to add another. Thanks so much!

Reply

Sia S
12:03 Nov 11, 2020

Yes, And, your Very Welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:04 Nov 11, 2020

This is so great and full of emotion! I love it!

Reply

. .
12:00 Nov 11, 2020

Awwww, Thanks!

Reply

19:20 Nov 11, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:09 Nov 09, 2020

Good work on this. :) You do a good job of portraying emotions, and giving us a realistic seeming plot line. Here are a few things that could be better... Like, Rhonda said, style and formatting: you need to split your paragraphs more often, and whenever someone new speaks. I'd recommend looking up and studying the rules for paragraphs breaks. If you do this, it will make your work much easier to read and comprehend. Right now, it's a bit tricky to understand. Next, your protagonist here is a bit of a passive creature--i.e. he doesn...

Reply

. .
12:46 Nov 10, 2020

Thanks, I was trying to portray him as an accomplice, but I will definitely read up on this stuff, and thanks for the tips.

Reply

13:55 Nov 10, 2020

Cool. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
12:47 Nov 10, 2020

I wrote these in only one day, but so happy you like it.

Reply

13:56 Nov 10, 2020

I'm a fan of the one-day writes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Orenda .
16:51 Nov 13, 2020

LORD OF THE RINGSSSSSSS please tell me i got it right!

Reply

. .
16:52 Nov 13, 2020

YES!!!

Reply

. .
16:56 Nov 13, 2020

Check out my new story

Reply

Orenda .
16:57 Nov 13, 2020

aight. Will definitely check it out after sometime:-)

Reply

. .
16:58 Nov 13, 2020

K thanks!

Reply

Orenda .
16:58 Nov 13, 2020

of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orenda .
17:02 Nov 13, 2020

hint on the current one? My knowledge on books is perhaps really limited lmaoo

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
16:57 Nov 13, 2020

phew! YAY!

Reply

. .
16:57 Nov 13, 2020

Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
02:52 Nov 12, 2020

This is so bittersweet! I really liked it! You have a real knack for this, I have to say. I mean, wow! You describe the relationship between Nathan and Herman perfectly using very few words. You help the reader get a good sense of Herman's thoughts and feelings through his narration, and get the reader to feel for him. That's not easy to do, so kudos to you! (oops, that rhymed, whatever. XD) Also, is your profile picture Maleficent? I can't completely tell but that's my guess. Hopefully we can become Reedsy friends soon! Thank you for r...

Reply

. .
12:49 Nov 12, 2020

Yeah it is Maleficent, I am a big fan of Disney Villains. Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
12:53 Nov 12, 2020

Also, I just felt like sharing this, so if you go to Craigslist Missed Connections you can get some really good story ideas. I haven't made a story with any yet, but I want to, and just wanted to share the opportunity.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
17:56 Nov 12, 2020

Oh, cool! Thanks, Luke!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
B. W.
23:00 Nov 11, 2020

This was another really good story and I do hope that you continue to write more stories on here and on other things, though only when you can ^^ ill give this a 10/10 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zilla Babbitt
18:19 Nov 10, 2020

I'm actually glad he chose to betray his friend. It added some shock and spice to a story that could have gone sickly-sweet sentimental. You have good tension in here, and pretty good dialogue. I suggest reading through your stories each time before you submit, to catch grammar mistakes. I would also indent a lot more than you do here in those gargantuan paragraphs. Always indent before a character speaks. And a quick note: a heart rate of 3,000? Per minute, I'm assuming. That would literally kill you. Over 150 is too much. Athletes have...

Reply

. .
18:23 Nov 10, 2020

I'm sorry, I just started this and finished in one day, and 3,000 was an ill-used hyperbole. It didn't make sense because the mood was so somber. Thanks so much, I'm so happy you like it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
02:44 Nov 15, 2020

Hey, Luke..... I just came out with another story, and you wanted me to let you know, so here I am. :) Your Reedsy Friend, Megan S.

Reply

. .
13:19 Nov 15, 2020

K I'll check it out!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
13:19 Nov 15, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
17:15 Nov 13, 2020

Is it the cricket in times square?

Reply

. .
17:16 Nov 13, 2020

Nah, it was the metamorphosis by franz kafka, but Orenda got it. I'm going to change it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
14:33 Nov 13, 2020

heya! I read your bio and you like Mamamoo?! That's oddly surprising to see males enjoying kpop. Not saying anything negative. I'm just very glad to know another male kpop fan. Very glad! Who do you like though?

Reply

. .
14:35 Nov 13, 2020

In bands: I love Everglow, Itzy, Mamamoo, EXO, BTS. In Artists: Ailee, Hyorin, Lee Hyori, Hyuna. Favorite Singer who isn't kpop but also happens to be Korean: Sohyang. Check out her Lean on Me cover and her Arirang Alone cover. She is the best singer in the world.

Reply

Orenda .
14:46 Nov 13, 2020

I'm a die-hard exo-l. Honestly, kpop is boring w/o them, mamamoo, bts and others. Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
14:36 Nov 13, 2020

Also, I feel that females have the capacity to be much better singers, and to express more feeling. Singing ability is a big deal-breaker for me.

Reply

Orenda .
14:47 Nov 13, 2020

it IS! I hate it when people become singers and popular just because of their appearance. it's unfair!

Reply

. .
14:51 Nov 13, 2020

I know right? Ailee, my second favorite singer, was fat-shamed all her life when she was only 130 pounds! She has such a sad story, same with Sulli from f(x)

Reply

Orenda .
14:54 Nov 13, 2020

oh yes, that's bad. It's disgusting how people value their worth by looking at their appearance and not talent. Sulli was wonderful! I love how Ailee carries herself. Hwasa too.

Reply

. .
14:55 Nov 13, 2020

YES!! Finally another person that feels the same! As Hwasa said "If I don't fit your standards, I will set my own standard."

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jasey Lovegood
01:00 Dec 29, 2020

Interesting story, Luke! I really enjoyed reading this one as well, and I loved the flashbacks. (I write a lot of flashbacks in my stories too) Awesome work! :D

Reply

. .
12:42 Dec 29, 2020

Thanks so much!! I LOVE FLASHBACKS

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:18 Dec 29, 2020

YES ME TOO

Reply

. .
22:34 Dec 29, 2020

LOL THEY ANAZING

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:33 Dec 29, 2020

AGREE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.