225 comments

Adventure Fiction Fantasy

Vibranium was made solely for me. It came to me and obeyed me. It taught me how to live. I had a strong desire towards it; maybe even some lust, but I knew for a fact that this belonged to me.


Nevertheless, no one understood this substance.


Why would they?


The immense potential the vibranium holds is astounding. We, as a world, could combat genetic diseases and create a dynasty. Yet, no one knows where this precious material comes from. But trust me, I’m going to be the first one to find it.


Above me, I heard a siren wailing. Someone’s here. They have found me. I felt the tension when I heard the intensity of the footsteps. Dum Da Dum Da Dum. Each one was louder than the other. In my left hand, I held a vibranium shield that could reflect and absorb kinetic energy; yes, exactly like the one that Captain America has, but much better. On my right, I clutched vibranium arrows that could pierce through absolutely anything. I had been making these for over a year and now was my time to use them.


They entered inaudibly, and I hid behind the pillar; they had not seen me yet. Everything about them was robotic. They moved like robots and scanned everything in the room, and stopped at the vibranium. Coming out from under the shadows, I made my way into the arena and threw my arrows at each one, and kept on doing so until the one at the end came and caught my spear. He threw down his mask and looked me in the eye.


I couldn’t believe it. This was not real. This couldn’t be possible.


Oh no no no.


I rubbed my eyes, but nothing changed. It couldn’t possibly be like this. I observed this man; he had dark chocolate skin and curly black hair, his eyes were mildly brown, which looked like a milk chocolate river, his lips were pink like cotton candy. He was completely identical to me. Everything about us was the same: up to the same freckles, the same hair type, and the same tattoo on his wrist that had the letter W in the middle. Looking at him, I could see that he also had vibranium weapons. How did he get these? I wanted to lean forward and to touch this being. I couldn’t do that. He was trying to kill me but he didn’t and walked away. Looking as baffled as I was.


Questions infiltrated my mind and set off a negative cascade of inquiries to harm me. What had I just seen? I felt these questions suppressing my neurological tissues; I needed to get out of here. They will come again and next time they will show no mercy.


But where will I go?


I have stayed here for 5 years since the day that my foster parents ditched me. My foster parents were the only family I had left and told me to be grateful for them, but I wasn’t grateful because they were monsters. They were cruel, barbaric creatures whose only intent was to make my life filled with pain and suffering. I always got told that my biological father was a King and that I should never actually tell anyone and they meant I was secretly part of the nobility.


Where to now? I thought.


I held up the vibranium, however; it was trying to move out of my hand and it was trying to guide me somewhere. The incessant buzzing and the writhing of the vibranium were telling me to go somewhere. Then it all stopped and all I could hear was the persistent mumble of the word ‘Africa’ in the distance.


It was leading me somewhere.


It went from a mumble into a chant. I could hear it all around me, but no one else could. I could feel the vibranium in my veins; my blood pumped with the force of the vibranium in my hand. It was in me.


It baffled me. It baffled me because I needed to gain another perspective. I needed to take a step back and see the wide-angle version. My brain couldn’t process my subconscious brain. This had never happened before. The vibranium became warmer as it absorbed all the heat from my hand.


Then it hit me: what if I get discovered possessing this secret substance? Then I could die. Just then, my thoughts scattered like a flower scattering its seeds in a strong wind and I remembered something vague from my past. I heard someone telling me, “We will not let our fear of discovery stop us from doing what we want” and maybe this was my father, the King. This is the only memory I have of my past.


That is why I have to find where all this vibranium came from and that is why I wanted to go to Africa.


With every mountain peak, there was another. With each stretch, I reached greater altitudes, and with every stride, I got stronger. I felt the sharp rocks as they whispered to walk lightly. The vibranium grew stronger in my hands; it vibrated more and kept on leading the way until I came off the mountain range. Then it stopped shaking.


I felt a powerful sensation of sway coming from here. It was in the middle of a field and then the vibranium lost all its temperateness and fell to the ground. Something was pulling me forward, it was something that attracted me like a magnet; it felt familiar, a little too familiar. Then it literally hit me: a transparent barrier. They had sealed this wall with some translucent substance. I needed to get inside somehow; I needed to do something. There I saw it out of the corner of my eye: it was the letter W on the ground, just like the tattoo on my wrist.


Perplexed. Yes, completely perplexed. What was this place? What was my connection to this place? Why am I here?


Then he came through the wall towards me. I couldn’t see where he came from or how he did this. I saw his face; he was the man who looked identical to me. He was everything like me…


I asked him who he was and where I was and I began telling him that the vibranium lead me here and that I needed some answers desperately.


"We know this place as Wakanda;" he said.


Wakanda; that seems quite unusual. Why? Because it wasn’t even on the map. It was a hidden place overflowing with vibranium and they had enough to last them for centuries, but no one knew about them. This man who was standing opposite to me and looked exactly like me introduced himself as Abeo.


Before I got to answer, three men pulled me inside the walls, and there, I saw it: the city grew as a platinum petal into a teal sky. This city had a heart, a rhythm, and a beat- all revolved around vibranium. I had never seen so much vibranium in my whole life. From the railway lines to the streetlights, were all powered by vibranium; it was the heart of this place. From the trees in the streets to the mansion in the middle, the city was alive.


They dragged me across the entire city and put me in a room filled with soldiers. I couldn’t run freely or enjoy the outdoor world. Why? Because I was an outsider and I didn’t belong here, but there was something about this place that seemed memorable to me; none of this was new to me. The city beckoned me; it chanted my name, and it called me to worship it.


Then the door flew open and there he was: Abeo and he looked as astounded as me.


He commanded me to get up and follow him, and I obeyed. We walked through the mansion up onto the floor with a throne. They had smothered it with vibranium and gold. Chandeliers were lighting up the room, and I saw enormous pieces of tapestries representing the Wakandan past, and it was mesmerizing. The weapons and machinery were far more advanced than ever in history; this was a utopia.


An old woman entered with her hair braided into a crown and her face was like mine with dark chocolate skin and freckles. However, her eyes were deep blue like the rough sea but tender like the waves on a beach. As she walked in, everyone bowed and greeted her, so I did the same. Then it occurred to me: she was the Queen. I saw on her wrist that she also had a tattoo of the letter W etched into it. I looked around and everyone had this tattoo engraved on their wrist.


She didn’t sit on the throne but on a chair to the far side and looked at me; she looked overwhelmed, like the rest of them. I wanted to say something to break the silence, but Abeo met eyes with the Queen and she nodded.


I couldn’t believe what she said afterward. She told me I was the Prince of Wakanda and Abeo was my twin brother. She told me I got captured in the late wars and they tried to find me but they couldn’t and all hope vanished. Then it came to me: the Queen was my mother.


I asked who my father was, and they told me his name was King T’Challa; I was part of the nobility here in Wakanda and then I remembered that my foster parents told me I was secretly part of the nobility and that my father was a king. It all made sense now.


There he came in: the King and everyone bowed. As he looked at me, tears streamed down his eyes like a river escaping a dam. My parents came over to me and hugged me telling me, they will never let go.


It baffled me: When I heard them calling me ‘Prince Aldrin of Wakanda’ my heart skipped a beat; I knew I was part of the nobility, I never actually thought of myself as a Prince. When looking at everyone’s faces, I knew for a fact that this was my actual family. I looked over the magnificent city which was my own and there it was: all vibranium.


Then everyone chanted “Wakanda forever.”




August 08, 2021 12:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

225 comments

16:36 Aug 08, 2021

Wonderful story, Palak! I really enjoyed it and the ending. Happy writing!!

Reply

Palak Shah
16:40 Aug 08, 2021

Thanks Bella :)))

Reply

14:52 Aug 13, 2021

New story! Check it out!

Reply

Palak Shah
18:57 Aug 14, 2021

Coming over right now :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
14:44 Aug 08, 2021

Hi Palak, I am a Marvel fan so this was fun to read. I think you wrote it very well! Your pacing is really good, it flows well and doesn't drag. Your language is also quite beautiful in places with some wonderful descriptions. Just a couple of thoughts that jumped out at me whilst reading: "Coming out from under the shadows, I made my way into the arena and threw my spear through each one of their heads, and ripped their skull." - If she threw the spear, did it jump back into her hand afterwards or something? How could she keep throwing ...

Reply

Palak Shah
14:52 Aug 08, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have made the corrections that you have suggested.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
07:13 Aug 20, 2021

Join me here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l1H9SUk-Z4VvSKhPYAV_z1kZJLRN9UgmdaxXxKii_TM/edit?usp=sharing

Reply

Palak Shah
09:05 Aug 21, 2021

I have signed up on the doc so is that just it now? I am only asking this because I have never actually been on google docs before so I am kinda confused. Sorry :))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
02:57 Aug 23, 2021

Yeah, you just come to the doc anytime you want and talk to everyone else

Reply

Palak Shah
11:26 Aug 23, 2021

Nice that seems good but I won't be active that much because of work and stuff :)) How was Rahki for you? Btw Happy Late Rakhi

Reply

Dhwani Jain
12:12 Aug 23, 2021

Okay. It went well! I got a lotta gifts. Same to you di!!!

Reply

Palak Shah
08:38 Aug 24, 2021

That's nice :)) Thanks :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This was a great story! I loved how you used the detail in this story! It actually reminded me of black panther. Overall, great job!

Reply

Palak Shah
16:40 Aug 08, 2021

Yeah, it was based on black panther. Thank you so much for your awesome feedback :)))

Reply

Your very welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Reading it now!

Reply

Palak Shah
16:40 Aug 08, 2021

yay :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
12:47 Aug 08, 2021

Whoa! This was good, Palak di! Here's my review: --> THE TITLE ~ Kept me wanting to read, even though I don't have enough time right now. --> THE CHARACTER NAMES ~ Nice, I don't really 'know' Black Panther, but I could get the reference. --> THE BEGINNING ~ Cool, but I don't understand how the starting (when the narrator sees his 'twin' and the 'twin' runs off) is related to the main story (the plot where the narrator got to Wakanda) --> THE PLOT ~ Same comment as above --> THE ENDING ~ It was kind of expected, but good. --> ANYTHING I LIKE...

Reply

Palak Shah
13:30 Aug 08, 2021

Okay, I have just corrected my story with your suggestion. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to add and I will do so. Thank you so much for your amazing feedback :))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:02 Aug 08, 2021

Nice... No, nothing as such, I think these were the only things. I am really happy that you found this review helpful. :)

Reply

Palak Shah
14:03 Aug 08, 2021

I really did, thanks again :))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:09 Aug 08, 2021

=D

Reply

Palak Shah
14:09 Aug 08, 2021

:))))))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phoenix Osborne
01:01 Dec 15, 2021

Based on Black Panther? Oh, I never would have thought of that! Where do people get their ideas? ;)

Reply

Palak Shah
15:32 Dec 15, 2021

Thanks for reading :)) I don't know one day when I was watching the series the idea just came to me. I wonder the same thing actually lol :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
13:50 Dec 13, 2021

Hogwarts House- Ravenclaw Harry Potter Wand- not sure... Zodiac signs- Gemini (you know im insane, right? :) Hunger Games District- District 4 (with Finnick!!) Greek God Parent- Aphrodite Divergent aptitude test result - Divergent (who would have known?) lol those are mine anyway, the story, absolutely wonderful. The story was well plotted, and it had great descriptions. And marvel...um yes please! LOVED IT! You, are officially dubbed, a writer I am FOLLOWING! Party time!!! 🎉🥳🎊🎂

Reply

Palak Shah
16:55 Dec 13, 2021

Noice, hello fellow Ravenclaw. That is amazing that you got Divergent :)) Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback :)) Yay !!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
17:26 Dec 13, 2021

ofc!!!!

Reply

Palak Shah
21:46 Dec 13, 2021

Also, I looked at your bio and you are writing a Sci-Fi series about Mars and I would love to read that when it comes out so let me know :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Heather Z
13:28 Dec 13, 2021

Hi Palak, This was a wonderful story. I have not seen Marvel so I had to Google Search Vibranium to understand what it was! I was also a little confused by the first appearance of the twin brother and why he was fighting him. You have a fantastic imagination and I really felt transferred into this magical world. I enjoyed reading this as I love fantasy, adventure or mystery stories and this included a lot of elements from these themes. I look forward to reading more of your work!

Reply

Palak Shah
16:55 Dec 13, 2021

Thank you Heather I really appreciate this :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
10:09 Nov 23, 2021

heyy! hru? :)

Reply

Palak Shah
20:35 Nov 24, 2021

I am good, busy though lol :)) Hbu?

Reply

Akshara P
09:41 Nov 25, 2021

lol me too, planning on writing anything soon?

Reply

Palak Shah
21:17 Nov 25, 2021

Yeah, I am just cant find the time to write anything. I get some story ideas but I never actually push them enough lol :)) What about you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yuk Yuk
23:38 Nov 16, 2021

🍿

Reply

Palak Shah
17:11 Nov 18, 2021

Heyyyyyyyyy How are you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuk Yuk
23:38 Nov 16, 2021

🍿🍫 Why food emojis though? Yeah. I too would like to play the Harry Potter tune. And procrastination is sadly a clingy lover I'm trying to get over. I recently wrote something after a long break. I think it's cliche. But I want to actually finish what I start.

Reply

Palak Shah
17:11 Nov 18, 2021

I was pretty hungry at that time and food is great :)) It is so hard to play and I can play a bit of it (not very well) I still haven't gotten over my procrastination I love that motivation :))

Reply

Yuk Yuk
08:49 Nov 19, 2021

Well I haven't played it yet. I don't know when😂 but I'll be able to one day. 💪💪 We keep writing!

Reply

Palak Shah
15:19 Nov 21, 2021

Yeah, hopefully, you will. Let me know when you do, it will provide me with some motivation. Yes we do :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
08:29 Oct 02, 2021

The post is out guys! I can’t believe it the number of views it has gotten! Please do check it out! I am really happy with the response and would love it if you guys too check the post out!!! ~ Dhwani Jain {02-10-2021}

Reply

Palak Shah
15:35 Oct 03, 2021

:))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
13:59 Sep 16, 2021

Heyo Palak!! How are you doin'?

Reply

Palak Shah
16:03 Sep 16, 2021

Hey Dhwanana Not too bad Hbu?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
07:02 Sep 17, 2021

I am awesome!

Reply

Palak Shah
18:11 Sep 17, 2021

That is nice to hear :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
12:19 Sep 09, 2021

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day! :D

Reply

Palak Shah
15:35 Sep 13, 2021

Thank you so much Queen :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:28 Sep 05, 2021

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Reply

Palak Shah
07:35 Sep 06, 2021

Thank you so much Em :))

Reply

17:15 Sep 06, 2021

Is it today?

Reply

Palak Shah
15:44 Sep 07, 2021

Yh it was :))

Reply

17:53 Sep 07, 2021

Yay!

Reply

Palak Shah
15:35 Sep 13, 2021

yayyyyy !!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Payal Shah
18:17 Sep 04, 2021

Nice story !!

Reply

Palak Shah
20:47 Sep 04, 2021

Thanks :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
11:34 Sep 03, 2021

Oh my Palak di! It's your birthday soon!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Palak Shah
16:10 Sep 03, 2021

Thanks, Dhwani (I should really say Dhwanana) :))))))))))))))))))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:51 Sep 04, 2021

=D

Reply

Palak Shah
11:57 Sep 04, 2021

:))))))))))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
12:02 Sep 04, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Valerie June
21:14 Aug 21, 2021

I’m not a Marvel fan, but I still found myself enjoying this story. And the details in here were very well put. :) I don’t have anything else to say except I loved it! Great job with this one, Palak.

Reply

Palak Shah
14:09 Aug 22, 2021

Thanks Valerie :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:32 Aug 20, 2021

Palak, this is an amazing story. I read every word. I love the way that you used fictional characters in the Marvel movie "Black Panther" to bring your story to life. Keep writing!

Reply

Palak Shah
09:05 Aug 21, 2021

Thank you so much Navitha for this amazing feedback :))

Reply

09:43 Aug 21, 2021

😊

Reply

Palak Shah
11:19 Aug 21, 2021

:))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.