237 comments

Friendship Fiction Suspense

β€œDid you find the flashlights?” I asked, rummaging through some old cabinets, filled with dust bunnies that provoked my sensitive nose to sneeze.

β€œNada, can’t find a single one.”

β€œDang it,” I cursed under my breath, β€œWe’re totally gonna be in the dark, literally.”

β€œI hate to say this but, β€˜I told you so’.”

I rolled my eyes, spreading my hands wide to help me navigate my surroundings. The frost biting my neck, my fingers numb that they began to feel useless. My mouth chattering, my breath turned to fog as it exited outside my mouth.

My short, ivory hair fell over my shoulders, draping my neck. The rubber band must have fallen off.

The sun rays were out of sight. The dim light began to fade as time ticked off, my breathing less accurate, my heart palpitating with fear mixed with the unknown factor.

The strands of my eyelashes began to freeze, turning into icicles. One more hour spent here and we’ll be ice sculptures.Β 

Frozen to death. I could see the headlines of the next broadcasting news, hitting millions of views.Β 

Not what I expected on a typical Friday evening.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Β 

β€œCome on Coco, don’t be so intransigent… a no-work day can help you,” Akshaya lectured.

β€œI know, I know,” I held my hand up, facing her in a timorous way. Akshaya was known to throw fits, and always won them too.

β€œDon’t you dare drag me to the mall,” I spoke, seeing Akshaya’s black eyes twinkled with excitement.

β€œAww, don’t be so darn tenacious,” She coaxed, batting away at my hands playfully.

β€œI have to do my job, you know much money means to me.”

She placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder, tousling her long, dark hair with her fingers.

β€œDon’t fret sweetie,” She faxed a smile.

β€œIf you let me go, I promise to go shopping tomorrow and actually...,” I pronounced the word with a strain, β€œTry out new dresses.”

Akshaya squeaked, I was grateful to recall closing my ears before her outburst.

β€œDone?” 

β€œYeah,” She gave me a sheepish smile, β€œI’ll go with you,” She gave me a β€˜I know your a escapist’ look.

Great. No way to escape 5 hours of boredom.


β€œHey Co, take my shift will ya?” Kasey; one of my co-workers beseeched, β€œI’m take the long weekend soon.”

β€œUm… fine,” Akshaya gave me a murderous look but I ignored her.

β€œThanks sweets, I owe you one,” Kasey skipped out the door, putting on a thick woolen coat as she strolled over to a brand new Chevy and got in.

I felt the eyes of my annoying girlfriend on my back as I filled in orders, and managed to please Mr. Fellen; one of the famous designers here.

I was exhausted by the end of the day while Akshaya rolled her eyes at me every time the chime of the door went off, inviting a new customer.

β€œI think I’m almost done,” I answered when Akshaya had begun to get on my nerves.

She scoffed, drinking the latte I provided free of cost to shut her up.

2 hours later,

β€œYou done?”

β€œYup, I’ll just lock up.”

I walked towards the glass door, trying to budge it open to only discover it to be frozen shut. Akshaya was busy on her phone, tapping her hands in sync to some music she always listened to, not paying attention to our current dilemma.

I tried to shove the door with all my might, but my hands slipped away due to the moisture from the freezing weather.

Rubbing my hands together, blowing some hot air I tried again, my hands felt numb and weak.

I could hear the swoosh of the wind outside the glass window, snow heavily falling on the sidewalks, coating them white.

We were doomed.

A blizzard is coming.

Before I could react to the part where we were definitely stuck inside the overhanging fluorescent lights went off, darkness seeping through everywhere.

β€œAhh,” I could see the dim light of Akshaya’s phone vibrate as she bumped into me.Β 

She flashed the light on my face, blinding me for a moment.

β€œHey, cut it out… it’s me.”

β€œOops, sorry.”

β€œIt’s fine.”

β€œNo it’s not, we’re trapped inside and I’m freezing,” She complained,”Wait, my phone?! I must have accidentally dropped it.”

I could barely make out her panicked expression.

β€œWe’ll be fine,” I half-lied.Β 

β€œYeah right,” She added sarcastically, β€œAre there flashlights here?”

β€œMaybe, I hope.”

We got up feebly, holding on each other for support. Navigating with our hands, careful not to bump into anything.

10 minutes later,

β€œDid you find the flashlights?” 

β€œNada, can’t find a single one.”

I cursed, careful not to let Akshaya hear how pissed off I was.

β€œI hate to say this but, β€˜I told you so’.”

β€œOk, ok you’re right.”

I could hear her choke a laugh.

β€œHey, come here.”

I walked towards her voice, almost tripping over the carpet. Some blue light flooded from Mr. Fen’s office, a place he never let me go in. Or as I remembered anyone else who worked here either.

β€œCome on, maybe there is a phone or something,” Akshaya coaxed.

I nodded, then remembering Akshaya can’t see me.

β€œFine, but make it quick, I’m normally not allowed inside.”

We hustled inside, the room was a bit warmer than the rest of the building. I could smell the dust and expired coffee beans.

We shuffled through the messy desk, careful not to disturb anything that could backfire on us.

β€œWhat are these?” I felt something sharp on my arm, like a folder edge.

β€œWhat are you doing?” I could see her silhouette shrug, handing me a bunch of folders.

β€œWhat-” I read the title; Blueberry and basil cupcakes- THE SWEETEST HEAVEN BAKERY- BY. PATRICIA ROY.

β€œWho’s Patricia?” I asked.

β€œDon’t know, why is her recipe here?”

β€œHmm,” I flipped through the rest of the files, each paper was soiled or ripped as if they were ancient recipes.

β€œAll these recipes are what we serve here, then…?”

β€œI found a phone!” Akshaya exclaimed, tapping away, β€œLook,” She shoved the phone on my face.

β€œThe sweetest heaven bakery was out of business because they forgot the recipe, someone stole it?”

My face paled, β€œYou don’t think…”

β€œYour boss stole all these recipes, none of them was his own, Akshaya finished.

β€œWe’d better tell someone.”

The sooner I uttered the words, the lights flooded back on. I rubbed my eyes from the sudden exposure of brightness.

β€œHey, here’s a crowbar, wow your boss is very prepared.”

β€œSure is…” I smiled, β€œHe’d better be ready to get in big trouble.”

β€œYou sure? You’ll lose your job.”

β€œYeah, it’s better to not serve a dishonest man than be job-less.”

β€œYou're a good friend Coco,” Akshaya said, hugging me.

β€œSo are you…” I added, β€œIf you won’t drag me to Macy's.”

β€œNot a chance,” She said, linking hands.

β€œWe’d better stop by the police station.”

β€œOh, we will,” She grinned.


Hi everyone! Hope you all enjoyed this story. This was one of the shortest stories I've written and I kept changing ideas and finally landed on this idea. If you didn't understand or it could have been better please let me know.

Dedications!!!

Akshaya Sutrave for always being there for me and one of my firest and best friends!!! THX SO MUCH AKSHAYA :D

&

Coco Longstaff for being a sweet, talkative girl always full of sunshine!!! THX COCO!

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL DAY/NIGHT!












January 19, 2021 18:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

237 comments

Hey there Varsha! I was very engaged in this story! Glad you put Coco's and Akshaya's names in it! It was a great touch to the story! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply

She faxed a smile? Was tat supposed to be faked? Otherwise, I loved it!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
18:13 Feb 02, 2021

New story out, would love your feedback on it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
18:10 Jan 23, 2021

By the way, I have submitted a new story would love your feedback on it

Reply

Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:16 Jan 23, 2021

You are getting better day by day. I see a lot of improvements here. The plot was engaging and the characters were very smooth. The overall energy of the story was good. Great job with your writing. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
08:06 Jan 23, 2021

Shout out writer Ethan https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/ethan-cavacas/ Thora https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/thora-porter/ These are the writers for the week please do check put then in your free time. They work hard for their stories, they would love your comments.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
15:21 Feb 02, 2021

Hey Varsha...little late, but amazing story! i loved it soo soo much!! and I have a new story out, about ww1 - would love your feedback!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:26 Feb 02, 2021

yeah no problem!! AND YAY!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
11:28 Jan 30, 2021

Hi Varsha! As I'm a part of the group, I copy-pasted that part of your bio to mine. Will that be okay? Thanks! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
11:40 Jan 29, 2021

Shout out writer Fearless Fox https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/fearless-fox/ Rachel Sundar https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/rachel-sundar/ Shout out story https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/76/submissions/50251/ These are the shout out writers of the week. Oasis members please update your bio and give your feedback to these people.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Salma Jarir
21:38 Jan 28, 2021

Heyyy !!I just read ur bio ,can I join the group " oasis "? :(

Reply

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/radhika-diksha/ This is Radhika's account.

Reply

Salma Jarir
21:46 Jan 28, 2021

Sure thank you dear ❀

Reply

Salma Jarir
21:54 Jan 28, 2021

Thanksss!! I really liked Trapped and rejection πŸ˜­πŸ‘

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Ooo! Great story, Varsha! I loved it! Hehe! Take that, evil boss! XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:32 Jan 25, 2021

Would you like to play skribble at 3:30 EST (different time than before) today? :D

Reply

Hi Maya! I'll try to come, most likely will!!! Just send the link during that time:D

Reply

Maya -
15:57 Jan 25, 2021

Yay! Okay, sure thing! :D

Reply

Maya -
17:42 Jan 25, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This felt really realistic and easy to read; the energy was calm and understandable; I could really feel like I was there!

Reply

Show 1 reply
19:44 Jan 22, 2021

NEW STORY!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Violet Rose
23:35 Jan 19, 2021

Really good!! I liked it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
ALINA Manha
21:10 Jan 19, 2021

The story is interesting and the plot is unique. I am really happy with everything in it. You have done a great job writing this story. Found out one mistake, 1)β€œI have to do my job, you know much the money means to me.β€œ Correction. " I have to do my job, you know how much money means to me.” But overall I enjoyed it. Keep writing and have a good time.

Reply

ALINA Manha
11:10 Jan 20, 2021

My pleasure! OK πŸ‘πŸ»

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:43 Jan 19, 2021

I liked the story. It seemed a little rushed to me, but other than that, it was another absolutely amazing story!!!

Reply

Hi Cookie! Thank you so much for taking the time to read! Yeah, I kinda wanted to finish it today so I kinda rushed.

Reply

22:03 Jan 19, 2021

That's alright!! It was still a great story. Good job!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
20:13 Jan 19, 2021

Cool story idea.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
18:41 Jan 19, 2021

Really cool story!! I loved the added twist of the story, and thought you did a fantastic job with it!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:41 Jan 19, 2021

you deserve it, girl!! :D:D

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:42 Jan 19, 2021

*hugs harder* YEsSSS

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
19:35 Feb 05, 2021

NEW STORYYYY

Reply

Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.