237 comments

Friendship Fiction Suspense

“Did you find the flashlights?” I asked, rummaging through some old cabinets, filled with dust bunnies that provoked my sensitive nose to sneeze.

“Nada, can’t find a single one.”

“Dang it,” I cursed under my breath, “We’re totally gonna be in the dark, literally.”

“I hate to say this but, ‘I told you so’.”

I rolled my eyes, spreading my hands wide to help me navigate my surroundings. The frost biting my neck, my fingers numb that they began to feel useless. My mouth chattering, my breath turned to fog as it exited outside my mouth.

My short, ivory hair fell over my shoulders, draping my neck. The rubber band must have fallen off.

The sun rays were out of sight. The dim light began to fade as time ticked off, my breathing less accurate, my heart palpitating with fear mixed with the unknown factor.

The strands of my eyelashes began to freeze, turning into icicles. One more hour spent here and we’ll be ice sculptures. 

Frozen to death. I could see the headlines of the next broadcasting news, hitting millions of views. 

Not what I expected on a typical Friday evening.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

“Come on Coco, don’t be so intransigent… a no-work day can help you,” Akshaya lectured.

“I know, I know,” I held my hand up, facing her in a timorous way. Akshaya was known to throw fits, and always won them too.

“Don’t you dare drag me to the mall,” I spoke, seeing Akshaya’s black eyes twinkled with excitement.

“Aww, don’t be so darn tenacious,” She coaxed, batting away at my hands playfully.

“I have to do my job, you know much money means to me.”

She placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder, tousling her long, dark hair with her fingers.

“Don’t fret sweetie,” She faxed a smile.

“If you let me go, I promise to go shopping tomorrow and actually...,” I pronounced the word with a strain, “Try out new dresses.”

Akshaya squeaked, I was grateful to recall closing my ears before her outburst.

“Done?” 

“Yeah,” She gave me a sheepish smile, “I’ll go with you,” She gave me a ‘I know your a escapist’ look.

Great. No way to escape 5 hours of boredom.


“Hey Co, take my shift will ya?” Kasey; one of my co-workers beseeched, “I’m take the long weekend soon.”

“Um… fine,” Akshaya gave me a murderous look but I ignored her.

“Thanks sweets, I owe you one,” Kasey skipped out the door, putting on a thick woolen coat as she strolled over to a brand new Chevy and got in.

I felt the eyes of my annoying girlfriend on my back as I filled in orders, and managed to please Mr. Fellen; one of the famous designers here.

I was exhausted by the end of the day while Akshaya rolled her eyes at me every time the chime of the door went off, inviting a new customer.

“I think I’m almost done,” I answered when Akshaya had begun to get on my nerves.

She scoffed, drinking the latte I provided free of cost to shut her up.

2 hours later,

“You done?”

“Yup, I’ll just lock up.”

I walked towards the glass door, trying to budge it open to only discover it to be frozen shut. Akshaya was busy on her phone, tapping her hands in sync to some music she always listened to, not paying attention to our current dilemma.

I tried to shove the door with all my might, but my hands slipped away due to the moisture from the freezing weather.

Rubbing my hands together, blowing some hot air I tried again, my hands felt numb and weak.

I could hear the swoosh of the wind outside the glass window, snow heavily falling on the sidewalks, coating them white.

We were doomed.

A blizzard is coming.

Before I could react to the part where we were definitely stuck inside the overhanging fluorescent lights went off, darkness seeping through everywhere.

“Ahh,” I could see the dim light of Akshaya’s phone vibrate as she bumped into me. 

She flashed the light on my face, blinding me for a moment.

“Hey, cut it out… it’s me.”

“Oops, sorry.”

“It’s fine.”

“No it’s not, we’re trapped inside and I’m freezing,” She complained,”Wait, my phone?! I must have accidentally dropped it.”

I could barely make out her panicked expression.

“We’ll be fine,” I half-lied. 

“Yeah right,” She added sarcastically, “Are there flashlights here?”

“Maybe, I hope.”

We got up feebly, holding on each other for support. Navigating with our hands, careful not to bump into anything.

10 minutes later,

“Did you find the flashlights?” 

“Nada, can’t find a single one.”

I cursed, careful not to let Akshaya hear how pissed off I was.

“I hate to say this but, ‘I told you so’.”

“Ok, ok you’re right.”

I could hear her choke a laugh.

“Hey, come here.”

I walked towards her voice, almost tripping over the carpet. Some blue light flooded from Mr. Fen’s office, a place he never let me go in. Or as I remembered anyone else who worked here either.

“Come on, maybe there is a phone or something,” Akshaya coaxed.

I nodded, then remembering Akshaya can’t see me.

“Fine, but make it quick, I’m normally not allowed inside.”

We hustled inside, the room was a bit warmer than the rest of the building. I could smell the dust and expired coffee beans.

We shuffled through the messy desk, careful not to disturb anything that could backfire on us.

“What are these?” I felt something sharp on my arm, like a folder edge.

“What are you doing?” I could see her silhouette shrug, handing me a bunch of folders.

“What-” I read the title; Blueberry and basil cupcakes- THE SWEETEST HEAVEN BAKERY- BY. PATRICIA ROY.

“Who’s Patricia?” I asked.

“Don’t know, why is her recipe here?”

“Hmm,” I flipped through the rest of the files, each paper was soiled or ripped as if they were ancient recipes.

“All these recipes are what we serve here, then…?”

“I found a phone!” Akshaya exclaimed, tapping away, “Look,” She shoved the phone on my face.

“The sweetest heaven bakery was out of business because they forgot the recipe, someone stole it?”

My face paled, “You don’t think…”

“Your boss stole all these recipes, none of them was his own, Akshaya finished.

“We’d better tell someone.”

The sooner I uttered the words, the lights flooded back on. I rubbed my eyes from the sudden exposure of brightness.

“Hey, here’s a crowbar, wow your boss is very prepared.”

“Sure is…” I smiled, “He’d better be ready to get in big trouble.”

“You sure? You’ll lose your job.”

“Yeah, it’s better to not serve a dishonest man than be job-less.”

“You're a good friend Coco,” Akshaya said, hugging me.

“So are you…” I added, “If you won’t drag me to Macy's.”

“Not a chance,” She said, linking hands.

“We’d better stop by the police station.”

“Oh, we will,” She grinned.


Hi everyone! Hope you all enjoyed this story. This was one of the shortest stories I've written and I kept changing ideas and finally landed on this idea. If you didn't understand or it could have been better please let me know.

Dedications!!!

Akshaya Sutrave for always being there for me and one of my firest and best friends!!! THX SO MUCH AKSHAYA :D

&

Coco Longstaff for being a sweet, talkative girl always full of sunshine!!! THX COCO!

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL DAY/NIGHT!












January 19, 2021 18:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

237 comments

Kate Reynolds
21:34 Feb 02, 2021

🍪🍪🍪

Reply

YAYA!!!! Ur the best!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:37 Feb 02, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
18:09 Feb 02, 2021

🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪

Reply

Maya -
18:28 Feb 02, 2021

:DDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
17:00 Feb 02, 2021

If you want to play skribble at the same time today I'm putting the link at the bottom of my bio instead of sending it out (since there was a spammer that kept joining last time). :)

Reply

Ok! Thx for letting me know:D

Reply

Maya -
17:54 Feb 02, 2021

No problem! :D Hope your day's been good so far!

Reply

<33 Yup! Hope urs as well!

Reply

Maya -
18:07 Feb 02, 2021

Thanks! <333

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:34 Feb 01, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?WiwlzjGzBwuU

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
15:04 Feb 01, 2021

Hey! Hope you're having a nice day! :D ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ We're playing Skribble again today at 3:30 EST, would you like me to send you the link? :)

Reply

Hey Maya! Sure:D U too <33

Reply

Maya -
15:29 Feb 01, 2021

Yay! <333

Reply

Maya -
15:58 Feb 01, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

🍪🍪🍪🍪

Reply

YAY!!! Thx so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:27 Jan 29, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?QMzdRNtmkoMk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
16:06 Jan 29, 2021

Happy Friday! Hope your day has been great so far! ✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮ Would you like to join our skribble game later today at 3:30 EST? :)

Reply

Happy friday Maya!!! U too! Sure!!!

Reply

Maya -
16:24 Jan 29, 2021

Yay! :DDD Also, new people joined our group! Luna, Mira, Jennie, B.W., and Katelyn!

Reply

YAY!!! I'll add them!

Reply

Maya -
16:26 Jan 29, 2021

YAY! Our little group is growing! :D <3

Reply

I know!!! We're not little anymore tho LOL!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:24 Jan 28, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?7jwI8HoamrKc

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
18:02 Jan 28, 2021

Luna and Priyamvada also joined! Yay! :D

Reply

Maya -
18:52 Jan 28, 2021

:DDDDD I'm so excited for our 2:30 game coming up and the big 3:30 one! The group is so fun!!! :D

Reply

:D, Maya, I can come during the 3:30 one but something came up so I can't come for the 2:30 one. but will come for the 3:30. sorry.

Reply

Maya -
19:15 Jan 28, 2021

It's fine! I'm excited to play with you later! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
15:19 Jan 28, 2021

Hey Varsha, want to do a shorter smaller game at 2:30 so Luke can play? :) Then we can do the normal game at 3:30.

Reply

Maya -
15:24 Jan 28, 2021

Yayyyyyy

Reply

Maya -
15:28 Jan 28, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Kate can't come today.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:14 Jan 28, 2021

Heyyyyyy <3 Want to play at 3:30 today? :D Also, Ethan, Nora, and Nainika joined. I'm putting the new members in the meeting place story. :))))))

Reply

Of course!!! <333 YAY!!! I'll add them, Cookie is in too!

Reply

Maya -
14:59 Jan 28, 2021

When we play later can you send the link to Kate and Cookie? :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:49 Jan 28, 2021

Yayyyyyy :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
21:56 Jan 27, 2021

Yay skribbls! We need a meeting place like a mega comment thread where we can put game links and stuff. :D

Reply

Maya -
22:02 Jan 27, 2021

I'll make a story so people can comment to join! ;D

Reply

OK!!!! I'll add that link to my bio!

Reply

Maya -
22:05 Jan 27, 2021

Okay, I'm making it right now. :D

Reply

:D!!!!Maybe we should make like weekly polls and stuff!!! make reedsy fun!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:38 Jan 27, 2021

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/wolfberry-winter/ That's CJ's link

Reply

21:52 Jan 27, 2021

No prob! :D

Reply

can u tell me whos in the group?

Reply

21:53 Jan 27, 2021

It's me, you, Isaac, Maya, Celeste, Julian (even though he's not on Reedsy), CJ, and Lily.

Reply

Ok, I'll add them in my bio. let them know to copy and paste it when I'm done!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
18:25 Jan 27, 2021

We're playing skribble again at 3:30 EST if you want to play. :)

Reply

Maya -
18:55 Jan 27, 2021

Yay!!! How's your day been so far? :) Also, I posted a new story.

Reply

It's been good Maya!!! I will check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:26 Jan 27, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?hwBGtYgaB9f6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:03 Jan 26, 2021

Hey Varsha! How's your day been? :DDD Btw want to play skribble later at 3:30 EST? :)

Reply

Hi Maya!!! It's been great! U? Sure, I'll let u know if I can't tho.

Reply

Maya -
16:20 Jan 26, 2021

That's great to hear! I'm good. :D Coolio! :D

Reply

Maya -
16:24 Jan 26, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Hey maya! Just a few more mins to play!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
02:35 Jan 23, 2021

New storyyyyyyy

Reply

YAY!!! I'll check it out Kate!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:11 Jan 23, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
15:22 Jan 22, 2021

Happy Friday! Are you excited for the new prompts to come out? :D

Reply

Happy friday Maya!!! Yup, sure am. but might not write anything this week, taking a break. but I'll def check out urs!💖💖💖

Reply

Maya -
16:38 Jan 22, 2021

Okay! :D 💖💖💖

Reply

Maya -
17:02 Jan 22, 2021

How's your week been? :DDD

Reply

It's been busy but good, u?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:48 Jan 20, 2021

I’m doing a science-fiction themed reedsy-cast story and I would like to put you in it if you want. If you want to be in the story, there are just a few questions that I need you to answer. Questions: Alien’s Name (either your name or it could be different): Alien’s size: Alien’s color (can be any color or combination of colors): Alien’s special features (horns, tail, wings, tentacles, fur, scales, fins, etc.): Any other details about their physical appearance: Personality: Alien’s Planet of Origin (can be real or fictional): Any special ab...

Reply

Hey Maya! Thx so much, I'd love to! Alien’s Name: Varsha Alien’s size: 5 foot ish Alien’s color: Lavender, baby blue and rose pink Alien’s special features: sparkly wings, tail and a crown Any other details about their physical appearance: Small, prefer blue eyes, swift. Personality: Always happy, outgoing Alien’s Planet of Origin: Aquimaria Any special abilities it has: Flying? water powers? Other: Has a pet dolphin? THX again!

Reply

Maya -
17:34 Jan 20, 2021

Great, thanks so much!!! :D Btw would you like to play skribble (the online pictionary game) at 2:30 EST with other reedsy people?

Reply

Hi! Of course! I'll try, how do u join anyway?

Reply

Maya -
17:43 Jan 20, 2021

I'll just send you a link and you can join from there. It won't say your real name or anything. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
10:02 Jan 20, 2021

I love love love this story so much, Varsha!! Aww, thank you so so much for dedicating it to me!! :DDDD It really made my day! <3 You're one of my BFFs too!! 😊😊 I loved it!!

Reply

Aww, of course!!!!! Thank you so much Akshaya!!!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
07:36 Jan 21, 2021

My pleasure!! :DDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.