210 comments

Funny Adventure Kids

“Can you keep a secret?” Miley whispered in my ear. 

I had never been a good secret keeper. Well, at least that’s what everyone told me. In first grade, my friend told me she might be moving and not to tell anyone. The next day everyone at school knew. I don’t know how it happened. I could have sworn I didn’t tell anyone.

“Yeah, sure. You know what yes. I mean not… um… I love secrets. Secrets are, well fun?” I blurted out

“Okay then. Well, this is a big secret. I haven’t told anyone yet. You're a pretty quiet kid, so I thought why not?”

“Pft, yeah! That’s me! Georgie the quiet kid!”

“Here it goes! Melony’s dad got this huge promotion at work, and now they're like billionaires or something. She told me they are buying some big house in California. So apparently Friday’s her last day of school.”

“Oh, wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow! That’s one big juicy secret. I bet she wouldn’t want anyone knowing about that! I mean not that I would tell anyone. I’m not that kind of--”

“Georgie! Chill! I know you're not gonna tell anyone! That's why I told you. Now I gotta get to soccer practice. Catch ya later!”

She left almost as soon as she arrived. I had invited Miley over to my house because we were starting to become friends. And of course, she hits me with my weakness, a secret! I promised myself I wouldn’t tell anyone. After all, I only had to keep the secret until Friday. Tomorrow was Thursday. I could handle it.

***

I woke up to my alarm clock. Its beep had annoyed me for the last time. I picked it up off my dresser and slammed it to the ground. It broke in half, and my mom came in. “Just um... Don’t do it again,” My mom said while staring at her phone. There goes another great pep talk from my mom.

Ever since my dad left she had been like this. Now she called herself, a social media influencer. I don’t even know what that is. Lucky for me, I don’t have to.

I had almost forgotten about the whole secret thing until Karen from Junior High came up to me. “Hey! You! I hear you're the one that’s got all the secrets! Let me in on one. I won’t tell.”

This was probably one of the worst things that had ever happened to me. If I told Karen I might be in with the ‘cool kids’. If I didn’t tell her, well, then nothing bad can happen. See what I mean? Hard.

Karen was looking me straight in the eye. My guess was she wasn’t leaving until I told her. 

“What’s it gonna be squirt?” She spat on me when she said this. I had been called many things in my life but never squirt. I was very offended.

“I don’t have to tell you anything!” I started it out strong, but as soon as I said this I knew something bad was coming.

“What did you say?” Karen was built big. She had giant shoulders, and I’d guess she was about six feet tall. 

I was terrified. The only logical thing I could do was run. I ran as fast as I could. I looked back to see Karen chasing me. She was gaining fast. 

I saw my life flash before my eyes, and then I knew what I had to do. I kept running until I reached some bikes. I quickly got on one and peddled away. Luckily the school was on a downward hill. I eased on down and lost Karen.

I did two terrible things in one day. First: I stole a bike. That’s not so bad. The stupid person just left there bike sitting right there. That’s their fault. Second: I ditched an entire day of school.

Now that was bad. Luckily I had a mom who didn’t care. I snuck in the house, or at least I tried.

I started singing some spy music quietly. I did a couple of forward rolls and I was in the clear. Although I did break a couple of glass bowls in the act. 

My mom still hadn’t noticed me. And I doubt she would ever notice the broken bowls. I went up to my room and sat on my bed. 

I was very bored. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and started doing what I normally did on my phone. I looked through unnecessary videos. I kept scrolling through and through until I found the most disturbing video.   

It was me running away from Karen. It was me hopping on the bike I stole. It was me easing down the hill. It was me ditching school. 

My life was over. This video was proof that I stole a bike. It was proof that I ditched school. And worst of all, my mom had liked the video.

It already had seventeen thousand views. Everyone in my school probably saw it. I was never going back to school again.

I watched the video over and over again. Then I started reading the comments. Not all of them were people laughing at me. At least ten of them said: This girl can run.

Maybe there was a positive side out of this horrible day. The coach of the top running high school had also commented on this video.

She said: Wow! If this girl doesn’t end up in the slammer, I would love to have her run for me. 

I was honored, but still depressed. I laid back onto my bed and started crying. It was a mix of happy and sad tears. 

I almost fell asleep when my phone started ringing. It was Miley. I answered it but I didn’t know why. She saw my tears and started crying too.

“Thanks for keeping my secret Georgie. I know it was hard, I mean I watched the video.” We both broke out in laughter and then tears and then back to laughter.

Secrets can hurt, but they can bring out the best in you. Even if it means you have to steal a bike once in a while.

August 17, 2020 19:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

210 comments

Cal Carson
18:57 Aug 24, 2020

Great story, Evelyn. So short and sweet, but really makes you think. I also think there are some punctuation issues, but the plot is well thought out. Way to go. Also, if you have time, I'd love if you checked out my story, too. (I know you probably get a whole bunch of requests like that though)

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
20:43 Aug 24, 2020

Thanks for reading and giving me feedback. Don't worry I love reading other people's stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Rothery
12:29 Aug 24, 2020

This was fun!!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
17:10 Aug 24, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
SUBHOBRATA BASU
12:04 Aug 24, 2020

Really good story. Very different from what others have written. Really enjoyed it. Hope you will enjoy reading my story too https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/55/submissions/30832/

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
17:09 Aug 24, 2020

Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:38 Aug 23, 2020

This was cute. This has a very middle grade, something I might've picked up a book fair. However, I was worried about the mom. I would've been in big trouble if I had broken my alarm or glass bowls like that.

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
20:46 Aug 23, 2020

Ha! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
04:34 Sep 23, 2020

I also may need help again but this time it isn't with some stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:44 Aug 23, 2020

Wow go girl great story

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
16:06 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
08:41 Aug 23, 2020

It's a delightful read, Evelyn! I really like the way you write the dialogues, as well as the ending (the very last sentence, specifically!) P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Yellow Light"? Thank you :D

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:10 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for reading! I would love to read your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tess Bloom
01:21 Aug 23, 2020

Haha I loved reading this. It gave me a good laugh. I loved how she was terrible at keeping secrets, but when the most intimidating person basically threatens her to tell the secret, she keeps it for her friend.

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:08 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
20:03 Aug 22, 2020

I smiled the whole way through this one. Writing should be fun and so should reading. The best part is it was just a story. Sometimes I have to reread some of the offerings because the description is so convoluted that the story fades into the background. I guess what I'm trying to say is great job. You write a very readable story and that is a high compliment. Now I'm going to put your promise to the test. I wrote a story called "Coming Out" using the same prompt. I'd love your feedback. I also would like to point out I've read...

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:07 Aug 23, 2020

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I would love to read your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.P. Gans
13:49 Aug 22, 2020

This really transported me back school, which is terrifying. But I loved it anyway.

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:06 Aug 23, 2020

Ha, Totally get that! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dev Raj Singh
13:41 Aug 22, 2020

Awesome. I woke up a little scratchy in my head, got here and smiled my way through it. Well done Evelyn!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:05 Aug 23, 2020

Ha, Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mustang Patty
12:42 Aug 22, 2020

Hi there, A very interesting story with an original take on the prompt. Since I'm a proofreader, there were several things that came up. This sentence, 'The stupid person just left there bike sitting right there.' The first 'there' should be 'their.' This is one of those errors that occurs when a good read through doesn't happen. I'm sure you would've noticed some of the typos, too. Just a few techniques I think you could use to take your writing to the next level: READ the piece OUT LOUD. You will be amazed at the errors you...

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:05 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate all the advice! I will definitely use all of it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kingshuk Kundu
18:54 Aug 21, 2020

It was such a sweet story. The innocence of childhood. I loved it. I hope to read more stories from you!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:01 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for reading!

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
15:06 Aug 23, 2020

Your welcome! Also thanks for the follow, it motivates me to write more :D P.S.: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Better Late Than Never"? Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tolu Odel
23:51 Aug 20, 2020

Hilarious story, great job Evelyn!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:06 Aug 21, 2020

Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rambling Beth
19:22 Aug 20, 2020

This was such a funny and entertaining story, I absolutely loved it. :)

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
22:43 Aug 20, 2020

Thank you so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Debbie Teague
01:41 Aug 19, 2020

That was a good interpretation of the prompt. I enjoyed reading it and hoped she would be able to "keep the secret". You have conflict and resolution in there which every good story has. Thanks.

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:59 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks for the sweet comment! I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Maria
14:09 Aug 18, 2020

This was a really good story! I like what you did with the prompt!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
14:17 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Anna Maria
14:25 Aug 18, 2020

Also thanks for the follow!! Every follow and like makes a difference for a new author like me!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
15:06 Aug 18, 2020

No problem! I love your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Barbara Burgess
09:50 Aug 18, 2020

I love this story and how it ended with a happy ending. Well done. Keep writing!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
14:16 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you for reading!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
02:22 Aug 18, 2020

Dramatic ending. Nice creative story. Well written. Why did you delete your past stories, Evelyn? Okay, I don’t mind about that. Would you mind reading my story “Secrets don’t remain buried?”

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
14:06 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks for reading. I deleted them because I wanted a fresh start. I will definitely check out your story!

Reply

Keerththan 😀
14:15 Aug 18, 2020

Okay. Thank you for acknowledging my question.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
02:09 Aug 18, 2020

Hey Evelyn! I'm so glad you've started up writing again! This was super creative! It was also funny! Great job!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
14:05 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks for reading. I'm really glad you liked it!

Reply

Avery G.
14:50 Aug 18, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.