48 comments

Science Fiction Speculative

“Lils, what just happened?” Jonas was facing me with wide eyes. I looked at him, then noticed something out the window. A crow. 

I screamed and cowered behind the couch. “Jonas, shut the window.”

“Wha--” he turned around and didn’t see the horrible monster perched on the windowsill.

“SHUT THE WINDOW!” I yelled.

“Okay, okay! I’m shutting the window!” Jonas shut the window then turned to face me. “Lils, are you okay? That was really weird.”

“WE JUST TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND YOU’RE TELLING ME ABOUT WEIRD?” I screeched. I took a deep breath. “There was a crow.”

“You freaked out over a crow?”

“Yes, I did. Why is that so hard to believe? Weren’t you attacked too?”

“Yeah, but the crows here are different.”

“Are they, Jonas? Are they?” I was starting to get worked up again.

“Yeah, they are. What has you freaked out so bad?”

“You don’t know? Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!” I was losing my mind. I was losing my freaking mind. 

Jonas stared at me. Like I was crazy.

“I’m not crazy. That’s crazy.”

“Lils, I’m worried about you.”

“Hahaha. That’s crazy. You’re crazy!”

“I--Nevermind. Just—just take care of yourself, Lilliana.” Jonas slowly backed out of the house, his hands up and his eyes on me the entire time.

             He’s afraid of me. I’m not scary. Right? Right? RIGHT? I bang my head against the wall, trying to clear the fog. It’s like my brain is numb. I can’t feel anything. I’m not scary, right?

I never should’ve gone to the future.

Several Minutes Ago

“Lils, look at this!” Jonas told me excitedly. “I’ve made a time machine! Will you test it with me?”

“I don’t know, Jonas. Are you sure it’s safe?”

“I wouldn’t ask you to do anything too dangerous.” Jonas replied, motioning towards the glowing hunk of metal sitting in the corner of his garage. I looked at it skeptically.

“For the record, I’m still not sure about this.” I said. But I walked forward. “Let’s get this over with.”

Jonas was bouncing when we stepped through the machine. Abstract colors flitted through my mind, and for a minute I thought I knew everything. I could see everything that ever happened or will happen in a nice little row, like buildings.

The colors stopped, and we were still in Jonas’ garage. I was about to complain when I began noticing tiny changes. The tools were a different brand. The bench had moved over and has chipping white paint. The stack of to-be-recycled newspapers had grown. The burnt out light bulb had been replaced.

 “Jonas,” I asked slowly. “Where are we?”

“Don’t you mean when are we?”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine. When are we?”

“The turn of the century.”

“Okay. It worked. Can we go back now?” I was nervous. It felt wrong to be in the future. I didn’t want to know about the future.

“Come on, we have to see how much better the world’s gotten since our time!”

“I don’t know…”

Of course, Jonas didn’t listen to me and grabbed my arm, dragging me through the house, which didn’t seem particularly modernized. Jonas ignored this and went outside.

The outside… was sad. There were no trees, and the roads were dirty and littered. A little blonde girl sat on a bench with a textbook open in her lap. Jonas looked around in shock. I think he was having trouble understanding that the world could go on such a downward spiral.

I walked towards the little girl. She pulled the book in front of her face but otherwise didn’t flinch. I pulled her book down. She stared at me.

“Um, hi? I’m Lilliana. Could I see that for a minute?”

“No.” The girl said without blinking. “It’s mine.”

I bit my lip. “This might sound a bit wild, but I’m from the past and I need to know what happened.”

The girl continued staring at me, like she was trying to read my mind. I glanced around nervously. We were the only people on the street besides Jonas, who was on his knees I assume having a slight mental breakdown. Finally the girl handed me the textbook. “If you lose it,” she said, “I will kill you.”

I had a feeling she wasn’t joking.

I opened the textbook. It started with brief section of the Greeks and Romans and Middle Ages, then went on to talk about this war and that, and how America became a country. Finally, I reached the section about 2020. 

It listed off the many horrid things happening that year, such as murder hornets, category four hurricanes, and above all, the COVID-19 pandemic. It went on to describe humanity’s downfall. I stared at the book in horror hardly processing much of the information anymore. That is, until I saw my own name.

Lilliana Monday

Lilliana Monday is known as one of the most influential people of her time. She invented the ISR (internal scanning ray) which could identify any anomalies within the human body, and GRASP (gasconade, relish, aftermath, sleep, particle). Monday also developed and detonated the first C-bomb, which effectually wiped out 98.99% of the human race and 64.47% of all life on Earth by destroying any living thing which had contracted or come in contact with the COVID-19 virus. With the sudden decrease in people across the world, the stock market crashed. Many people who survived the C-bomb died due to a lack of food and other essential items.

Birds, specifically crows, were now the dominant species on the planet and began devising a government system known as Avianicism -- a socialistic society ruled by an oligarchy of different species with the presiding official being a crow by the name of Fret Svar.

Fret Svar is the best ruler since the beginning of history. Cries echo throughout the streets, “LONG LIVE FRET SVAR!” Even the youngest children know the name Fret Svar.

Avianicism is the government practiced around the world today.

This passage startled me. I was known as the ‘destroyer of humanity?’ There was no way I could make such a deadly bomb. I failed science class for crying out loud!

I handed the girl back her book, then walked over to Jonas. “Jonas,” I said, “We have to go. Now.” I tugged him to his feet.

“No.” he pulled away and stumbled down the street. Crows silently lined up along the buildings.

“Jonas, the birds.”

He suddenly turned to face me. “Lils, how could this happen?” He had tears in his eyes.

“I don’t know.” I lied. “But I think we should get out of here before--”

The birds attacked.

Talons and beaks poked and scratched us, gradually getting rougher. I covered my eyes with one arm, grabbed Jonas with the other, and ran. I banged through the doorway and rushed past an ancient old man. We reached the basement and jumped through the time machine. The colors flashed again and I was back to the present.

 Jonas regained his wits and turned to me. “Lils, what just happened?”

August 31, 2020 23:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

48 comments

Natasha Liu
04:23 Sep 08, 2020

I enjoyed reading this story! It's fun and I really like your writing style.

Reply

Leya Newi
12:15 Sep 08, 2020

Thank you so much, Natasha! I’m glad you enjoyed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
16:44 Sep 04, 2020

I'll read this in a bit, but I SAW A LIME GREEN CAR THE OTHER DAY AND THOUGHT OF YOU AHHHH

Reply

Leya Newi
20:47 Sep 04, 2020

AHHH REALLY??? I LOVE LIME GREEN CARS AND I CANT BELIEVE YOU THOUGHT OF ME???? That’s so awesome and sweet!! I love this site and the people sooo much!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:48 Sep 04, 2020

IKR I GOT SO HAPPY I WAS LIKE AHHHHHHHHHHH (IN MY HEAD OFC) I love it/the people toooo :)

Reply

Leya Newi
20:56 Sep 04, 2020

MY SISTER IS LOOKING AT ME STRANGE I’M SMILING SO HARD RIGHT NOW EEEEEEEE!!!! I’ve met so many awesome people and writers words can’t even explain, and that’s saying something because you know, I like to write and describe stuff AHHHHHHHH!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:59 Sep 04, 2020

HAHA OMG (she should join reeeeeeedsyyyy EVERYONE SHOULD JOIN REEDSY) Aww, yeah I get it XD AHHHH

Reply

Leya Newi
04:40 Sep 05, 2020

She doesn’t like writing. :( I LOVE REEDSY FOR REAL!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kavita Rawat
11:46 Sep 01, 2020

It was a cute and short story.

Reply

Leya Newi
20:40 Sep 01, 2020

I’m glad you enjoyed!

Reply

Kavita Rawat
12:42 Sep 02, 2020

Would you mind checking out my story and comment down your opinions. So, I get to know about my mistakes and it will help me as if sort of guiding me.

Reply

Leya Newi
20:14 Sep 02, 2020

Of course. I’ll check some out sometime today. Do you have a specific story you’d like help with?

Reply

Kavita Rawat
05:40 Sep 03, 2020

The recent one will work for me.

Reply

Leya Newi
12:31 Sep 03, 2020

Okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marcail Nevaeh
18:04 Nov 28, 2020

You’ve got talent girl! Keep writing!

Reply

Leya Newi
06:59 Nov 29, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:12 Nov 10, 2020

Hii, Leya Sorry to intervene, in this brutal manner, I have a request for you would be kind to give a single glance over the vehicle which my team had been working over months. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHX5VUPBJOp/?igshid=5f72nb3cgg30 Sorry to take your time and If possible like the post.Because this would help team to win

Reply

Show 0 replies
Skyler Woods
04:05 Oct 06, 2020

Wow! This story was wicked! I loved it! Now I know who Fret Svar is!

Reply

Leya Newi
04:57 Oct 06, 2020

Good, he will send his crow minions if you don’t. I’m glad you enjoyed!!

Reply

Skyler Woods
07:33 Oct 06, 2020

So scary and cute.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
16:18 Oct 01, 2020

I love Lilliana's character! (and her name) This story is good, especially since it has a futuristic touch when Lilliana tells the girl that she's from the past. Nice!

Reply

Leya Newi
21:05 Oct 01, 2020

Thank you so so much Raquel!!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
22:06 Oct 01, 2020

You're very very welcome! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:35 Sep 24, 2020

Hey, Leya would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time

Reply

Leya Newi
15:46 Sep 24, 2020

No, you're fine! That was beautiful, Prathamesh. Really.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.J. Brown
04:41 Sep 24, 2020

Awesome story! I love time travel stuff in general and this was really good. Definitely gave me chills when she was reading about herself!

Reply

Leya Newi
15:41 Sep 24, 2020

That makes me so happy to hear! Thank you, A.j.!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba Noor
16:17 Sep 09, 2020

I enjoyed your story..specially the incident of crows.. I have also submitted my story for this prompt.. would you mind reading mine too?

Reply

Leya Newi
18:25 Sep 09, 2020

I’m glad you enjoyed, Laiba! I would love to check out your story, I’ll look at it sometime soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
02:54 Sep 06, 2020

Leya! This was great! :) I love science fiction.

Reply

Leya Newi
14:14 Sep 06, 2020

Thank you so much, Rhondalise, writer of the ship Afrassi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
07:01 Sep 05, 2020

Good story.Gret job👍keep it up.Keep writing. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior?”

Reply

Leya Newi
14:23 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you so much! I’ll try to check out your story later today!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Slade
00:36 Sep 05, 2020

Very cool idea! Has so much potential. You did a great job of fitting a lot into a short passage. I LOVE that you took the turmoil in the world today and put the blame of the end of humanity on this one random time traveling girl. Enjoyable read!

Reply

Leya Newi
04:42 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you so much, Chris! And it really means a a lot to me when someone enjoys my writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
01:39 Sep 04, 2020

Awesome story!

Reply

Leya Newi
01:58 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

. .
02:08 Sep 04, 2020

Np!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sarah Freeman
16:02 Sep 03, 2020

Nice job, Leya!!! Jonas and Lilliana are funny. The first part is a teeeeeensy bit confusing but I like the plot. It’s interesting because I’ve thought of that prompt as more of the person noticing that they HAVEN’T been remembered, but you made it that Lilliana WAS remembered for something terrible she did. I really like when the girl threatens Lilliana—HILARIOUS! The whole story has that nice light humor. Great job! I suggest you write more about the Lionheart Concord; I absolutely LOVED that. Grammar is good as far as I can tell, characte...

Reply

Sarah Freeman
16:03 Sep 03, 2020

Sorry I accidentally pressed ‘post comment’ like ten extra times...

Reply

Leya Newi
22:24 Sep 03, 2020

It's good. Thank you so much! I'm glad you found it enjoyable and funny, it's makes me so, so happy to hear that, I can't even tell you. I'll write about that bunch again at some point or another, they've been bugging me about it too. Thank you again!!!

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:42 Sep 04, 2020

Yay! Can’t wait!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Blaauw
16:20 Sep 01, 2020

You have to be kidding me! We go from writers block to this in, what, a week? I think you need to do more writing and less coming up with reasons you can't write. This was excellent, in other words. Your usual, clear style is evident but what stands out for me is the idea. The crazy, bizarre, wonderful, amazing idea. Crows? Where did that come from? Brilliant! I also see a lot of writers struggle with the idea that a story doesn't have to start at the beginning. You show that principle excellently. Your opening is incredibly engaging p...

Reply

Leya Newi
20:53 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed, Jonathan! And okay. I’ll make it a priority to write but (more excuses) I’ve been really busy with school. I got the idea when me and a friend were talking about training birds, and she said there were a bunch of creepy crows on her street and when I was writing it combined with a a couple other things and this is what I ended with. I’m glad the time jump was clear and made sense, I’ve kinda been experimenting with them. Anyway, hopefully this story means I’ll get back to being consistent with posting sto...

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
08:21 Sep 02, 2020

Oh, right, I forgot schools were a thing again. What a strange year it's been. At least we haven’t been overthrown by crows… yet. This story gets another layer of creepiness when you think about the collective noun for a bunch of crows. Glad you’re back. I know it’s not always easy to find time to write, but as long as you’re thinking about it often because it’d be a shame to let such talent go to waste. And I do believe you’ve invented a new word with your title. Hopefully, that won’t become a real thing… although, I wouldn’t be surprise...

Reply

Leya Newi
20:12 Sep 02, 2020

Oh, I hadn’t even been thinking about what a group of crows is called when I had been writing this but you’re right that is creepy. I hope it doesn’t become a thing it was bad enough writing about it. Anyway, thank you again for the encouragement! I always make more of an effort to write when people enjoy what I’ve written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:14 Sep 01, 2020

Ohmygosh, this was FANTASTIC! A very intriguing take on the prompt...awesome job! Keep writing, Leya!

Reply

Leya Newi
00:22 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much, Aerin! I’m glad you enjoyed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.