331 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Suspense


((Raya's POV))


He's not coming back. The sentence runs through my mind in circles. 



With every throw, I try and push it back. The knives form a perfect line across the wooden board, each of them exactly a foot apart. But it's not good enough. Nothing I do is ever up to my mother's standards. I glace out one of the windows, and out at the sky. I wonder if the sky Therin sees is the same. 


"You're pushing yourself too hard." Kate said softly, lowering her bow, not bothering to shoot her arrow. I stared at the just visible silver tip from her last one. 


"It's off center." I ignored her statement, snatching her bow and adjusting my stance. I pulled my arm back, digging my feet into the ground, releasing the string a moment later. It embedded in the wood right next to hers, in the center of the red dot. I reached out for another, and she grabbed my arm.  


"Raya, stop." 


I glared, looking away as tears threatened to pool in my eyes. "What." I hissed, yanking my arm away.


She looked at me for a second before pulling me into a hug. I froze before hugging her back, tears spilling down my face and staining the fabric of her violet shirt. For once, I don't care about my title as Lady Castor. I just want to be Raya. 


"He's gone." I whispered, trembling even though it isn't cold. I drift back to that first meeting where I met him, and the pair of ice-blue eyes that wouldn't eave my mind. 


"Therin can fight. He-" 


"He isn't good enough." I said sharply, pulling away and staring at her through tear-filled eyes. My voice cracks at the end of the sentence, words another affirmation that Therin's as good as dead "Just like how I'm not good enough."

I'm not the heir my parents wanted. I'm not the person I could be. It's angering that I don't want to change. "Just like how mother says it isn't good enough if I love someone who isn't royalty." I cut off, meeting her eyes. "He's gone, Kate." The flow of tears doesn't stop, and I give up trying to hold them back. "He's gone." 


*****************


((Therin's POV))


"You think you know what's going on." Karila whispered, her eyes glowing brightly as a pitiful smile tugs at the corners of her lips. "But you don't." Black tendrils drifted from her fingertips into the air, coiling around my arms. I try and pull back, but can't. She's constricting my movement, and making it so I can't do anything to fight against her.


My dragon snarls, and Karila's takes a step forward, pushing it's face toward Alasdaire. He cowers in fear of the huge creature, and I understand why. Just like with Karila now, that beast looks like they could kill someone instantly, and without a second thought.


"You think Raya loves you." My gaze snaps to hers. 


"How dare you-"


"But she doesn't." Karila shakes her head. The callous glisten in her eyes is quickly replaced with contempt. I open my mouth to fire back a retort, to tell her that she's wrong. But nothing comes out. When I try, I can't say anything. Why can't I contradict her? Why do I find myself believing those obviously false words?


Every memory of Raya is replaced with the one of her talking to the woman in white, then she and her mother watching someone scream. Her expression is blank. 


Raya isn't saying anything because it's dangerous to. She isn't saying anything because she doesn't care. She didn't say anything because wants to eventually be able to fight against them. She didn't say anything because she agrees with what they're doing. It benefits her. Raya is nobility, after all. It helps her, even though it hurts me. 


"She doesn't love you." 


I look back at Karila, trying to blink away the tears that dare to form in my eyes. "Stop-" I choke out, but am soon overwhelmed by images of her. Karila's words cut deep. It feels like I'm being stabbed over and over as that sentence pulses in my mind. I don't want to beg like I'm some animal at the mercy of their master's whip. But I can't watch everything I thought I knew turn inside out. I'd rather be oblivious to whatever Karila's trying to make me see. "Please."


She doesn't love you. 


"You're blind." She spat out. Her eyes stare into mine. She's reaching into the depths of my mind, forcing open the doors that hide everything that needs to be hidden. My insecurities, fears, everything. 


I see my younger brother staring at the floor, weakly holding his sword as our father tells him that he's doing everything wrong. My mother just stands in the corner, not doing anything to defend her youngest son. 


Raya with tears pouring down her face. The moments before I have the chance to comfort her, where she looks helpless and broken.


"You did this to her, Therin." Karila says softly as I look up. My gaze is blurred, but I could easily make out the satisfied smirk painted on her face. "It was only after she met you that she became like this. Weak."


"She isn't..." I can't finish my sentence. I know that it's true. It's because of me that she's been...weakened. How could she possibly love me after what I've done?


The black coils tighten around my limbs, strengthening their hold as I struggle against them. I let out a sharp cry as it leaves burn marks on my skin. The veins around her eyes become dark, and as do the whites of her eyes. My vision swims in front of me, as if I was staring at something submerged in water while the space around me spins. When I try and take in a breath, I can't. It gets caught in my throat, like I'm drowning. It burns terribly, like a mix of fire and water. Black spots swarm my vision, and I see Alasdaire suffering the same fate. He didn't do anything besides be a dragon. He doesn't deserve whatever this is. For myself, I couldn't say the same. 


I'm yanked back up, and gasp for air as it fills my lungs once again. As I stare at Karila and she stares back, her figure is replaced with Raya.


I don't know if I love or hate her. Karila's words seem so true and believable. They makes sense, furthermore. Why would Raya love me? Why would I love her?


If only I hadn't approached and asked what a noble like her was doing at a meeting for people against the Dragon Races. If only she hadn't answered with a snarky yet still genuine remark, turning back to Kate with something between a smile and a smirk.


If only I hadn't fallen in love her, none of this would have happened.


None of this would be happening. 

January 14, 2021 01:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

331 comments

B. W.
20:28 Jan 16, 2021

Hey

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:47 Jan 16, 2021

hi!

Reply

B. W.
23:07 Jan 16, 2021

How are ya doing?

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:56 Jan 17, 2021

good! you?

Reply

B. W.
21:08 Jan 17, 2021

I guess I'm fine, do you like the prompts?

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:26 Jan 18, 2021

yeah! There's a bit challenging for TDR, but I think one of them will work...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:26 Jan 18, 2021

yeah! There's a bit challenging for TDR, but I think one of them will work...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
21:47 Jan 16, 2021

hi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kate Reynolds
20:53 Jan 15, 2021

IT IS OUTTTTTT

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
19:27 Jan 15, 2021

Skribble Link: https://skribbl.io/?Xrx2njr1Vp74 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
18:08 Jan 15, 2021

Hai!! Ok so you know Alize (the main character)? I'm thinking of changing her name to either Evin, Sezia or Axelia. Or do you think I should just keep it? And for her friend (he will be a boy) maybe like Alois?

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:34 Jan 15, 2021

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok. Evin could even be the male characters name. It just sounds androgynous to me. (I can't believe I spelled that right on the first try XD) Axelia's a bit hard to pronounce, especially because of the hard "x" going right into the "lia." I do like that one, though. Sezia kinda sounds like seizure..... idk why. XD Alois or Evin could work. The name should reflect the character, and give the reader insight about them. (Like Katya/Kate sounds really warm and friendly and like someone's tough yet supportive best frie...

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:39 Jan 15, 2021

Oohhhh okieeeeee Alois means warrior and Evin means fighter

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:41 Jan 15, 2021

Ooooohhhhh, cool!!! If you have a specific personality in mind, you could looks up "names that mean ___" I find that helps when coming up with insanely awesome fantasy names XD https://nameberry.com/userlist/view/28759 That list is awesome for fantasy names.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:47 Jan 15, 2021

OOH THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:51 Jan 15, 2021

npppppp!!! I just looked at the updated list (the link) andsaw that they literally have Alaire and Liriene. I have two characters name Alarire and Leriene. Pyralis, like Eriene Pyrallis, is also there. Kinda scary... XDDD

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
19:12 Jan 15, 2021

Okie I've narrowed it down to a few (for the main character): Eirian, Raiza, Mireille, and Mireia Queen Eirian? Queen Raiza? Queen Mireille? Queen Mireia?

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:24 Jan 15, 2021

Oooooooooh!!! Ok. I'm partial to Mirielle/Mireille and Mireia because that's...like... my name, and Raiza is cool, too. Eirian sounds like Eriene, so........... I love that name, but like it's kinda like Eriene.... *territorial protective stance* XD Something like Leira, Evanthe, Tressa, Breena, Cambria, or Alissia would be cool, too. It all depends on the vibe you're going for, and whether the names are totally fantasy, fantasy sci-fi (like the ones in TDR), totally sci fi, or normal ish.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
18:39 Jan 15, 2021

Oohhhh okieeeeee Alois means warrior and Evin means fighter

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Mira Caplan
18:34 Jan 15, 2021

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok. Evin could even be the male characters name. It just sounds androgynous to me. (I can't believe I spelled that right on the first try XD) Axelia's a bit hard to pronounce, especially because of the hard "x" going right into the "lia." I do like that one, though. Sezia kinda sounds like seizure..... idk why. XD Alois or Evin could work. The name should reflect the character, and give the reader insight about them. (Like Katya/Kate sounds really warm and friendly and like someone's tough yet supportive best frie...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
18:34 Jan 15, 2021

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok. Evin could even be the male characters name. It just sounds androgynous to me. (I can't believe I spelled that right on the first try XD) Axelia's a bit hard to pronounce, especially because of the hard "x" going right into the "lia." I do like that one, though. Sezia kinda sounds like seizure..... idk why. XD Alois or Evin could work. The name should reflect the character, and give the reader insight about them. (Like Katya/Kate sounds really warm and friendly and like someone's tough yet supportive best frie...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Kate Reynolds
23:49 Jan 14, 2021

:DDDDDDD oohhhhh thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo muchhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:50 Jan 14, 2021

nppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:53 Jan 14, 2021

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC: (that looks kinda weird-)

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:55 Jan 14, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:16 Jan 15, 2021

Lmaoooooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
00:16 Jan 15, 2021

Lmaoooooo

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:18 Jan 15, 2021

You are ridiculously awesome

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
23:53 Jan 14, 2021

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC: (that looks kinda weird-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
23:49 Jan 14, 2021

:DDDDDDD oohhhhh thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo muchhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
19:32 Jan 14, 2021

Here's the link: https://skribbl.io/?06WSKv6bipCl

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
16:22 Jan 14, 2021

You're writing is so amazing, Mira! Obviously! You have created a whole new universe which is one of the most difficult things for a writer to do. Every detail from the other world is so wonderfully artistic and original. It's so thought out it could be an actual place. Your ideas, story lines, names, everything are all so creative and unbelievably amazing! You're going to be an AMAZING author one day and I can't wait to see a published book with your name on it. I would read any book your wrote. Never doubt how extremely awesome your writ...

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:23 Jan 14, 2021

......I'm gonna cry. Ok, *breathe* THANK YOU MAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But like seriosuly I'm gonna cry

Reply

Maya -
16:27 Jan 14, 2021

It's true, Mira! You have so much potential and a great writing future ahead of you!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:28 Jan 14, 2021

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Reply

Maya -
16:28 Jan 14, 2021

<3 <3 <3

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:29 Jan 14, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:29 Jan 14, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
16:14 Jan 14, 2021

Omg the more I read this the more I love ittttttttttttttttt THE DETAILS ARE FREAKING INCREDIBLE AND THE EMOTION THAT YOU CREATEDDDDDDDD I REALLY LOVE HOW RAYA DOESN'T WANT TO HAVE HOPE AND IT SUITS HER CHARACTER SO WELL Gotta say, this series is probably my fav on Reedsy! (If you ever make this into a book, I would TOTALLY buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:15 Jan 14, 2021

Oh. Mah. Gawrd. I- ............... you have no idea how much i needed that. AND YOU WILL TOTALLY GET A SIGNED COPY!!! (Idk how I would get it to you, but like.... XDDDD)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:16 Jan 14, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! (Be sure to mention me when you become famous!!!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
16:16 Jan 14, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! (Be sure to mention me when you become famous!!!)

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:20 Jan 14, 2021

YOU WILL BE FAMOUS TOO!!! And OBVI, YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:21 Jan 14, 2021

THANKS YOU BUT NOT AS FAMOUS AS YOU THOUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:22 Jan 14, 2021

EXCUSE MOI??????????????????????????????????????????????? NON!!!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
15:58 Jan 14, 2021

I LOVE THE ROMANCEEEEEEEE AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "He's not coming back" I- You had me hooked with that very line. HOW CAN A SINGLE HUMAN BEING BE THIS GOOD AT FANTASY??!!!! Also, the way you described Therin's pain, was amaxing!!!! Critique? Well....I guess Luke's already taken that role XD

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:58 Jan 14, 2021

SQUEEEEEEEEE!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaarrrrgggggg, the whole info-dump thing is real hard to get rid of XD HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:13 Jan 14, 2021

AHAHAHA Maybe try rephrasing it? Or just take out some of the less important parts?

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:15 Jan 14, 2021

Yeah. Like, adding more reaction instead of just.....stuff

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:18 Jan 14, 2021

Haha yes

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:21 Jan 14, 2021

Okkkkkkkkk........

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
18:33 Jan 14, 2021

IT HAS BEEN DELETED!!! I am the biggest Theraya shipper on this whole planet and I LARB THEMMMMMMMMM

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
18:33 Jan 14, 2021

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:34 Jan 14, 2021

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just made some minor edits to 13!!! They're...like...seriously minor, but I think it just makes it better? Idk...

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
18:35 Jan 14, 2021

Minor edits are still edits and edits make everything better so....yeah they made it better XD

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:38 Jan 14, 2021

Luke's telling me to add more, so off I go XDDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
15:20 Jan 22, 2021

gasp! did you not take the french quizzz?!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
22:08 Jan 19, 2021

Hellooooo! (It's been a whileeee)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.