1278 comments

Drama Horror Sad

Trigger warning: Gory scenes, suicide, and screaming.


No.

It can't end like this.

- - -

If there's anything I hate, it's laziness. Just waking up to a messy room can make me angry and dampen my mood like a thunderstorm. So therefore, when I rolled out of bed with my many precious books, I was not expecting my dear cousin to have a landfill dumped in his room at precisely 8:34 in the morning, when I came in. He used to be such a stickler for neat and tidy rooms. When we went to church he scrubbed the chairs clean before sitting down on them. He never ate pizza, nor did he eat ice cream, as those too were far too dirty for him.

And yet, he is right here, in a dirty room, with a dirty face.

Much to my chagrin, he seemed to not notice me or react at all to my presence. He just kept on lounging in his room.

Kent was being so rude right now that I wanted to give him a wake-up slap.

"Earth to Kent, Earth to Kent! EARTH TO KENT!!"

With half -open eyes, my cousin hauled himself up and looked at me.

"What do ya want, loser?"

Why is he talking like that? Kent, the proper gentleman? What happened to him? Why is he so messy now?

I shook myself and ignored his speech.

To be honest, I think that should have been a warning sign. But I did not see it.

"Um. You promised to come with me. To my best friend's party!"

He rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, I promised to go to yer nerd party. So what?"

"So... Get dressed!"

"Alright, now get ya peeping head outta here."

I stepped out to prepare myself for the party too. As I peeled apart two books, I was confused. Again, why was my cousin, my role model, acting so strange and being so weird? I was afraid to ask. At least I had to party to look forward to.

I should have known.

  • -ย -ย -

I pulled into the driveway, turning the music down and stepping out of the car. It was a silent drive, with Kent mumbling the occasional curse word and banging his seat. Iย turned the music up to fill the empty silence during the drive, as I usually chatted with Kent during this time. But he ignored me.

โ€œHi John!โ€

โ€œHey! How are you guys doing?โ€

โ€œWeโ€™re alright, just a little bit tired.โ€

During this exchange I noticed Kent glaring at John, like he had a grudge or something. I glanced at him, then quickly averted my gaze.

John must have seen me looking, because he pulled me in and drew me in a heated debate with his sister, himself, and me. I started ranting about how football and soccer were overrated and that snowboarding was cool, and Kelly (Johnโ€™s sister) began screaming at John for agreeing.

We all went into the pool and yeeted water balloons at each other. Kent didnโ€™t join us.ย 

When we all watched a heart-breaking movie, Kent stayed to one side.

Iโ€™m sorry.

I went to get my second coke, and John followed, his face worried.

โ€œWhatโ€™s going on?โ€

โ€œWith?โ€

โ€œKent! He is acting so moody and depressed! Whatโ€™s going on with him and you? I donโ€™t get it!โ€

Iโ€™m sorry. I shouldโ€™ve listened to you. I shouldโ€™ve paid more attention and talked to Kent.ย 

Waving him off, I went back and finished the movie. It was good, but I didnโ€™t pay any attention to it. I was angry, for no reason.ย 

โ€œIโ€™m going outside to get some fresh air. Wanna come?โ€

โ€œThanks, but na.โ€

โ€œAlright.โ€

Who knew.

John went outside, whistling. I admired how outgoing he was, with a head full of flaming hair and a stylish coat. He made friends so easily. He was my key to friends and fun.

And all that was torn away.

I didnโ€™t see Kent following him.

I didnโ€™t see my changed cousin following my best friend,

As the party dragged on, I had uneasiness nagging at the back of my head, and without thinking, I went outside.

I canโ€™t describe what was going on in my head as I stepped into the alleyway, enjoying the air. The horrific scene was painted into my brain.

I will try to tell you what happened, but itโ€™s so disgusting, I recommend not eating.

Blood dripped off Kentโ€™s knife as the split-opened brain of my late best friend lay on the floor, mushed and diced like maggots infesting rotten cheese. His chest still had the heart beating inside, but the lungs were squashed and molded, bile dripping across the walkway.ย Johnโ€™s guts lay coiled around his unrecognizable head, forever choking him. The legs had been tossed into the nearby sewer, adding to the foul smell of peopleโ€™s bathrooms. Toes lay littered on the floor, forgotten.

โ€œK-Kentโ€ฆโ€

He looked up with bloodshot eyes and a terrible smile.

โ€œDid..Did you just..just KILL MY BEST FRIEND?โ€

โ€œYes.โ€

โ€œY-You MURDERER!โ€

As the truth sank in, I thought about something.

Do I want to be family with a murderer? Do I want to stay with him? What if he kills me?

Is he like this because he dropped out of college? I-I shouldโ€™ve talked to him! John! Iโ€™m sorry! What do I do..

The answer showed itself.

โ€œI HATE YOUR GUTS, KENT. AND Iโ€™VE DECIDED THAT I WANT TO LEAVE YOU. I DONโ€™T WANT TO BE RELATED TO A USELESS PERSON THAT DESTROYS FRIENDSHIPS AND KILLS PEOPLE. IN FACT, Iโ€™M TELLING KELLY AND THE POLICE.โ€

Kentโ€™s smile vanished.

โ€œYou wouldnโ€™t.โ€

โ€œWatch me.โ€

I ran. As I ran, I looked back at Johnโ€™s house, where people were still partying. Then I looked at Kent. In horror.

The blade he had used to slaughter my best friend glinted in the moonlight as he impaled himself.

To death.

Goodbye forever, Kent.

Iโ€™ll miss you, John.

Goodbye.


I want to dedicate this story to someone, but it's wayyyyy to gory. So, Shoutout to Litlover for giving me something to write! <3

February 03, 2021 05:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1278 comments

Lilliane Wei
06:17 Feb 03, 2021

Hey, Cel. This was very dark and mysterious, honestly very different from what I'm used to reading and writing. But I think you did a fantastic job describing all the little details! Do you think you'll write a sequel? I really want to know why Kent would do that. Wait, oops, I forgot Kent's dead...umm, well, okay then, I can't believe I forgot that smh. No matter! Great story telling and excellent sensory detail. One question, what's the difference between the italicized parts of the story and the parts that aren't? I think I'm just missing...

Reply

HI Lia! Its me first time doing this XDD Thanks! Ye, kents ded, and umm, the italicized parts are the main characters' thoughts, XDDDDDDDD Thanks for reading! Cellll

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:48 Feb 03, 2021

Of course!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya โœจ
06:06 Feb 03, 2021

Hi Celeste! I liked this story so much! You've incorporated the darkness so well! And the descriptions were well worth the read! Great work!! Keep writing! :)

Reply

Akshaya โœจ
11:09 Mar 11, 2021

Hey Celeste! Lol, I missed this comment, sorry! :P But I'm doing great, and you? (Well, we have another thread somewhere else but I still thought I'd reply XD)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
05:49 Feb 03, 2021

Wow- dark story, Celeste! It was really great though, especially the descriptions (no matter how disturbing) XD That paragraph where he finds Kent and John will forever haunt my dreams. XD Also, I posted a new story. :)

Reply

Maya -
06:00 Feb 03, 2021

Lol, you're definitely good at the gory stuff, you painted a very terrifying picture. XDDDDDD

Reply

And my first time tooo.... XDDDD Thanks maya! Next time I post a story I WILL TEEL YOIUUU

Reply

Maya -
06:02 Feb 03, 2021

Yayyyyy!!!! XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
06:02 Feb 03, 2021

Byeeeeee

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
04:35 Feb 16, 2021

Shout out writer โœจCookie Carla https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/cookie-carla/ โœจCherri Joanna https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/cherri-joanna/ Shout out story ๐ŸงจBy Frances https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/80/submissions/54265/ These are this weeks writers and story, in you free time please check them out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
16:59 Feb 12, 2021

New story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
22:03 Feb 10, 2021

Lol I got this story for Critique Circle. I already commented, though. XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
16:25 Feb 10, 2021

Hey, Totally felt the emotion in this story. Please continue to be great :) Can I join your group?

Reply

19:13 Feb 10, 2021

๐•Š๐•œ๐•ฃ๐•š๐•“๐•“๐•๐•ค this one I think...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
22:00 Feb 09, 2021

๐Ÿฆ‹

Reply

Ari Berri
18:36 Feb 10, 2021

Thanks! XD

Reply

Ari Berri
18:38 Feb 10, 2021

I'm trying! I'm working on a bunch of different things.

Reply

WoOooOOo I like the sound of that :DD I cant believe you can write sooooooooooo fast gimme your fast skills D:<<< XD JKJKJKJK

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Kylie Rudolf
15:58 Feb 08, 2021

I don't even know what to say. This story leaves you speechless. This story is very well done.

Reply

Kylie Rudolf
18:09 Feb 08, 2021

Thank you! I loved the 2020 adaption of Mulan, she is so much more badass in that movie.

Reply

Kylie Rudolf
18:15 Feb 08, 2021

Who did you like the most?

Reply

Kylie Rudolf
22:46 Feb 08, 2021

Mulan and Cricket

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:12 Feb 07, 2021

Nice new name! :)

Reply

Maya -
16:14 Feb 07, 2021

It's amazing! :DDDDDDDDD

Reply

Also check emarald's comments and realized me and you are in the same group :DDDD (SPELLING)

Reply

Maya -
16:17 Feb 07, 2021

The color groups? :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Maya -
16:04 Feb 06, 2021

Would you happen to want to be a villain in the reedsy-cast series I'm starting, since you told Luna you would like to be one for hers?? XD

Reply

Maya -
17:22 Feb 06, 2021

Okay you can be a good guy in mine, here's the form for non-villians: https://forms.gle/1eqV6vdmhWomPXoBA

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
06:33 Feb 05, 2021

Story request 1: a haunted greenhouse from which people have never returned from Story request 2: an adopted kid gets letters from people who claim to be her parents Story request 3: a parent steals their child's invention idea and make a lifelong profit from it. what do they do with the money?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
04:39 Feb 05, 2021

Celeste! Wanna do my writing quiz?? https://forms.gle/KhviFKES3ZoNo6bs7

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
22:32 Feb 04, 2021

The skribbls now have a doc for chatting (kinda like Aerin's doc) and if you want to be on it the link is in my bio! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
20:21 Feb 03, 2021

I feel sick, so yeah, warnings are good. Wanna be in my first story? It's about superhero teens. Just choose: Hair color, eye color, skin color, power (has to be either element-related or have some restriction, like you can fly, but only when the sun's out) age, and color group. Color groups are red, blue, violet, green, black, and white. They're like Houses. Reds are strong, blues are kind, violets are smart, greens are spunky, blacks are mysterious, and whites are brave. I'm going to give them animals, but for now they're colors. Your...

Reply

Hair: Purple Eye: Rainbow Power: All the breath styles but only when I have a sword Age: teen Color: DEF PURPLe THanks! Also I want it to stay Celeste :D

Reply

15:33 Feb 04, 2021

The sword thing us pretty good, but I need an air elementalist now, I realized, so would you be okay if I changed it? Maybe you get the other ones later?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

WOWOWOW! This was awesome! Can I just say I was hooked on the second line? XD Great job! Anyways, HEYO! I feel like we havenโ€™t talked in fOrEvEr! XD

Reply

Yea, I loved it! XDDD Eh... Not all that well. I may or may not have two giant projects due tomorrow which Iโ€™ve barely even started on, and I might be procrastinating because I seriously donโ€™t wanna do them... XD But what about you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
18:47 May 05, 2022

0 - 0 Dang- Wasn' expecting that Good job writing this

Reply

Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.